Forums

Topic: Wii U Tech Specifications Similar To Those Of X Box 360?

Posts 21 to 40 of 98

misswliu81

lockelocke wrote:

@misswliu81

Because (as of right now) each Wii U console will ONLY SUPPORT ONE Wii U tablet controller, all of the multiplayer demos @ E3 were running WiiMote/Nunchuck controls (1 Wii U controller with 3 WiiMote/Nunchuck setups for other players). I'd imagine that most games will feature at least some degree of Wii peripheral compatibility due to the limitation of only 1 Wii U controller per console.

that's absolutely correct. and didn't reggie say the wii U will co-exist alongside the wii? that probably means the wiimote and nunchuck will be compatible with the wii U and you can still play wii U and perhaps wii games too.

misswliu81

shingi_70

lockelocke wrote:

@misswliu81

Because (as of right now) each Wii U console will ONLY SUPPORT ONE Wii U tablet controller, all of the multiplayer demos @ E3 were running WiiMote/Nunchuck controls (1 Wii U controller with 3 WiiMote/Nunchuck setups for other players). I'd imagine that most games will feature at least some degree of Wii peripheral compatibility due to the limitation of only 1 Wii U controller per console.

It was confrimed last month that they should have at least two tablet support by E3. the third parties want it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-08-wii-u-to-support...

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

misswliu81

it makes sense for home consoles to have 2 controllers packaged with it. the thing is with the wii U, given the size of them, people are wondering how much that controller would cost individually, and if the price of the wii U-if it is to be over £250/$250 for example- will be more expensive as it comes with more than 1 controller .

misswliu81

shingi_70

misswliu81 wrote:

it makes sense for home consoles to have 2 controllers packaged with it. the thing is with the wii U, given the size of them, people are wondering how much that controller would cost individually, and if the price of the wii U-if it is to be over £250/$250 for example- will be more expensive as it comes with more than 1 controller .

I think its only going to come with one controller.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

FOREST_RANGER

shingi_70 wrote:

And honestly I would be inclined to agree with but saves and downloadable games save up. That 8-16 flash that's going to be included would be eaten up by any XBLA/PSN game.

Well then, the developers will just have to use clever programming, space saving techniques, and compression. Although, that's silly talk when they could just be lazy and come up with the excuse of external hard drives and SD cards to develop mammoth games. Anyhow, an SSD does sound tempting, and I see where you're coming.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

kkslider5552000

bobbiKat wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

And honestly I would be inclined to agree with but saves and downloadable games save up. That 8-16 flash that's going to be included would be eaten up by any XBLA/PSN game.

Well then, the developers will just have to use clever programming, space saving techniques, and compression.

effort? In my gaming?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bankai

bobbiKat wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Well then, the developers will just have to use clever programming, space saving techniques, and compression. Although, that's silly talk when they could just be lazy and come up with the excuse of external hard drives and SD cards to develop mammoth games. Anyhow, an SSD does sound tempting, and I see where you're coming.

More likely the Wii U download portal won't have many 1GB games on there at all.

Edited on by Bankai

LordTendoboy

YellowChocobo wrote:

bobbiKat wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

More likely the Wii U download portal won't have many 1GB games on there at all.

This. All of the games on WiiWare are under the 40 MB limit, and there are plenty of small games on the App Store, Xbox Live Arcade, and PS Minis (<-- those must be 100 MB or less).

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

Bankai

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

bobbiKat wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

This. All of the games on WiiWare are under the 40 MB limit, and there are plenty of small games on the App Store, Xbox Live Arcade, and PS Minis (<-- those must be 100 MB or less).

I didn't mean to suggest that was a good thing.

komicturtle

Specs? Bleh.

I want my Smash Bros 4. Dont care about dem specs, or th 3rd parties kissing Ninty's ass- i mean, making games for their console.. I want mii Smashu Brosa.

komicturtle

LordTendoboy

WaveBoy wrote:

The Wii U controller is a step back and a step forward.

It's basically a handheld on a console. Nothing innovative about that at all. The streaming is all software based. It's like they took a DS, chopped off the top screen, added 2 analog pads and 2 extra shoulder buttons, and voila --> a Wii U controller!

At least the Wii Remote was something completely new and refreshing: A one-handed controller that could detect the motion of the player's arm (via gyroscope and accelerometer), and had an expansion port for connecting external accessories.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

[...

Bankai

tendoboy1984 wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

The Wii U controller is a step back and a step forward.

It's basically a handheld on a console. Nothing innovative about that at all. The streaming is all software based. It's like they took a DS, chopped off the top screen, added 2 analog pads and 2 extra shoulder buttons, and voila --> a Wii U controller!

At least the Wii Remote was something completely new and refreshing: A one-handed controller that could detect the motion of the player's arm (via gyroscope and accelerometer), and had an expansion port for connecting external accessories.

That's a silly comparison. That's like saying the iPad is a "blown up" iPhone or iPod Touch. Technically? Sure, why not. In practice though that (much) larger screen makes for an entirely different gaming experience.

There's no reason to think a table-sized screen plus a friggin' TV sized screen can't provide entirely different game experiences to anything you've done on the DS.

FOREST_RANGER

YellowChocobo wrote:

bobbiKat wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. With the WiiU beefing up in specs from the Wii, more developers have gotta look into the WiiUWare platform. And with higher resolution images, textures, shaders, animations, and models being possible, more space would be craved my many developers. Of course, it depends on how well the WiiU starts off and sells.

EDIT: I replaced loved with craved.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

LordTendoboy

YellowChocobo wrote:

How are small games bad? They take up minimal space on a hard drive/flash drive, they're quick to play in short bursts, they download quickly, etc. All the games on the old Game Boy, Super NES, NES, Genesis, etc. were small compared to today's games. Are you saying that's a bad thing too?

[...

Lan

An ipad is a big ipod.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

Bankai

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

How are small games bad? They take up minimal space on a hard drive/flash drive, they're quick to play in short bursts, they download quickly, etc. All the games on the old Game Boy, Super NES, NES, Genesis, etc. were small compared to today's games. Are you saying that's a bad thing too?

You missed my point entirely. Imposing restrictions, whether by putting crap-tiny storage in the hardware, or actually writing silly rules to limit the size of the game developers can make, is not a good thing.

An ipad is a big ipod.

You don't have one.

Edited on by Bankai

Lan

I wish I could see snes-sized games on wiiware that were full, amazing games.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

LordTendoboy

YellowChocobo wrote:

You missed my point entirely. Imposing restrictions, whether by putting crap-tiny storage in the hardware, or actually writing silly rules to limit the size of the game developers can make, is not a good thing.

This has been going on since the dawn of the gaming industry. Hardware imposes limitations on developers, and it's usually the fault of the technology that is available. So back in the days of Atari, you expect developers to have access to near-unlimited amount of storage so they could make their games as big as they wanted them? Do you realize how expensive it would be for consumers to buy hardware like that? Developers and manufacturers work with the technology they're given.

An iPod Touch with a 300 GB flash drive would be astronomically expensive. The reason the games are small is so they can fit withing the storage limits. Hell, the reason the Xbox 360 shipped with a 20 GB hard drive originally is so the manufacturing and consumer costs would be low enough for the mass market.

Also, look at the Neo Geo. It had cartridges that held a ton of data (for it's time), and the result of that was games that cost over $200. Obviously consumers didn't appreciate that, so the Neo Geo was left on sore shelves to rot while the Super NES and Genesis sold in large amounts.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

[...

shingi_70

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

That was due to the limits of the technology at the time. If were capable of better we should take it. Also 1GB is small in modern times.

For reference looking at the sizes of a few XBLA games. (the five most recent)

Movie night scene it- 1.27GB
Voltron- 1.13GB
Xotic-1.78GB
Fusion genesis- 517.92GB
Burgertime world tour:399.57MB
The War of the worlds-1.47GB
Daytona U.S.A- 228.98MB
Zombie apoclyspe- 585.46MB
Bejweled 3- 210.71MB
Dungeon Defenders- 1.39GB
Guardian Heroes- 922.76MB

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Bankai

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

This has been going on since the dawn of the gaming industry. Hardware imposes limitations on developers, and it's usually the fault of the technology that is available. So back in the days of Atari, you expect developers to have access to near-unlimited amount of storage so they could make their games as big as they wanted them? Do you realize how expensive it would be for consumers to buy hardware like that? Developers and manufacturers work with the technology they're given.

An iPod Touch with a 300 GB flash drive would be astronomically expensive. The reason the games are small is so they can fit withing the storage limits. Hell, the reason the Xbox 360 shipped with a 20 GB hard drive originally is so the manufacturing and consumer costs would be low enough for the mass market.

Also, look at the Neo Geo. It had cartridges that held a ton of data (for it's time), and the result of that was games that cost over $200. Obviously consumers didn't appreciate that, so the Neo Geo was left on sore shelves to rot while the Super NES and Genesis sold in large amounts.

So I just imagined that my Sony PlayStation 3 has a 250GB Hard Drive filled up with a mix of 30MB Minis to 150MB PSOne games all the way up to 9.8GB PS3 games.

So I just imagined that my 64GB iPad was filled with games from 5MB right up to 1.5GB in size.

So I just imagined that this cloud company called OnLive exists that gives people the opportunity to play 10GB games without downloading a thing.

You're absolutely, 100% right. Nintendo is not alone in imposing unnecessary restrictions on the technology games developers have to work with. Eeeeeeeeeeeveryone does it.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.