Wii U Forum

Topic: Will nintendo ever make a true 3d Mario game for Wii u?

Showing 21 to 40 of 60

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

21. Posted:

No haven't you heard? NINTENDO IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Octane

22. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

I can answer this question: "Will nintendo ever make a true 3d Mario game for Wii u?"

YES

Because they already did, and it's called Super Mario 3D World, and it's really great.

Guess what? It's not Galaxy, it's not Sunshine, and it's not Mario 64, it's a NEW game that draws on ideas from across the franchise.

Now putting the silliness of the question aside: We'll probably see another 3D Mario release of some kind on the WIi U as long as they support the console for another 2-3 years. I'm sure people will find reasons to not consider that true 3D Mario game not a true 3D Mario game.

PS: My point, in case you missed it, is that Super Mario 3D World is already a true 3D Mario game.

I think the OP meant a 3D Mario game as in an open ''collect 120 stars'' game, and not the more lineair ''get to the flagpole in x seconds'' type of game. It's not a question whether 3D World is 3D game or not, because it is 3D, we all know that. However it's a 3D adaptation of the 2D series, and has nothing to do with 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ekreig

23. Posted:

ShadJV wrote:

MuchoMochi wrote:

Personally I think the Wii U could definitely use a Super Mario Sunshine sequel. Combine some elements from Galaxy in there, I don't know! Like the guy said above me though I think the right term is an "explorative" 3D mario game.

Super Mario Sunshine Galaxy? Cleaning up the universe one planet at a time?

Geez...I don't even want to think about what kind of crimes Mario is being accused of to be charged with that kind of labor!

ekreig

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

24. Posted:

I hope Nintendo will release a true Pikmin sequel on Wii U...I mean how can you call Pikmin 3 a true Pikmin sequel when it introduces new characters to the game! Only Pikmin games with Olimar as the main character can be true Pikmin sequels!

I have declared it so! Nintendo sucks for not making exactly what I was expecting!

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Octane

25. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

I hope Nintendo will release a true Pikmin sequel on Wii U...I mean how can you call Pikmin 3 a true Pikmin sequel when it introduces new characters to the game! Only Pikmin games with Olimar as the main character can be true Pikmin sequels!

I have declared it so! Nintendo sucks for not making exactly what I was expecting!

Again, you completely miss the point. Not every Mario game is the same. Nobody would consider Pokémon Ranger a sequel to Ruby and Sapphire; they're both Pokémon games, but the gameplay is different. And so is the case with 3D World vs 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. 3D World's gameplay is based on the 2D Mario games, whereas 64/Sunshine/Galaxy focus more on exploration, being more open, and having no time limit; Levels are visited usually more than once, and there's usually a lot to do in the interactive HUB worlds as well.

I know you were sarcastic, but in a reply to your Pikmin example; Every Pikmin has introduced new characters, and changing Olimar never changed the gameplay. It isn't even a proper comparison.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sinalefa

26. Posted:

The nice thing in the "explorative" Marios is that you are usually charged with an unique objective to get a star, like getting some items, beating a character in a race, etc. And there is no time limit. In Galaxy you technically go where the star is and that is considered the end of the level, as in 3D World/Land.

The New Game Plus of sorts in Galaxy 2 (the green star challenge) was nice because it changed the whole mechanic of getting to the end of the level and get the star, to just find the star wherever it is.

I feel that the whole aspect of moving and exploring is not that awesome anymore. It was when 64 debuted because it was so new, and it was in the Galaxy games because of the crazy perspectives. Still I know people that felt the novelty was gone for Galaxy 2. So my point is that the levels won't be huge anymore because of that. Of course, if Nintendo proves me wrong, whether on Wii U or their next console, then I won't complain.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

27. Posted:

Octane wrote:

Action51 wrote:

I hope Nintendo will release a true Pikmin sequel on Wii U...I mean how can you call Pikmin 3 a true Pikmin sequel when it introduces new characters to the game! Only Pikmin games with Olimar as the main character can be true Pikmin sequels!

I have declared it so! Nintendo sucks for not making exactly what I was expecting!

Again, you completely miss the point. Not every Mario game is the same. Nobody would consider Pokémon Ranger a sequel to Ruby and Sapphire; they're both Pokémon games, but the gameplay is different. And so is the case with 3D World vs 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. 3D World's gameplay is based on the 2D Mario games, whereas 64/Sunshine/Galaxy focus more on exploration, being more open, and having no time limit; Levels are visited usually more than once, and there's usually a lot to do in the interactive HUB worlds as well.

I know you were sarcastic, but in a reply to your Pikmin example; Every Pikmin has introduced new characters, and changing Olimar never changed the gameplay. It isn't even a proper comparison.

Let's see...Super Mario 3D world...you jump on goombas and koopas, move between platforms, test your timing and reflexes, collect stars to advance, battle Bowser, and save a kingdom.

Also it's in 3D.

What am I missing again?
It's not what some people wanted exactly...I get that, but that's what keeps the franchise fresh. You could pick one aspect of any 3D Mario game and declare it "not a true 3D Mario" based on that.

Mario doesn't have a default projectile machine power in any other game but Sunshine...so I declare it NOT a TRUE 3D Mario! See?

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Octane

28. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

Octane wrote:

Again, you completely miss the point. Not every Mario game is the same. Nobody would consider Pokémon Ranger a sequel to Ruby and Sapphire; they're both Pokémon games, but the gameplay is different. And so is the case with 3D World vs 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. 3D World's gameplay is based on the 2D Mario games, whereas 64/Sunshine/Galaxy focus more on exploration, being more open, and having no time limit; Levels are visited usually more than once, and there's usually a lot to do in the interactive HUB worlds as well.

I know you were sarcastic, but in a reply to your Pikmin example; Every Pikmin has introduced new characters, and changing Olimar never changed the gameplay. It isn't even a proper comparison.

Let's see...Super Mario 3D world...you jump on goombas and koopas, move between platforms, test your timing and reflexes, collect stars to advance, battle Bowser, and save a kingdom.

Also it's in 3D.

What am I missing again?
It's not what some people wanted exactly...I get that, but that's what keeps the franchise fresh. You could pick one aspect of any 3D Mario game and declare it "not a true 3D Mario" based on that.

Mario doesn't have a default projectile machine power in any other game but Sunshine...so I declare it NOT a TRUE 3D Mario! See?

They're both Mario platformers, of course you'll see Mario characters and battle Bowser, but that wasn't my point. With a time limit, there's no sense of exploration, levels aren't reused for multiple chapters, it misses the entire living, breathing open worlds that 64/Sunshine/Galaxy created around them. Koizumi himself never considered it a sequel to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.

I think you're confusing the OP, and the title of this thread, with my posts. I know it's 3D, but that isn't what makes 3D World different. I'm not saying the game is bad, it's just different, it's a 3D adaptation of the 2D Mario platformers.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Action51

29. Posted:

"...it's a 3D adaptation of the 2D Mario platformers."

Or is it the merging of the two?

Action51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

randomlypikachu

30. Posted:

im still waiting on nintendo to release super mario universe... not kidding either, we got land, world, galaxy, we need a universe! xP

just a nintendo gamer on a nintendo related site (who wouldve seen that one coming?)
the random user name randomly became a Pikachu.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mine01

31. Posted:

I remember that during the direct where they revealed 3d world they also said they where working in a real 3d mario.

Mine01

3DS Friend Code: 5000-3484-9808 | Nintendo Network ID: soakedmine

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Octane

32. Posted:

Action51 wrote:

"...it's a 3D adaptation of the 2D Mario platformers."

Or is it the merging of the two?

Basically the only thing they (3D World and 64/Sunshine/Galaxy) have in common, except for the general stuff, is that they're both 3D. All the other elements from 3D World, and 3D Land as well, are the same as the 2D games. As I said before, the time limit, flagpole as your end goal, lineair style of gameplay, 3 collectibles along your way, and the absence of a HUB world* are all taken from the 2D games. So I don't think there's much reason to call it a merging of both, as the 3D is the only different thing in comparison to the 2D games.

(*3D World's level select screen doesn't account for the HUB worlds we've seen before, there's no interaction possible with anything, no jumping etc, it's basically a glorified selection screen from the 2D games, just with more free roam movement. It doesn't really add much to the game.)

Octane

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

33. Posted:

when Nintendo releases a console with holograms, only then it'll be a truly 3D Videogame

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sinalefa

34. Posted:

Octane wrote:

(*3D World's level select screen doesn't account for the HUB worlds we've seen before, there's no interaction possible with anything, no jumping etc, it's basically a glorified selection screen from the 2D games, just with more free roam movement. It doesn't really add much to the game.)

You can jump, uncover pipes, get coins and 1 ups, so there is some interaction, as limited as it can be.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Octane

35. Posted:

sinalefa wrote:

Octane wrote:

(*3D World's level select screen doesn't account for the HUB worlds we've seen before, there's no interaction possible with anything, no jumping etc, it's basically a glorified selection screen from the 2D games, just with more free roam movement. It doesn't really add much to the game.)

You can jump, uncover pipes, get coins and 1 ups, so there is some interaction, as limited as it can be.

Oh right, I remember, jumping was an option, although I don't believe there was anything to jump on, it wasn't like the actual jumps you could do in the levels. Apparantly it wasn't worth remembering, as it's not much of a difference from the overworld maps of the 2D Mario games.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

36. Posted:

There hasn't been a true mario for years We've been getting casual friendly 'super accessible' affairs with 1-ups being handed out like trick r Treats on halloween which also renders coin collecting completely pointless, an overabundance of power ups and 'game overs' that don't mean a thing....

I love my chubby little sprite sized plumber as much as the next guy, but nintendo has gotten soft with the 2D series not to mention recycling the same visual asthetics, musics, the works. Not a fan of the New super stale series, at the core they still have great level design structure, platforming and control great and the 9nth world always poses a meaty challenge, but overall they're absolutely forgettable & unimaginative compared to 1,2,3 & world and the INsane impact those games made. NSMB.2 shouldn't even exist. It's the worst Super mario game bare none. ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

37. Posted:

Like everyone else said, 3D World is a 3D Mario game, just not the same kind as Galaxy. What I'm more curious about is if they're going to make an ORIGINAL Mario game. I'm getting very sick of the NSMB and 3D series, they're not really doing anything new or exciting gameplay wise and feel like real cookie cutter experiences. I want to see more games in the vein of Sunshine and Galaxy in terms of introducing new themes and ideas to the gameplay.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UGXwolf

38. Posted:

Yes, I do believe we'll get another Mario collect-a-thon, but for love's sake... there's no such thing as "real metal." Stop using "real" and "true" to mean whatever you want it to. This is the very reason the English language has become so painfully imprecise.

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

What a horrible night for a curse...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sleepingmudkip

39. Posted:

what new ideas can we even add to a 3D mario..... really

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

I Love Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

40. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Like everyone else said, 3D World is a 3D Mario game, just not the same kind as Galaxy. What I'm more curious about is if they're going to make an ORIGINAL Mario game. I'm getting very sick of the NSMB and 3D series, they're not really doing anything new or exciting gameplay wise and feel like real cookie cutter experiences. I want to see more games in the vein of Sunshine and Galaxy in terms of introducing new themes and ideas to the gameplay.

we can just end the thread after this, there's nothing else that needs to be said

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/