Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 2,761 to 2,780 of 4,371

Blast

The wait is almost over.... Awwww yeah!!! And you guys know how I said don't trust reviewers? Well worrying about sales for games you actually care about is dumb and a slippery slope. The people who are interested in the game will get it. Let it go. Don't worry about it.

Edited on by Blast

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CaviarMeths

Blast wrote:

Lmao never trust reviewers. Trust your own judgment.

Reviews are a consumer tool, intended to be used before you make the purchase. The idea is to form a system of trust with a reviewer or small set of reviewers who share your taste in games and use them to decide if a product is worth your money or not. I mean, I guess you could just buy a $70 digital game, not like it, and then be stuck it, but I can't fathom why anybody would do that when they have the tools available at their fingertips to make an informed purchase.

If you're using them to validate your own opinions, you're doing it wrong.

From personal experience though, people who say "never trust reviews" are the ones that flip out when their most anticipated game gets a 7/10.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Blast

SpookyMeths wrote:

Blast wrote:

Reviews are a consumer tool, intended to be used before you make the purchase. The idea is to form a system of trust with a reviewer or small set of reviewers who share your taste in games and use them to decide if a product is worth your money or not. I mean, I guess you could just buy a $70 digital game, not like it, and then be stuck it, but I can't fathom why anybody would do that when they have the tools available at their fingertips to make an informed purchase.

From personal experience though, people who say "never trust reviews" are the ones that flip out when their most anticipated game gets a 7/10.

Yeah, no. Never trust reviewers. Never. Drakengard 3 is one of my favorite games and it got negative reviews everywhere. Making an informed purchase is watching a gameplay video... Not listening to a random stranger. And a 7/10 isn't even bad but reviewers make it sound bad.

Master of the Hype Train

CaviarMeths

Drakengard 3 is one of my favorite games and it got negative reviews everywhere.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Blast

SpookyMeths wrote:

Drakengard 3 is one of my favorite games and it got negative reviews everywhere.

??? People use reviews to validate what games they buy even though they shouldn't. Drakengard 3 didn't get super positive reviews but I still enjoyed it. What's your point, sir?

Master of the Hype Train

LzWinky

Blast wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Blast wrote:

Yeah, no. Never trust reviewers. Never. Drakengard 3 is one of my favorite games and it got negative reviews everywhere. Making an informed purchase is watching a gameplay video... Not listening to a random stranger. And a 7/10 isn't even bad but reviewers make it sound bad.

Never trust them? But they gave me another reason to not buy Yoshi's New Island (along with an atrocious soundtrack and awful ending)

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Blast

LztheQuack wrote:

Blast wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Blast wrote:

Never trust them? But they gave me another reason to not buy Yoshi's New Island (along with an atrocious soundtrack and awful ending)

Did you even play it?

Master of the Hype Train

Spoony_Tech

Reviews are there so I can decide where to better spend my money. If I'm interested in 2 games and one of them doesn't score well I will skip it. I don't have the time or money to buy all I want and reviews tell me which way to go.

Some games like this are no brainers because of past experiences. Of it scores average I'll still get it regardless because I know I'll like it.

Also reviews can sell me on a game. I have zero interest in Tri-force heroes but had it scores in the 8-9 range it would be harder to ignore and that's coming from a huge Zelda fan.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Blast

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Reviews are there so I can decide where to better spend my money. If I'm interested in 2 games and one of them doesn't score well I will skip it. I don't have the time or money to buy all I want and reviews tell me which way to go.

Some games like this are no brainers because of past experiences. Of it scores average I'll still get it regardless because I know I'll like it.

Also reviews can sell me on a game. I have zero interest in Tri-force heroes but had it scores in the 8-9 range it would be harder to ignore and that's coming from a huge Zelda fan.

Lmao... Wow.... Whatever floats your boat, dude.

Master of the Hype Train

Ralizah

I think I'm about there with Blast on the never trusting reviewers thing. Particularly with Japanese games. I think what most Western reviewers are looking for in a game conflicts sharply with most Japanese game design. Also, I'm tired of Western reviewers wanting to appear socially progressive and turning their reviews of certain games into rants about the evils of cartoon women showing off their bodies or possessing large bosoms.

Granted, I'll still use reviews to tell if something is a complete turd. This works better with movies, though, as games like Fallout: New Vegas can release in a barely working state and still get good reviews.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Also, I'm tired of Western reviewers wanting to appear socially progressive and turning their reviews of certain games into rants about the evils of cartoon women showing off their bodies or possessing large bosoms.

I present to you the official archetype of the "social progressive" game review: http://killscreendaily.com/articles/design-punish-review-pris...

This is quite genuinely one of the worst things you'll ever read. Although it's not sexism but racism that this brave knight is here to save us from.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Blast

DiscoGentleman wrote:

@Ralizah: totally agree. And that is pretty true for me about movies...

My issue is that everyone gets stuck on the damn number. Everyone wants to know a x/10 score so they can oversimplify it. A 7 means something different to one person than the next.
If people actually read the (hopefully) well-thought opinions in the review, and read just a blurb about the reviewer's history with games, then I'd have no issue.

That's the thing. All people see is the score. And reading an actual well thought review on the Internet????? Lol pfft.

Master of the Hype Train

Ralizah

@Dezzy: Oh wow, that has a lot of howlers in it. Take this bit:
Yet this oddity quickly comes to represent Prison Architect's relationship to its subject matter: for all of Introversion’s developer diaries about their sensitivity to the minutiae of the penal system, Prison Architect is not shy about its distortions and oversights, necessary sacrifices on the thirsty altar of “fun.”

I like the quotation marks around the word "fun," in particular. You can tell he wants to take a bath after using the word.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

The__Goomba

Can someone clear something up for me,The X in the title is it pronounced Cross or Ex,I've been avoiding spoilers so have never heard it said out loud.

Please feel free to follow me on Twitter ✌

Twitter:

Andyliini

The__Goomba wrote:

Can someone clear something up for me,The X in the title is it pronounced Cross or Ex,I've been avoiding spoilers so have never heard it said out loud.

In Japan it's pronounced Cross, but in the West it's pronounced Ex. Iwata has mentioned them both in past Nintendo Directs.

Dunno how I feel.

Nintendo Network ID: Andyliini | Twitter:

VelvetElvis

In terms of reviews, I get where you're coming from, @Blast. And I agree — I personally let past experience (development team, director, etc.), concept, gameplay previews and videos, user impressions, and some reviews from sources I jell with influence my purchases, but ultimately, the only review that counts is your own. As a fan of off-kilter and experimental games, I've seen plenty of personal favorites get shat on by the gaming media.

Bringing the topic back to Xenoblade X, I don't think the concern (or interest, rather — "concern" is probably too strong a word) stems from potentially bad reviews influencing our own purchases. Speaking for myself, I'm already on media blackout and could give half a rat's ass if the game gets scored a -10 out of 5,000. It's my most anticipated game of the year; I will happily be there on day one, regardless.

However, as hobbyists and folks who follow the gaming industry and Nintendo, it is of interest to some of us if the press harps on the game's performance as a result of Nintendo not making the game's downloadable performance packs available to reviewers. I love the company to pieces, but we all know they're capable of some boneheaded moves — not offering the performance packs to the press would certainly be a mistake. It would be disappointing, at least to me, if reviewers weren't given the same experience that many players will have.

That said, it was never clarified whether or not reviewers will have the performance packs — @Neko_Ichigofan may have just been talking about the character DLC, which is what started this whole foray into review discussion. So this may be a non-issue.

VelvetElvis

Joeynator3000

There, another survival guide thingy was uploaded for you guys. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Dezzy

Looking pretty awesome, yet again.
I particularly enjoy the skells being destroyed by the diplodocus and then the tiny little person falling out.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic