Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U Not a Next-Gen Console?

Showing 1 to 20 of 152

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pntjr

1. Posted:

As seen multiple timeare not bringing thier new game to the Wii U, because they say they are developing the game for current-gen and next gen consoles, which is the PS3, 360, PS4, and the X1. After several games said this, I was wondering, is the Wii U a next gen console? People always say THE WII U IS NOT A NEXT GEN CONSOLE! But what I don't understand is that there was a cetrain amount of checkboxes you need to have to be a next gen console, like it's some sort of award. But personally, I think it is, because it's in the next generation of consoles, that's how the word works. Even if the graphics are on the same level or a bit more advanced with the PS3 and 360, it's not like the graphics and GPU are SO MUCH WORSE, like what happened with the Wii.

I wanted things to be different this time around, which is why I got a Wii U. Perhaps the reason why third parties haven't been developing for the Wii U is because the Wii U hasn't been selling well, because I hope that's true. If it is because they say that the Wii U is "not a next-gen console" or "not a current gen console" then that is rediculous. People always say THE GAMES ON THIS PLATFORM LOOK JUST LIKE THE XBOX 360, LIKE BLOPS2. Have you seen the Xbox 360's launch games? They look like crap to what the Xbox 360 can do now. This means that the Wii U can only do better. I'm not saying the Wii U will eventually be on the PS4, and X1, but I mean COME ON.

If things keep going like this, I don't know what lies in Nintendo's future. This isn't meant to be a "doom and gloom thread" for the "Fall of Nintendo" but what's going to happen next to Nintendo if third parties like EA or 2K sports or even Ubisoft (as they are slowly leaving the Wii U as well) eventually leave the Wii U. In my eyes, the Wii U, is in fact a next-gen console.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

2. Posted:

This has been discussed before in another (or probably multiple, but I know of one for certain) thread, and we have determined that by the basic definition of the word "Generation" the Wii U is considered "Next Gen". Period. End of story. The end. Forever.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAN1AC

3. Posted:

If you're defining next gen by when it was released in relation to other consoles, then yes.
But if you're determining what next gen means by looking at what the Wii U offers compared to the PS4 and Xbone, then no its not.

Edited on by MAN1AC

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

4. Posted:

I just got a junk email from EB Games about E3 and at the bottom it had "Don't miss these newly announced next-gen games!". In that list it had a bunch of games that are coming to the PS4/XBone and had the box for what platforms it was headed to. It didn't have any Nintendo games but it showed the Wii U box for games that were also headed to the Wii U....... but they didn't show the 360/PS3 box (they just said "also coming to 360/PS3")

So if you think the Australian version of Gamestop has any say in what's "next-gen" then they say the Wii U is "next-gen". Not that it should really matter at all to anyone.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PokeTune

5. Posted:

It's not. End of discussion.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SRankSaturdays/feed
Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX
Xbox Gamertag: DarkGameMasterX

Awaiting:

Kingdom Hearts 3
Halo:Master Chief Collection
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Mirror's Edge 2
Destiny
Smash Bros.Wii U & 3DS
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

6. Posted:

"next gen" is a meaningless term

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

7. Posted:

PokeTune wrote:

It's not. End of discussion.

Somebody doesn't like to read the dictionary much, yes? I already had and completed this discussion before, and I don't feel like pulling out the definition. But according to logic and the basics of the English language, you are wrong. The Wii U is a next generation console, and that is a fact. If you don't like it, contact Merriam Webster Inc. and have a word with someone there. If they agree to change their definition, then you win and I'll send you an apology gift basket. If not, I'm expecting my gift basket in the mail.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PokeTune

8. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

PokeTune wrote:

It's not. End of discussion.

Somebody doesn't like to read the dictionary much, yes? I already had and completed this discussion before, and I don't feel like pulling out the definition. But according to logic and the basics of the English language, you are wrong. The Wii U is a next generation console, and that is a fact. If you don't like it, contact Merriam Webster Inc. and have a word with someone there. If they agree to change their definition, then you win and I'll send you an apology gift basket. If not, I'm expecting my gift basket in the mail.

Well, in terms of chronological order. Then yes Wii U is next-gen but in terms of hardware that's another story.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SRankSaturdays/feed
Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX
Xbox Gamertag: DarkGameMasterX

Awaiting:

Kingdom Hearts 3
Halo:Master Chief Collection
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Mirror's Edge 2
Destiny
Smash Bros.Wii U & 3DS
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

9. Posted:

Gamepad is next gen controller hardware ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

10. Posted:

PokeTune wrote:

Captain_Balko wrote:

PokeTune wrote:

It's not. End of discussion.

Somebody doesn't like to read the dictionary much, yes? I already had and completed this discussion before, and I don't feel like pulling out the definition. But according to logic and the basics of the English language, you are wrong. The Wii U is a next generation console, and that is a fact. If you don't like it, contact Merriam Webster Inc. and have a word with someone there. If they agree to change their definition, then you win and I'll send you an apology gift basket. If not, I'm expecting my gift basket in the mail.

Well, in terms of chronological order. Then yes Wii U is next-gen but in terms of hardware that's another story.

Hardware has absolutely nothing to do with something being Next Generation. If the Wii U had Super NES specs it would still technically be considered Next Generation. I'm not going to argue with you about specs, because I don't know enough, but I know enough about English to tell you that Wii U IS UNDOUBTEDLY Next Generation. I could find some sources for you if you asked (the definition, namely) but I'm sure you have a dictionary in your house, or better yet, internet. So kindly get my gift basket ready. And don't cheap out, either. I want some nice quality stuff in there.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Midnight3DS

11. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

"next gen" is a meaningless term

Yep. Minutia at it's finest.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

12. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

"next gen" is a meaningless term

It's not "meaningless". It means "the next in a sequence of technology" or something to that effect, I'm paraphrasing from an online definition. It has meaning, people just tend to ignore the meaning.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

13. Posted:

Why play video games when we can be paranoid about a title instead?

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Klimbatize

14. Posted:

It is next gen. But not all machines in the same generation are created equally.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

15. Posted:

MAN1AC wrote:

If you're defining next gen by when it was released in relation to other consoles, then yes.
But if you're determining what next gen means by looking at what the Wii U offers compared to the PS4 and Xbone, then no its not.

By all accounts then, PS4/XB1 aren't next-gen either compared to PC.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ganondwarf

16. Posted:

You need to release Nintendo consoles will never get third party support even if Nintendo make the strongest console and the reason is because Nintendo games are just to damn good for third party to compete Nintendo knows it and obviously third party developers know it as well and the graphics this time round aren't much different at all! developers are just lazy and don't utilize the hardware maybe Monolith Soft should give them a tip or two......

Ganondwarf

Nintendo Network ID: Forbsz

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

17. Posted:

People let the littlest things bother them.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAN1AC

18. Posted:

Discostew wrote:

MAN1AC wrote:

If you're defining next gen by when it was released in relation to other consoles, then yes.
But if you're determining what next gen means by looking at what the Wii U offers compared to the PS4 and Xbone, then no its not.

By all accounts then, PS4/XB1 aren't next-gen either compared to PC.

We're obviously talking gaming consoles.
Good try though.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

19. Posted:

The_Fox wrote:

People let the littlest things bother them.

The gaming community reminds me of first grade.

Tantrums, whining, ignorance, yeah!

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAN1AC

20. Posted:

The_Fox wrote:

People let the littlest things bother them.

This.
As long as you enjoy the games and experience on the console then it really shouldn't matter.

Edited on by MAN1AC

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64