Forums

Topic: Wii U is better than people think

Posts 141 to 160 of 242

ThanosReXXX

@Darknyht Well, there you go: that's exactly my point. You're not the average Joe, and you having arthritis affects your ability to hold the GamePad, or almost any other controller, from what I can read, for longer periods of time, or not even that. The average, non-hindered person should easily be able to hold and/or use the GamePad without experiencing any discomfort.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Octane

Hey, I'm perfectly fine with holding an N64 controller, so I'm the last person to complain about controller ergonomics.

Octane

HobbitGamer

I prefer holding the gamepad over holding the switch for anything longer than 45 minutes. There’s more finger spread room on the front of the gamepad for me. Same reason I prefer a 2DS over clamshell ds models.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

GrailUK

@skywake I can think of a lot worse mate lol!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Darknyht

skywake wrote:

Nemodius wrote:

@skywake
but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Is the most toxic phrase of our time

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

embison

skywake wrote:

Really, all the Wii U has going for it at this point is the VC, Wii BC and an very, very small list of games that haven't been ported yet.

That's kinda like saying all the Red Sox had going for them this year was great pitching, great hitting and some good base running. I guess I can only speak for myself, but the VC and Wii BC are huge advantages. If other people don't value them, well, that's their opinion I guess. (EDIT - I wrote this before reading the above comment on how lame "that's their opinion" is. LOL)

The thing you are missing is that the Wii U also has an amazing collection of games that got ported to the Switch. They count too.

Edited on by embison

The Wii U is still the world's best console. Buy one today!

skywake

GrailUK wrote:

@skywake I can think of a lot worse mate lol!

I can certainly make a strong case and most of the reason it is so toxic is because it kinda isn't. The fact that it's so innocent is how it's managed to spread as far as it has. At it's core it's really just a way for people to shut down a discussion. That's the danger of it. All they're doing is saying that it's not literally illegal to have a different opinion but by doing so they allow themselves to live in their little bubbles online.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that an opinion is only as strong as your ability to defend it. If your only defence is that you are allowed to hold that opinion/belief? You should consider rejecting it because you are admitting to the world that you are unable to defend it. Somewhat paradoxically sensitivity towards other people's opinions is the cause of most toxic behaviour online. If you never have to defend your position you'll never consider the alternative point of view. "I'm entitled to my opinion" is a disease

embison wrote:

skywake wrote:

Really, all the Wii U has going for it at this point is the VC, Wii BC and an very, very small list of games that haven't been ported yet.

That's kinda like saying all the Red Sox had going for them this year was great pitching, great hitting and some good base running. I guess I can only speak for myself, but the VC and Wii BC are huge advantages.

You're missing my point, I was talking about the appeal of the Wii U now in comparison to the Switch today. These are things it still has going for it over the Switch without question. However the fact that the list of reasons to own a Wii U has shrunk to this is what makes it currently not worth continuing to defend. Especially when people are doing it at the expense of the Switch as is the case in this thread.

Now as I said in my post I still believe the Wii U was a good console at the time. I still believe it was the right direction for Nintendo to be going and the success of the Switch IMO only further confirms that belief. The issue with the Wii U was mostly one of bad timing not poor content or a bad direction. But as good as I thought it was it's abundantly clear that the Switch outclasses it in every way that matters.

As I said, there is no VC but there are a lot of other options for retro content in 2018 including the NES games as part of the online sub. Yes there are games that haven't been ported yet but I'd take the significantly larger list of games the Switch has the Wii U never got any day. The only compelling reason I can think of to still have a Wii U plugged in is because it's also a Wii with HDMI out.

Also for the next 30 days or so Smash Bros

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Darknyht

@skywake Every console has advantages and disadvantages just by the nature of the design objectives. The Switch took the realization that people liked off-TV play and ran with it, but it did so at the cost of second screen gaming (which is wonderful when implemented correctly, but apparently somewhat difficult to design well). I think the Wii U got hurt because Nintendo (and especially third parties) could never really do much with the concept, including they missed putting obvious games onto the console opting instead for what worked elsewhere. I find it amusing that some of the games that best used second screen gaming are appearing now that the Switch is out.

At the end of the day the Wii U is the console I own (and probably will own for a while). So it doesn't do me good to dwell on what it doesn't have/do and try to focus on all the positive. Even without new stuff dropping for it, I am still finding new games to try (mostly Wii titles I missed), and rounding out my collection as Gamestop, Amazon and others dump inventory.

If given a choice between to be given any of the three (Wii, Wii U, and Switch), the Wii U still makes the most sense for now (for me). There hasn't been enough titles on Switch that interest me (and most that do are also on Wii U without enough incentive for me to upgrade, I own already, or are available on Steam), some of the Gamecube library was ported to Wii (New Play Control) or Wii U (Windwaker/Twilight Princess HD), and the price is right for now. It also benefits me to use Wii mode on the gamepad so the TV is free for my family while I am grinding in a game like Xenoblade Chronicles.

Darknyht

NEStalgia

@Darknyht @skywake Ultimately a big content problem for the "second screen" on Switch was that they were simultaneously pushing the 3DS and the WiiU based around the same overall "gimmick" of dual screen gaming. Ultimately they ran into a situation where most WiiU owners were also 3DS owners, while the inverse was not true, and handheld had to be their focus as it's was their most diversified product line without stronger competition elsewhere. When allocating games that used a second screen, without fail, all of them were allocated to 3DS, leaving WiiU with scraps, games not meant for dual screen gaming, and "WiiU edition" of 3DS games like Smash and MH3U, which was always the low selling version. In a sense the business model turned WiiU into "3DS X Pro", but they didn't have a business case to port the same games to both platforms except for a few.

I think WiiU would have been much, much, much stronger if 3DS did not exist, however, it would not have sold nearly as well as 3DS regardless.

NEStalgia

Darknyht

@NEStalgia @skywake I agree, it never made sense that games on Wii U regularly were ported, but the reverse almost never happened. Especially when the Wii U was so frequently left with no retail releases for months at a time.

It was almost like they were leaning exclusively on small team indie shops to keep the console afloat after a certain point. While there were some fun games born out of that choice, it probably hurt the console more than it helped.

Darknyht

ThanosReXXX

@skywake I really like and completely agree with your assessment of people using the "I have a right to my opinion" defense. It's much like people sticking to their principles, no matter what:

I've learned at quite an early age, that principles are only useful as long as they work for you, not when they hinder you or work against you, but regardless of that fact, entire droves of people, both offline and online, stubbornly stick to them anyway, simply because they seem to be adamant to defend what's "theirs". Online discussions have only added to that, and not exactly in a positive way.

Yup, the glorious state of the world nowadays...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@Darknyht Yeah. I've always felt the WiiU was Iwata's pet project, and it's life was tied to his. As bad as it's situation got, while he was at the helm he pushed it and made it feel like a viable platform. He was still pushing bigger projects onto it, no matter how convoluted our out of left field (Yakuza in Japan of all things...Devil's Third...) The moment Iwata took leave, all momentum on WiiU halted. I sense that nobody else believed in it, and without him they took the opportunity to abandon it and focus on the successful 3DS. The day he died, they practically deleted the platform from the website and virtually never spoke of it again. Granted, he was really the father of the Switch as well, and had already unveiled "NX" which helped rapidly kill WiiU as well, but I think the trailing years of WiiU would have been better provided for had he been in prime shape still. In hindsight we know he probably wasn't in shape to run much of anything for most of the WiiU lifecycle, and what energy he did have was being poured into Switch and Pokemon Go as a pet project, leaving the mismanagement of WiiU to others that never had a vision for it.

I don't think they were intentionally leaning on indies (as someone who pretty much ignored most indies until Switch, I wasn't even aware most of those existed, I just saw zero games on WiiU for months and mostly watched the 3DS coming soon lists.) I just think they had absolutely nothing retail, with most of those projects reserved for 3DS....and Switch.

Imagine Code Name Steam as a WiiU title? Or the Pikmin platformer for that matter. But everything was funneled to 3DS instead.

It wasn't necessarily the wrong decision, but 3DS probably killed WiiU more than PS4 and "NX" did. Nintendo had a great library those years....and nearly all of it was on 3DS.

NEStalgia

kkslider5552000

Yeah, even though I often preferred the Wii U's library to 3DS, for most people it's probably fairly redundant. Like, I think Mario Kart 7 is the most mediocre game in the entire series and 8 is way better. But if you just want a well made, enjoyable Mario Kart experience and the relative lack of creativity doesn't bother you, you'd probably just get 7 that came out first on the cheaper system that your friends actually own. Especially in a world where online is such a big focus, so even if you don't have friends with a 3DS, you can still play the game's multiplayer, so it isn't like couch co-op is as necessary. And Mario Kart 8 was Wii U's most successful game.

Between that and people confusing games for HD upgrades of Wii games, I'm not surprised.

In more optimistic news though, god Deus Ex is an awesome game. Human Revolution is probably one of the best games this decade, especially this version. Also, thank god a game where you can try to play the whole thing with stealth, you can manually save. My other major stealth game experiences did not have that, and the games were so much more annoying because of all the trial and error and redoing stuff over and over again. If some purist wants to waste their lives on that, that's fine, but I want to make some progress in games I like.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Enigminator

Oh shoot, I just realized that today is the anniversary of Miiverse's Shutdown.

Enigminator

Darknyht

Just out of curiosity, I purchased the first year of Nintendo Force Magazine digitally. I enjoyed the magazine and it also serves as a sort of time capsule of events. One of the biggest things I have noticed is that in that first year (which almost matches my first year of ownership) there was a lot of games announced that just quietly went into the night. While none of them were major releases, it sure did thin out the lineup.

Darknyht

SuperLuigi111

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Yeah, even though I often preferred the Wii U's library to 3DS, for most people it's probably fairly redundant. Like, I think Mario Kart 7 is the most mediocre game in the entire series and 8 is way better. But if you just want a well made, enjoyable Mario Kart experience and the relative lack of creativity doesn't bother you, you'd probably just get 7 that came out first on the cheaper system that your friends actually own. Especially in a world where online is such a big focus, so even if you don't have friends with a 3DS, you can still play the game's multiplayer, so it isn't like couch co-op is as necessary. And Mario Kart 8 was Wii U's most successful game.

Between that and people confusing games for HD upgrades of Wii games, I'm not surprised.

In more optimistic news though, god Deus Ex is an awesome game. Human Revolution is probably one of the best games this decade, especially this version. Also, thank god a game where you can try to play the whole thing with stealth, you can manually save. My other major stealth game experiences did not have that, and the games were so much more annoying because of all the trial and error and redoing stuff over and over again. If some purist wants to waste their lives on that, that's fine, but I want to make some progress in games I like.

I've been on the fence about that game, might finally have to get it. When I get time.

SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

I've been really bumming about how it's virtually impossible to get a larger Wii U Gamepad battery in the US. The Gamepad lasts for like three hours it's atrocious, and since you have to have it on even when using the pro controller, it gets to be irritating...

SuperLuigi111

PCkid

@SuperLuigi111

Do you know that you can plug and charge your GP with the AC adapter cable during your playtime ?

PCkid

Nemodius

@PCkid
he does now

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic