Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U Pro Controller discussion

Showing 61 to 80 of 143

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

61. Posted:

You guys are unbelievable. I got all sets of controllers here. I even posted a picture of a wobbly Pro D-pad. You saw how misaligned it is yet you refused that accept what is a fact. Are you blind or just plain in denial of what's real? I'm not sure now if you guys registered here really owned a Wii U. Even a blind man can see how wobbly it is. I cut & mod things as a hobby & very particular of design construction. I even used calipers to measure things. The D-pad works as intended but its design & construction is inferior compared to the other standard controllers. It's time to get this Nintendo fanboy grip out of your mind & face reality.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

62. Posted:

skywake wrote:

The way I see it there are three things that would have made the Pro Controller better.

  • Non-glossy finish
  • Analogue triggers
  • Headset input

Would have been nice with a stronger rumble feedback and some built in speakers as well IMO.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

63. Posted:

@Cheaptrick
Yeah it moves, so what? It works as intended and works better than other versions. I'd take the fact that the Nintendo D-Pad can look "wonky" if you manipulate in a certain way over the 360's circular crap in practice D-Pad that always "looks" the same because it's a circle.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

64. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

You guys are unbelievable. I got all sets of controllers here. I even posted a picture of a wobbly Pro D-pad. You saw how misaligned it is yet you refused that accept what is a fact. Are you blind or just plain in denial of what's real? I'm not sure now if you guys registered here really owned a Wii U. Even a blind man can see how wobbly it is. I cut & mod things as a hobby & very particular of design construction. I even used calipers to measure things. The D-pad works as intended but its design & construction is inferior compared to the other standard controllers.

I think what you're missing here is that some people does not consider the D-Pad being wobbly as a negative, myself included. I love it. It's the best D-Pad since the DS Lite (which has the best D-Pad thus far in gaming) IMO.

Feel free to express your opinion of it, but you shouldn't force it on other as a fact just because you don't like it.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

65. Posted:

You're trying to twist my statements. I said so many times that the Pro controller works as intended. My point is - compared with the other 2 controllers the Pro controller is inferior both in design & construction. It lacks analog triggers, audio inputs, etc.

I'm done here. It's useless to try to prove what's facts when you're talking to a brick wall.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

66. Posted:

I went outside to try out the SNES D-Pad and I take back what I said about the SNES D-Pad being the benchmark. Must have been nostalgia. It's pretty fantastic but I do prefer the more modern version of the D-Pad that Nintendo has made. The SNES D-Pad is a little bit stiff which isn't as great as what they've done with the Pro Controller. Pro Controller in terms of stiffness is somewhere between the SNES and DS Lite... which is a pretty happy middle ground.

So I don't know what the benchmark is....

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

67. Posted:

Microsoft stole the idea from the more superior Megadrive controller anyway ;)
Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

68. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

I'm done here. It's useless to try to prove what's facts when you're talking to a brick wall.

You proved that it's wobbly, that's a fact. You didn't prove that it's a negative aspect, that's subjective. I don't get why you feel as if your opinion should be seen as a fact?

Cheaptrick wrote:

You're trying to twist my statements.

I'm only talking about the D-Pad here, I'm not trying to say that it's the best controller ever made at all.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

69. Posted:

@MadAussieBloke
The first D-Pad I ever used was the one for the Master System
Untitled
I remember hating it and wanting to use the Joystick :)

19Robb92 wrote:

Would have been nice with a stronger rumble feedback and some built in speakers as well IMO.

eh, I think the Rumble is pretty good. Not that I've had that much of a chance to use it so far. Certainly better than the rumble in the WiiMote and GamePad. As for audio feedback that would have been nice but it's a bit of an extra, extra feature. Plus if you want audio feedback the GamePad is fantastic ;)

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

70. Posted:

Omg he's serious?! Lol! I rather the controller have an unnoticeable D-pad wobble then to have D-Pad that screws up inputs and is unreliable. I almost rage quit with the Injustice Demo. I tried playing with the Analog but then I can't input actions quick enough than I can with the D-Pad.

360 D-Pad is a joke. Though that D-Pad that you can twist was decent.
Untitled

Edited on by KaiserGX

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

71. Posted:

skywake wrote:

eh, I think the Rumble is pretty good. Not that I've had that much of a chance to use it so far. Certainly better than the rumble in the WiiMote and GamePad. As for audio feedback that would have been nice but it's a bit of an extra, extra feature. Plus if you want audio feedback the GamePad is fantastic ;)

Hmm.. I wonder if my Pro is faulty then. The rumble is pretty darn bad in mine. I only notice it when I'm 'looking for it'. Never actually feel it when I'm playing, unlike the GamePad and Wii remote.

Yeah, audio isn't an issue per say. But it would have been nice, I like the feedback it gives.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

72. Posted:

The rumble was strong when I tried out Need for Speed. With the Wii U Pro I mean. The Gamepad was less forceful but still enough to let you know it's rumbling. Your Pro MIGHT be faulty...

I rather they do a firmware update for blue tooth headsets. I don't want anything attached to the controller at all. Btw it really does give you 80 hours of play time and it only charges for 2 hours! I was surprised!

Edited on by KaiserGX

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

73. Posted:

KaiserGX wrote:

360 D-Pad is a joke. Though that D-Pad that you can twist was decent.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the 360 D-Pad, both Sony's & Nintendo's are a lot better IMO.

But IIRC Nintendo's patent on the 'classic D-Pad' expired last year, so we might see that D-Pad on the NextBox controller :)

KaiserGX wrote:

Btw it really does give you 80 hours of play time and it only charges for 2 hours! I was surprised!

Yeah, that's definitely the best thing about it. Love the battery life it has.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

74. Posted:

Yeah, Pro definitely has better rumble than the GamePad. GamePad almost makes more noise than rumble from my experience. Maybe there's a setting hidden somewhere you've accidentally altered?

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

75. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Maybe there's a setting hidden somewhere you've accidentally altered?

Oh, right. Forgot that there's a rumble setting :D Silly me. I'm going to try that out later.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

76. Posted:

Untitled
@Skywake is it weird to still have a collection of Amiga 500 joysticks? my favourite was the one in the middle with the cross pattern and large red & yellow arcade buttons and red quick fire one on top of the stick... Still clicks and works fine 25 years later ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

77. Posted:

That's an awesome collection :o

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

78. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

The Xbox 360 controller is still the best followed by the PS3 controller. For the next gen standard controller the PS4 controller I think is the best. The Wii U Pro controller has a typical Nintendo quality construction. It's made of ordinary plastic. The D-Pad is wobbly. There's no analog triggers. No headphone jack. The battery port cover is screwed in place (though this is not really a big problem hence the battery life will last very long). The controller buttons are not backlit. The 4 tiny indicator LEDs look bad. Button placement on the Xbox 360 controller is much better (if you get used to using Pro controller then this will not be a problem anymore). Overall, the Pro controller is the worst standard controller among the 3. It does the job though even if it's not the best.

This was my original post. My main talking point is about the Pro controller able to do the job but it's not the best in terms of quality of contruction. I presented some facts here that I proved thru testing different controllers. One particular negative finding I saw is the wobbly D-Pad. My main talking point was put out in context to discredit my point of view.

I also forgot to mention that Nintendo opted to changed the A & B button control scheme & chose the B button as the default back button instead of the rightmost A button which is a default back button on other controllers. The problem with this is that some 3rd party game developers when porting games to the Wii U will opt with the A button as the back button which is the default back button on other controllers. In the game NBA 2K13 for example the game developer (Visual Concept) who developed the game for 2K Sports opted for the familiar default control scheme found on other controllers instead that of the Wii U.

Another problem is the Analog sticks size. Nintendo opted for a smaller diameter Analog sticks rather going with the default Analog sticks size found on other controller. Increasing the length of the Analog sticks by adding extensions like Kontrol Freak will not be possible cuz the diameter is about 2 mm smaller. Kontrol Freak refused to market extensions on the Wii U cuz it doesn't think the Wii U is that profitable. Compatibility issue arised as the controller extension works on the other 2 controller but not on the Wii U controllers.

I can go on an on with some of the poor cosmetic & design construction of the Pro controller but I don't think it's that important. But please guys, don't deviate on my talking point & change the subject.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

79. Posted:

@Cheaptrick
And we discussed and dissected your argument and found it wanting. The "wobbly D-Pad" point in particular seemed odd given that there is a general consensus even amongst non-Nintendo gamers that the 360's D-Pad is by far the worst. Thus the topic has changed to something more interesting which gasp isn't centred around you. Get over it.

[edit]
and again button orientation? Surely you're trolling. Maybe you should just give up given how successful you've been here

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

80. Posted:

Yeah I know the pro controller is crappy mate that's why the whole idea of the WiiU is based around the next gen gamepad concept... No going back after using this little beauty I'm holding in my hot big hands typing this post while playing Monster Hunter ;)

MAB