Wii U Forum

Topic: Will Wii U take off this winter season?

Showing 101 to 120 of 384

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

101. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

But the WiiU is more than likely going to miss its own projections of 9M units by Mar 2014.  It would need to average 163,000 per week.  And seeing as though it barely did that in 12 weeks, it has a huge problem.  Even if you take into account a holiday push, which will be much more difficult than last holiday season because of more competition; take into account the games push, which again, will face stiff competition from the less powerful/larger library  ps3-360 and the smaller library/more powerful xb1-ps4.  It seems their pinned in from both sides.  They had an open window & cut themselves in the glass getting in.  Will it prove fatal, no.  But make no mistake the xb1 & ps4 smell the blood.

Actually what your not taking into account is that a lot of preorders is from people who already had games ordered.. and that parents will likely not support that.. that will be quite critically to PS4 and One.. plus.. One's stance on DRM which has already done the damage to a lot of gamers.. as far as library and hardware specs go.. please.. the PS one had smaller specs than the N64 and still outsold it.. the PS2 had very little in specs compared to Gamecube and especially.. XBOX and still did better.. and the Wii.. had nothing in specs compared to PS3 and 360 and is still currently owning them both.. so clearly Hardware does not make a difference.. it would be games.. and among the 8th gen systems.. Wii U will have way more than the PS4 and ONE.. However that being said as you said it will be with other last gen systems that have a library.. and that is.. and will give it problems.. but when you consider the others will be too.. no matter their specs.. I don't see after the initial Launch how you can say the PS4 and One will do better.. Of course unless your of the people who believe games only count.. you know.. when they count.. (Which excludes Nintendo systems)

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Banker-Style

102. Posted:

It'll take off in October/ealy November,and after Christmas .

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

103. Posted:

I can't wait for the PS4/Xbone launches. I can't wait to see how long it takes for it to dawn on all of these vocal internet voices that they will be stuck with basically the same consoles with flashier graphics for the next 8+ years. Can't wait. I'm happier than ever with my Wii U purchase - it's something totally different. I think the market will come around shortly after this holiday season.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Obito_Tennyson

104. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

I can't wait for the PS4/Xbone launches. I can't wait to see how long it takes for it to dawn on all of these vocal internet voices that they will be stuck with basically the same consoles with flashier graphics for the next 8+ years. Can't wait. I'm happier than ever with my Wii U purchase - it's something totally different. I think the market will come around shortly after this holiday season.

Oh, wow. I just realized how much you're right about that. The Play Station 4 has nothing more to offer with video games other than a few small additions. It's basically a "hardware update." It's the exact same thing, only with a couple of new features that are not too big to move from one generation to another.

However, with the Xbobbabobba, it's basically a $500 Computer/Cable Box hooked up to your TV only with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard, and a different Operating System. The Xblayiopia has everything that you could do on the Internet, but with video games! No new controller, it's just a better system, faster and stronger. That's it for the games... Not even backward compatibility so there's no point in getting one until you have a decent selection of games. However, if you're planning on selling your Cable Box and Computer, but you have a TV and Internet, then the XBaboon is perfect for you! Go on Social Media, watch from Hulu Plus, Netflix, Youtube, and anything else that you could think of! You could chat with your best friend's aunt's dog's lover's owner's granchild via video! It's anything you've ever wanted to stop you from being bored! Who cares about video games when you have the XBlubbery!!

Friend Safari: Butterfree, Venomoth, and Volbeat (if there are any Bug Catchers out there...?)
Looking For: Ditto, Magneton Friend Safaries (please contact me if you have any)

3DS Friend Code: 2492-5497-3062 | Nintendo Network ID: JonathanTennyson | Twitter: Obito_Tennyson

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

105. Posted:

@Obito_Tennyson

Lol - your post made me chuckle :)

And even then, I can still get the same experiences with even better graphics (oh snap!) on my PC with a controller hooked up! And connected to my HD TV! And to those who protest and say "nayeth- the Xbone controller IS brand-new!" I say the Xbone controller is NOT new. They added some force-feedback to the triggers; that does not a NEW controller make.

It's the same-old, same-old with new FPS games set in different eras. Some of the indie titles excite me, yes, but they eventually come to the PC anyway. Nintendo's gamepad, if they utilize it, is worth its weight in gold. Wonderful 101 and ZombiU were good glimmerings of the different uses it can provide - if you're not receptive to it or don't give its features a chance, that's your own perogative, but you're missing out on something fresh. But from Microsoft and Sony? Better graphics, same console shtick with cable box/social networking wallpaper. Like PCs haven' been doing all that for going on half a decade now.

Oh, and an online gaming surcharge. Rejoice. Again - I do think Nintendo will "take off" after the holidays. We just need people to experience the other options first.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

106. Posted:

Obito_Tennyson wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

I can't wait for the PS4/Xbone launches. I can't wait to see how long it takes for it to dawn on all of these vocal internet voices that they will be stuck with basically the same consoles with flashier graphics for the next 8+ years. Can't wait. I'm happier than ever with my Wii U purchase - it's something totally different. I think the market will come around shortly after this holiday season.

Oh, wow. I just realized how much you're right about that. The Play Station 4 has nothing more to offer with video games other than a few small additions. It's basically a "hardware update." It's the exact same thing, only with a couple of new features that are not too big to move from one generation to another.

However, with the Xbobbabobba, it's basically a $500 Computer/Cable Box hooked up to your TV only with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard, and a different Operating System. The Xblayiopia has everything that you could do on the Internet, but with video games! No new controller, it's just a better system, faster and stronger. That's it for the games... Not even backward compatibility so there's no point in getting one until you have a decent selection of games. However, if you're planning on selling your Cable Box and Computer, but you have a TV and Internet, then the XBaboon is perfect for you! Go on Social Media, watch from Hulu Plus, Netflix, Youtube, and anything else that you could think of! You could chat with your best friend's aunt's dog's lover's owner's granchild via video! It's anything you've ever wanted to stop you from being bored! Who cares about video games when you have the XBlubbery!!

Oh come on.. Microsoft did not unleash a Xboogidaboogida boom or whatever your calling it... they released a Ninja Invisibox... and I need to tell you all about my Ninja Invisibox... you know I can't help but to break into song over my Ninja Invisibox... My Ninja Invisibox.. .. Other systems get jealous of my Ninja Invisibox.. they can't even see the competition of my Ninja Invisibox.. Women find the competition to "Stationary" compared to my Ninja Invisibox.. Women prefer the "Global Domination" of my huge Ninja Invisibox...

My Ninja Inivisbox...

I get kind of excited thinking about my Ninja Invisibox... there is a stealth mode in case your grounded on my Ninja Invisibox..

My Ninja Invisibox...

I can yell at my T.V. with my Ninja Invisibox.. .. who knew it would make for good therapy with my Ninja Invisibox.. .. it's so awesome they need a new marketing strategy for my Ninja Invisibox.. as far as you know there is a perfect zero systems sold.. of my Ninja Invisibox..

My Ninja Invisibox.. My Ninja Invisibox...

if your going to troll.. troll with a smile.. and my Ninja Invisibox...

My Ninja Invisibox...

LOL... :P

Edited on by Relias

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

107. Posted:

@RallyDefault so, Wii U is better because you have a PC?  And your gamepad is a bit of a gimmick, NOT because it's not innovative, but because if-IF it revolutionizes gaming do you not believe that the PS4/xb1 will make a clone gamepad?  (sorry, run on sentence). If that happens, poof, there goes Wii U's innovative edge, probably  (would also depend on if Sony/Microsoft can implement it correctly, which isn't a given, but isn't impossible either). As far as Nintendo's exclusives, I hate to break it to you all Nintendo fans, but a good number of them aren't must own games.  Must own games = console movers, period.  If a game must be owned people will go out & buy the required tech to play it.  If not, they don't.  ZombiU was not a must own, pikmin 3 maybe, Super smash will definitely.  I'm sure you all can predict the other must have/console movers.  But all the exclusives, on any console, won't be.  What Nintendo has a problem with is multi platform games. they, the multi platform games you guys dislike (sports, FPS, GTA) still move consoles.  Even at the end of the generation.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

108. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

As far as Nintendo's exclusives, I hate to break it to you all Nintendo fans, but a good number of them aren't must own games.  Must own games = console movers, period.  If a game must be owned people will go out & buy the required tech to play it.  If not, they don't.  ZombiU was not a must own, pikmin 3 maybe, Super smash will definitely.  I'm sure you all can predict the other must have/console movers.  But all the exclusives, on any console, won't be.

Must own games don't have to be console movers. Call of Duty is a big console mover but it isn't a must own, same with many sports titles. There aren't many must own titles in the world. Calling something "must own" is also up to someone's opinion. "Console Movers" have the biggest mass appeal, which sadly is where Nintendo falls short currently. The "Masses" are into big shooters and sports titles, something Nintendo does not have a great track record with. Currently the Wii U is also lacking in those two sections. The way I see the Wii U surviving is through Kickstarter. Kickstarters seem to love the Wii U and I hope that trend continues. Wii U may end up being people's second console (much like the Wii) but that isn't a bad thing, as long as Nintendo can stay in the green.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

109. Posted:

@DefHalan Must own games are console movers, fact.  Know how I know that?  Because people will rush out & buy the consoles to play must own games.  That is not an opinion, that's a fact.  As far as Call of Duty, it is must own because, like I said & you acknowledged, it moves consoles-a lot of consoles.  Geez, it's like you actively decided not to read my blurb, and then simultaneously both agreed & disagreed with it at the same time

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

110. Posted:

@uptownsoul
PS Vita and Smartglass are the competition's answer for remote play similar to the GamePad.
At that point, if you want those features, you're paying for another device.

As for your other points, they're mainly opinion. Good software gives more value to a device like you said, but that's a given.

You're giving way too much credit to the press in regards to Nintendo fans not wanting 3rd parties. It's factually not true. Wii didn't get those games because of the hardware, not because no one wanted them.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

111. Posted:

@Scar392 you say my other points are mainly opinion.  I hope your not suggesting the fact that must have games = console movers.  Because that is as factual as water being wet.  

Tell me if any of the following is fact or opinion.

Ok, games (software) is/are released & need consoles (hardware) to play them on.  Be it ps3,360,wii,wiiU, etc.  If a newly released/immediately upcoming game compels a large amount of consumers to purchase hardware to play said software, it is a "console mover".  You'll be able to tell a large amount of consumers purchased the needed hardware for the must have software because there will be a correlating spike in hardware sales.  The correlation can be linked back to a time & date of a software release.

There is your definition of console mover/must have game.  Please point out any opinions in the preceding  paragraph.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

112. Posted:

You claim that games which are "console movers" are also "must have" titles but that is not the case. I stress that thinking that way is an opinion not fact. A "must have" is also an opinion, many people may agree on 1 particular "must have" but that doesn't make it a fact.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

113. Posted:

@DefHanlan Ok, well for the sake of moving the debate along, I hear by retract the term 'must have' and substitute 'console mover' in its place.

Ok, games (software) is/are released & need consoles (hardware) to play them on.  Be it ps3,360,wii,wiiU, etc.  If a newly released/immediately upcoming game compels a large amount of consumers to purchase hardware to play said software, it is a "console mover".  You'll be able to tell a large amount of consumers purchased the needed hardware for the must have software because there will be a correlating spike in hardware sales.  The correlation can be linked back to a time & date of a software release.

@DefHalan @Scar392 @anybodyelse please quote me the opinions in the above paragraphs.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

114. Posted:

@DefHanlan Ok, well for the sake of moving the debate along, I hear by retract the term 'must have' and substitute 'console mover' in its place.

Ok, games (software) is/are released & need consoles (hardware) to play them on.  Be it ps3,360,wii,wiiU, etc.  If a newly released/immediately upcoming game compels a large amount of consumers to purchase hardware to play said software, it is a "console mover".  You'll be able to tell a large amount of consumers purchased the needed hardware for the software because there will be a correlating spike in hardware sales.  The correlation can be linked back to a time & date of a software release.

@DefHalan @Scar392 @anybodyelse please quote me the opinions in the above paragraphs. Sorry took out that last 'must have'

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

115. Posted:

Sorry I had to take out the 'must have' in the 2nd to last paragraph. But in the paragraph I've posted 3times now, please quote me any factually inaccurate statements, thank you

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

116. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

I can't wait for the PS4/Xbone launches. I can't wait to see how long it takes for it to dawn on all of these vocal internet voices that they will be stuck with basically the same consoles with flashier graphics for the next 8+ years. Can't wait. I'm happier than ever with my Wii U purchase - it's something totally different. I think the market will come around shortly after this holiday season.

Sums up my thoughts exactly, the PS4 and Xbone look like the most stale consoles to hit the industry, i just can't understand the excitement....But i guess if you haven't been gaming that long like quite a few users on this site that are barely touching 20 then it's different. I for one am not interested in playing PS3 games with a new coat of paint. At this point, i'm striving mostly for hardware innovation, new ways to play games and so fourth mixed in with some classic retro goodness. the Wii U and Wii have me covered for years to come. ;)

These massive budgets and development teams are destroying the industry with their lack of ballz to create something original because they just can't be bothered to take a gamble. it's become very superficial, stagnent and money driven as of late. the PS4 and One = interactive movies.

But oh no nintendo, you're not getting off that easy either. While i'm excited for the slew of New Nintendo Wii U exclusives paving the way they are far and away from being original. DK:Tropical Freeze, SM3D World, Mario Kart 8, Zelda WW remake ect don't exactly stand out....they all look very familiar from their previous installments but wrapped up in nextgen shiney visuals. SM3DWorld only uses the game pad's screen to mannouver an in-game camera to uncover secrets(really?...)Tropical freeze does nothing, Mario Kart 8 is doing what the wii remote already did with stearing(But aside from adding a generic map, a rear window mirror especially would be pretty neat on gamepad's screen but this is expected.) while Wind Waker HD is at least doing a few new things, but hardly exciting VS Skywards sword wide array of amazing motion plus controls. :p

This Wii U generation so far, in no way shape or form has a trinket of the Wii's wow factor or excitement. this generation is what you'd call a little safe. Plus all the Wii U doom & gloom on ze' interwebz has made a sad little dent in the Big N over the following months now. ZombiU, Nintendo Land and maybe Game & Wario are the top 3 innovative standouts so far. Need to get Pikmin 3! and The Wonderful 101.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

117. Posted:

@uptownsoul
I was trying to point out that what you consider a console mover/must have game is opinion.
You blatantly stated Nintendo's 1st party games aren't console movers/must haves. As far as I'm concerned, the offerings on all the consoles are pretty equal, that's when it becomes preference in deciding which console you want most.
Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros(which should do well on 3DS also), and X look to be the biggest must haves, IMO.
If you like Killzone, Infamous, etc, guess what console you're gonna get?
Killer Instinct, a potential Banjo-Kazooie game, etc. = Xbox One

I don't think multiplats are really console movers. They are in a sense, because that's one more game you're interested in for the platform of your choice. That comes back to which one you prefer the most anyway.

I'll probably buy COD: Ghosts for the hell of it, but it's really not that big of a deal. It's not exclusive(unless you want the GamePad), so you just get it for you're prefered console aside from the actual game.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintendoLink

118. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Sums up my thoughts exactly, the PS4 and Xbone look like the most stale consoles to hit the industry, i just can't understand the excitement....But i guess if you haven't been gaming that long like quite a few users on this site that are barely touching 20 then it's different. I for one am not interested in playing PS3 games with a new coat of paint. At this point, i'm striving mostly for hardware innovation, new ways to play games and so fourth mixed in with some classic retro goodness. the Wii U and Wii have me covered for years to come. ;)

Agree. I love the Wii U and the gamepad, but it aint all sunshine and rainbows from Nintendo either though. Need more games, not only remakes/sequals, but some new Ips also. But i have to say, when DK, Mario kart, SSB etc hits the shelfs and already got MH3 (so much fun), its gonna entertain me for awhile, but i will have that hunger for PS4 still, so im gonna make a place for that one also, even though i got a Gamer-pc on top of that. I prefer playing some of the PC games on consoles, and want the unique games like H-Hour etc.. (since im a huge old school socom fan)
So for me its gonna be a combo with PC, PS4 and Wii U.
edit: And N3ds XL * ;)

Lets cross our fingers for a huge leap in sales for Nintendo this winter :)

Edited on by NintendoLink

Wii U Mario Kart bundle - Mario kart 8, Monster hunter 3, Donkey Kong Tropical freeze
Wii U Nintendo ID - pockyNNrocky - ADD ME ! :)

3DS Friend Code: 0662-3551-3737 | Nintendo Network ID: POCKYnROCKY

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

119. Posted:

Here is your weekly VG charts US pre order for AUG 10.  Notice NO wiiU titles at all.  Now wiiU fanboys will claim low install base, which would make sense.  Except, there are SIX xb1 & PS4 US pre ordered games in the top 40.  Intresting, seeing as though the PS4&XB1 combine for an install base of exactly ZERO.    vgchartz.com/preorders/41497/USA/

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

120. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

Here is your weekly VG charts US pre order for AUG 10.  Notice NO wiiU titles at all.  Now wiiU fanboys will claim low install base, which would make sense.  Except, there are SIX xb1 & PS4 US pre ordered games in the top 40.  Intresting, seeing as though the PS4&XB1 combine for an install base of exactly ZERO.    vgchartz.com/preorders/41497/USA/

Those pre-order numbers aren't even over 1 million, and that's including both platforms combined. Also, these are pre-order numbers for launching systems, so of course they're going to be higher than normal.

Wii U is getting the same games except Battlefield 4, and 2 of the games are identical on both platforms(COD:Ghosts).

I also see that tons of big budget titles on Xbox 360 and PS3 aren't even going to reach 100,000.
This chart did more harm than good for the argument it seems you were trying to make.

$¢@®³’²