Forums

Topic: Wii U is better than people think

Posts 181 to 200 of 213

bluemage1989

@desktop do you own a Switch??

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

desktop

I did but unfortunately I took it back because the left joy con was screwed up. Today however I ordered another one off Amazon along with the pro controller and breath of the wild.Hopefully this one doesn’t have a funky controller.

desktop

bluemage1989

@desktop the Switch is a great console with some great games but don't hesitate to pick up the WiiU if you see one at a good price. They make ideal virtual console machines and great for Wii games as well. There's some other games that for one reason or another will not make it to Switch such as Devils Third, Nanja Gaiden 3, Nintendo Land, Lego Star Wars, Mario and Sonic, ZombiU and many more a library worth playing if you ever find a WiiU cheap.

Surprisingly the WiiU still revieves a handful of new releases.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

Darknyht

@bluemage1989 It receives a handful, but let's not kid ourselves because the majority lately have been shovelware. There is still two quality indie eshop releases, an unnamed Wii U limited physical release, and the last DLC for Shovel Knight coming.

I don't disagree it is something worth picking up, especially now that the Wii shop is more or less closed for anyone without points. If you can find it at a decent price it is still possible to build a good library of Wii and Wii U games affordably with easy HDMI hookup at the moment (I've mostly finished purchasing the Wii U titles I want, and am now building out my Wii library). However, I am noticing that Wii U game prices are starting to creep up as most games only had a million or so in circulation worldwide to begin with.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

SuperLuigi111

gcunit wrote:

@Cobalt Yes, I am afraid. Very afraid. Please pray for me.

oh man XD thank you for this, I legitimately laughed out loud.

SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

@bluemage1989
I agree that they are great virtual console machines. It is best to buy a Wii U viewing it as a virtual console/Wii machine with a few good Wii U titles to play.

@Darknyht
New eshop and physical releases?? Can you please spill?!

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht

@SuperLuigi111 Limited Run Games posted that they had a physical release in their office, but nothing on it since then. Battle Princess Madelyn is due for the eShop and Shovel Knight DLC. I thought I saw another article on a second eShop game, but I am not finding it now.

Darknyht

bluemage1989

@Darknyht oh for sure there's not a lot of quality in those releases but i still think it's kinda cool were still seeing anything at all.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Darknyht

@bluemage1989 It's nice that there is still something happening, but part of the Wii U's problem was that a large share of the eShop releases looked like poor quality home-brew games. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least had the polish of stuff like Blade Buster (NES), Pac-Man Collection (7800), uCity (GB), or some of Locomalito releases; but they feel more like a Mojon Twins release where it is a just the same half-baked game engine pushing slightly different sprites. In truth, I wouldn't rank it as even indie but amateur/enthusiast quality.

I love that people were able to pursue their passions, but the majority of those games would have been relegated to Xbox Live Indie Games Market on the 360 (and never seen the light of day on most other consoles). However, the few limited free ones I picked up from the eShop (Humanitarian Helicopter, The First Skunk Bundle and a few others) were terrible and barely worth the storage space.

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

bluemage1989

@Darknyht I know what you mean I think the fanbase (myself included) and Nintendo were a little more forgiving with the standards for WiiU and did allow some developers to learn there trade a bit. It reminds me of the lower end of the Switch library if it's costing less than say £8 there's not a lot of quality there.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Darknyht

I will say this, we finally got around to upgrading our 27" television to a 40" this year due to a Black Friday sale. The Wii U really looks nice with a true 1080p television (not to mention being big enough to see). I've been like a kid in the toy store seeing all the details I've been missing in games.

Darknyht

Hikingguy

What is going on with the Wii U eShop?
I have noticed a disturbing trend. I was searching for some games and I see more and more games are becoming "Software currently unavailable". Try searching for Gear Gauntlet, Forma.8, Pier Solar, EarthLock, The Cave, KEYTARI: 8-bit Music Maker, Pixel Paint, Turtle Tale, and it might even appear that Hulu is not available anymore for easy download.
These are just the games that I have noticed. But it seems like the Wii U is losing games that historically were available for download.
Some games may have jumped to the Swtich already, but others seems to have just stopped being able to be purchased. Not sure why they would need to be removed from the Wii U eShop. These digital games might not be as permanent than I assumed.

Hikingguy

Darknyht

@Hikingguy The Cave was removed from the eShop a while ago. It disappeared back in March 2018 according to a site that tracks it. it may be that Sega (who published the game on consoles) didn't renew their contract.

Earthlock appears to have been delisted around the same time because the publisher couldn't update that version any further.

The developer of Turtle Tale publicly tweeted that all their games would be removed in Sept. from all Nintendo consoles, but wouldn't offer a public statement as to why.

The others you mentioned are not on the site yet, so either may be new or no one updates the console anymore. There are also a lot of licensed games that have disappeared from the system too.

Darknyht

Hikingguy

@Darknyht I am sure there are more, but these are the ones that I am aware of. I guess shame on me for thinking that eShop games would have a higher likelihood of being available longer than games on cartridge. I thought most games would just be there until the online store shut down.
I wanted to buy Pier Solar on the Wii U and then one day it was gone. This would be a bummer for people getting to the Wii U later.
What site do you find that info?

Hikingguy

Hikingguy

@Darknyht Thank you very much. That is quite interesting. I understood that online games at some point would no longer be supported for online play, like Warhawk. But I had thought that games, especially offline games, would always be in the eShop as long as the eShop was active. I guess I was mistaken.
Now I wish I would have bought Pier Solar sooner.

Hikingguy

Darknyht

@Hikingguy It still appears to be available on Steam if you are able and willing to play on PC/Mac/Linux. It does appear to have been even removed from the Nintendo.com game listings, although the current website still lists Wii U as a system it is sold on.

Darknyht

bougti

I liked the WiiU too, but can we at least give the switch a week or two before declaring it worse than the Wii U or any other console for that matter?

Full disclosure, even though I liked the Wii U, it made it impossible for me to complete my life's mission of becoming a one console home. The Switch looks to continue that trend, sadly.

bougti

Sakura7

I love the wii u. Game are currently selling ALL second hand wii u games at half price. And I'm picking up the KEMCO RPG's in the current eshop sale.

Sakura7

1UP_MARIO

@Sakura7 best time to pick up Wii u games.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

As gamers we never die. We always have spare 1ups here and there and everywhere

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic