Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 2,441 to 2,460 of 4,371

Dezzy

CaviarMeths wrote:

Some of it is. The opening and closing "fithos lusec wecos vinosec" is jibberish.

What's the actual translation? Or are they not words at all?

"The cat sat on the mat"?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Blast

So has anyone here played Persona 3 FES? I've been playing that lately it nailed how a silent protagonist can work in a JRPG. That protagonist is silent in that game BUT I still feel vital in the game. I'm not a bystander. The game makes you feel important and you actually feel connected to various characters because of YOUR actions. I really hope that XCX manages to pull that off, too. The hear to heart mechanic in XCX should pretty much just copy and improve what Persona 3 FES did, in my opinion. I want Cross and Elma to have a friendship. Just because Cross doesn't speak, that doesn't mean Elma and Cross can't go grow close. Heck, have Lynlee tease Cross and Elma growing close together as friends. I would love for there to be a cute scene of Elma trying on a dress or something and Cross has the option to say something to her. There's just SOOOO much potential in giving characters a great background and personality to work with. Persona 3 FES brilliantly shows me that and I haven't even finished the game yet.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

TuVictus

I sort of agree with the songs with lyrics sentiment. I played the original Persona lately and almost all the music had lyrics and it felt so out of place. Like it didn't belong in a game background. But after a while it just got stuck in my head anyway so I probably won't mind this game's decisions either way.

TuVictus

Blast

Operative wrote:

I sort of agree with the songs with lyrics sentiment. I played the original Persona lately and almost all the music had lyrics and it felt so out of place. Like it didn't belong in a game background. But after a while it just got stuck in my head anyway so I probably won't mind this game's decisions either way.

Some of Persona 3 FES soundtrack is amazing. Some of the songs have words and they fit the game's mood and atmosphere. I'm not worried about music quality in XCX.

Master of the Hype Train

Smash_kirby

Operative wrote:

In all honesty the music with lyrics in Persona got me more connected to the game. The music connected me to the character's view of thinking. Persona is a great example of using lyric music to convey a silent protagonist's mind while also letting you implant yourself onto them.

Smash_kirby

Blast

Smash_kirby wrote:

Operative wrote:

In all honesty the music with lyrics in Persona got me more connected to the game. The music connected me to the character's view of thinking. Persona is a great example of using lyric music to convey a silent protagonist's mind while also letting you implant yourself onto them.

EXACTLY!!!

Master of the Hype Train

TuVictus

If I understood the lyrics perhaps I'd share the same opinion. But the PSP's speakers are pretty terrible. Liked the rhythm though. There's something fun about having such upbeat music

TuVictus

Blast

The wait for this game is quite unbearable...

Master of the Hype Train

nacho_chicken

Operative wrote:

That's because the Persona PSP remake music was made specifically for the remake. It doesn't fit in because it was made years after the game came out. In case you're curious, here's the original PS1 Persona OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e08LV1iPQQg&list=PL936E86...
Persona 3 and 4 both have fantastic music that actually fit the games; most of the songs have lyrics. Those are more representative of modern Persona's musical vibes.

As far as XBX goes, I'm not too worried about the music having lyrics. Hiroyuki Sawano is in charge there. His anime soundtracks are generally touted as epics beyond compare. His soundtracks for Gundam Unicorn, Attack on Titan, ΛLDNOΛH.ZERO, and Kill La Kill are fantastic. They're interesting to me in that they sound perfect as background music - sometimes even stealing the show; "DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAY" is basically a meme now. Just as well, the soundtracks also hold up to individual listening.

Of course, music is very much subjective, so YMMV.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Dezzy

First review by an english speaker?
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/40799/xenoblade-chr...

9/10. Looking and sounding good. Can't wait! The only sad part is them saying the story won't win any awards. I thought the story for Chronicles was incredible. Although the ending sucked a bit.

Edited on by Dezzy

OmegaMetroid93

We also have to keep into account that he played the japanese version, and so his review doesn't tell us anything about how the localization will be. If the writing turns out to be fantastic, I can forgive the story for not being as amazing as the original. As long as it's fun to play with some nice twists and turns thrown in there. However, if the localization is poor, the story (and sidequests) coud end up being much more of a drag to go through. I do trust the localization team on this, but I won't fully rest well (figure of speech, not literally) until the game comes out here and I can play the english version on my own WiiU.

That said, that review was a blast to read. Thanks for posting!

OmegaMetroid93

Dezzy

I assume, since you distinguished writing from story, writing must just mean dialogue?

CaviarMeths

I distinguish between story and writing. The Lion King, for example, is a simple story, but fantastically written. It's not the story itself, but the way it's told that makes it engaging.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

kkslider5552000

CaviarMeths wrote:

I distinguish between story and writing. The Lion King, for example, is a simple story, but fantastically written. It's not the story itself, but the way it's told that makes it engaging.

Story is meaningless the vast majority of the time if isn't written well.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

OmegaMetroid93

Indeed, writing and story are different. Generally, writing is more important but if the story is also top-notch, then that just adds to it. Xenoblade Chronicles had both.
I really like the Lion King example, CaviarMeths.

OmegaMetroid93

Dezzy

CaviarMeths wrote:

Oh ok, I get what you're saying. I usually use the terms "plot" and "storytelling" to make that distinction. Same thing though.

TheLilK98

DiscoGentleman wrote:

I'm taking any criticisms of the story/writing with salt- is the guy fluent enough in Japanese to not only understand, but appreciate and be emotionally engaged? Language barriers can prevent that.

To be fair, he lives in Japan from my understanding so I'd assume he has to be pretty fluent.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter:

Dezzy

The english translation of Chronicles was very good. I'm sure this one will be too!

OmegaMetroid93

Well, it is a different team this time around. Still, Nintendo is usually good with their translations.

OmegaMetroid93

Grumblevolcano

@OmegaMetroid93: I disagree, Nintendo does way too much censoring in translations. Fire Emblem Awakening is a perfect example of this and I assume more of it in Fates.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic