Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 2,861 to 2,880 of 4,371

TCJester

Where can we find the pre data packs to download? It's the 14th here in Australia, weren't they supposed to be available after the direct?

TCJester

Grumblevolcano

I hope they're available before launch, 10GB will take a long time to download.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TCJester

Blast. Thanks anyway Tsurii. 👍

TCJester

Hendesu

Thank you SJW, NOA, and Feminists who wanted the boob slider to be removed. Thanks for ruining the little feature that makes this game great. It's so nice that all females has the same breast side. But, how can we stay calm when there's more inappropriate content in this game? We should letter Nintendo to remove all swim shorts and bikinis in this game. Nintendo should also make all females heavily dressed and make them independent. We don't want to hurt innocent kids eyes. They must be protected from this nonsense of a game! And all characters who die are instead "sent to the shadow realm".

But seriously, if Nintendo of America keeps censoring more stuff, I'm canceling my preorder.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

shingi_70

Eh...not a big deal, don't mind the changes to some of the characters but boob slider is something I don't care about either way.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Ralizah

Hendesu wrote:

But seriously, if Nintendo of America keeps censoring more stuff, I'm canceling my preorder.

So the censorship is different in Europe?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

Everyone has different standards for what is "appropriate." Some people are offended by the half-naked 13 year old. Others are offended by the mere existence of a breast size slider. This is the problem with censorship: it damages the artistic quality of the original work and attempts to impose one set of moral standards on everyone.

shingi_70

Man, this game could be a big deal but it seems like Nintendo is just letting this one come out without a big media push.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 wrote:

To me, this only really changes WHO on the internet I will want to see punched in the throat for being a whiny *****. Well ok, that award goes to Fire Emblem purists, but still...if anything Polygon lucked out today since they don't get to embarrass themselves.

My reaction finding out boob slider was in the game: "ok..."
My reaction finding out boob slider was taking out of the game: "ok..."

shrugs

I'm requoting myself to reconfirm my justified hatred of people whose opinions become obnoxious.

I don't even agree with this change, for the record.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

To me, this only really changes WHO on the internet I will want to see punched in the throat for being a whiny *****. Well ok, that award goes to Fire Emblem purists, but still...if anything Polygon lucked out today since they don't get to embarrass themselves.

Kinda sounds like you just don't like anyone who has principles!
These things aren't symmetric in the way you're trying to imply. One of the options allows for everyone to be kept happy, because it's optional. Whereas removing something guarantees you'll annoy some people.
If all you care about is the intensity with which people express their ideas, rather than the actual logic of those ideas, you end up inevitably supporting nonsense.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

VelvetElvis

shingi_70 wrote:

Man, this game could be a big deal but it seems like Nintendo is just letting this one come out without a big media push.

Now this is something that irks me more than sliding boobs.

Nintendo's marketing — particularly in western territories — is one of its biggest faults, in my estimation. It's either not there or it embarrasses everybody when it shows up. Can you imagine the noise other publishers would make about an open-world game of this scale?

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Kinda sounds like you just don't like anyone who has principles!
These things aren't symmetric in the way you're trying to imply. One of the options allows for everyone to be kept happy, because it's optional. Whereas removing something guarantees you'll annoy some people.
If all you care about is the intensity with which people express their ideas, rather than the actual logic of those ideas, you end up inevitably supporting nonsense.

nope. Anyone who is obnoxious should be ignored, no exceptions. I'm not a biased idiot so the fact that I agree with their point is irrelevant to me. There are plenty of people who likely aren't obnoxious who agree with me anyway.

Beyond that though, there are millions of more relevant parts to this game in terms of whether it succeeds or not and this type of controversy is played out anyway.

LaVelle

@kkslider5552000: So how exactly do you police the appropriate level of response to something before we get to call their argument obnoxious? I mean, you've put in a fair word count for your point yourself.

I completely understand why you'd get fed up with internet arguments but I feel like that's only to be expected. I think the debates should be encouraged but you're right that it gets out of hand.

I also understand why people would consider this censorship and I've had quite a think about it. But so far, I haven't changed my opinion that I'm not sorry to see those features go. I'd find it very hard to take the game seriously when I'm presented with the option of sliding the boob sizes around and dressing up prepubescent girls in bikinis. I don't think I'm a prude. I just don't think it adds anything to the game and comes off as tacky.

There are plenty of more fetishistic or satirical games where I'd say it seems more appropriate - so it all becomes a very difficult and personal issue for so many.

For those who are arguing that it's optional. I don't buy that argument. Say if there was a restaurant whose owner voiced racist behaviour - you wouldn't tell diners to just cover their ears or eat somewhere else... the fact that it is happening at all makes people uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong - I don't think the Xenoblade costumes are as bad as racist slurs but I do think they're inappropriate for a game that should be more inclusive and welcoming to a large audience.

Again, I understand everyone else's arguments - but can't see eye to eye with them at the moment. I know it's sacrilege to say so here - but similar issues in Fire Emblem Awakening really tore me out of what was otherwise a game I loved. I don't think it's sexy or 'mature' - it seems sleazy and comes off as parodic.

Sorry for writing so much. It's all been said before but there are my two cents anyway.

Edited on by LaVelle

LaVelle

kkslider5552000

LaVelle wrote:

@kkslider5552000: So how exactly do you police the appropriate level of response to something before we get to call their argument obnoxious? I mean, you've put in a fair word count for your point yourself.

That is subjective ultimately but "a clear overreaction" is the main thing that comes to mind. As an anime fan, I have seen much, much worse examples of censorship via localization in the past, but they were not the sole factor in my enjoyment of it. Even the horrible original One Piece dub has its moments solely by being One Piece, so it's entirely ludicrous to see a single element of character customization be relevant to purchasing decisions outside of a horribly misguided attempt to go against censorship that does nothing but make anti-censorship people look obnoxious and impossibly strict on what's acceptable.

JoyBoy

I don't think anyone who was really keen on playing this game would cancel their purchase just because of the removal. They are just being dramatic about it. The removal is still silly though.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Late

I just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles so I'm at least halfway done before X releases. I bought it couple of years ago and played the first 4,5 hours. I liked it but for some reason I stopped playing it before the game really began. For Xenoblade Chronicles X, I'm wondering if I should preorder the special edition, just get the game when it launches (digital/physical?) or wait for Christmas and get it as a present.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Grumblevolcano

(Regarding your comment on the last page) @Ralizah: Potentially, whenever this kind of censorship is talked about I always point to the differences between the NA and EU versions of Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC. NoE and NoA have different localizations for all games anyway, NoA turns games into memefests whereas NoE generally stays as true to the original material as is reasonable.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

nope. Anyone who is obnoxious should be ignored, no exceptions. I'm not a biased idiot so the fact that I agree with their point is irrelevant to me. There are plenty of people who likely aren't obnoxious who agree with me anyway.

That's ridiculous.
Person A is infecting the water supply in an attempt to give everyone cancer. He is obnoxious.
Person B has the cure for cancer but because people won't listen to him and he keeps getting attacked as a conman, he becomes obnoxious.
These should both be ignored?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano: Do they? I was under the impression that some games were largely the same in terms of censorship and translation, such as the new Fatal Frame game. I was also under the impression that the original Xenoblade was identifical between regions.

shingi_70

VelvetElvis wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Now this is something that irks me more than sliding boobs.

Nintendo's marketing — particularly in western territories — is one of its biggest faults, in my estimation. It's either not there or it embarrasses everybody when it shows up. Can you imagine the noise other publishers would make about an open-world game of this scale?

Yep no doubt Sony and Microsoft will market the hell out of Horizon and Scalebound. It's weird since I remember nitnendo attributing a major marketing push to the success that Fire Emblem Awakening and Braverly Default had in the western markets. I can only assume that they assume that whoever owns the Wii U will be picking up the game.

WAT!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic