Forums

Topic: Will Wii U take off this winter season?

Posts 101 to 120 of 327

SCRAPPER392

uptownsoul wrote:

Here is your weekly VG charts US pre order for AUG 10.  Notice NO wiiU titles at all.  Now wiiU fanboys will claim low install base, which would make sense.  Except, there are SIX xb1 & PS4 US pre ordered games in the top 40.  Intresting, seeing as though the PS4&XB1 combine for an install base of exactly ZERO.    vgchartz.com/preorders/41497/USA/

Those pre-order numbers aren't even over 1 million, and that's including both platforms combined. Also, these are pre-order numbers for launching systems, so of course they're going to be higher than normal.

Wii U is getting the same games except Battlefield 4, and 2 of the games are identical on both platforms(COD:Ghosts).

I also see that tons of big budget titles on Xbox 360 and PS3 aren't even going to reach 100,000.
This chart did more harm than good for the argument it seems you were trying to make.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DefHalan

uptownsoul wrote:

Here is your weekly VG charts US pre order for AUG 10.  Notice NO wiiU titles at all.  Now wiiU fanboys will claim low install base, which would make sense.  Except, there are SIX xb1 & PS4 US pre ordered games in the top 40.  Intresting, seeing as though the PS4&XB1 combine for an install base of exactly ZERO.    vgchartz.com/preorders/41497/USA/

uptownsoul wrote:

No my argument is all the wii U owners out there don't appear to be buying the big budget multiplatform games the wii U is going to get. And it can't be because of low install base because there are more preorders on consoles without any install base.

Do people still pre-order games? Plus a big part of Nintendo's market is the eShop. Pre-orders mean nothing until the game comes out. Didn't Aliens Colonial Marines have high Pre-Order numbers? (high being a relative term)

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

uptownsoul wrote:

No my argument is all the wii U owners out there don't appear to be buying the big budget multiplatform games the wii U is going to get. And it can't be because of low install base because there are more preorders on consoles without any install base.

It still doesn't really matter. 3rd parties haven't really been on the up and up, anyway, and that's mainly what's on that chart with some of those games being available on Wii U.
There's still alot of unknown, and there has been for a long while. There's no point in saying one or two consoles will do better than the other, because no one can really say for certain.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DefHalan

uptownsoul wrote:

3rd parties may not be on the up and up. I disagree, but where's the 1st(2nd) party wii U preorders. The Wonderful 101, Zelda wind waker's coming out this holiday, right? Where are the preorders for Nintendo games?

I don't think Nintendo Gamers Pre-Order that much. Most of the other systems games offer some type of bonus to Pre-Ordering and Nintendo games rarely do. I don't think pre-orders are a good way to judge how popular a game is. I have worked at a game retail store and Pre-Orders really don't mean much

mamp

Question: What if it doesn't take off? What will you do and what do you think Nintendo will do? Any ideas or theories to my questions?

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

DefHalan

mamp wrote:

Question: What if it doesn't take off? What will you do and what do you think Nintendo will do? Any ideas or theories to my questions?

Nintendo will survive off the 3DS and not give up on the Wii U. We will still receive games on the Wii U just may be awhile in between releases but Nintendo won't give up so I feel like we are going to repeat the GameCube era for game support. GameCube had some awesome games but barely anyone paid attention to it, that is what the Wii U might become.

DefHalan

uptownsoul wrote:

To your argument that wii u owners don't preorder, I show you this-- 

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251204/usa-preorders-chart-27...

A preorder chart just before pikmin 3 which had 60,000+ preorders before release.  Not a lot but enough to crack the top 40.  Where are the other big 1st & 3rd party preorders for the wii u?

Here's a European chief of ubisoft talking about how he keeps an eye on preorders.  

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/08/16/ubisoft-next-gen-pre-orders-o...

Now I know he's a European chief, but he is an executive so my guess is he's further in the gaming industry than anybody here.  And he cares about preorders enough to keep an eye on them.

First Link, Nintendo's big hit Pikmin 3 barely getting pre-orders compared to sales numbers doesn't prove my point? To the Second Link, Yes companies keep an eye on Pre-orders but when talking about game popularity I don't think Pre-orders don't matter as much as sales numbers do.

EDIT: Plus mostly is just your opinion compared to my opinion.

Edited on by DefHalan

DefHalan

uptownsoul wrote:

It may well prove your point. It doesn't, although, answer why there are no other games that can get preorders similarly? Your second point is again correct. But preorders do matter. Sales are a better for popularity but preorders can give incite & give fairly accurate predictions to the feelings of a game prior to release. So no good feelings or indications of the sort for any wii u games?

Again that is all mostly opinion. So does that mean there is no good feelings or indications for:
Cubemen 2 by Nnooo
Festival of Magic by Snowcastle Games
Forced by BetaDwarf
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams by Black Forest Games
Ittle Dew by Ludosity
Knytt Underground by Ripstone
Pure Chess by Ripstone
March of War by ISOTX
Monkey Pirates by Henchmen Studio
Nihilumbra by BeautiFun Games
Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut by Toxic Games
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails by Dakko Dakko
So Hungry by Xiotex Studios
Squids Deluxe by The Game Bakers
Tengami by Nyamyam
Teslagrad by Rain AS
TNT Racers by Keen Games
Wooden Sen'SeY by Upper Byte

No one has Pre-ordered any of those.

One-Winged-Pit

I will get the Wii U when the Wind Waker bundle comes out. A rumour I know but meh. Until then I can wait.

"You've GOT to be joking! ALL YOU GODS AND ALL YOUR STUPID WARS ARE THE ONES THROWING EVERYTHING OFF BALANCE!!"
3DS Friend Code: 4296-2987-2154

moomoo

mamp wrote:

The Wii U will basically be what the Gamecube was. Not very successful (especially compared to its predecessors) but enough for Nintendo to break even on it. Nintendo's portable machine will carry the bulk of their profits (just like the GBA did) and their home console will be a place for people to buy those exclusive Nintendo games.

What will Nintendo do? They'll support the Wii U and learn from the mistakes of what they made to make something better. Like any company does.
What will I do? Well, I already own a Wii U, so I'll keep to play my Nintendo games and the occasional 3rd party exclusive and get a PS4 or Xbox One as a secondary console for a while. Later on, I'll get the third system. So basically what I did this gen.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

skywake

uptownsoul wrote:

That's definitely the case but I don't think that's an entirely good thing. Maybe it just shows that people want the "next-gen" but aren't entirely sure why they want it yet. If you look at the US pre-order charts it's pretty telling:

PS4:
#8 Watch Dogs
#10 Killzone
#12 Battlefield 4
#14 CoD: Ghosts
#35 Assassin's Creed IV

XBOne
#19 CoD: Ghosts
#31 Battlefield 4

Other than Killzone all of these games are on current gen systems. Even worse for this Wii U FUD theme we've been doing for months now all of the other titles other than Battlefield 4 are also on the Wii U. On the other hand the content that is selling on the Wii U is stuff you can't get anywhere else. That's how it could take off, it offers something that nobody else is doing. Probably also why that multiplatform stuff doesn't go down well on the Wii U, most people who want that content probably already had another platform.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

Hmm...maybe it will, maybe it won't if it doesn't this year it probably will next year. To those saying GTA V won't effect TW101 because it's on different platforms...do you mean to tell me not one single Wii U owner also has a PS3 and/or 360? lol.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DePapier

WebHead wrote:

Hmm...maybe it will, maybe it won't if it doesn't this year it probably will next year. To those saying GTA V won't effect TW101 because it's on different platforms...do you mean to tell me not one single Wii U owner also has a PS3 and/or 360? lol.

When you have the disposable income to buy a Wii U in its doom period while owning a PS3, surely you expect and can afford both. Does that answer your concern?

kkslider5552000

DePapier wrote:

WebHead wrote:

When you have the disposable income to buy a Wii U in its doom period while owning a PS3, surely you expect and can afford both. Does that answer your concern?

yeah, the most likely people to both be hardcore gamers but not own a 360 and PS3 would be the hardcore Nintendo fans who bought it ASAP.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SheldonRandoms

I say yes, it will take off this winter, U just gotta believe!!!

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

WebHead

DePapier wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Yes but here's the thing: GTA V will get easily fives times whatever marketing TW101 gets. I can almost promise you the Wii U owners that have a PS3 or 360 will buy GTA V before they buy TW101. I'm not a GTA fan, but I tell it how I see it.

WebHead

DePapier

WebHead wrote:

DePapier wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Yes but here's the thing: GTA V will get easily fives times whatever marketing TW101 gets. I can almost promise you the Wii U owners that have a PS3 or 360 will buy GTA V before they buy TW101. I'm not a GTA fan, but I tell it how I see it.

We've had this discussion before on these forums and you'd be amazed at how many of us are actually going for The Wonderful 101 instead.

Edited on by DePapier

WebHead

DePapier wrote:

WebHead wrote:

DePapier wrote:

WebHead wrote:

We've had this duscussion before on these forums and you'd be amazed at how many of us are actually going for The Wonderful 101 instead.

I guess you have a point there. I'm deciding between that or Pikmin 3 myself.

WebHead

rallydefault

@WebHead

Yar - I'm one of those people going for 101 instead of GTA. I'm sure there are lots of people out there with 360/PS3 and a Wii U (me included), but the games are so different that I don't see them as competing for my dollar. I'm also in my 20s with a full-time job, though, so I could get both if I want. The only time I would view two games as "competing" for my money would be if they were almost exactly the same. CoD releasing the same time as Battlefield, for example. In that sort of scenario I would only get one game initially and then wait to buy the other if I wanted it that badly.

rallydefault

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.