Forums

Topic: Will Wii U take off this winter season?

Posts 241 to 260 of 327

SCRAPPER392

@Sony_70
Final Fantasy XV isn't exclusive. Most of the games we saw at Sony's conference are going to be on Xbox One, too.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

shingi_70

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Halo 10/10... Buy Doritos and Mountain Dew... Eat and play good... Fill my bank account with credits
http://gregorulm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GeoffKeighley...

I find the whole games media to be too close to the industry they report on. With big AAA's the media may sometimes get paid off or just want to get a job in the industry. In the case of indies its hard to take reviews seriously when your friends with these guys. Even when the media is known for being fair and passionate it comes off as a bit off. I love Super NVC but seeing Rich and Audury basicly get jobs at nintendo leaves me feeling weird. I find the IGN playstation team to be too damn close to sony even if shows how down to earth they are. Those brahs might as well.just join or replace the PlayStation blog.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SCRAPPER392

TheLilK98 wrote:

You know what? At this point we aren't even getting games that should be a guarantee. To be honest, I'm seeing this heading towards the Wii in that regard. I'm really hoping I'm wrong because I bought my Wii in '07 and in '12 I had exactly eight games. Seven of which were first party. That is ridiculous.

Like what? If you only had 8 Wii games, you just weren't looking. The Wii remote was the draw to that console, and there were still plenty of games.
MadWorld, Dead Space Extraction, No More Heroes, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, RedSteel 2, BlastWorks, De Blob, etc. There was still alot of 3rd party games worth mentioning.

Wii was my only console until '09, so I knew what was up. Also, Xbox 360 and PS3 started having way better games around the time of the slim versions.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

shingi_70

SCAR392 wrote:

@Sony_70
Final Fantasy XV isn't exclusive. Most of the games we saw at Sony's conference are going to be on Xbox One, too.

Exclusive to the PS4/Xbox One.

He said multiplats aren't console sellers and I'd argue the games I listed have at least put those two as my front runners for now.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

rallydefault

@Sony_70

You're joking about the PC, right? Right? You do know that World of Warcraft, like it or hate it, is the highest-grossing video game of all time? Right? And you say the "majority" of the market "doesn't care" about PC gaming? Consoles are stripped-down versions of PCs. The "next-gen" games you saw at E3 were running on PCs. Your "next-gen" consoles are already less powerful than the PC I'm typing this comment on.

You wouldn't even have consoles to play right now if it wasn't for PCs (and yes, early Macintosh comps as well). Also - most gamers build their own PCs, my friend, they don't buy one from Dell or HP. So, in a weird way, your quoted comment is true. YES, you won't see most gamers walk into a Best Buy to pick up a gaming desktop, because that's just ridiculous. You WILL have gamers ordering parts from Newegg and such to build their own rig. Some of the most knowledgeable and passionate gamers, to boot, to put in so much time and effort into their hobby. AND, Witcher 3 is going to be on PC as well, therefore it's not a "console exclusive."

rallydefault

brooks83

rallydefault wrote:

@Sony_70

You're joking about the PC, right? Right? You do know that World of Warcraft, like it or hate it, is the highest-grossing video game of all time? Right? And you say the "majority" of the market "doesn't care" about PC gaming? Consoles are stripped-down versions of PCs. The "next-gen" games you saw at E3 were running on PCs. Your "next-gen" consoles are already less powerful than the PC I'm typing this comment on.

You wouldn't even have consoles to play right now if it wasn't for PCs (and yes, early Macintosh comps as well). Also - most gamers build their own PCs, my friend, they don't buy one from Dell or HP. So, in a weird way, your quoted comment is true. YES, you won't see most gamers walk into a Best Buy to pick up a gaming desktop, because that's just ridiculous. You WILL have gamers ordering parts from Newegg and such to build their own rig. Some of the most knowledgeable and passionate gamers, to boot, to put in so much time and effort into their hobby. AND, Witcher 3 is going to be on PC as well, therefore it's not a "console exclusive."

WoW may be the highest grossing game of all time, but that doesn't mean the market for PC games is bigger than console games.

brooks83

TheLilK98

SCAR392 wrote:

TheLilK98 wrote:

You know what? At this point we aren't even getting games that should be a guarantee. To be honest, I'm seeing this heading towards the Wii in that regard. I'm really hoping I'm wrong because I bought my Wii in '07 and in '12 I had exactly eight games. Seven of which were first party. That is ridiculous.

Like what? If you only had 8 Wii games, you just weren't looking. The Wii remote was the draw to that console, and there were still plenty of games.
MadWorld, Dead Space Extraction, No More Heroes, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, RedSteel 2, BlastWorks, De Blob, etc. There was still alot of 3rd party games worth mentioning.

Wii was my only console until '09, so I knew what was up. Also, Xbox 360 and PS3 started having way better games around the time of the slim versions.

Well excuse me for not having time to spend five hours a day researching niche titles that were barely marketed. I bought De Blob, someone stole it. I'm not a big fan of FPS', I couldn't find No More Heroes anywhere, I didn't like the first Red Steel so I didn't buy 2. Not to mention the fact that I'm a teenager at a minimum wage job, so I don't exactly have the budget to take leaps of faith on games I've never heard of.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter:

shingi_70

rallydefault wrote:

@Sony_70

Oh don't get me wrong dude I've built my own PC from scratch but it doesn't change the fact that consumer behavior for better or worse is changing. Also gamers being passionate about the platform or where console orgins don't change the reality of the situation. With that Logic blackberry wouldn't be a husk of a company.I like PC gaming hell I was playing Thomas was alone on steam today but the vast majority of the marketshare doesn't care. Hell I'm technlogically adept and I;ve gotten rid of my gaming PC for a Tablet and a Ultrabook and those are the markets that are growing while the PC market is dwindling.

I don't think that the hardcore passionate fans who build PCs and built up steam and GOG will go away, but looking at the amrket as a whole PC gaming is becoming a slowly growing niche, and will stay that way barring steambox splashing in the market.

WAT!

DefHalan

feline2 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

uptownsoul wrote:

"Nintendo is always and historically the highest-scoring first-party entity." - @RallyDefault  Oh really?!?!  Well on PS3 there are 47games (some 1st party, some 3rd, all playable on ps3) that rated 90+ from meticritic(a game review consolidation site).  47 games in 7 years of ps3 which comes to 6.7 games per year that had 90+ consolidated score or higher, playable on the ps3.  

360 had 48 games in 8years which comes to 6 games per year at 90+ rating.

The Wii had 14 games in 7 years which comes out to 2 90+ rated games per year.

The Wii U has zero games rated 90+ .

So @RallyDefault you were saying about highest rated games?

Wii U meticritic
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available...

360 meticritic

PS3 meticritic

Wii meticritic
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/wi...

He did say first party so check this out
Nintendo:
http://www.metacritic.com/company/nintendo?filter-options=gam...

Microsoft Game Studio:
http://www.metacritic.com/company/microsoft-game-studios

SCEA:
http://www.metacritic.com/company/scea

im sorry really metacritic. sony and microsoft buy there reviews and half the time they lower the score because of wii controls(saying its not hardcore) they are like ign but worst and everyone even ign gave pikmin and wonderful 101 high scores.

and @Sony_70 over a large part of the gaming community are pc gamers so what do you mean(plus almost all nintendo gamers own a gaming PC) p.s it makes you look biased with a name like that.

I agree, that is why I don't I personally don't trust reviews. I was just using his own source against him.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LzWinky

I didn't realize this was a matter of Metacritic opinion...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

shingi_70

If were being honest unless you really like JRPGs than Wii U+Steambox would be the way to go.

WAT!

Gamer83

Sony_70 wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Halo 10/10... Buy Doritos and Mountain Dew... Eat and play good... Fill my bank account with credits
http://gregorulm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GeoffKeighley...

I find the whole games media to be too close to the industry they report on. With big AAA's the media may sometimes get paid off or just want to get a job in the industry. In the case of indies its hard to take reviews seriously when your friends with these guys. Even when the media is known for being fair and passionate it comes off as a bit off. I love Super NVC but seeing Rich and Audury basicly get jobs at nintendo leaves me feeling weird. I find the IGN playstation team to be too damn close to sony even if shows how down to earth they are. Those brahs might as well.just join or replace the PlayStation blog.

Colin isn't too bad, I've heard him get critical of Sony at times but Greg is ridiculous. I don't dislike the guy like a lot of people do, but he takes fanboy to another level. You could pay him to and he probably still wouldn't say an even slightly negative word directed at Sony.

Gamer83

NinChocolate

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance. Wii U, won't you, Wii U, won't you, Wii U join the dance?

NinChocolate

kkslider5552000

PokeTune wrote:

OptometristLime wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Now one thing I needed to point out, people need to stop assuming that the key for Wii U to win is to get as many multi-console games as possible.
Having those unquestionably make the console look more varied and are a good thing, but let's be honest, even if Wii U becomes a big deal after this holiday season, how many of these games will be popular on Nintendo?

Having poorly selling 3rd party titles can be far worse for the company than not having those games at all. What they should be doing is focusing on helping a few of the big multi-console titles be successful (especially from Ubisoft), and the rest on using their own brand name to, in some way or another, work with less gigantic companies to elevate their games to mainstream popularity. That way they not only have more 3rd party games that people buy, but potentially more exclusive ones and from companies that have a reason to be grateful to Nintendo specifically.

I'm not sure if this is a big insight or not, but it sure does make sense to me.

Not to me. Honestly why would any Nintendo gamer not want 3rd party titles? Have we learned nothing from the last 3 console generations? Having multiplats will help give the console more value to both the public and games alike, not having them leaves you with a valueless(for now anyway) console ala Wii U.

please actually read before posting, there are better ways

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MAB

@Wavesta is gonna drop $400 ($550AU) on the PS4 as soon as his fave game of all time hits the PSN in digital download form

MAB

rallydefault

@Sony_70

That's great that you've built your own PC, but I still must disagree with you. I don't think the PC market is becoming niche. I see more and more people becoming interested in building their own rig and coming over to PC gaming because of the lower costs and amount of customization. PS4 and Xbone, to many, are showing their true colors: simplified PC architecture with a lower initial cost, but a much higher long-term cost in terms of games, controllers, and another paywall for internet gaming. PS4 and Xbone literally offer nothing that a PC can't do (and better), while the Wii U does. More people are realizing this, and I believe that PC gaming will actually grow.

I don't know if you read PC-centered sites like PC Gamer and such, but you can do some poking around and find plenty from more knowledgeable sources that support this theory of growth for the platform. If you have time, go ahead and take a look. Just look at the developers that are now going out of their way to talk about their PC versions and how much time will be put into them - that wasn't happening for the last 8ish years or so, but it's starting to happen again as people get wise to what's really going on.

@brooks83

It does prove that the population is there, which is why I used it. And even if you don't want to look at the money it grossed, look at games like Diablo III, only on PC, selling 3.5mil copies in its first 24 hours. Or WoW selling nearly 12 million boxes at its peak. That's a lot of PC gaming no matter how you slice it. My point is: the PC audience IS big and will become more of a presence.

rallydefault

banacheck

If PC gaming was taking off i don't think we would see Diablo III & many other PC exclusives coming to consoles, [simplified PC] please let use know when you've built a PS4 or any other console for that matter, because sorry your never going to do it with off the shelf PC parts.

banacheck

DefHalan

uptownsoul wrote:

@DefHalan you didn't use my source against me, you just rehashed an old conspiracy theory.  Yeah, we know, Microsoft & Sony buy up meticritic to get better scores.  They also must be buying up all the tv air waves to prevent Nintendo from making any wii u commercials whatsoever, right?  Look give me a ratings site you trust that rates all the games from all 4 consoles (wii, wii u, ps3, 360) and I'll bet dollars to donuts the numbers will still be relatively the same.

Your source was Metacritic
I used Metacritic to prove what the person, you were trying to prove wrong, was actually right. I personally don't trust any reviews. For me to build an opinion on a game, I play it. How do I determine what to play? I do my own research on what company is making the game and what style the game is in, maybe watch a few gameplay videos on YouTube, if there is commentary I normally mute it. I have played games considered to be garbage but I enjoyed them and I have found some games considered to be fantastic that I thought were terrible.

But lets get back to the conversation: "Will the Wii U take off this winter season?"

• I hope so, if not we could have a repeat for the GameCube years... which wasn't that bad.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

rallydefault

banacheck wrote:

If PC gaming was taking off i don't think we would see Diablo III & many other PC exclusives coming to consoles, [simplified PC] please let use know when you've built a PS4 or any other console for that matter, because sorry your never going to do it with off the shelf PC parts.

@banacheck
... lol

Don't look now, but consoles ARE made out of PC components. Rut roh, eh? You don't build your own rigs, do you? Some of the CPU/GPU might be under an exclusive name or reformatting for the console it's in, but don't be fooled: it's basically the same exact thing. Blizzard is bringing Diablo III to PS4 to make more money. You don't think 3.5 million copies sold on PC in 24 hours is impressive? Most console games that are considered successes rejoice if they sell more than 1 million copies. Diablo III is the fastest-selling PC game of all time - they did more than well, but they also want more money. It's not a "sign" of anything, my friend, it's just a company being a company. The more platforms or shelves your stuff is on, the better chance you have at making sales.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

tovare

I think the Wii U will sell over 10 million units the next 5 months.

Major drivers include:

• Backwards compatability with Wii combined with the age of the currently installed base and a lot more people have HD TV's than in 2006.
  • Catalog of games is reaching a point where it's a not a huge issue.
  • First party exclusives. Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong.
  • A lot of kids have birthdays this time of year which will generate further Wii U demand for christmas.
  • Nintendo probably has a positive surprise for the october upgrade.

I'll look up this thread in 2014 and see how it went

tovare

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.