Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U Pro Controller discussion

Showing 81 to 100 of 143

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

81. Posted:

Nintendo's biggest mistake I think is the proprietary control scheme they concocted on the Wii U. It's a non-issue if you only play on the Wii U & nothing else but it's an issue if you're a multi console platform gamer cuz your mind is set on a particular control scheme & you need to constantly adjust when playing from one console platform to another.

That's all folks & goodnight!

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

82. Posted:

A successful controller is one which allows you to forget you're using a controller. That means long battery life, non-dodgy input and minimal hand fatigue. The Pro Controller does that from my experience as do all of the other modern controllers. Thus this whole argument is meaningless.

............. unless you want to use the 360 Controller for a 2D Platformer ;)

@Cheaptrick
Yeah, it literally has the same buttons as every other modern controller. The location of the second stick makes little difference and if it did the same would be true for the PS3/360 because their sticks are in different positions also. As for button layout the PS3 quite literally has it's own button names and everything. So this is yet another nonsensical argument you've created

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

83. Posted:

Untitled
You might want this bro... It's just as comfortable as the PS360 controllers ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

84. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

but it's an issue if you're a multi console platform gamer cuz your mind is set on a particular control scheme & you need to constantly adjust when playing from one console platform to another.

This is just.. what..?

The Ps3 controller is different from the 360 controller (vice versa) and the WiiU controller is different from those two respectively. Thinking you can get used to one single control scheme while playing on different systems is ridiculous. There is no 'standard'.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkLloyd

85. Posted:

playing with any controller is second nature for me even new ones but i guess thats just for people who are really deep into gaming culture, or maybe its a learning thing i dont know

DarkLloyd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

86. Posted:

@Cheaptrick
You can change most control schemes in the menus. If you can't, that's the devs problem for not mapping them based on location instead of label or giving you the option to change the control scheme.
The X, Y, and A, B buttons are switched in comparison to the Xbox 360, but it's been that way for years. Tekken already mapped the controls well as far as I know.
If devs just mapped the buttons as the top, left, right, and down, it doesn't matter what the buttons are called.
The battery pack, d-pad, and (IMO) the analog stick placement is better than the 360. They simply revised alot of what makes modern controllers appealing.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

87. Posted:

The differing button labels are only an issue with quicktime events. All other times it's pretty easy to get used to even when it's on the "wrong" place. Even if a game has "press X to enter car" thing it's annoying the first time but it doesn't take long to learn that that button position gets you into cars.

The stick position is easy to get used to infact it takes no time at all from my experience. I'd argue that the placement is all to do with which item you're more likely to use. The top is for the more commonly used control and the bottom is for the less frequently used one. Left side there's no reason not to have the analogue stick up the top unless you're developing a controller that focuses on games with the D-Pad. Right side is debatable, the face buttons probably being the more dominant.

If anything Sony are the only ones who have gotten the analogue stick placement wrong. A vestige from a time when analogue sticks were an afterthought....... which is ok if you're making it for games from that time but a bit odd for modern gaming

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

88. Posted:

Ya. I think Sony just keeps messing up their controllers. I can basically use every Nintendo controller in the past 7 years, vs. having to start over collecting controllers again. Millions of people already have Wii remotes, nunchucks, and classic controllers, which gives potential future Wii U owners that already own a Wii tons of control schemes and controllers right out of the box. Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing, COD, and Tekken(not as good) have Wii remote control schemes which is a huge advantage, IMO.
I have 2 Pro controllers, and a complete set of Wii remote options right here. Wii U has the best controller compatibility in all video game history thus far.
My guess is that Sony will once again overshadow features present in their newest controller which won't make a difference(the touchpad), and allow BC compatibility with DualShock 3 anyway.
Sony's controllers are all over the place...
No more pressure sensitivity, and 6 axis will continue to be MAINLY useless.
I'm fine with Xbox 360 controllers, but Pro not having a headphone jack is not going to make me like it any better. The benefits outweigh the negatives in this situation.
I'm still waiting for a good reason why analog triggers are needed so bad. If anything, Nintendo brought it to our attention that they aren't as necessary as we may have thought.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

89. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I'm still waiting for a good reason why analog triggers are needed so bad. If anything, Nintendo brought it to our attention that they aren't as necessary as we may have thought.

They're very nice to have in racing sim games, like Gran Turismo or Forza, but faaar from necessary. A few absurdly powerful cars might spin out if you don't progressively apply gas, versus going from nothing to full throttle.

I will say I really liked analog triggers for Sta Wars Rogue Leader. Press lightly for normal blasters, click in all the way for torpedoes/missiles.

Edited on by willobee

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

90. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Yeah I know the pro controller is crappy mate that's why the whole idea of the WiiU is based around the next gen gamepad concept...

There's really no point continuing this discussion about Pro controller not being the best among the 3. Even if you strip the Pro controller with one its dual Analog sticks Nintendo fanboys will always think of it as the best. It makes no sense bringing facts when the opposite side is not open to facts. The Wii U controllers was already stripped of Analog triggers yet Nintendo fanboys doesn't seem to see why it's needed on the Wii U. Even if you strip the Wii U controllers of its D-Pad Nintendo fanboys will always say there's really no significance of putting a D-pad on its controllers. There's really no winning here & I'm totally done.

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

91. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Yeah I know the pro controller is crappy mate that's why the whole idea of the WiiU is based around the next gen gamepad concept...

There's really no point continuing this discussion about Pro controller not being the best among the 3. Even if you strip the Pro controller with one its dual Analog sticks Nintendo fanboys will always think of it as the best. It makes no sense bringing facts when the opposite side is not open to facts. The Wii U controllers was already stripped of Analog triggers yet Nintendo fanboys doesn't seem to see why it's needed on the Wii U. Even if you strip the Wii U controllers of its D-Pad Nintendo fanboys will always say there's really no significance of putting a D-pad on its controllers. There's really no winning here & I'm totally done.

You're ridiculous. Even IF they got rid of the D-pad or an analog stick? WTF? No one would like Nintendo if they were stupid like that. Now you're just targeting people.
THEY DIDN'T GET RID OF THE ANALOG STICK OR THE D-PAD, SO WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? It's a freaking controller that works. If you like analog triggers that rarely get used, and a headphone jack for wired headsets that hardly anyone likes over wireless headsets so much, just go play Xbox. PS3 didn't have a headphone jack, and no one complained all these years.
I don't get what you're trying to do. Tons of people here like more than one console, not just Nintendo. That doesn't label anyone as a fanboy, and it's even worse that it's part of your argument.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

92. Posted:

@Cheaptrick
Except for the "fact" that in my disagreement with you I have literally said that all of the controllers were more or less as good as each other.

skywake wrote:

A successful controller is one which allows you to forget you're using a controller. That means long battery life, non-dodgy input and minimal hand fatigue. The Pro Controller does that from my experience as do all of the other modern controllers. Thus this whole argument is meaningless.

That it's nonsense to say we're trying to argue that it's the best controller ever given we have voiced criticisms both of the Pro Controller

19Robb92 wrote:

skywake wrote:

The way I see it there are three things that would have made the Pro Controller better.

  • Non-glossy finish
  • Analogue triggers
  • Headset input

Would have been nice with a stronger rumble feedback and some built in speakers as well IMO.

and of Nintendo controllers more generally

skywake wrote:

The D-Pad is probably equal second to the SNES D-Pad which I personally think is the best D-Pad I've ever used. It's better than Sony's, it's better than Microsofts, it's better than the one on the Gamecube Controller which was tiny and the one that's on the 3DS made of dinky plastic. It's not better than the one on the SNES.

skywake wrote:

I went outside to try out the SNES D-Pad and I take back what I said about the SNES D-Pad being the benchmark. Must have been nostalgia. It's pretty fantastic but I do prefer the more modern version of the D-Pad that Nintendo has made. The SNES D-Pad is a little bit stiff which isn't as great as what they've done with the Pro Controller. Pro Controller in terms of stiffness is somewhere between the SNES and DS Lite... which is a pretty happy middle ground.

So I don't know what the benchmark is....

It's nonsense to suggest that you are the bringer of facts and we, admittedly in a Nintendo forum, are biased fanboys immune to criticism who would love the Pro Controller even if it was a button on a string. Infact in the last few pages there has been criticism apart from yours directed at the Pro Controller and other Nintendo controllers. There has also been praise of what other controllers have done to the point where I even said they were all more or less equal. So perhaps next time instead of crying when you don't get a satisfying enough rise out of users on a forum you should maybe try a new angle to troll on rather than going harder with the same material. Just a suggestion.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

93. Posted:

The pro controller is sweet! I like it a lot.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

nilcam

94. Posted:

I love the Pro Controller. It has the best D-pad of the current consoles. I hate the 360's d-pad and the PS3 is uncomfortable for long play sessions. The Pro also has better placement of the triggers than the PS3 pad. In a perfect world, there would be a Neo Geo pad for Wii U, especially if the Neo Geo VC games are ported over to Wii U.

For reference, I also really like the Wii's original classic controller.

nilcam

3DS Friend Code: 4081-6884-0112 | Nintendo Network ID: nilcam | Twitter: nilcam

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tainy

95. Posted:

The only legitimate complaints I've heard against the Pro Controller are a lack of analog triggers (true for the GamePad too), gyroscope, and mic input. Some games out there require analog triggers or a gyroscope to be playable. Without analog triggers at all, there's a chance some developers might not even consider translating their game to Wii U at all. Lack of analog triggers is also the reason I don't think we will get a GameCube Virtual Console on the Wii U. So many games used the analog capacity of the GameCube's triggers that doing a simple port is impossible. They'd have to rethink the way some of the games control, so I don't think they will even bother.

Edited on by Tainy

Tainy

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PloXyZeRO

96. Posted:

The pro controller has a great d-pad. That's basically fact, especially when compared to a PS3 controller..or even worse, and Xbox controller.

The fact that the pro controller has a screw-in battery cover is great. You don't have a big battery pack bulging out, plus you don't need to replace the RECHARGEABLE battery unless it malfunctions or loses charge after MANY, many years.

The pro controller is comfortable in my opinion, and I prefer it over any other controllers I have. In fact, I just ordered a bluetooth adapter today so I can use my pro controller for certain PC games like Castle Crashers! I used PS3/Xbox controllers before but they're just not as comfortable now that I have the pro controller. Adjusting to the analog sticks was weird at first but now I love it! I hated the triggers at first but I've learned to love those too...it's really easy to bash the triggers fast now. Not having analog isn't really a big deal to me but I can see why that's a problem.

My only complaint with the physical design of the pro controller are the L/R buttons. They seem a little bit hard to reach when your fingers are resting on ZL/ZR. That's about all. A mic jack and a gyro censor would be nice but I'm pretty much loving the controller just as it is now.

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter: ContraParadox

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PloXyZeRO

97. Posted:

The pro controller has a great d-pad. That's basically fact, especially when compared to a PS3 controller..or even worse, and Xbox controller.

The fact that the pro controller has a screw-in battery cover is great. You don't have a big battery pack bulging out, plus you don't need to replace the RECHARGEABLE battery unless it malfunctions or loses charge after MANY, many years.

The pro controller is comfortable in my opinion, and I prefer it over any other controllers I have. In fact, I just ordered a bluetooth adapter today so I can use my pro controller for certain PC games like Castle Crashers! I used PS3/Xbox controllers before but they're just not as comfortable now that I have the pro controller. Adjusting to the analog sticks was weird at first but now I love it! I hated the triggers at first but I've learned to love those too...it's really easy to bash the triggers fast now. Not having analog isn't really a big deal to me but I can see why that's a problem.

My only complaint with the physical design of the pro controller are the L/R buttons. They seem a little bit hard to reach when your fingers are resting on ZL/ZR. That's about all. A mic jack and a gyro censor would be nice but I'm pretty much loving the controller just as it is now.

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter: ContraParadox

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tripunktoj

98. Posted:

Hello everyone! So, I just got the Wii U Pro controller, I love how it looks and feels. Really pleased with the button distribution and performance after trying it, but when exploring the Wii U main menu, the home menu and some preloaded apps I found the rumble on the left handle shaking stronger than the right one. I don't know much about this, but I think the controller in this video has the rumble motor (only one) on the same handle I feel it stronger, it could be the reason behind it... or it could be part of the modifications its user made to it. Do you feel it the same or I got a faulty controller? It came with 2/4 battery bars, so could it be fixed after the first charge?

Also, this is the only video/image I found of a disassembled Pro controller, I'd really appreciate if anyone shared a different one.

Edited on by tripunktoj

...

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-6861 | Nintendo Network ID: tripunktoj | Twitter: tripunktoj

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PloXyZeRO

99. Posted:

I guess they really do have one motor!

Mine felt just about equal on both sides, but maybe that's because the vibration I experienced was so subtle it was hard to tell that one side is vibrating more than the other

So I guess your controller is functioning correctly after all!

Edited on by PloXyZeRO

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter: ContraParadox

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

100. Posted:

I didn't even notice it was more 'rumbly' on one side. The Xbox joystick replacement video seems kinda pointless to me, but I guess it's great for people who like the Xbox joystick so much.
I have the same problem with joysticks no matter whether it has the dip in it or not, but that's just because of the way I play with any controller.
The Pro controller is awesome for multiplayer games. I have 2 of them because my cousin and brother play Sonic Racing online with me.
Heck, my sister plays Tekken with me occasionally.
That game's way more amazing since they released the patch a month or so ago.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²