Forums

Topic: Wii U Tech Specifications Similar To Those Of X Box 360?

Posts 1 to 20 of 98

misswliu81

Wii U has quad core 3GHz CPU, 768 MB of RAM

On December 2nd, 2011 in News, Rumor

Nintendo is finally set to release a new, much more powerful console with HD graphics, and many are wondering what kind of technology we might find inside the console, and how it will compare with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

We’ve heard from developers who have access to the console that the Wii U is “50% more powerful” than the Xbox 360 and PS3. We now know that those estimates of 50% are based on the fact that the Wii U is around 50% more powerful on paper, according to information Wii U Daily obtained from a Japanese developer who is currently working on porting a PS3 game to the Wii U.

According to the source, the Wii U specs are:
Quad Core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU, very similar to the Xbox 360 chip.
768 MB of DRAM “embedded” with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
Unknown, 40nm ATI-based GPU

The source also mentions that Nintendo has been testing two versions of the console, one with 768 MB of RAM, and one with 1 GB. The RAM is also made by IBM and is embedded with the processor on the same die/silicon, which results in more bandwidth.

These were the specs that Nintendo showed developers around March 2011, so it’s unknown how close to the final specs these are, considering there’s a year until the console is scheduled for release.

When it was unveiled earlier this year, Nintendo confirmed that the Wii U would support 1080p graphics and 3D is possible as well.

http://wiiudaily.com/2011/12/wii-u-has-quad-core-3ghz-cpu-768...

misswliu81

shingi_70

Rumor has been debunked as its not inline with the rumuors from around E3 and what dev's have been telling us.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

misswliu81

shingi_70 wrote:

Rumor has been debunked as its not inline with the rumuors from around E3 and what dev's have been telling us.

that is true. the article does say that as of march 2011, those were the specs for the wii U. alas, given as we are now in dec, this must've changed. which in that case, it could be the wii U will be (slightly) more powerful than the 360 and perhaps the PS3 too.

misswliu81

Alexneon

I dont care if it is the same as xbox 360 or ps3 in power , i just hope that the wii U dont have The Red Ring of Death like the 360 or the YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) like in ps3.

Nintendo Switch FC: 1403-81460918
Gamertag: Alexneon78
PSN ID: Alexneon_

Switch Friend Code: SW-1403-8146-0918 | My Nintendo: Alexneon

misswliu81

the tech specs of the wii U isn't something i'm too fussed about; it's the types of games and the quality of those games we get on it.

i want to see fighting games in particular on the wii U like tekken, virtua fighter, soulcalibur, which the wii hasn't had more of during its 5 year span, as i'm a fan of that genre.

misswliu81

shingi_70

At leastI want the Wii-U to be running the maxed out pC version of Battlefield 3 or Arkham City (those physics) at most I want it to be able to run the epic Samaritan demo.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

GameLord08

I don't know. I don't care. So long as it can run a full-out graphically amazing game, I'm fine.

GameLord08

WindWaker24

Imagine 2.5 and "2D" games on this!

Comment about my signature, where ever you post!
The Adventure of Link: Zelda XIII

So, I suggest this site is a thread about my sig, where it's best to comment about it somewhere near where I post or in a thread of mine.

Post something somewhere about the Zelda XIII idea and n...

WindWaker24

Such as fighting game, where several fight s could be going on at once and you quickly switch to other screens in seamless way

So, I suggest this site is a thread about my sig, where it's best to comment about it somewhere near where I post or in a thread of mine.

FOREST_RANGER

Wake me up when the WiiU or the next Nintendo console surpasses my Core i7 laptop with 6GB memory and ATI 6850 GPU with 1GB video RAM.

No, no. I was just playing around. I really don't care, as long as it has a better processor than the Wii, attracts more developers, and outputs at HD resolution, I'll be happy with the WiiU.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

WindWaker24

There's great discussions in this thread: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii2/wii_u_what_do_you_exp...
I made. It's about your expectations for Wii U

I'll get into it too (I just let the convos going like the one about wii tablet validity, so yeah, it's time to revive it, less than 2 months.)
thanks for posting the info here on n-life forums Misswliu81

Edited on by WindWaker24

misswliu81

WindWaker24 wrote:

There's great discussions in this thread: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii2/wii_u_what_do_you_exp...
I made. It's about your expectations for Wii U

I'll get into it too (I just let the convos going like the one about wii tablet validity, so yeah, it's time to revive it, less than 2 months.)
thanks for posting the info here on n-life forums Misswliu81

thanks for the link to the wii U thread. and you're welcome.

misswliu81

shingi_70

Ugh looked on the Wii-U spec sheet from the E3 site and nintendo disappointed me already.

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about

Storage:The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

While I'm all for the Use of Flash memory i have to say i'm disappointed that the HDD will be external and not internal. The only benefit of an external drive is picking up a 1TB one for around $170. I would rather pay $100 for a 500GB and keep it in the system. Not only is it cleaned looking but more practical for travel.

WAT!

Martyn

shingi_70 wrote:

Ugh looked on the Wii-U spec sheet from the E3 site and nintendo disappointed me already.

Storage:The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

While I'm all for the Use of Flash memory i have to say i'm disappointed that the HDD will be external and not internal. The only benefit of an external drive is picking up a 1TB one for around $170. I would rather pay $100 for a 500GB and keep it in the system. Not only is it cleaned looking but more practical for travel.

That's a positive. If it was just internal memory you couldn't remove then well...that sucks.
Having external means you can use any compatible device.

Martyn

shingi_70

Martyn wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

That's a positive. If it was just internal memory you couldn't remove then well...that sucks.

The PS3 has an internal Hardrive that can be replaced with any Laptop sized HDD. Takes Five minutes at the most.

WAT!

FOREST_RANGER

shingi_70 wrote:

Martyn wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

The PS3 has an internal Hardrive that can be replaced with any Laptop sized HDD. Takes Five minutes at the most.

Truthfully, I'd rather have shorter loading times than more storage. So I think the option of having internal flash and an SD card slot and a USB port is good enough u_u

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

Lan

I heard the ram is supposedly super fast and that makes just 768 megs a lot better than your average 768 megs o' ram

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

shingi_70

[quote]

bobbiKat wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Martyn wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Truthfully, I'd rather have shorter loading times than more storage. So I think the option of having internal flash and an SD card slot and a USB port is good enough u_u[/quote

Throw in a SSD. Its not going to happen (too expensive for my blood)

And honestly I would be inclined to agree with but saves and downloadable games save up. That 8-16 flash that's going to be included would be eaten up by any XBLA/PSN game.

WAT!

misswliu81

WaveBoy wrote:

60 frames per second should be the standard next gen, as well as '1080p' native games.
I just want to see some insane innovations with the Wii U controller...it's already going to be a let down for first person or 3rd person tiles when stacked up the Wii remote plus. Honestly, who in their right mind would want to go back to traditional controls for the next 3D Zelda in favor of a touch screen on the controller?Many, I'm sure. But i for one won't have it.

Sure they could bust out some crazy unique and fun ideas with that alone, but it's just a massive trade off regarding the traditional lay out. But whatever, like many have already said there will probably be alternate control schemes.....It just sucks that they're not exactly building on the Wii remote plus....Give us a Wireless Nunchuck that's also wii motion plus capable. Wouldn't it be awesome to use Link's Shield 1:1 with a new type of Nunchuck and use the Wii remote plus(like in Skyword Sword) as his sword?

The Wii U controller is a step back and a step forward.....It's just another unique way to play games, but as it seems now(which is way too early to call as it is) it's not exactly building on what they've done with the wii. I guess that step forward would of been obvious, so they took a uniqe and different approach. I'm still a bit iffy on the controller, but i'm sure Nintendo will wow us with their next E3. I'm really hoping we'll see Reggie in a Pikmin Bikini, here's hoping.

i'm happy that this console will have a traditional controller for games, especially fighting and platform games. i'm not into playing them with a standard wii mote for these. but this controller will have a touchscreen which will open up all sorts of possibilities.

but even with that, one should be allowed to use your wii remote and nunchuck, as well as the classic controller and not just this controller for the wii U. nintendo should consider making these optional. especially if one doesn't want to fork out on another control pad.

misswliu81

lockelocke

@misswliu81

Because (as of right now) each Wii U console will ONLY SUPPORT ONE Wii U tablet controller, all of the multiplayer demos @ E3 were running WiiMote/Nunchuck controls (1 Wii U controller with 3 WiiMote/Nunchuck setups for other players). I'd imagine that most games will feature at least some degree of Wii peripheral compatibility due to the limitation of only 1 Wii U controller per console.

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.