Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 2,381 to 2,400 of 4,371

Jaz007

Ah, I forgot it was a preview and not a review. I agree then.

Jaz007

shingi_70

@nacho_chicken

Its much more interesting to get the view of someone who isn't exactly a fan of the game or series in question than a die hard fan who will put up with game's flaws and such. (Look at how the lack of content in splatoon got glossed over by most people at pre-launch);

The writer of the article was on last week's Axe of the Blood God podcast and talks more about the game including what he likes and thinks is cool. Overall he felt that the side quests aren't as meaty or fleshed out as something in the Witcher 3 (he says there's about two dozen side quests with actual story) and there's a ton of grind to them and the various factions. He says something to the effect of the quests are boring, and the battles are a slog, the story is paper thin, but exploring is what he's spent hours on.

Just from watching the videos it looks alot like Dragon Age Inquisition are for better or worse it plays like an offline MMO.

It sounds like none of you actually read the article, which is coming from someone who has already beat the game To quote some good and bad

The main story of Xenoblade X is not exactly meaty—it is only 12 missions long. However, that doesn’t mean the game isn’t packed with other content. There a numerous side quests to be done in between story missions—one or two of which are usually prerequisites for starting the next story mission.

These quests take two forms. The first are quest board-style quests with no story component, just a blurb telling you where to go or what to do. The other set of side quests are called “bond” quests. These quests allow you to create an emotional bond with various citizens of New L.A. You get a few short cutscenes detailing their lives and problems in the crashed space colony.

So despite the large amount of skills, weapons, and classes in Xenoblade X, I found the game’s combat to be a slog more often than not. Not only is the combat boring, but painfully slow as well—even by MMORPG standards. Normal battles against single monsters of the same level rarely take less than a minute—and often much longer.

Things do speed up a bit in battle once you get a team of fully loaded-out mecha—which happens around the game’s midway point—but then you have to deal with fuel and cash flow issues. However, a mecha has one other fantastic quality: It makes exploring the planet much faster and easier.

While outwardly simple, Xenoblade X is a game brimming with hidden complexity. Take the aforementioned internet hub points, for example. Instead of being nothing more than fast travel points, building the planet’s internet infrastructure (and accompanying mini-game) is actually your main source of income on Mira.

The monsters don’t drop cash. Instead, they drop materials that can be used in the game’s vast crafting system to make everything from items and accessories to weapons and mecha parts. Another neat addition is that the armor you wear makes the maker’s company more popular—thus allowing them to put out more powerful—and badass-looking—armors for a more reasonable price.

If I were to describe my 70 hours with Xenoblade X in one word, it would be “boredom.” The main story did little to get me invested, the side quests were repetitive at best, and the combat was a painfully monotonous slog even with the advanced classes unlocked.

The game’s one redeeming feature is the world of Mira itself. In the years to come, I hope that the hours I spent exploring beautiful landscapes of this alien world are what I remember about Xenoblade X, and not, you know, everything else.

Now there's alot to hate about Kotaku (that Gawker layout), however they do put out some good breaking stories in the industry like the AC syndciate leak and the Phantom Dust controversy form earlier this year.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Blast

@shingi_70 I can't believe you posted huge chunks from that Kotaku guy. Please don't ever do that again. That's like me posting huge paragraphs of a guy whose ranting on Bloodborne or any other game.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

nacho_chicken

shingi_70 wrote:

@nacho_chicken

Its much more interesting to get the view of someone who isn't exactly a fan of the game or series in question than a die hard fan who will put up with game's flaws and such. (Look at how the lack of content in splatoon got glossed over by most people at pre-launch);

[...]

It sounds like none of you actually read the article, which is coming from someone who has already beat the game.

He doesn't really like the game too much. That's fine. I have nothing against him, his opinions on how "grindy" or "boring" the game is, or his opinions on the battle system. It's just that it seems that the game he's talking about and the game I've read reviews from Japanese players on - who have also already beaten the game - seem to be two very different beasts.

All the Japanese reviews I've read are saying that the combat flows better and is far more strategic than its predecessor - which had a battle system that was already considered very nuanced in nearly every review I've read on it. They say the game is more focused on exploration, but many consider the story very deep. They praise the amount of story content in the game's huge open world, even using the word "countless". A few have called out a bit of a grind, but "grindyness" is very subjective. I don't find Etrian Odyssey grindy at all, for example, while others may feel that even Final Fantasy VII was just endless battling.

My problem lies in why Kotaku picked him. He'd probably give the game a 6/10. The game is getting tons upon tons of 9/10s and 10/10s in Japan. This is not to say that I think his opinion is not worth considering; I think it is. The fact of the matter is that Kotaku didn't publish Richard Eisenbeis' article to offer a second opinion on a game many are fanboying about. They cherry-picked him to incite fanboy rage and controversy. Regardless of whether or not they post a few decent articles now and then, Kotaku is not primarily a games journalism site. It is a clickbaiting ad-revenue factory first and foremost, just like every other site owned by Gawker.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

shingi_70

nacho_chicken wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

@nacho_chicken

[...]

It sounds like none of you actually read the article, which is coming from someone who has already beat the game.

He doesn't really like the game too much. That's fine. I have nothing against him, his opinions on how "grindy" or "boring" the game is, or his opinions on the battle system. It's just that it seems that the game he's talking about and the game I've read reviews from Japanese players on - who have also already beaten the game - seem to be two very different beasts.

All the Japanese reviews I've read are saying that the combat flows better and is far more strategic than its predecessor - which had a battle system that was already considered very nuanced in nearly every review I've read on it. They say the game is more focused on exploration, but many consider the story very deep. They praise the amount of story content in the game's huge open world, even using the word "countless". A few have called out a bit of a grind, but "grindyness" is very subjective. I don't find Etrian Odyssey grindy at all, for example, while others may feel that even Final Fantasy VII was just endless battling.

My problem lies in why Kotaku picked him. He'd probably give the game a 6/10. The game is getting tons upon tons of 9/10s and 10/10s in Japan. This is not to say that I think his opinion is not worth considering; I think it is. The fact of the matter is that Kotaku didn't publish Richard Eisenbeis' article to offer a second opinion on a game many are fanboying about. They cherry-picked him to incite fanboy rage and controversy. Regardless of whether or not they post a few decent articles now and then, Kotaku is not primarily a games journalism site. It is a clickbaiting ad-revenue factory first and foremost, just like every other site owned by Gawker.

It actually seems like they picked them since he's the if forgien reporter out of Japan, which would also make this review a japense review. You also have to take into account that even with Xeniblade being more open a lot of it still is very different to your typical western RPG, in gameplay style but narrative choices as well.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

nacho_chicken

shingi_70 wrote:

make this review a japense review

It's a preview, not a review. Kotaku knows they'd get blown out by the Nintendo fanboys if this was their actual review.

Twitter:

VoodooTrumpet

Kotaku simply peddle clickbait and garbage. They are the pr*cks behind the whole Gamergate nonsense.

She was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8393-7065-0231 | Nintendo Network ID: DieuEtMonDroit

OmegaMetroid93

I remember watching Richard's review on the first Xenoblade which was pretty negative as well.
That game turned out to be one of my favourite games of all time.
Him not liking the sequel to it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I might also point out that he gave Final Fantasy XIII a very positive review. If you enjoyed the first Xenoblade, I don't think you should be taking his opinions seriously in the slightest. Instead, look for reported FACTS and take them to mind.

I've seen a fair bit of this game (although nothing story-related) and most of it seems to expand and improve on the original game by a LOT. There are some nitpicks and quite frankly odd decisions in there, but for the most part, I'm as excited for the game now as I was a year ago.
I really hope we get a release date for the west at E3 this year.

Edited on by OmegaMetroid93

OmegaMetroid93

Blast

Kotaku logic: "I hate pizza so I'm gonna preview some pizza!"

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

I'm soooo excited to hear the English voice acting!!!

Master of the Hype Train

nacho_chicken

Blast wrote:

Not quite. It's actually "Other people love pizza! I'm going to publish an article from someone who hates pizza so more people will come to our site and yell at us while simultaneously making us more money!"
A bit more complicated, but that's the business. I can't fault anyone at Kotaku for wanting to make more money.

I think that's enough of the Kotaku-bashing. This is the Xenoblade X topic, not the "Bring Your Bat, There's a Dead Horse Here!" topic. I would prefer to keep the subject away from the controversy they want to start so very much, and keep it on the game itself.

On that, what legitimate criticism have you heard of the game? One Famitsu reviewer mentioned that some deeper game systems are poorly explained in-game.

Twitter:

Blast

nacho_chicken wrote:

Blast wrote:

Not quite. It's actually "Other people love pizza! I'm going to publish an article from someone who hates pizza so more people will come to our site and yell at us while simultaneously making us more money!"
A bit more complicated, but that's the business. I can't fault anyone at Kotaku for wanting to make more money.

I think that's enough of the Kotaku-bashing. This is the Xenoblade X topic, not the "Bring Your Bat, There's a Dead Horse Here!" topic. I would prefer to keep the subject away from the controversy they want to start so very much, and keep it on the game itself.

On that, what legitimate criticism have you heard of the game? One Famitsu reviewer mentioned that some deeper game systems are poorly explained in-game.

Just play the game for yourself when you get it. It's not good to read a review then play a game with those reviews' words in your head.

Master of the Hype Train

Eat_Pie

nacho_chicken wrote:

Blast wrote:

I checked out some Japanese reviews on the game, and there were 9s and 10s across the board. I wouldn't worry about Kotaku and their preview.

Edited on by Eat_Pie

Eat_Pie

nacho_chicken

Eat_Pie wrote:

I checked out some Japanese reviews on the game, and there were 9s and 10s across the board. I wouldn't worry about Kotaku and their review.

*preview
Cheeky fellow. I thought we were off of that subject

Xenoblade X is by no means a perfect game. There will be flaws, just like every other game. Of course, some "flaws" are very subjective, but all criticism is worth considering. I'm just curious what points of criticism others have seen among various reviews/previews.

Twitter:

Eat_Pie

nacho_chicken wrote:

Eat_Pie wrote:

I checked out some Japanese reviews on the game, and there were 9s and 10s across the board. I wouldn't worry about Kotaku and their review.

*preview
Cheeky fellow. I thought we were off of that subject

Xenoblade X is by no means a perfect game. There will be flaws, just like every other game. Of course, some "flaws" are very subjective, but all criticism is worth considering. I'm just curious what points of criticism others have seen among various reviews/previews.

Sorry, I didn't intentionally mean to put review. As for criticisms, from what I'm reading, the music isn't as good(which is subjective) and the cutscenes are too long. I've also read that is has bad pacing, and doesn't explain the controls well enough, throwing the player out into the open.
Read the rest of the criticisms/reviews here: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/05/xenoblade-chronicles-x-n...

Eat_Pie

TuVictus

All reviews by their very nature are subjective. So far, I agree about the music not being as good. In fact, I think I'll like the game less than the original just because I'm more of a fantasy guy than a sci-fi guy. Nothing will match the epic feeling of the Bionis and Mechonis.

But I will still play the heck out of this game

TuVictus

Hendesu

Why is Xenoblade X gameplay is so oddly similar to FF15? I recently noticed this.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

Blast

Sakurai wrote:

Why is Xenoblade X gameplay is so oddly similar to FF15? I recently noticed this.

A LONG TIME AGO... Square Enix sent out a survey asking people what was they're most anticipated game. Xenoblade Chronicles X was high on the list as a option to pic... Final Fantasy XV may be the older product but the Square Enix guys are obviously looking at it for inspiration for their own game. I know this may sound stupid... but there was a time where it seemed like Square Enix was trying to make Final Fantasy XV look superior to XCX. Example: In one of the early trailers for XCX, Cross steps out his/her pod with his/her hand up to block out the harsh light coming in. In one of the Final Fantasy XV trailers and in the demo... There's literally a part of Noctis stepping outside his tent with his hand up trying to block out the harsh light coming in... Another example is when everyone was talking about how cool the monsters and world looked in the last few XCX trailers. Then suddenly... Square Enix put out these videos of Noctis and his crew looking at creatures and the world very close up.

I know that all sounds dumb but I couldn't help but notice that stuff....

But in the end... they are both very different games. Final Fantasy XV is really pushing for this "brother journey" experience. The game starts off with all guys in the party. Meanwhile in XCX.... its more about exploration and carving our own journey. Your first party members are 2 females, too. Final Fantasy XV looks very impressive and so does XCX, in my opinion.

Master of the Hype Train

nacho_chicken

Sakurai wrote:

I don't know. FFXV looks more like Kingdom Hearts and FF Type-0 gameplay than Xenoblade to me.
Not that that's bad, just wildly different.

Xenoblade X plays like a fast-paced single-player MMO. Regular attacks are automatic, and you have a skill panel with recharge timers after use.

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic