Forums

Topic: Wii U is better than people think

Posts 181 to 200 of 242

Darknyht

I will say this, we finally got around to upgrading our 27" television to a 40" this year due to a Black Friday sale. The Wii U really looks nice with a true 1080p television (not to mention being big enough to see). I've been like a kid in the toy store seeing all the details I've been missing in games.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

RenderSpotlight

What is going on with the Wii U eShop?
I have noticed a disturbing trend. I was searching for some games and I see more and more games are becoming "Software currently unavailable". Try searching for Gear Gauntlet, Forma.8, Pier Solar, EarthLock, The Cave, KEYTARI: 8-bit Music Maker, Pixel Paint, Turtle Tale, and it might even appear that Hulu is not available anymore for easy download.
These are just the games that I have noticed. But it seems like the Wii U is losing games that historically were available for download.
Some games may have jumped to the Swtich already, but others seems to have just stopped being able to be purchased. Not sure why they would need to be removed from the Wii U eShop. These digital games might not be as permanent than I assumed.

RenderSpotlight

Darknyht

@Hikingguy The Cave was removed from the eShop a while ago. It disappeared back in March 2018 according to a site that tracks it. it may be that Sega (who published the game on consoles) didn't renew their contract.

Earthlock appears to have been delisted around the same time because the publisher couldn't update that version any further.

The developer of Turtle Tale publicly tweeted that all their games would be removed in Sept. from all Nintendo consoles, but wouldn't offer a public statement as to why.

The others you mentioned are not on the site yet, so either may be new or no one updates the console anymore. There are also a lot of licensed games that have disappeared from the system too.

Darknyht

RenderSpotlight

@Darknyht I am sure there are more, but these are the ones that I am aware of. I guess shame on me for thinking that eShop games would have a higher likelihood of being available longer than games on cartridge. I thought most games would just be there until the online store shut down.
I wanted to buy Pier Solar on the Wii U and then one day it was gone. This would be a bummer for people getting to the Wii U later.
What site do you find that info?

RenderSpotlight

RenderSpotlight

@Darknyht Thank you very much. That is quite interesting. I understood that online games at some point would no longer be supported for online play, like Warhawk. But I had thought that games, especially offline games, would always be in the eShop as long as the eShop was active. I guess I was mistaken.
Now I wish I would have bought Pier Solar sooner.

RenderSpotlight

Darknyht

@Hikingguy It still appears to be available on Steam if you are able and willing to play on PC/Mac/Linux. It does appear to have been even removed from the Nintendo.com game listings, although the current website still lists Wii U as a system it is sold on.

Darknyht

bougti

I liked the WiiU too, but can we at least give the switch a week or two before declaring it worse than the Wii U or any other console for that matter?

Full disclosure, even though I liked the Wii U, it made it impossible for me to complete my life's mission of becoming a one console home. The Switch looks to continue that trend, sadly.

bougti

Sakura7

I love the wii u. Game are currently selling ALL second hand wii u games at half price. And I'm picking up the KEMCO RPG's in the current eshop sale.

Sakura7

1UP_MARIO

@Sakura7 best time to pick up Wii u games.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Sakura7

@1UP_MARIO Got Zelda BotW for £15 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for £6.50!

Sakura7

Grumblevolcano

@subpopz I think it was more about that if you don't care about Microsoft and Sony exclusives, a Nintendo console with fantastic 3rd party support and VC would allow you to only need 1 console. Wii U had one of those (fantastic VC) and Switch currently has neither.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheAwesomeBowser

subpopz wrote:

Was the Wii U better than people think? No, I don't believe so. Slow, clunky, gimmicky and lacking compared to it's competitors.

@subpopz This is a thread made for Wii U fans. Get outta here.

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

TheAwesomeBowser

@the_shpydar But it's true. The Wii U really is a good console. (NOT SARCASM)

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

SharkAttackU

Honestly, of Splatoon 1 had Salmon Run, i wouldnt need a Switch at all. I have BotW for both, beat it first on Wii U. I like SM3DW way better than Odyssey. Have MK8 for both.

I still have a large Wii U backlog.

SharkAttackU

Darknyht

SharkAttackU wrote:

Honestly, of Splatoon 1 had Salmon Run, i wouldnt need a Switch at all.

Having only picked up Splatoon a month ago, I agree. I will be very sad when the online community dies out for Splatoon on Wii U as I am having a lot more fun with it than I thought I would.

Darknyht

puNINTENDed

In my eyes the console itself wasn't bad. It had some really cool features. The touchpad was great. Playing with the TV off was great. Much less the console but Nintendo itself in the Wii U era. They made many bad moves to get back those casual gamers back from the Wii.

They made too many mediocre party games which had too many luck based mechanics and no strategy. Amiibo Festival of course being the worst of the bunch. I know a lot of people hated the shovelware on the Wii and these honestly felt like those games.

I think the linear mario games had well made levels but really didn't bring any new exotic thing to the table. They weren't awful games but what we really wanted was the next Sunshine or Galaxy type effort.

It wasn't really until like 2014-2015 when the system sellers from Nintendo finally started coming to the console and this was an era where they seem produce like 70% or 80% of the stuff on their console.

puNINTENDed

Darknyht

@HeroicTako I think the assumption was that everyone had Wiimotes from the Wii era, but controller issues did hurt it. While the Gamepad was available for Player 1, game requirements for player 2 were not consistent as some companies pushed the Wiimotes and others required pro controllers.

Darknyht

NickDaddyCool

The Wii U was better The dual screen and the option to play off tv rules. Ds games could be played on it excellently, could play all the wii games, had a camera in it (i only have two games that use it tho) stylus, an excellent eshop. It could do plenty that the switch can’t. Letting my daughter play a lego game on her own screen while I play on the tv was great. And being able to use the pad as a tv remote was so convenient. Also it had a good web browser, the miiverse was fun , the Mii games were always great, and the miitv thing was fun.

One last thing, I would love to know how much the Wii U version of Zelda Botw was neutered before its release. Guarantee there was tons of second screen and touch screen use before they decided to put the Switch out with the game too. The shiekan tablet is clearly the wiiu gamepad- I’m sure they planned to use it fully

NickDaddyCool

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic