Forums

Topic: Will Wii U take off this winter season?

Posts 301 to 320 of 327

shingi_70

dumedum wrote:

All cameras on mobile phones suck (compared to DSLR...)
If the RAM is only used for ridiculous stuff like recording video, then I agree it is not needed. Wii U also downloads in the background and does other things in the background so I don't see the problem there.

Of coruse they do but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying to make mobile pictures better. That argument would lead us into the PC VS combo debates. Lumia 1020 is probably the best non DSLR or Micro 4/3 camera on the market.

But does the Wii U

-Able to run multiple games and apps in the background
-Snaps apps to the side
-Able to record Video as well a Live stream.
-set matchmaking while doing something else.
-play while downloading the game.

We say those features are ridiculous and pointless but isn't that mostly because we haven't had them in a console. I remember the Xbox 360 getting the same repsones when it was coming out about Xbox Live. Eight Years later most would agree that's the standard for console online. Hell I thought miiverse and screenshot sharing was kind of boring but looking at it in action tells a completely different story.

To be honest RAM probably doesn't matter in the long run because for better or worse the Wii U can't do thing the 7th gen systems can despite having more ram.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

banacheck

Unified memory setups aren't an invention of consoles nor is the idea of putting a GPU right next to the CPU.

That doesn't hasn't anything to do with it i quote Mark Cerny, also no one said that was an invention of consoles, you just presume people don't have an idea about what thay are saying.

If you look at a PC, said Cerny, "if it had 8 gigabytes of memory on it, the CPU or GPU could only share about 1 percent of that memory on any given frame. That's simply a limit imposed by the speed of the PCIe. So, yes, there is substantial benefit to having a unified architecture on PS4, and it’s a very straightforward benefit that you get even on your first day of coding with the system

Also if look at the modifications [ the ones made public] i don't know how you would get around that, as i'm not saying build a PC equivalent which is what your talking about.

And i wasn't attacking @rallydefault as you put it, i was putting my opinion across. Or if you disagree with someone thats an attack?

Edited on by banacheck

banacheck

dumedum

Sony_70 wrote:

Not bad, you mean like Windows did in 1995. Then again Wii U already has it (and the 3DS) with respect to the Internet browser and stuff like that.

-Snaps apps to the side

what?

I said it's ridiculous to me, because I am not an online guy, I don't share stuff, it doesn't interest me to record my gameplay in the slightest.

I literally don't know what that is.

I believe I am doing that right now with the Wii U. Or is that just installing? It certainly looks like that.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

skywake

@banacheck
They build a cost efficient system, lock it down, have people develop for it specifically and then marketing comes in. That's all it is. At the end of the day though it's not much more than a PC in a fancy box. If you like its exclusives then cool, more power to you, I happen to love the exclusives from Nintendo's PC in a fancy box. It's the software that's different, the hardware isn't magically different to a PC.

@Sony_70
I was talking about the Megapixel wars. They've gotten to the point where it's really just the optics and sensor size that impact on the image quality on a phone. Putting more pixels in it doesn't improve the quality of the image. It's a similar thing with RAM. Once you've got enough you've got enough. I don't think the Wii U is gimped by the amount of RAM it has compared to its competitors or its competitors to, for example, PCs. They are still largely single task devices and they are still running at 1080p.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

ThePirateCaptain

Well this thread just turned in to a console spec debate

Anyway, I see no reason why the Wii U won't pick up this holiday season with such great games coming out. Wind Waker HD being bundled with the system is a smart move, and you have a 3D Mario game? I don't expect all the negativity to stop even if the system does pick up after Christmas, but if it can boost its sales enough during the holidays, I think it will be in good shape for 2014.

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

SCRAPPER392

@Sony_70
I'm just gonna be blatantly honest. I don't think you're thinking about this very hard.

I was talking about the Bus RAM and all that other stuff that guy that worked at Atari, Sega, and Playstation was talking about. There's more going on inside of the PS4 than Xbox One, but it doesn't contribute to the overall experience that will be mainly standard across all three 8th gen systems.

"Wii U can't do thing 7th gen systems do despite having more RAM". There's a difference between can't and isn't. They're enhancing the OS as we speak, which ultimately determines what features the hardware can do.

I also just want to point out, that Xbox 360 supported full match recordings on Halo Reach(that's the only game I recall doing that immediately) that could b posted onto Bungie.com. All Nintendo has to do is allow uploads to Miiverse. Think of Miiverse as more of a website, rather than an app, like Facebook.

The only thing the Wii U may not be able to do is more than 3 apps at once, but I have no doubt it can run at least 2, but that may not be the focus, anyway.

Downloads in the background. First of all, you seriously can't wait? Secondly, that's a cloud feature right there, which the Wii U has.

I suggest reading up if you really want to get into the specifics of how these machines actually work, because you're basing your opinion on PR or what's shown to you. The limits are alot less apparent when you think of what the machines can do outside of what they tell you they can do.

The PS4 having all that extra memory could also be because of supporting Move, PS Vita, and PS Eye, which the Xbox One and Wii U are supporting in a more separated manner.

Just think about it more. It seems as though you're not taking as much as you should into consideration, regardless of your prefered console choice.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

shingi_70

dumedum wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Not bad, you mean like Windows did in 1995. Then again Wii U already has it (and the 3DS) with respect to the Internet browser and stuff like that.

-Snaps apps to the side

what?

I said it's ridiculous to me, because I am not an online guy, I don't share stuff, it doesn't interest me to record my gameplay in the slightest.

I literally don't know what that is.

I believe I am doing that right now with the Wii U. Or is that just installing? It certainly looks like that.

I can watch netflix while say Forza runs in the background setting up an online match.

-When I say download while playing I mean that when I start downloading Killzone or Dead Rising this holiday I can start playing the game through the cloud as it downloads.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Cyberbotv2

SCAR392 wrote:

@Sony_70
I'm just gonna be blatantly honest. I don't think you're thinking about this very hard.

I was talking about the Bus RAM and all that other stuff that guy that worked at Atari, Sega, and Playstation was talking about. There's more going on inside of the PS4 than Xbox One, but it doesn't contribute to the overall experience that will be mainly standard across all three 8th gen systems.

"Wii U can't do thing 7th gen systems do despite having more RAM". There's a difference between can't and isn't. They're enhancing the OS as we speak, which ultimately determines what features the hardware can do.

I also just want to point out, that Xbox 360 supported full match recordings on Halo Reach(that's the only game I recall doing that immediately) that could b posted onto Bungie.com. All Nintendo has to do is allow uploads to Miiverse. Think of Miiverse as more of a website, rather than an app, like Facebook.

The only thing the Wii U may not be able to do is more than 3 apps at once, but I have no doubt it can run at least 2, but that may not be the focus, anyway.

Downloads in the background. First of all, you seriously can't wait? Secondly, that's a cloud feature right there, which the Wii U has.

I suggest reading up if you really want to get into the specifics of how these machines actually work, because you're basing your opinion on PR or what's shown to you. The limits are alot less apparent when you think of what the machines can do outside of what they tell you they can do.

The PS4 having all that extra memory could also be because of supporting Move, PS Vita, and PS Eye, which the Xbox One and Wii U are supporting in a more separated manner.

Just think about it more. It seems as though you're not taking as much as you should into consideration, regardless of your prefered console choice.

Might I say, that was an excellent post. I'm tired of these Sony and Microsoft lovers posting on Nintendo sites.

Cyberbotv2

SCRAPPER392

@Cyberbotv2
I don't think people do it on purpose. People just look at specs and see bigger numbers, or don't think beyond what these companies tell you and draw a conclusion based on nothing besides what's in front of them, which isn't informative at all.

Since Nintendo hasn't really taken any action regarding Wii U, it's easy for some to think they can't take action.

The Wii U OS will be finished at the end of summer or the beggining of fall. That is actually when anyone can draw a conclusion at all, but many have been drawing conclusions since E3 2011(when Wii U was announced) and have had the same attitude regardless of information they have or don't have.

Going off of what Nintendo has said and things that have been proven in the past 2 years, there shouldn't be any confusion or doubt at all, but many can't(or won't, because they've already drawn conclusions) put all those aspects together. It's a variety of problems that keep people from understanding what's actually going on here.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

DefHalan

So everyone, do you think the price cut is going to help it "take off this winter season?"

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

shingi_70

Yeah the price cut and bundle will surely help sell a lot more units.

WAT!

RancidVomit86

Untitled

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

kkslider5552000

can we ban meme posts that are too lazy to get rid of the terrible site URL

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ryno

DefHalan wrote:

So everyone, do you think the price cut is going to help it "take off this winter season?"

Yes, it will combined with some good exclusive games coming this winter season.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

sonicfan1373

@Sony_70

I know this is a bit off topic but I just wanted to correct you on something. While downloading a game on PS4 and Xbox One you can start playing the game locally before the download has finished, the download still has to reach a certain point (for example for some games it might have to reach 5-10% for some games it might be more if they are smaller in terms of file size) before you can start playing and if you get to a point were the game is not downloaded yet you will have to wait until that part finishes downloading. However, you are not playing the game off the cloud (although Sony will let you do that later in 2014 for select games regardless of whether you have them downloaded locally or not).

Edited on by sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373

I believe that the games coming in 2013 will help the Wii U regain some of its momentum, but 2014 is looking more like being the year of Wii U for Nintendo.

sonicfan1373

SCRAPPER392

uptownsoul wrote:

@Scar392 I don't get you latest post "Since Nintendo hasn't really taken any action regarding Wii U"?  I'm not sure the action your referring to, but most importantly, the fact that Nintendo hasn't taken said action in arguably the most important time in a product's life, is a HUGE institutional failure.  It can recover but has to dig itself out of a hole I dug itself into.  And other than anecdotal speech from wii u owners & the friends they know, there is still no tangible evidence of any enthusiasm for upcoming wii u titles.

The way Nintendo handled the Wii U thus far is called the "rope-a-dope". I saw a barren Wii U launch as soon as I got the system.
The first thing I thought when I opened my Wii U box was, "Yup, this is gonna take a year before s*** happens". Not even lying. The Wii U can support 8th gen games. You'll see once the Xbox One and PS4 come out. The software is coming with the other systems this time around since Wii U has been out a year early, just waiting for multiplats like COD: Ghosts to show up.

Qwest

banacheck

sonicfan1373
The dev sorts files in a certain order when thay hit the PSN, so you'll be able to choose which part to download first single player or multiplayer. Also the PS4 will have a gigabit ethernet which believe me is ridonculously fast.

banacheck

kkslider5552000

yeah it was pretty clear, Wii-U's early issues, the only difference was I expecting a less worthwhile last 4 months for the console and either Pikmin or Rayman Legends to actually be released in the launch window. Oh and Aiiens Colonial Marines to be on the console and not be a disaster.

Pikmin I expected because I thought it was nothing but an HD updated version of a Wii title (similar to how certain early Wii titles were originally GCN games, didn't help that E3 2012 didn't make it look great), and Rayman if only because Ubisoft owns a small nation's worth or developers to work on their games. And I was expecting some delay because why not, just not for both.

The entire reason I bought the console near launch was solely so I didn't have to pay for it AND lots of games later. Not because it was good at launch.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

rallydefault

Ryno wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Yes, it will combined with some good exclusive games coming this winter season.

Definitely. In the face of the new consoles, all "power" discussions aside, the Wii U needs some sort of edge. In today's economy, to have a lower price on your side is crucial. I think Nintendo made a great decision to lower the price along with the Zelda bundle, as well. That's sure to draw a bunch of new eyes to the console, as the Wind Waker remake will generate a lot of press (good or bad) when it releases. 100 bucks is a lot of moolah - in patient hands (those that wait for deals) that could equal out to 2 or 3 games or a few accessories. You also don't need to factor in an online games fee, which I think Nintendo should really play up more in their advertising. Heck, I'd even put it on the boxes from here on out.

At any rate, I think all of the new developments coming out of Nintendo today show that they ARE aware of their competition, and they are willing to make some changes and try some new tactics.

rallydefault

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.