Forums

Topic: Wonderful 101 uhhh help?

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

bubble_bear

So I finally picked up Wonderful 101, and I must say I am having a hard time getting into the gameplay. I am constantly losing track of my main guy, and I can't seem to pull off the gestures at times... So far it's been a fairly frustrating experience. It seems as though some people really enjoyed this game though, so I feel like there must be a better way to do things. Anyone have any gameplay / style tips? As of now I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of clutter on screen and the (seemingly) sloppiness of the combat. Help?

bubble_bear

ZyroXZ2

gage_wolf wrote:

So I finally picked up Wonderful 101, and I must say I am having a hard time getting into the gameplay. I am constantly losing track of my main guy, and I can't seem to pull off the gestures at times... So far it's been a fairly frustrating experience. It seems as though some people really enjoyed this game though, so I feel like there must be a better way to do things. Anyone have any gameplay / style tips? As of now I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of clutter on screen and the (seemingly) sloppiness of the combat. Help?

Even though I only offered one gameplay hint for the game, I have extensive working knowledge of the game, and can tell you that it will take awhile to "master" the controls. It's quite a learning curve, and let me tell you, even AFTER you THINK you've mastered it, you'll learn how to chain combos and do some seriously devastating damage. The combat system is a LOT deeper than people give it credit for, so give it time, give it your best, and keep pressing on. The truth is this: the game doesn't truly awaken to you until the second playthrough!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2 | Twitter:

Dreamz

I'm currently playing this myself for the first time, and I have to agree that the learning curve is pretty steep (though after getting my feet wet in Eve Online, my tolerance for learning curves like this is much, much higher than it used to be). The first big boss fight was definitely a blast, though.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

arnoldlayne83

You have to have faith on such game.... for me was the same.... the demo didn't really get me, and neither the first 2 hours of gameplay.... but then, slowly, I started to master the controls (use the R stick for line drawing)... at a certain point I got the attack style of each enemy, knowing its strong and weak points and how to counter them..... at the moment the game experience completely changed, where there was frustration now was joy, tension and a lot of "hoo-ray" for each mission complete and medals achieved.... the learning curve is incredibly steep, mainly because there is no real guide from the developers.... that was intentional, as the title is strongly re-playable once you master ur heroes..... I cannot explain it better, just don't give up but keep going (btw boss battles go completely crazy and super funny once you progress in the game, and also the intermediate monster keep changing, you'll never get bored). Pretty sure that u will really enjoy the game

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

Nintendo Network ID: arnoldlayne83

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

So...no one else has any hints, tips, or guides? Yet I'm under the impression you all know how to play it...

Someone already posted the best thing for this, so there's nothing else to say. Get used to the gameplay things and pay attention to the video things and you will win the thing.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

bubble_bear

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

You have to have faith on such game.... for me was the same.... the demo didn't really get me, and neither the first 2 hours of gameplay.... but then, slowly, I started to master the controls (use the R stick for line drawing)... at a certain point I got the attack style of each enemy, knowing its strong and weak points and how to counter them..... at the moment the game experience completely changed, where there was frustration now was joy, tension and a lot of "hoo-ray" for each mission complete and medals achieved.... the learning curve is incredibly steep, mainly because there is no real guide from the developers.... that was intentional, as the title is strongly re-playable once you master ur heroes..... I cannot explain it better, just don't give up but keep going (btw boss battles go completely crazy and super funny once you progress in the game, and also the intermediate monster keep changing, you'll never get bored). Pretty sure that u will really enjoy the game

I was in the same boat. The demo did not win me over. The only reason I ended up buying it was because I traded in my physical copy of Pikmin 3 since I got it for free "again" with MK8. But anyways, I got through the first major objective and...HOLY CRAP I AM HAVING A BLAST! Seriously some of the most hectic, intense fun I've had in a while.

bubble_bear

ZyroXZ2

CanisWolfred wrote:

So...no one else has any hints, tips, or guides? Yet I'm under the impression you all know how to play it...

I can't exactly just plug my own video, but at the end of episode 2, I gave a specific hint for W101 that I saw a lot of complaints about on Miiverse... (episode 2 is from January, so it's awhile back!)

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2 | Twitter:

Ryno

Untitled

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Joeynator3000

....You think I should go with this game? Might try the demo, but demos are usually bleh compared to the actual game. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

kkslider5552000

Xiao_Pai wrote:

....You think I should go with this game? Might try the demo, but demos are usually bleh compared to the actual game. lol

If you have a bit of patience for the game, yes.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JamesCoote

I've also been struggling with this game. I don't get why you can't use the touch screen. It's as if the game was made for touch, then doesn't use it.

It's all very well having a game that takes time to master, but if that process is just downright frustrating, people will never get to that point, and just give up on it instead.

Game developer for Crystalline Green Ltd. Working on Totem Topple and Flight of Light for Wii U

Twitter:

Dreamz

JamesCoote wrote:

I've also been struggling with this game. I don't get why you can't use the touch screen. It's as if the game was made for touch, then doesn't use it.

It's all very well having a game that takes time to master, but if that process is just downright frustrating, people will never get to that point, and just give up on it instead.

What? You can use the touch screen...

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

R_Champ

Xiao_Pai wrote:

It's a great game if you like the 3D beat-em-up genre and over-the-top anime action/humor. The learning curve is rather high (don't be afraid to ask for help on miiverse) but it's an amazing game if you fit into the niche for it.

One thing I don't think people get either is that this is a game where you shouldn't be ashamed to play on easy or very easy until you feel comfortable with the controls. On Very Easy you can pretty much draw a sword or fist every time and still beat the game...it shouldn't be that complicated

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

jariw

JamesCoote wrote:

You can use the touch screen if you want (I use it). It's just that many players prefer the right stick approach to draw the shapes.

jariw

Joeynator3000

Yeah, tried the demo, but gotta wait on buying it....since I'm getting a couple of other things. Seemed somewhat confusing with the controls for a bit.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

sinalefa

Yeah, the game can be tough and it has a steep difficulty curve. It is part of its old school charm.

I agree with R_Champ. There is a reason why you can change difficulty anytime. Kamiya's Easy is like Normal in most games, and his Normal is Hard, etc.

But if you stick with it you will be greatly rewarded. There is nothing quite like it, gameplay wise. Plus it has tons of charm.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.