Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U Tech Specifications Similar To Those Of X Box 360?

Showing 41 to 60 of 100

AuthorMessage

Bankai

41. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

You missed my point entirely. Imposing restrictions, whether by putting crap-tiny storage in the hardware, or actually writing silly rules to limit the size of the game developers can make, is not a good thing.

This has been going on since the dawn of the gaming industry. Hardware imposes limitations on developers, and it's usually the fault of the technology that is available. So back in the days of Atari, you expect developers to have access to near-unlimited amount of storage so they could make their games as big as they wanted them? Do you realize how expensive it would be for consumers to buy hardware like that? Developers and manufacturers work with the technology they're given.

An iPod Touch with a 300 GB flash drive would be astronomically expensive. The reason the games are small is so they can fit withing the storage limits. Hell, the reason the Xbox 360 shipped with a 20 GB hard drive originally is so the manufacturing and consumer costs would be low enough for the mass market.

Also, look at the Neo Geo. It had cartridges that held a ton of data (for it's time), and the result of that was games that cost over $200. Obviously consumers didn't appreciate that, so the Neo Geo was left on sore shelves to rot while the Super NES and Genesis sold in large amounts.

So I just imagined that my Sony PlayStation 3 has a 250GB Hard Drive filled up with a mix of 30MB Minis to 150MB PSOne games all the way up to 9.8GB PS3 games.

So I just imagined that my 64GB iPad was filled with games from 5MB right up to 1.5GB in size.

So I just imagined that this cloud company called OnLive exists that gives people the opportunity to play 10GB games without downloading a thing.

You're absolutely, 100% right. Nintendo is not alone in imposing unnecessary restrictions on the technology games developers have to work with. Eeeeeeeeeeeveryone does it.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

42. Posted:

YellowChocobo wrote:

Nintendo is not alone in imposing unnecessary restrictions on the technology games developers have to work with. Eeeeeeeeeeeveryone does it.

Exactly. It's called working withing the confines of the technology you're given (whether it's a storage device or gaming hardware).

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

Bankai

43. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

Nintendo is not alone in imposing unnecessary restrictions on the technology games developers have to work with. Eeeeeeeeeeeveryone does it.

Exactly. It's called working withing the confines of the technology you're given (whether it's a storage device or gaming hardware).

Wow. Really? You didn't get what I was saying in my previous comment?

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

44. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

XBLA had a small limit when it first started. A year or two microsoft opened the limit to 1GB. Now the Limit for XBLA content is 4GB.

Look at section: 8 prejudice. That's a PSN/XBLA game that's better than most retail games in its genre and that wouldn't hit wiiware.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

45. Posted:

YellowChocobo wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

Wow. Really? You didn't get what I was saying in my previous comment?

Well the OnLive thing is still in it's infancy stages. Until broadband speeds are fast enough for lag-free gaming, and data caps are removed (never going to happen), OnLive will have a very hard time reaching the mainstream market.

Many people are perfectly happy with the way PSN, Xbox Live, iOS, etc. are right now. And as of right now, the world just isn't ready for a data-intensive service like OnLive or Gakai.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

Bankai

46. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

XBLA had a small limit when it first started. A year or two microsoft opened the limit to 1GB. Now the Limit for XBLA content is 4GB.

Look at section: 8 prejudice. That's a PSN/XBLA game that's better than most retail games in its genre and that wouldn't hit wiiware.

God of War HD PSN - 9.8GB. Great game, too.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

47. Posted:

Not to encourage anything here but I judge love it when you two debate.

...because it never goes anywhere. :D

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Lan

48. Posted:

Once my friends couldn't beat a boss on god of war. I had never played it. I asked if I could try. I beat him on my first try

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

49. Posted:

YellowChocobo wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

Microsoft offers full disc-based games on Xbox Live. Xbox Live Arcade is a separate service from the total Xbox Marketplace, it's specifically for smaller arcade-style games (like WiiWare). Sony's equivalent would be PS Minis.

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

50. Posted:

MOVING ON! I think it's safe to assume that the WiiU will be more powerful than the Xbox. Doubt its processor will surpass PS3's though. I sorta wish Nintendo had looked to nVidia for their GPUs, mainly because they're better at tessellation than ATI (at least when using Direct3D 11), meaning that the WiiU would've been able to output less jagged 3D models. But it'd be more expensive, and I'm an ATI fanboy :P

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

51. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

Microsoft offers full disc-based games on Xbox Live. Xbox Live Arcade is a separate service from the total Xbox Marketplace, it's specifically for smaller arcade-style games (like WiiWare). Sony's equivalent would be PS Minis.

PSN is the XBLA/Wiiware store. Mini's are supposed to be more in line with iphone gaming.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

52. Posted:

bobbiKat wrote:

MOVING ON! I think it's safe to assume that the WiiU will be more powerful than the Xbox. Doubt its processor will surpass PS3's though. I sorta wish Nintendo had looked to nVidia for their GPUs, mainly because they're better at tessellation than ATI (at least when using Direct3D 11), meaning that the WiiU would've been able to output less jagged 3D models. But it'd be more expensive, and I'm an ATI fanboy :P

Jaggies have been a part of 3D gaming on consoles [and now handhelds] for the past 15 years. What magical technology will remove jaggies completely?

PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

FOREST_RANGER

53. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

bobbiKat wrote:

Jaggies have been a part of 3D gaming on consoles [and now handhelds] for the past 15 years. What magical technology will remove jaggies completely?

Either 2014 PC GPU's using DirectX 11 or OpenGL 4.0 API's to display models with indistinguishable vertices when viewed as a wireframe, voxels (3d pixels like legos), or some new and smarter computer graphics algorithm that renders geometry processing obsolete.

EDIT: I'll also add NURBS, which is a method of representing a 3D object based on mathematics rather than coordinates of vertexes in space. Similar to how vector images are different from raster images.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage

motang

54. Posted:

I would take this with a grain of salt, but then again Nintendo hasn't pushed the tech in a long time, and they don't necessarily have to nowadays.

NIN10DO
My 3DS code: 1032-2518-1374

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

55. Posted:

Games sell gaming systems. Don't be fooled by Sony's TGS conference! ;)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

misswliu81

56. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

Games sell gaming systems.

this.

misswliu81

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

57. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

Games sell gaming systems. Don't be fooled by Sony's TGS conference! ;)

Not any more. More than Half the Wii's and Xboxs bought during black friday were 2nd consoles that would be used as cheap media streaming boxes. (or in the case of the Wii netflix only)

My Mom bought an Xbox over the weekend with Kinect for herself. She's using it as Media only device with the only games on it are the Pac-man stuff and bejewled.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

James

58. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Not any more. More than Half the Wii's and Xboxs bought during black friday were 2nd consoles that would be used as cheap media streaming boxes. (or in the case of the Wii netflix only)

That's an interesting statistics; where did you read that?

I am not ignoring you. I just do not post much.

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

59. Posted:

James wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

That's an interesting statistics; where did you read that?

One part Analyst Rubbish the other part working part time retail.

Worked in the electronics section during Black Friday. Alot of the buyers were buying the second or third systems for Netlix streaming for the kids and what not.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

edhe

60. Posted:

misswliu81 wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

Games sell gaming systems.

this.

And what if developers don't want to make games for an underpowered games console? If Sony and Microsoft's consoles blow Nintendo's out of the water in terms of power, what's stopping the game companies just giving up on Nintendo?

My Backloggery
Wii #: 2706 9539 1977 4210
Yes. I have Wii Music
Edwardpon playplay Xenoblade Chronicles
WarioWare D.I.Y
Even I don't know how to pronounce my username
Follow a cow?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260 | Nintendo Network ID: edhe84