Forums

Topic: Wii U is safe from the NX!? Seems to be true

Posts 201 to 220 of 582

Araquanid

I honestly don't care what console the game is on. Yes, I would totally love a prime 4 for the wii u. Yes, I would've liked graphics that lived up to the other primes, but no.. I do not hate this game for being a spin off. If both, this and prime 4 were released at the same time on their respective consoles, I wouldn't buy one and not the other.. I'd buy and look forward to both.

"You know you want a real metroid experience"

I think we really need to emphasize on what exactly this whole, "metroid experience" slang even is..

Are we looking for isolation? Well, technically the only games that actually had a theme of isolation.. were the first two primes, and first three regular metroids. Prime hunters, corruption, fusion, other M, etc all didn't have isolation in the experience to begin with due to the fact that samus is surrounded by other hunters, is leading the GF, has contact with the GF in fusion (the GF were on their way to contain the parasite, meaning samus still had communication with them although she recieve orders via computer), or is being lead by the galactic federation.

First person shooter? We got it, it controls like metroid.. it looks like metroid.. ironically, during the NWC, people were arguing how much blast ball looked very "metroidy". Then suddenly, when it is revealed to tie into metroid, it isn't metroidy? Talk about two facing the game..

2D? So it's not a 2D game, but obviously a prime game wouldn't be 2D anyway. Moving on.

Have good graphics? Can we go back to the times of zelda wind waker? Also graphics never influenced the experience of a game. Sure they're god awful for this day in age.. but I can forgive that when I won't even be focusing on seeing the enemies, but instead shooting them from far when textures are hardly visible to begin with.. (also again, it can be patched up like SFZ already was)

So... what exactly are we looking for in a metroid experience?

Running around, shooting things, and solving puzzles.. if there are puzzles in MPFF, idk.. nobody does, and I can't exactly call any of the 2D games having puzzles, but instead backtracking to previously unaccessible areas... but so far, yes, it looks like a metroid experience to me, and I AM looking forward to this game.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

UGXwolf

rallydefault wrote:

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Reggie strongly teased the standard New 3DS coming to NA so it seems that the 3DS is the console that's safe from the NX, not the Wii U.
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-teases-regular-new-3ds-f...

Because obviously when they released the DSiXL in 2010, the GBA SP in 2003, the GBA Micro in 2005, and the Wii Mini in 2012? That was just total confirmation that those platforms had another five years in them

Man, you are grasping, hard core. Those were versions of the prexisting hardware. The NX is their next console, not a version of one. Reggie is calling NX their "next system," which, as we all love to be incredibly nit-picky, COULD mean a "version" like one of those you listed above.

However, the damning evidence is Iwata's reference to NX as a "new concept," which, under all but the most stubborn of perspectives, signals a new tack. To use your examples, the DSiXL was not a "new concept" on the DS. The GBA SP was not a "new concept" on the GBA. The GBA Micro was not a "new concept" on the GBA. The Wii Mini was not a "new concept" on the Wii. Those were all just 2.0 (and 3.0, er..3.5 for the GBA sort of) versions of the same hardware. Just like the New 3DS.

No new concepts. No change of direction. Just tweaks to the hardware. That's not what the NX is. Just accept it, and go have yourself a nice ice cream cone or something.

This comment represents the main concept of Skywake's post.

You completely missed it, man. Analogies are apparently completely lost on you. Look at the comment prior to Skywake's. Now re-read Skywake's post. Do you see it, now? He was drawing a comparison to the New 3DS and other late iterations of Nintendo handhelds, not those iterations and the NX. He was pointing out that late iterations of handhelds do happen and that they don't do anythig to reassure any kind of longevity for a pre-existing piece of hardware.

This comment represents your head.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Sleepingmudkip

I am in the minority but I would much rather see a full Metroid game on the NX anyway because I assume its going to be much more powerful then the Wii U so the game will look and run better plus the system looks like it is coming later 2016 or 2017 and i dont want to see a rushed metroid game on the Wii U

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Blast

MegaBeedrill wrote:

I honestly don't care what console the game is on. Yes, I would totally love a prime 4 for the wii u. Yes, I would've liked graphics that lived up to the other primes, but no.. I do not hate this game for being a spin off. If both, this and prime 4 were released at the same time on their respective consoles, I wouldn't buy one and not the other.. I'd buy and look forward to both.

"You know you want a real metroid experience"

I think we really need to emphasize on what exactly this whole, "metroid experience" slang even is..

Are we looking for isolation? Well, technically the only games that actually had a theme of isolation.. were the first two primes, and first three regular metroids. Prime hunters, corruption, fusion, other M, etc all didn't have isolation in the experience to begin with due to the fact that samus is surrounded by other hunters, is leading the GF, has contact with the GF in fusion (the GF were on their way to contain the parasite, meaning samus still had communication with them although she recieve orders via computer), or is being lead by the galactic federation.

First person shooter? We got it, it controls like metroid.. it looks like metroid.. ironically, during the NWC, people were arguing how much blast ball looked very "metroidy". Then suddenly, when it is revealed to tie into metroid, it isn't metroidy? Talk about two facing the game..

2D? So it's not a 2D game, but obviously a prime game wouldn't be 2D anyway. Moving on.

Have good graphics? Can we go back to the times of zelda wind waker? Also graphics never influenced the experience of a game. Sure they're god awful for this day in age.. but I can forgive that when I won't even be focusing on seeing the enemies, but instead shooting them from far when textures are hardly visible to begin with.. (also again, it can be patched up like SFZ already was)

So... what exactly are we looking for in a metroid experience?

Running around, shooting things, and solving puzzles.. if there are puzzles in MPFF, idk.. nobody does, and I can't exactly call any of the 2D games having puzzles, but instead backtracking to previously unaccessible areas... but so far, yes, it looks like a metroid experience to me, and I AM looking forward to this game.

I honestly believe most people wanted a 2D Metroid game on 3DS like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 4 on Wii U. That's what most people was hoping for before the Digital Event happened. That would've been pure gold. But no... Instead we get Federation Force... I mean, it could turn out actually fun but seriously... How in the world did Nintendo think this game wasn't gonna cause an uproar???? Are people going too far? Agreed! But they have the right to be angry.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Blast

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

I am in the minority but I would much rather see a full Metroid game on the NX anyway because I assume its going to be much more powerful then the Wii U so the game will look and run better plus the system looks like it is coming later 2016 or 2017 and i dont want to see a rushed metroid game on the Wii U

It would greatly soften the blow if Metroid Prime 4 was a launch title on NX.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

capnstubing

Aromaiden wrote:

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

It can be a good game. However, it can never be a good Metroid game. It is Starfox Adventures all over again,

Nonetheless it will help expand and add more depth and character to the Metroid Universe. Even if it isn't a Metroid game for the main series.

Realistically how much can this game expand and deepen the story of Metroid. The Metroid series isn't known for it's deep, impactful storytelling, but instead it is known for it's atmosphere and gameplay which are tied in directly to being alone. Suffice if to say, it's a tad difficult to "be alone' in a 4-player co-op game. A spin-off is intended to inject new life into a franchise, so that the series doesn't stagnate. Making a spin-off for a series that has been mired in stagnation for 5 years is a problem. Especially when that series celebrates it's 30th birthday in 2016. I guess Samus is getting a nice vacation for her B-Day!

Mini, off-topic rant aside. I'm not sure this E3 presentation or name dropping the NX is indicative of the Wii U suddenly being dropped like a bad habit. At this point, the most loyal Nintendo customers are Wii U owners and they can't be stupid enough to spurn them by cutting support early. Though I will say that I do feel, as of late, like I am a guinea pig that Nintendo is trying to experiment on. E.g. AC Amiibo Festival

capnstubing

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

Tanabe is not the be-all end-all. Unless Nintendo already has dev kits handed out to all their studios for a brand new home console, I doubt he actually knows all that much about the NX, seeing as Nintendo reportedly likes to keep things rather compartmentalized. Tanabe isn't a Nintendo bigshot. He only oversees the Metroid Prime series. Not even Metroid as a whole. Just the Prime series which isn't even half of the franchise. There's nothing stopping anyone else from making another Metroid, and nothing is stopping that from being a 3D Metroid, which could also potentially be an FPS or it could be a 2.5 D Platforming adventure. Or hell, something else. I don't know. Nintendo has a knack for doing the unexpected and making it great.

Why would they bother throwing everything Tanabe came up with out the window? If they wanted to make a 3D Metroid, it'd be convenient to just make what Tanabe wanted. Or if they don't want to make a Prime game, at least work with Tanabe to incorporate his ideas in some other way.

@MegaBeedrill This is what I want to see in a proper Metroid Prime game:
-Metroidvania gameplay. It needs to have open exploration that progresses based on collecting new abilities.
-Iconic abilities. When you think Metroid, what kinds of character abilities come to mind? Probably stuff like the Morph Ball, Missiles, beam weapons, Screw Attack, etc. The game needs a mix of Chozo and Federation technology (as well as technology native to whatever planet you're exploring).
-Fairly minimal plot, but with more details via scanning. Ideally something at the level of Prime 2, enough cutscenes that you understand what your purpose is but not so much that it ruins the feeling of isolation.

As far as Federation Force goes, they don't need to do all of that, they could make it their own thing and it could still be good. But there are a couple of changes they need to make to the formula for it to work:

-The mission setup is good, but instead of having the levels resemble short multiplayer maps, they should be open A to B style levels where you progress forward to complete the mission but there's room to branch out and explore.
-More abilities all around. Add in more than 5 abilities, make it so players can hold more than one (at least 2 or 3), and make some more interesting abilities. It's not as fun if you're limited to a handful of abilities. As for what kinds of abilities to add, maybe some different types of weaponry (some type of grenades), the Grapple Lasso (or something similar), maybe a jetpack of some sort? Also if it's set before Prime 3, throw in some PED technology.
-Since this is a 4v4 co-op shooter why not go the obvious route and add a deathmatch mode?

EDIT: Oh, and please change the chibi artstyle, it looks horrible and doesn't fit anything in the Metroid universe. Not even this.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

-Green-

capnstubing wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

It can be a good game. However, it can never be a good Metroid game. It is Starfox Adventures all over again,

Nonetheless it will help expand and add more depth and character to the Metroid Universe. Even if it isn't a Metroid game for the main series.

Realistically how much can this game expand and deepen the story of Metroid. The Metroid series isn't known for it's deep, impactful storytelling, but instead it is known for it's atmosphere and gameplay which are tied in directly to being alone. Suffice if to say, it's a tad difficult to "be alone' in a 4-player co-op game. A spin-off is intended to inject new life into a franchise, so that the series doesn't stagnate. Making a spin-off for a series that has been mired in stagnation for 5 years is a problem. Especially when that series celebrates it's 30th birthday in 2016. I guess Samus is getting a nice vacation for her B-Day!

Mini, off-topic rant aside. I'm not sure this E3 presentation or name dropping the NX is indicative of the Wii U suddenly being dropped like a bad habit. At this point, the most loyal Nintendo customers are Wii U owners and they can't be stupid enough to spurn them by cutting support early. Though I will say that I do feel, as of late, like I am a guinea pig that Nintendo is trying to experiment on. E.g. AC Amiibo Festival

I honestly do not know how exactly they plan on expanding the game's World, although it has been stated, that the game is meant to characterize and explain the GF in order to lead into future events in future games. There is no harm in adding a tad bit of more depth to an otherwise unknown world.

In all honesty though, the game is a spin-off. It won't function entirely like the original and in this case, isn't trying to. The game has never really portrayed itself as all other Metroid games, and isn't following the average Metroid themes. MPFF has never really aimed for the main theme of isolation that other Metroid games have (at least based on what is known). In reality it would seem counter productive to the game's focus on team-work, due to you playing the role of the GF.

The fact of the matter is that MPFF is a different take on the Metroid series, but is looked down upon for steering away from the normal layout of the Metroid series.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

PaperMario64

I think we can all agree that we would rather have a new Metroid Prime on the Wii U, then a spin-off on the 3DS...

Edited on by PaperMario64

PaperMario64

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Man, you are grasping, hard core. Those were versions of the prexisting hardware. The NX is their next console, not a version of one. Reggie is calling NX their "next system," which, as we all love to be incredibly nit-picky, COULD mean a "version" like one of those you listed above.

However, the damning evidence is Iwata's reference to NX as a "new concept," which, under all but the most stubborn of perspectives, signals a new tack. To use your examples, the DSiXL was not a "new concept" on the DS. The GBA SP was not a "new concept" on the GBA. The GBA Micro was not a "new concept" on the GBA. The Wii Mini was not a "new concept" on the Wii. Those were all just 2.0 (and 3.0, er..3.5 for the GBA sort of) versions of the same hardware. Just like the New 3DS.

No new concepts. No change of direction. Just tweaks to the hardware. That's not what the NX is. Just accept it, and go have yourself a nice ice cream cone or something.

Oh for sure, the New 3DS isn't the massive revision to the 3DS line. It's a slight revision along the same lines as the GBC, DSi and GBA SP before it. So I'm glad that you agree with me in saying that the existence of the New 3DS isn't "proof" that the NX can't possibly be a handheld. I'm glad that you've turned around on this one.

Also ice-cream? What a Northern Hemisphere centric view of the world. Now that's something I can't agree with. It's 10 degrees outside and you're talking about ice-cream? Madness.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

martinskrtel37

Surely people understand why they're expanding the "Metroid Universe" though right? It's because kids these days have no idea what Metroid is, I mean outside people telling them about an old game, and seeing her in Smash and the like. Also, there isn't even a team, they put together a new team to make these new games. Y'all would've been mad if they just jumped like noobs into Prime 4 and it wasn't good. They can't just put an AAA title out like that.

So it makes total sense for them to let kids know that Metroid is another Nintendo franchise, it has a universe, they should delve into it, because there's probably a full-fledged Metroid adventure coming for them on the NX.

Edited on by Jazzer94

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

PaperMario64

martinskrtel37 wrote:

Surely people understand why they're expanding the "Metroid Universe" though right? It's because kids these days have no idea what Metroid is, I mean outside people telling them about an old game, and seeing her in Smash and the like. Also, there isn't even a team, they put together a new team to make these new games. Y'all would've been mad if they just jumped like noobs into Prime 4 and it wasn't good. They can't just put an AAA title out like that.

So it makes total sense for them to let kids know that Metroid is another Nintendo franchise, it has a universe, they should delve into it, because there's probably a full-fledged Metroid adventure coming for them on the NX.

Yeah, because video games are really hard these days...

Edited on by Jazzer94

PaperMario64

GTWarrior77

martinskrtel37 wrote:

Surely people understand why they're expanding the "Metroid Universe" though right? It's because kids these days have no idea what Metroid is, I mean outside people telling them about an old game, and seeing her in Smash and the like. ....

I agree that Nintendo needs to create more awareness for their products in general, but surely Nintendo could've had the foresight to start expanding the "Metroid Universe" years ago to solve the awareness issue. Heck, they could've done that on previous consoles. Your argument does reveal one important thing though, that Nintendo's marketing strategies, or rather the lack thereof, are to blame imo.

"As a man thinketh, so he is"
WiiU NNID: GTKing77

Sean_Aaron

Well I can accept that the NX is likely a replacement for Wii U, however that doesn't mean they're switching off the servers tomorrow. The idea that users should walk away from the platform is just silly. And E3 - seriously? I mean Nintendo downgraded their involvement in that show YEARS AGO people, why on earth would you take what was shown there as definitive in terms of upcoming games for the Wii U? Such drama over very little...

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

rallydefault

UGXwolf wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Reggie strongly teased the standard New 3DS coming to NA so it seems that the 3DS is the console that's safe from the NX, not the Wii U.
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-teases-regular-new-3ds-f...

Because obviously when they released the DSiXL in 2010, the GBA SP in 2003, the GBA Micro in 2005, and the Wii Mini in 2012? That was just total confirmation that those platforms had another five years in them

This comment represents the main concept of Skywake's post.

You completely missed it, man. Analogies are apparently completely lost on you. Look at the comment prior to Skywake's. Now re-read Skywake's post. Do you see it, now? He was drawing a comparison to the New 3DS and other late iterations of Nintendo handhelds, not those iterations and the NX. He was pointing out that late iterations of handhelds do happen and that they don't do anythig to reassure any kind of longevity for a pre-existing piece of hardware.

This comment represents your head.

Lol I love that last bit. Sorry, but I think I hit the nail right on the... should I say it? Head! Oh!

@skywake
You know, I actually agree with you on a great many things. I never said on this forum that the NX wasn't going to be a handheld. In fact, I never said that anywhere. It can be a home console or a handheld, but it's going to replace the Wii U no matter what. In that case, if it's another handheld, it would be Nintendo going all-out toward the mobile market, which would make sense given its Japanese roots.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

erv

The NX is going to be a nintendo controller for your iphone, ipad and the new appletv box. Then, everybody starts crying manly tears

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

spizzamarozzi

Blast wrote:

Hopefully Retro Studios will finally reveal their Wii U game in 2016. Most likely its a new IP and it will be shown in the January 2016 Direct. But yeah... its very dumb that the Wii U isn't getting a Metroid game at all. Even more dumb this Metroid spinoff happened. Nobody asked for that. Its really bizarre how Nintendo didn't have a Metroid in the works a long time ago. VERY bizarre....

yeah that's the point, Metroid has been, undoubtedly, one of the staples of their home consoles for the last decade, and definitely their most requested series that doesn't necessarily have to appeal to the younger audience aswell.
I'm not reacting to the fact that it'll take three years now, but wondering why they didn't start anything during the past five years.
Well, hopefully they hear people's complaints and try to patch things up one way or another. If it takes 3 years to make a Prime, it'll take one year or one and a half to make a good 2D Metroid. So here's hopin for Metroid Fusion 2 or something like that, possibly with a double release WiiU/3DS (a-la MvsDK Tippin' Stars) so they can maximize the profit. Doesn't sound like an impossible task if they want to.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Sorry, but I think I hit the nail right on the... should I say it? Head! Oh!

Umm, I don't think you get it. Maybe you should read the bit you quoted. Twice. Maybe then you'll kinda get what I was actually saying. But just to repeat it for the... fourth time? Fifth? I've lost count at this point.....

I wasn't saying that the NX would be a minor revision. I think it is damn clear that whatever this thing is it will replace either the 3DS or Wii U. Maybe both (probably not both). That wasn't my point or infact anything to do with either my post or the post I was responding to. All I was saying is that we can't rule out something that replaces the 3DS just because the New 3DS exists. Even if they release the non-XL New 3DS in the US in a year that means nothing. Because the New 3DS is a minor revision, they've released plenty of brand new platforms soon after minor revisions. They've even released some minor revisions AFTER the release of a brand new platform. I even listed some of them which you then went and re-listed making it even more weird that you didn't seem to understand what I was saying.

I mean if people want to argue that the Wii U was shafted at E3? Well there's a case to be made there. 2016 and beyond for the Wii U is not looking fantastic and I'd agree. But if the Wii U was shafted then the New 3DS was entirely absent. There were 3DS titles at E3, quite a few infact. None of them were New 3DS exclusive. The New 3DS is a nice revision and it is the 3DS worth getting if you're in the market for a 3DS. But it's more DSi than Gameboy Color and there aren't any signs of that changing.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

UGXwolf

PaperMario64 wrote:

I think we can all agree that we would rather have a new Metroid Prime on the Wii U, then a spin-off on the 3DS...

Aside from the obvious fact that Federation Force isn't stopping Prime 4 from existing, no, actually. I rather like the idea of a multiplayer co-op shooter I can play with my friends.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

jump

UGXwolf wrote:

PaperMario64 wrote:

Aside from the obvious fact that Federation Force isn't stopping Prime 4 from existing, no, actually. I rather like the idea of a multiplayer co-op shooter I can play with my friends.

Not necessarily, Federation Force flops so Ninty decides Metroid Prime isn't in demand and don't bother with another game for awhile/reboot it Other M style. Your also working on the basis a home console version wouldn't have multiplayer options which might be unlikely since Ninty has been investing into it recently and even Federation Force was considered for the Wii U at one point but decided it was too much effort.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.