Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 4,371

kkslider5552000

DiscoGentleman wrote:

@kkslider5552000 I know right? The first couple hours of the game and the Mechon stuff that happens in the first town (trying to avoid spoilers), so amazing.

Well even before that. The very, very beginning showing Dunban, Dickson, and Mumkhar fighting the Mechon on Sword Valley...well between that and the interesting world introduction, gave me a lot to grab onto immediately and it was great.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

I don't they could do that with what they just set up, unfortunately, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Any game that starts you in a battle gets an A+ in my book...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I hope it can break the JRPG slow start cliche like the last game did. Xenoblade had a brilliant intro, it gave you a story before actually beginning the story.

I can't say I agree. It took me a while to get into Xenoblade. I really started to fall in love with it once I got to Gaur Plains, and even more after I beat the Ether Mine, but, among the RPG's I've played. Xenoblade probably hooked me pretty late.

Although it's not nearly as bad as Tales of the Abyss, which takes about 10-15 hours to get remotely interesting, and about 20-25 hours to really hook you.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

shingi_70

Didn't we see the begining during the treehouse video. Seemed to start off pretty quickly with a cutscene make your dude and than being sent to kill stuff.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I hope it can break the JRPG slow start cliche like the last game did. Xenoblade had a brilliant intro, it gave you a story before actually beginning the story.

I can't say I agree. It took me a while to get into Xenoblade. I really started to fall in love with it once I got to Gaur Plains, and even more after I beat the Ether Mine, but, among the RPG's I've played. Xenoblade probably hooked me pretty late.

Although it's not nearly as bad as Tales of the Abyss, which takes about 10-15 hours to get remotely interesting, and about 20-25 hours to really hook you.

"When the game expects me to have fun" Isn't always the same as "When I'm actually having fun".

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

"When the game expects me to have fun" Isn't always the same as "When I'm actually having fun".

Yeah, I can see why it would take people a while to get into it, it's more that story-wise was extremely well planned out. Which is highly impressive for a game that was intentionally more focused on gameplay than story (but in this case that might mean they were willing to cut the fat off a story)

triforcepower73

shingi_70 wrote:

Didn't we see the begining during the treehouse video. Seemed to start off pretty quickly with a cutscene make your dude and than being sent to kill stuff.

Yeah I agree it seemed to start off pretty quickly. And unlike the original XC where you start off in a town and from there can head out and explore, in this game you start out in the wilderness and have to make your way back to town.

Also, the guys in the Treehouse seemed to indicate that you could pretty much go anywhere in the beginning area you wanted to. Like one of the guys, when they were visiting the huge dinosaur things by the lake, said that if you go up to the waterfalls, the view is exquisite. And the waterfalls were pretty far away, so I'm assuming that you can already explore quite a large amount of land right at the opening.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

OmegaMetroid93

Xenoblade got me right from the very beginning.
The premise really hooked me and as soon as I took control of Shulk and ran down the initial path, only to have the entirety of Colony 9 open up to me, I was sold.
And from there, it only became better and better and better, with the exception of the Ether Mines, which I found pretty dull after the amazingness that was Bionis' Leg.

Edited on by OmegaMetroid93

OmegaMetroid93

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I don't really know many games that don't intend for you to have fun from nearly the beginning. It's how they succeed that matters.

triforcepower73 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Yeah I agree it seemed to start off pretty quickly. And unlike the original XC where you start off in a town and from there can head out and explore, in this game you start out in the wilderness and have to make your way back to town.

Also, the guys in the Treehouse seemed to indicate that you could pretty much go anywhere in the beginning area you wanted to. Like one of the guys, when they were visiting the huge dinosaur things by the lake, said that if you go up to the waterfalls, the view is exquisite. And the waterfalls were pretty far away, so I'm assuming that you can already explore quite a large amount of land right at the opening.

Actually, I'm slightly concerned about the beginning of XCX. I'm one who generally prefers a call to action pretty early to get invested in an adventure style game (obviously not something like Mario or Sim City). To me it looks like XCX doesn't seem to start with one of these. I may not be a big fan of Shulk's initial motives in Xenoblade, but at least it really called you to action pretty early. That said, the gameplay seems amazing, so usually that can somewhat remedy the problem.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

triforcepower73

iKhan wrote:

triforcepower 73 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Actually, I'm slightly concerned about the beginning of XCX. I'm one who generally prefers a call to action pretty early to get invested in an adventure style game (obviously not something like Mario or Sim City). To me it looks like XCX doesn't seem to start with one of these. I may not be a big fan of Shulk's initial motives in Xenoblade, but at least it really called you to action pretty early. That said, the gameplay seems amazing, so usually that can somewhat remedy the problem.

Well in that case you can just head straight to NLA and get your motives of the story. For me personally, an interesting world with some objective, whether it be small(seeing what's behind that rock structure) or big(traveling to get to and defeat the final boss), is reason enough for me to get excited and explore.

Edited on by triforcepower73

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I don't really know many games that don't intend for you to have fun from nearly the beginning. It's how they succeed that matters.

...you have clearly not played enough RPGs.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Even Chrono Trigger is a vastly overrated game if I stopped playing 4 hours in tbh. And Chrono Trigger has some of the best pacing of the genre arguably.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I haven't played that many, but the bulk of any games I've played that aren't intended to be fun from the beginning are business sims and strategy games, which have direct step-by-step tutorials.

The RPG I've played that really has the most boring opening is Inazuma Eleven, and even then I never felt the game wasn't attempting to be fun. It was trying to deliver enjoyable dialogue and exposition and a semi-enjoyable tutorial. It just fell flat on it's face trying.

I guess if by "expecting you to have fun" you mean that the game opens up the core gameplay to the player, then yeah, I do see what you are saying. I don't necessarily mind these beginning elements if I think they are done well. I actually enjoyed the entire beginning of Twilight Princess, and the beginning slog in Pokemon games isn't too bad when you are getting a first taste of what the game holds.

OmegaMetroid93

So they made new twitter posts saying that from now on, they would update it 2-3 times a week.
Hopefully that's true and that it's actually substantial info rather than just stuff we already know. I guess we'll see.
Just one screenshot is enough to get me hyped.

OmegaMetroid93

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

I guess if by "expecting you to have fun" you mean that the game opens up the core gameplay to the player, then yeah, I do see what you are saying.

Yes, this is what I meant. The beginning of Xenoblade is a blast once you're allowed to go off the beaten path, which I feel you're encouraged to do. My favorite experience in Xenoblade was narrowly avoiding the level 60 pirahnas in the Colony 9 lake only to encounter the Lvl 80 dinosaurs and dodos on the other side, narrowly outrunning them and making it back to safety.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

In my second playthrough, I made it a point not to continue to the next map until I had uncovered as much as the current one as possible. It's a truly wondrous game. Definitely the most explore-worthy game I've ever played in my life.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Blast

I won't mess up any special moments with Elma

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

OmegaMetroid93

I'm not sure whether or not I'll like her yet. She seems a little too stoic for me.
Then again, that's just judging off of what the little bit of japanese dialogue we've gotten makes her sound like.
I really hope the localization will be good... What kind of a resume do the people who are involved with this localization have?

OmegaMetroid93

Blast

OmegaMetroid93 wrote:

I'm not sure whether or not I'll like her yet. She seems a little too stoic for me.
Then again, that's just judging off of what the little bit of japanese dialogue we've gotten makes her sound like.
I really hope the localization will be good... What kind of a resume do the people who are involved with this localization have?

Elma looks like a pretty solider with a mission on her mind. I'm almost positive that she becomes Cross' best friend over time.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic