Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U Not a Next-Gen Console?

Showing 61 to 80 of 152

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GoombaSlayer

61. Posted:

SKTTR wrote:

Wii U is ubernextgen for creativity and comfort, bringing together all kinds of controls.
After the reveal PS4 and XBox3 still have no offTV-touchscreen controller, but maybe in a few years or next gen

Well, both platforms has tablet-support and in addition to that Playstation Vita will work as a gamepad for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One has its Surface-connectivity. So not "maybe" in a few years or next-gen.. Right now. But not as a standard. Which problably, seeing how interest for Wii U has been, was a good idea.

GoombaSlayer

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

62. Posted:

banacheck wrote:

Fazermint wrote:

It's just a way of taking a quick jab at Nintendo. They can't say "X1/PS4 has better games", so they overemphasize the fact that their hardware is slightly stronger.

Sorry some of the games i'm playing now and that are coming to the PS4, you just cannot be found on the Wii U.

And when reading the posts someone living on a different planet.
.

Explain the relevance of this quote to the post at hand please. Then I will stop "RANTING".

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

63. Posted:

Varia01 wrote:

Whoa @turtlelink and @Captain_Balko, May you please calm down? I thought we were just expressing our opinions, no need to change other people's minds and make them think the same way you do. I thought the forum rules said to be kind and show respect. So may you two stop this and be kind and let discussing here be fun and without frustrations?

Sorry, I suppose things got out of hand. However, I tend to react that way when I see an argument that doesn't make sense. I can't help it.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Fazermint

64. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

banacheck wrote:

Fazermint wrote:

It's just a way of taking a quick jab at Nintendo. They can't say "X1/PS4 has better games", so they overemphasize the fact that their hardware is slightly stronger.

Sorry some of the games i'm playing now and that are coming to the PS4, you just cannot be found on the Wii U.

And when reading the posts someone living on a different planet.
.

Explain the relevance of this quote to the post at hand please. Then I will stop "RANTING".

Let me thank you for arguing for my case so valiantly while I was away :D

Fazermint

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

65. Posted:

banacheck wrote:

Fazermint wrote:

It's just a way of taking a quick jab at Nintendo. They can't say "X1/PS4 has better games", so they overemphasize the fact that their hardware is slightly stronger.

Sorry some of the games i'm playing now and that are coming to the PS4, you just cannot be found on the Wii U.

And when reading the posts someone living on a different planet.

SCAR392

I would hope the Wii did have better specs towards the PS2, seeing as the Wii came out in 2006. So why your comparing a 7 generation console (Wii, PS3, Xbox360) towards a 6 generation console (Xbox,GameCube,PlayStation 2,Dreamcast) god knows, if your saying the Wii was a generation behind your right but you wasn't, as the Wii was current generation. And no you cannot Skype on the Wii U, but it can MiiChat meaning the other person has to have a Wii U to use it. And no the Wii U's GPU doesn't come close to the PS4 GPU.

I don't really have any idea what you typed here. I read your post, and some of the words make sense, but the way they're being used don't really make sense.
I meant the Wii U can Skype, because it actually can. It doesn't have the Skype app, but it has the Wii U chat, which is basically Skype.
There's a difference between being able, and not being able to do something. I should have said 'is able'.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

k8sMum

66. Posted:

@scar: an honest question here: can the wii u communicate like skype with those who don't have a wii u?

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

67. Posted:

k8sMum wrote:

@scar: an honest question here: can the wii u communicate like skype with those who don't have a wii u?

Yes, it can. The difference is whether the Wii U has the Skype app. Anything with the Skype app can communicate with each other.

EDIT: It would be like 'Skyping' from an Android phone to a PC, or a Dell PC to a Lenova PC. Brand doesn't matter at all.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

k8sMum

68. Posted:

@scar: i am confused. you said the wii U doesn't have the skype app. do you mean it is available for the wii u?

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

69. Posted:

k8sMum wrote:

@scar: i am confused. you said the wii U doesn't have the skype app. do you mean it is available for the wii u?

If Wii U had the Skype app, it would be able to communicate with any other device with Skype.
The Wii U doesn't have the Skype app. It is able to, though.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

70. Posted:

turtlelink wrote:

Oh my gosh guys who the **** cares

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

doady

71. Posted:

PokeTune wrote:

Captain_Balko wrote:

PokeTune wrote:

It's not. End of discussion.

Somebody doesn't like to read the dictionary much, yes? I already had and completed this discussion before, and I don't feel like pulling out the definition. But according to logic and the basics of the English language, you are wrong. The Wii U is a next generation console, and that is a fact. If you don't like it, contact Merriam Webster Inc. and have a word with someone there. If they agree to change their definition, then you win and I'll send you an apology gift basket. If not, I'm expecting my gift basket in the mail.

Well, in terms of chronological order. Then yes Wii U is next-gen but in terms of hardware that's another story.

Hardware "generations" are always defined by performance vs. power consumption ratio.

For example, no one says that the AMD Radeon 6970 is the same generation as the Radeon 7850 just because they offer the same performance. The Radeon 7850 only consumes half the electricity of the 6970 and is therefore twice as efficient. They are different generations, by computer hardware standards.

Likewise, the Wii U, having superior performance while consuming less than one-fifth of the electricity of the original Xbox 360 and PS3, is next-gen console gaming hardware, end of story.

doady

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

72. Posted:

guys, the WiiU is NOT next-gen. it's still using hardware WORSE than PS3/360. it's NOT newer tech, it's current-gen. END OF STORY. now go drink lemonade or something.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

73. Posted:

0SP_ZELDAiii wrote:

guys, the WiiU is NOT next-gen. it's still using hardware WORSE than PS3/360. it's NOT newer tech, it's current-gen. END OF STORY. now go drink lemonade or something.

Are you kidding? Xbox 360 and PS3 can't even handle Need For Speed Most Wanted as well as the Wii U can.
The chip inside the Wii U is about 5 years newer than PS3's.
I don't get where you're getting the idea that Wii U is weaker than last gen consoles... That was the whole reason why I brought up the Wii. The Wii was stronger than the 6th gen consoles(GCN, PS2, Xbox), even if it was by a little bit, and there was motion controls on top of that.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Fazermint

74. Posted:

KAHN wrote:

guys, the WiiU is NOT next-gen. it's still using hardware WORSE than PS3/360. it's NOT newer tech, it's current-gen. END OF STORY. now go drink lemonade or something.

The consensus is that a console generation is defined by its temporal dimension and not hardware specs. When the X1 and PS4 arrive, they will be part of the same generation. If you can't provide stronger arguments than "go drink lemonade", I'm afraid you won't convince anyone.

Edit: Quoted the wrong guy :p

Edited on by Fazermint

Fazermint

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

75. Posted:

Fazermint wrote:

0SP_ZELDAiii wrote:

guys, the WiiU is NOT next-gen. it's still using hardware WORSE than PS3/360. it's NOT newer tech, it's current-gen. END OF STORY. now go drink lemonade or something.

The consensus is that a console generation is defined by its temporal dimension and not hardware specs. When the X1 and PS4 arrive, they will be part of the same generation. If you can't provide stronger arguments than "go drink lemonade", I'm afraid you won't convince anyone.

-"[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU," said Shishkovtsov (Metro: Last Light Dev)

-WiiU runs at 12.8 gigabytes per second. 360 runs at 22.4 gigabytes per second. PS3 runs at 25.6 gigabytes per second. therefor, WiiU's memory is WAY behind current-gen.
-WiiU's RAM is slow, CPU is weak
-wondering why people wont make games for WiiU? devs don't want to develop on WiiU BECAUSE it's not powerful enough.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Fazermint

76. Posted:

^ That's all fine and dandy, but that's not what we're talking about.

Fazermint

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

77. Posted:

KAHN wrote:

-WiiU runs at 12.8 gigabytes per second. 360 runs at 22.4 gigabytes per second. PS3 runs at 25.6 gigabytes per second. therefor, WiiU's memory is WAY behind current-gen.

this is the closest to factual you've gotten, and I looked it up and found something quite intelligent on the matter.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/17/wiiu-memory-story/

tl;dr version, your understanding of gaming technology is more shallow than a puddle

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

78. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

KAHN wrote:

-WiiU runs at 12.8 gigabytes per second. 360 runs at 22.4 gigabytes per second. PS3 runs at 25.6 gigabytes per second. therefor, WiiU's memory is WAY behind current-gen.

this is the closest to factual you've gotten, and I looked it up and found something quite intelligent on the matter.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/17/wiiu-memory-story/

tl;dr version, your understanding of gaming technology is more shallow than a puddle

It's pretty hilarious. I was just on that site to explain how the guy's wrong.

The Wii U is better than Xbox 360 and PS3 specs wise. It's fact.
The difference is changing the process of execution and the order of which those executions are performed.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

79. Posted:

KAHN wrote:

guys, the WiiU is NOT next-gen. it's still using hardware WORSE than PS3/360. it's NOT newer tech, it's current-gen. END OF STORY. now go drink lemonade or something.

In this day and age, I don't consider graphical power to be the leading factor or what determins a console to be 'next gen'. I'd say at this point innovation(based on controller hardware) is far more important, hell the Wii felt far more Nextgen than either the XBOX 360 or PS4 with it's use of brilliant pointer/motion controls when done right.

But people were too busy foaming at the mouth of the graphical power and HD graphics of the two other twin consoles. I was at first, but you get used to it...And what you're left with were the exact same experiences you got on the PS2/XBOX with a new lick of shiny HD paint. hardly exciting at all. Even more so NOW, since graphics seem to be almost hitting a mute point....Nintendo's popular cartoony franchises are going to hit 'that' mute point a lot sooner dude! :p

I'm perfectly fine with how these Wii U games look, SSB U, mario Kart 8, DKCR tropical freeze and Wind Waker U look outstanding. :D
Untitled
I mean seriously, you're not impressed by this?

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

80. Posted:

@Wavebro Nah man that pic should be first-person with a gun protruding from the bottom right of the screen to be considered next gen in the eyes of a PSBOX fanboy ;)

Untitled

MAB