Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 4,371

triforcepower73

Oh yeah, anybody know why the guys in the treehouse kept saying "Neo LA" instead of the proper "New LA"? That really annoyed me...

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

RR529

triforcepower73 wrote:

Oh yeah, anybody know why the guys in the treehouse kept saying "Neo LA" instead of the proper "New LA"? That really annoyed me...

They use "neo" for new a lot in Japanese media (for example, the rebuilt Tokyo in the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime is called Neo Tokyo, even in the english dub).

So, at the time of the Treehouse demo, they probably hadn't yet decided to change the "neo" in the western version.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

OmegaMetroid93

Blast wrote:

I love how the game starts off with you meeting Elma and the girl with the Monado in her hair. Then we can explore as much we want before arriving in New Los Angeles!

Judging by the Treehouse demo, you don't meet Rin before visiting NLA. It pretty much just throws you right into the Primordial Wilderness with Elma, and that's that.
But yes, I love that too!

OmegaMetroid93

triforcepower73

RR529 wrote:

triforcepower73 wrote:

They use "neo" for new a lot in Japanese media (for example, the rebuilt Tokyo in the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime is called Neo Tokyo, even in the english dub).

So, at the time of the Treehouse demo, they probably hadn't yet decided to change the "neo" in the western version.

Ah ok. Makes sense. Thanks.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Blast

I'm gonna have sooo much fun customizating Cross!!! I'm gonna make a more anime version of myself and change his name to mine

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

shingi_70

I wonder how overwhelming the game world will be. I've heard that the first xenobalde had a ton too do and playing Dragon Age Inqustion I'm sort of lost even with a bit more guidance.

The three house footage looks promising.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Blast

Shulk is such a cool and likeable character. I really hope Cross can surpass him.

Master of the Hype Train

OmegaMetroid93

I dont expect Cross to be anything but an extension of you. For deeper character development, youll have to look to the rest of the cast.

OmegaMetroid93

kkslider5552000

I'm honestly fine with this. Thinking about it, a decent amount of my favorite JRPGs have silent protagonists (or in Mother 3's case, usually silent protagonists)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

Blast wrote:

Shulk is such a cool and likeable character. I really hope Cross can surpass him.

I wouldn't say Shulk was particularly cool or likeable. He was a very neutral character.

Don't get me wrong, his story was interesting, but his personality was flat and poorly conveyed. I'd say that's the case with every party member of Xenoblade except Reyn and Riki

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Blast

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

I wouldn't say Shulk was particularly cool or likeable. He was a very neutral character.

Don't get me wrong, his story was interesting, but his personality was flat and poorly conveyed. I'd say that's the case with every party member of Xenoblade except Reyn and Riki

I couldn't disagree even more... But I respect your opinion. Sharla likes Reyn, Melia likes Shulk, Shulk loves Fiora but likes Melia, Dunban cares for everyone but has a soft spot for Shulk and Fiora, Riki is just adorable... Lol I see Shulk as a really smart guy who wants to do the right thing.

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

I can deal with silent protoganists but if Cross doesn't even speak in scenes then Monolith has lost their minds. Cross should be the JRPG version of Commander Shepard!

Master of the Hype Train

kkslider5552000

Blast wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

I couldn't disagree even more... But I respect your opinion. Sharla likes Reyn, Melia likes Shulk, Shulk loves Fiora but likes Melia, Dunban cares for everyone but has a soft spot for Shulk and Fiora, Riki is just adorable... Lol I see Shulk as a really smart guy who wants to do the right thing.

I'm sort of in the middle. Their catchphrases in battles and the Heart to Hearts give them lots of personality but way too much of the story had like maybe a 10% difference between most of the characters, as they all had the same goal and approached everything usually the same way.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

OmegaMetroid93

Blast wrote:

I can deal with silent protoganists but if Cross doesn't even speak in scenes then Monolith has lost their minds. Cross should be the JRPG version of Commander Shepard!

You just contradicted yourself big-time... lol
I did really like Shulk but I don't mind having a silent protagonist.
Like kkslider said, many of my favourite RPGs (and many of the most highly regarded RPGs of all time) have silent protagonists.
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mother 3, Persona 3, Persona 4...
I don't want a commander shepard, as weird as that sounds.
Either have a silent character for the player to assume the role of, OR have a fully fleshed out character with their own story and personality (like Shulk).
I don't want anything in the middle.

OmegaMetroid93

Blast

OmegaMetroid93 wrote:

Blast wrote:

You just contradicted yourself big-time... lol
I did really like Shulk but I don't mind having a silent protagonist.
Like kkslider said, many of my favourite RPGs (and many of the most highly regarded RPGs of all time) have silent protagonists.
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mother 3, Persona 3, Persona 4...
I don't want a commander shepard, as weird as that sounds.
Either have a silent character for the player to assume the role of, OR have a fully fleshed out character with their own story and personality (like Shulk).
I don't want anything in the middle.

Haha its like... I love silent protagonists like Pokemon trainers, Link, Ness, but I also enjoy protagonists like Shulk and Commander Shepard. I still wish Cross was the JRPG version of Commander Shepard. Seeing Cross not saying a word in a cutscene is gonna hurt....

Master of the Hype Train

iKhan

Blast wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

The whole "wants to do the right thing" element never really clung to me, because Shulk was a character who just wanted to lay scrap to Mechon in revenge. He didn't go out to protect the colony, or prevent something like that from happening again. He wanted Mechon blood. And the game doesn't really question that, everyone just gets behind that. Beyond that, I felt like I never really had a firm grasp on Shulk's character and personality. Sometimes he was righteous, sometimes he was incredibly angry, sometimes he was selfish, sometimes he was lost in obsession with Fiora etc. All of that is fine if it all builds around some core character element, but with Shulk, I really didn't see that. It all just seemed to be all over the place.

This is something I see across Dunban, Fiora, and Sharla. They all just seem so, well, unremarkable. And if I'm gonna be honest, that's not "realistic". Most people I know have a personality I can pinpoint pretty quickly.

Melia is a bit easier to pinpoint, I just hate that "royalty" character archetype. It's the same reason I hated Natalia in Tales of the Abyss. Though I came to like Melia simply because she's an absolute beast in combat.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Blast wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

I'm sort of in the middle. Their catchphrases in battles and the Heart to Hearts give them lots of personality but way too much of the story had like maybe a 10% difference between most of the characters, as they all had the same goal and approached everything usually the same way.

I loved the idea of Heart-to-Hearts, but I'd say that, aside from the Ether Mines, they were the most poorly executed element of Xenoblade. They are strewn all across the world, but most of them you can't view when you first encounter them. This means you either have to make it a point to come back to it, or just ignore it. They needed to do a better job of incentivizing the players to view them.

Tales of Symphonia's secret skits do a MUCH better job of both building character and incentivizing exploration. Every single one made me feel like I understood one of the Party members better, and I felt like I found something worthwhile.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

I loved the idea of Heart-to-Hearts, but I'd say that, aside from the Ether Mines, they were the most poorly executed element of Xenoblade. They are strewn all across the world, but most of them you can't view when you first encounter them. This means you either have to make it a point to come back to it, or just ignore it. They needed to do a better job of incentivizing the players to view them.

Tales of Symphonia's secret skits do a MUCH better job of both building character and incentivizing exploration. Every single one made me feel like I understood one of the Party members better, and I felt like I found something worthwhile.

Your journal keeps track of them, down to which party members you need and what level of bond between them, and you can do instant travel to any landmark in the world.

It's like you played the game without ever looking at your journal at all.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

SpookyMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Your journal keeps track of them, down to which party members you need and what level of bond between them, and you can do instant travel to any landmark in the world.

It's like you played the game without ever looking at your journal at all.

No, I'm aware of that. To be fair, I didn't fully understand skip travel until about halfway through the game, but even then, they didn't work out for me. I like to play as mostly one character in RPGs, because it helps me get familiar with him/her. So I kept either Shulk or Melia in the lead for most of the game, and stuck with only a handful of party members. As a result, I really didn't have balanced Affinity. I wasn't interested enough to go out and boost Affinity for Heart-to-Hearts either, or consistently cross-reference affinity with my outstanding Heart-to-Hearts, they felt very much like an "in the moment" kind of thing.

What might have worked better would be if they actually alerted you when you met the requirements for a Heart-to-Heart you discovered, and offered to transport you directly to that point and back.

Sparx

Speaking of heart to hearts, do you think they'll be in this game?

My avatar is from here

Blast

Sparx wrote:

Speaking of heart to hearts, do you think they'll be in this game?

Yup. I bet there's one right after the journey starts.

Master of the Hype Train

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic