Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 4,371

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

My ideal MH game is open world at 1080p 60fps, which is rather processing-intensive; that's why I thought 'PS4'.

So port begging then.

I don't think it makes any business sense for Capcom to target consoles, at least not for their primary platform. Not only have they found their audience on 3DS, but development costs are lower there than anywhere else. It's the lowest risk and highest return. A 1080p 60fps game on PS4 would cost a magnitude more to develop and probably not even sell half as well. Japanese people just don't really play party-based social games on consoles. Wii U did great in Japan in the launch window, but that sure didn't help the sales of MH3U.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

My ideal MH game is open world at 1080p 60fps, which is rather processing-intensive; that's why I thought 'PS4'.

So port begging then.

"...the greatest happiness of the greatest number, that is the measure of right and wrong."

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Blast

It really is looking like Cross will only speak in battle moments and certain scenes. In most cut scenes I've seen from footage, he is doing stuff and reacting to people but he hardly ever opens his mouth.

Basically... He's the guy from Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse... Another game that should've hit Wii U, by the way.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

This half-baked chibified stuff just screams 'stopgap until Monster Hunter 5 on PS4' to me.

Yeah I bet Yokai Watch is headed to PS4 too.

And yeah I'm assuming that the dislike bar on that video is a bunch of people like yourself who are personally offended by the art style.

It's just clear to me that the 3DS is a drag on Monster Hunter and the PS4 seems the only optimistic console with a mass market that is open to Japanese games.

Have you PLAYED MH3U or MH4U with the 3D on? I can't imagine playing MH without it. It completely sucks you into the game world.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Grumblevolcano

iKhan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

This half-baked chibified stuff just screams 'stopgap until Monster Hunter 5 on PS4' to me.

And yeah I'm assuming that the dislike bar on that video is a bunch of people like yourself who are personally offended by the art style.

It's just clear to me that the 3DS is a drag on Monster Hunter and the PS4 seems the only optimistic console with a mass market that is open to Japanese games.

Have you PLAYED MH3U or MH4U with the 3D on? I can't imagine playing MH without it. It completely sucks you into the game world.

PS4 does have an alternative to 3D though, Project Morpheus.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

PS4 does have an alternative to 3D though, Project Morpheus.

You mean the non-mandatory peripheral that is likely very expensive and will likely have an install base too small to cater too?

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Hy8ogen

@Grumblevolcano Project Morpheus is probably going to flop. VR is nice and all but it will never get fully utilized.

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

Grumblevolcano

@Hy8ogen In the grand scheme of things, so did 3D.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Hy8ogen

@Grumblevolcano It has been proven again and again that anything that requires an addition wearable peripheral is not going to stick. The original 3DS's 3D is a dog due to its godawful viewing angle. The New 3DS however, is simply fantastic. But yeah in the grand scheme of things, 3D flopped harder than my oversized belly.

Except the theaters though, iMax 3D is fantastic.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

iKhan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Hy8ogen In the grand scheme of things, so did 3D.

Yes, but unlike PMorpheus, it actually got utilized.

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

You mean the non-mandatory peripheral that is likely very expensive and will likely have an install base too small to cater too?

I'll take VR over 3D any day. 3D is a nice gimmick, but it always gets in the way of fast, precise, action-based gameplay like Monster Hunter, etc. VR doesn't seem like it'd do that. Big RPGs like the Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls 6, and, in an ideal world, Zelda U seem perfect for it. All the better to draw you into the world.

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I'll take VR over 3D any day. 3D is a nice gimmick, but it always gets in the way of fast, precise, action-based gameplay like Monster Hunter, etc. VR doesn't seem like it'd do that. Big RPGs like the Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls 6, and, in an ideal world, Zelda U seem perfect for it. All the better to draw you into the world.

Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes that VR will be really cool.

But the entire history of the video game industry suggests that Project Morpheus will flop. Not because it's a bad product, but because of the economics of selling video game peripherals.

When you create a separately peripheral, only a fraction of that main console's install base will get it. Now there is a lot less motive for a developer to put the time and effort into developing features for that peripheral. To make matters worse, Morpheus won't be cheap, so the install base will be very restricted.

I think Oculus has a better shot because it's designed for the far more open PC platform, where, even if developers don't cooperate, there is a thriving mod community that can.

IceClimbers

Can I please have this game already. It looks incredible.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Joeynator3000

Well, since I got into the first game (3DS version), it looks like I may end up getting this one. Kinda reminds me of Kingdom Hearts, lol.

Also, Yoko Shimomura...she's still involved in this one, right? xp

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

But the entire history of the video game industry suggests that Project Morpheus will flop. Not because it's a bad product, but because of the economics of selling video game peripherals.

When you create a separately peripheral, only a fraction of that main console's install base will get it. Now there is a lot less motive for a developer to put the time and effort into developing features for that peripheral. To make matters worse, Morpheus won't be cheap, so the install base will be very restricted.

I think Oculus has a better shot because it's designed for the far more open PC platform, where, even if developers don't cooperate, there is a thriving mod community that can.

I think you're overestimating the amount of effort it will take for first person games to enable VR. Not every Morpheus game needs to be exclusive. In fact, there will probably just be normal AAA first person games with Morpheus as an additional feature.

Selling essentially a launch Wii to PS4 owners isn't the most herculean task.

Edited on by Haru17

Sleepingmudkip

I am afraid that I will get motion sickness from VR or headaches. I wish they had a way for an everyday consumer to try it out before they buy. Anyway imagine an augmented reality Xenoblade game now that would be cool!

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think you're overestimating the amount of effort it will take for first person games to enable VR. Not every Morpheus game needs to be exclusive. In fact, there will probably just be normal AAA first person games with Morpheus as an additional feature.

Selling essentially a launch Wii to PS4 owners isn't the most herculean task.

If I understand correctly, there is a 3D component to VR as well, so that needs to be developed for. I'm not saying every Morpheus game needed to be exclusive. Every Move game didn't need to be exclusive either (and they weren't). But there is some time to develop for, and the cost of that needs to be justified by a small install base.

A luxury peripheral that costs $250 is absolutely hard to sell. Peripherals generally don't sell to more than a quarter of the install base, and with such a high price, I doubt it would reach that.

Blast

IceClimbers wrote:

Can I please have this game already. It looks incredible.

I hope it releases shortly after E3!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Dezzy

iKhan wrote:

If I understand correctly, there is a 3D component to VR as well, so that needs to be developed for.

I don't know anything about it but I would assume it simply requires outputting the scene from 2 slightly different vantage points. 1 for each eye. Which is the functional equivalent of what the 3DS does.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

triforcepower73

Did you guys hear the music preview released a couple days ago? It sounds amazing. Also most of the area themes can be heard for a a short time here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=826&v=wOMmE6bsl_c

Primordial Wilderness Theme(obviously): 11:32
NLA Theme(apparently): 12:12
Valley of Oblivion: 12:48
Land of White Ash: 14:38
Black Steel: 15:26

All that's missing is the Twiluminous Forest Theme.

P.S. Sorry if I got any of the names of the continents wrong. I've heard so many different names for them so I'm just going with what I remember.

Edited on by triforcepower73

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic