Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 2,801 to 2,820 of 4,371

Spoony_Tech

I like my English no matter how bad it is.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Dezzy

VelvetElvis wrote:

According to Tech Times, Skyrim's world is about 39 square kilometers. The same source puts The Witcher 3 at roughly 3.5 times that, or 136.5km^2., while Vault-Tec says Fallout 4 is roughly 77.7km^2. That's a total of 253.2km^2. Meanwhile, Famitsu reports that Xenoblade Chronicles X is about 400km^2, which pretty cleanly outclasses that.

I've only played a bit of the Witcher 3 but I didn't get the sense it was that much bigger than Skyrim.
Also, kinda shocked Xenoblade is that big. I thought it would definitely be bigger than those others but not THAT much bigger.
It almost seems like it's so big that they'll struggle to make it interesting. Hope there's a bit more civilisation than just NLA. Need a few small villages or something across the map if its that big.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

erv

@Dezzy: oh I have little doubt they were able to make it interesting. They included these guys after all:

Untitled

http://ow.ly/UusCU

Edited on by erv

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Dezzy

Not quite what I was looking for.

Blast

Untitled

THIS IS MY REACTION IF XCX GETS A DEMO ANNOUNCED AT THE NINTENDO DIRECT!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Dezzy

Demos don't really work for open world games. You can't let them explore too much of the world and do too much without devaluing the actual retail game. Yet you need to include a lot of data for all of the landscape in the background, given that you can see for a few miles in every direction -> massive waste of storage needed.

VelvetElvis

Dezzy wrote:

Also, kinda shocked Xenoblade is that big. I thought it would definitely be bigger than those others but not THAT much bigger.

Yeah, it's a pretty staggering statistic. What impresses me most is that there is virtually no loading (only for start up and fast travel) — you can even fly over the gates of NLA and into the entirety of the world. It also appears to be a whole lot less buggy than what has become the unfortunate norm for open-world games. I really feel as though the game isn't getting its due among its open-world brethren, in terms of press, but that opens up a whole other can of worms involving media mindshare and the Wii U.

Dezzy wrote:

It almost seems like it's so big that they'll struggle to make it interesting. Hope there's a bit more civilisation than just NLA. Need a few small villages or something across the map if its that big.

As far as I know, NLA is the only major hub of civilization, but it's apparently massive (mind you, once Japanese impressions started rolling in, I stepped away from a lot of coverage so as not to spoil myself).

In terms of fullness, I feel as though the emphasis is on exploring the landscape itself (given the game's plot), picking up collectibles, and encountering a wide variety of enemies. While I've heard that there are a few sidequests scattered on the map, you mostly get sidequests from NLA. Like the first Xenoblade, it looks more MMO style than the likes of a Bethesda game or something like The Witcher 3 — a little more removed rather than exploring random dungeons or the minutia of a hermit's hut.

Now, folks who have played the import and whatnot might be able to correct me or clarify, but those are the impressions I get. I enjoyed the hell out of exploring in Xenoblade Chronicles, so this game's at the top of my list. But I could see where it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

Dezzy

That's a good point actually, that accounts for some of the difference in size, Skyrim and Witcher have a lot more indoor stuff going on.
This Xenoblade looks a bit like the prequel in that it's 99% outdoors.

Blast

Tsurii wrote:

I think a trial like the one for Project Zero could work for Xenoblade too. I'm pretty sure that the first couple chapters restrict you to a "small" area in Primordia to ease you into the different mechanics and not overwhelm the player with throwing them into the wide, open world right away without knowing how anything works. Maybe they could/will give us an option like that, let everyone create a character, derp a but around a part of the first continent and tease you with the structures and geography you can see in every direction from that enclosed area. Basically the tree house demo from 2014, everything up to the point when you enter NLA for the first time.

Please work for Nintendo

Master of the Hype Train

Dezzy

Tsurii wrote:

I think a trial like the one for Project Zero could work for Xenoblade too. I'm pretty sure that the first couple chapters restrict you to a "small" area in Primordia to ease you into the different mechanics and not overwhelm the player with throwing them into the wide, open world right away without knowing how anything works. Maybe they could/will give us an option like that, let everyone create a character, derp a but around a part of the first continent and tease you with the structures and geography you can see in every direction from that enclosed area. Basically the tree house demo from 2014, everything up to the point when you enter NLA for the first time.

You didn't address the point I made though. To do that they'd have be insanely wasteful with the file size because it's an open world game. They'd have to include a hell of a lot of stuff in the demo download that's there purely for the sake of being in the background.

shingi_70

A demo for open world games typically are difficult but can be done. You'd have to give them invisible walls and stop the demo at a transferable level cap.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Dezzy

shingi_70 wrote:

A demo for open world games typically are difficult but can be done. You'd have to give them invisible walls and stop the demo at a transferable level cap.

Invisible walls about 2 miles or so before the end of the environment, given how this game world has been designed to be massively open so you can see far into the distance.

Blast

@Dezzy: Lmao. I will drink your tears when the demo gets announced.

Master of the Hype Train

Joeynator3000

I can already say a demo ain't happening.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Blast

DiscoGentleman wrote:

@Blast: I think you're the only one taking this seriously (aka childishly).
Of course we'd all love a demo- it'd hold us over for the release.

Lol oh I'm fine

Master of the Hype Train

Dezzy

DiscoGentleman wrote:

If they released a demo tomorrow, it'd take me until the release date to download it. I live in the arse-end of nowhere. Our wireless internet is transmitted by people yodeling across the valleys.

Spoony_Tech

Dezzy wrote:

DiscoGentleman wrote:

If they released a demo tomorrow, it'd take me until the release date to download it. I live in the arse-end of nowhere. Our wireless internet is transmitted by people yodeling across the valleys.

Comment of the day!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

YorkshireNed

There can't be a demo, the thing is too big!
Hmmm, now wondering who it is best to pre-order off in the UK...Game or Nintendo Store...who will mail it first?

http://www.wasistdas.co.uk

my website for krautrock, experimental, weird music

WiiWareWave

@DiscoGentleman: Lol! Yeah it usually takes an hour per GB with my connection so a game of that size would roughly take a full day to download.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic