Forums

Topic: Will Nintendo Always Be Playing Catch-Up to Other Companies?

Posts 101 to 120 of 142

shingi_70

If nintendo were to buy put anyone it would have to be one of the 2nd party dev's like monster games. My biggest thing would be buying Mistwalker and combining them with genius Sorority and alphadream.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Mandoble

Nintendo needs to think what kind of games do they plan to do, what kind of games third parties plan to do on the WiiU, and then decide which kind of hardware will they need for them. Zelda SS is clearly limited by the hardware, it seems that they had prower for the controls or for the graphics but not for both. It is not news that something similar happens for the online features, basically the Wii is too weak to allow them to do what they would like to do, and even weaker when it comes to third party expectations. Nintendo's hardware seems to be always behind Nintendo software and it is becoming the most limiting factor for them. And about innovation, how many Wii games (including Nintendo's ones) take clear advantage of the motion controls? Sony created something similar but far more accurate, and again this is ignored by most dev companies. The only innovation that seems to be effectively used successfully is Kintect (and IMO the very worst possible innovation, but it is just me).

Mandoble

shingi_70

Mandoble wrote:

Nintendo needs to think what kind of games do they plan to do, what kind of games third parties plan to do on the WiiU, and then decide which kind of hardware will they need for them. Zelda SS is clearly limited by the hardware, it seems that they had prower for the controls or for the graphics but not for both. It is not news that something similar happens for the online features, basically the Wii is too weak to allow them to do what they would like to do, and even weaker when it comes to third party expectations. Nintendo's hardware seems to be always behind Nintendo software and it is becoming the most limiting factor for them. And about innovation, how many Wii games (including Nintendo's ones) take clear advantage of the motion controls? Sony created something similar but far more accurate, and again this is ignored by most dev companies. The only innovation that seems to be effectively used successfully is Kintect (and IMO the very worst possible innovation, but it is just me).

If I may ask how Kinect is the worst type innovation. Realistically it should be considered the best becuase unlike the Wiimote and move its not a technological dead in and the uses can be applied to countless other fields other than gaming.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Mandoble

shingi_70, I do like the most relaxing way to play games, Kinect goes in the very opposite direction (as does WM+ while in a lesser degree). Gimmiking seems to be the newest excuse to create the crappiest games ever.

Mandoble

shingi_70

Mandoble wrote:

shingi_70, I do like the most relaxing way to play games, Kinect goes in the very opposite direction (as does WM+ while in a lesser degree). Gimmiking seems to be the newest excuse to create the crappiest games ever.

You can play kinect sitting. One of my favorite moments this gen was lounging on couch playing childen of eden by waving my hands and enjoying the music and colors. Flower with kinect would be wondrous.

WAT!

FloY

Mandoble wrote:

And about innovation, how many Wii games (including Nintendo's ones) take clear advantage of the motion controls?

these wii games for me take great advantage of motion controls:

tomb raider anniversary
star wars the force unleashed (the first one)
Metroid prime corruption (and trilogy)
mario galaxy
zelda skyward sword
indiana jones staff of kings
Okami
Wii Sports
call of duty/Goldeneye/conduit

Edited on by FloY

FloY

Mandoble

For me pointer is good, motion is bad (even worse when radically over used like in ZSS), kinect is the best way to kill games and transform them into toys. BTW most of the games you are mentioning do use motion controls anecdotically if any (dont confuse motion with pointer) and pretty few take any real advantage of them (Z&W is a nice exception).

Mandoble

Malkeor

Gah...I hate reading stuff like that.
For one thing, the main thing I see is that people put graphical power into context way too often.

People said the Wii wasn't up to par because of it's SD capabilities, which in fact motion control was Next-Gen in my opinion. Controls, gameplay, how we game together to play games, that is a true step in innovation....and look what the competition wanted from it.

The other factor is the online component of the Wii. It was certainly behind.
BUT, how can critics claim the Wii U isn't truly Next-Gen when we know nothing about how Nintendo is going to confront the online, connected spectrum of gaming?

The controller has a ton of potential as well. If this isn't a huge step forward in the right direction, than what do we expect?

Playing catch up? I don't think so. At least not until we see a re-revealing of the console E3 2012.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

LzWinky

The term "next-gen" is an oxymoron in itself anyway

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LordTendoboy

E3 2012 is going to be amazing. I wonder if Microsoft is actually going to reveal the next Xbox there... And the full unveiling of the Wii U is so exciting! Plus all the new 3DS games will be announced...

I can't wait!

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

shingi_70

tendoboy1984 wrote:

E3 2012 is going to be amazing. I wonder if Microsoft is actually going to reveal the next Xbox there... And the full unveiling of the Wii U is so exciting! Plus all the new 3DS games will be announced...

I can't wait!

Rumor is that E3 is going to announce it at CES with full blow out at E3. This is so going to make up for this year's sucky one.

WAT!

LzWinky

shingi_70 wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

I can't wait!

Rumor is that E3 is going to announce it at CES with full blow out at E3. This is so going to make up for this year's sucky one.

Huh?

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

komicturtle

I have a real good idea for Kinect...

Hold the controller in one hand to use the analogue sticks, and use the other free hand to "point" or even it can be a "sword". That's one way how you can somewhat replicate the amazing Skyward Sword. Oh, and forgot- the controoler could be the "shield"

Also, mandoble, Nintendo ditched the older controllers in favor of Wii Motionplus.. you know, the the same accurate controls you're going on about Sony... Motion Plus came out a year before Move, and was announced in 2008- who knows how long it was in the works too.

You really need to be up to date with stuff if you're going to make that point.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

LzWinky

KomicZ wrote:

I have a real good idea for Kinect...

Hold the controller in one hand to use the analogue sticks, and use the other free hand to "point" or even it can be a "sword". That's one way how you can somewhat replicate the amazing Skyward Sword.

Also, mandoble, Nintendo ditched the older controllers in favor of Wii Motionplus.. you know, the the same accurate controls you're going on about Sony... Motion Plus came out a year before Move, and was announced in 2008- who knows how long it was in the works too.

You really need to be up to date with stuff if you're going to make that point.

Well to be fair, Move development started in 2001, but then again it wasn't finalized until 2009. There's honestly no way to tell how much it copied or if it copied at all

shingi_70

lz20XX wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

I can't wait!

Huh?

This years E3 sucked. Current rumor is that Mircosoft is going to show off the new Xbox at ces (consumer electronic show) next month. Major nelson has been randomly tweeting about ces since last month.

Also at CES mircosoft is fully unveiling Windows 8 and the Nokia Windows phone 7's. Its thought that the nextbox will be running windows 8 and this would be the place to show the three screened approach.

WAT!

komicturtle

Well, I'm not trying to really argue who came first- everyone adapts to the market. I never knew Move was in development that long, but I wouldn't be surprised since companies are always working on something behind closed doors. Just saying Wii MotionPlus is now the standard controller and has been for a year. Same tech as Move- both provide accurate motion gaming.

komicturtle

LzWinky

KomicZ wrote:

Well, I'm not trying to really argue who came first- everyone adapts to the market. I never knew Move was in development that long, but I wouldn't be surprised since companies are always working on something behind closed doors. Just saying Wii MotionPlus is now the standard controller and has been for a year. Same tech as Move- both provide accurate motion gaming.

Not true. Move uses different tech for similar functions

CanisWolfred

lz20XX wrote:

Those "analysts" are just blowing smoke. Each company has their own strategy and no one is playing "catch up" to the others. Nintendo sure as heck wasn't catching up to anyone this past gen when they made the most hardware sales.

Why didn't this thread just end here?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LordTendoboy

shingi_70 wrote:

This years E3 sucked. Current rumor is that Mircosoft is going to show off the new Xbox at ces (consumer electronic show) next month. Major nelson has been randomly tweeting about ces since last month.

Also at CES mircosoft is fully unveiling Windows 8 and the Nokia Windows phone 7's. Its thought that the nextbox will be running windows 8 and this would be the place to show the three screened approach.

Xbox running Windows? Might as well just call it a PC then.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

Masterox7737

By the way, there will come a point where graphics are so realistic that that games will look like today's movies... think about it... :/

Masterox7737

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.