Forums

Topic: Wii U has only 1.24GHz CPU, 550MHz graphics core

Posts 41 to 57 of 57

TysonOfTime

On the talk of ports, doean't the PS3 have trouble with some Multiplatform games?

Anyways, do you guys think the compitetion will jump to GPGPU as well?

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

SpaceApe

Even if the PS4 and new Xbox are more powerful than the Wii U then what games will be using that much power to justify buying a PS4 or new Xbox ? Last time I checked Microsoft was still pushing mostly Kinect games and Sony never makes a game that requires that much power anyway. I honestly think the whole " more powerful" is just a gimmick to get you buy a Sony or Microsoft product.

When all is said and done, a lot more has been said than done.

Scollurio

Ultimately Systems don't matter much. Get the system that has the most games you like, easy as that. The PS3 was technically more powerful than the XBOX360 (by a little bit) but it almost always got the lesser frames, lesser texture quality and less vibrant colours on multiplatform titles. Im not bashing here, just stating a fact. And there are plenty PS3 owners that - because they never saw the 360 Version and the difference really was marginally mostly - ever had the urge to get a 360 just for a few frames more.

So even if the next XBOX and Playstation are way more powerful than the Wii U, they still gotta prove that there is better games, not only games LOOKING better. As long as the Wii U gets Multiplatform titles everything is fine, if they have a few frames less, I couldn't care less.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5821-0423-7909 | My Nintendo: Scollurio | Nintendo Network ID: Scollurio | Twitter:

Scollurio

Oh and I want to add following: No matter the specs, they won't matter for you as the consumer, it all comes down to the optimization and efficiency of the systems.

Example:
In the 60ies in America it took you a huge V8 engine that swallows loads of gas to reach a certain speed,
today we can reach the same or better performance with way smaller engines, eating less fuel just because they've been optimized and run more efficient.

Another Example:
Look at my gaming PC (there are far better ones out there) but I got a current gen Radeon Graphics Card in there with 2 Gig of Ram, 8 GB 1600 MHz Ram, 2x SSD, Quad Core AMD 3,6 GHz. I'd say in numbers its quite impressive. But none of the latest games I've been playing (X-Com, RaiderZ, Planetside 2, ..) make full use of even the 4 cores. It's like I need WAY more power and WAY more money invested to get similar results of performance than on my XBOX 360. Sure, I play in FULL HD with better Textures, but at what price? X-Com for example, being a mutliplatform title almost looks the same on my XBOX 360. So all my extra power of the PC goes to waste.

That said, the stats of the Wii U are more than capable if utilized correctly, the only fear I have is if multiplatform games will be given the development time for that optimization and also the structure of the competitive systems will play a huge role, likely they will be quite different to work with which further complicates the situation. And there still has to be some really clever use of the gamepad. Lets wait and see, but Im certain of one thing: Excellent first party games in the second wave of games!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5821-0423-7909 | My Nintendo: Scollurio | Nintendo Network ID: Scollurio | Twitter:

Lan

Scollurio wrote:

Oh and I want to add following: No matter the specs, they won't matter for you as the consumer, it all comes down to the optimization and efficiency of the systems.

Example:
In the 60ies in America it took you a huge V8 engine that swallows loads of gas to reach a certain speed,
today we can reach the same or better performance with way smaller engines, eating less fuel just because they've been optimized and run more efficient.

Another Example:
Look at my gaming PC (there are far better ones out there) but I got a current gen Radeon Graphics Card in there with 2 Gig of Ram, 8 GB 1600 MHz Ram, 2x SSD, Quad Core AMD 3,6 GHz. I'd say in numbers its quite impressive. But none of the latest games I've been playing (X-Com, RaiderZ, Planetside 2, ..) make full use of even the 4 cores. It's like I need WAY more power and WAY more money invested to get similar results of performance than on my XBOX 360. Sure, I play in FULL HD with better Textures, but at what price? X-Com for example, being a mutliplatform title almost looks the same on my XBOX 360. So all my extra power of the PC goes to waste.

That said, the stats of the Wii U are more than capable if utilized correctly, the only fear I have is if multiplatform games will be given the development time for that optimization and also the structure of the competitive systems will play a huge role, likely they will be quite different to work with which further complicates the situation. And there still has to be some really clever use of the gamepad. Lets wait and see, but Im certain of one thing: Excellent first party games in the second wave of games!

What are your full specs?

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

Scollurio

Full specs
is Republic of Gamers Mainboard Formula IV
AMD Quadcore 45nm 3,6 GHz (which is easily tune- and overclockable with the Mainboard)
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram
2x Samsung 256 GB SSD in Raid (BLAZINGLY fast)
Some Asus Discdrive
Some Gen 8 Asus Graphics Card with 2 GB Video Ram (can check back later for exact model)

The system itself is really quick, the games load fast, can play mostly everything on highest res but compared to the performance for hardware of PS3 and XBOX360 it's not too impressive imho. The best thing about PC games is the anti-aliasing and the sales on Steam!

#supportindies

Lan

Scollurio wrote:

Full specs
AMD Quadcore 45nm 3,6 GHz (which is easily tune- and overclockable with the Mainboard)
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram
Some Asus Discdrive
Some Gen 8 Asus Graphics Card with 2 GB Video Ram (can check back later for exact model)

The system itself is really quick, the games load fast, can play mostly everything on highest res but compared to the performance for hardware of PS3 and XBOX360 it's not too impressive imho. The best thing about PC games is the anti-aliasing and the sales on Steam!

I mean like what CPU and card? Just curious

Dragon friend safari

Mk_II

I remember the gold old days when the SNES outsold the technically superior Genesis. And when Nintendo really did try to push new technology (n64) they were roundly beaten by the rather unexciting PlayStation. They concluded that "the polygon race" could never be won by them and went on to develop the Wii instead. I think they know exactly what they are doing and that their strategy is the right one.

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code

Auracle

Mk_II wrote:

I remember the gold old days when the SNES outsold the technically superior Genesis. And when Nintendo really did try to push new technology (n64) they were roundly beaten by the rather unexciting PlayStation. They concluded that "the polygon race" could never be won by them and went on to develop the Wii instead. I think they know exactly what they are doing and that their strategy is the right one.

Well said.

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

Scollurio

Lan wrote:

Scollurio wrote:

Full specs
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram
Some Asus Discdrive

I told you, its an AMD CPU with FOUR cores, 3,6 GHz EACH
and the Graphics card - I dont know the exact model name off the top of my head - is a series 8 radeon running at 1600 MHz with 2GB of dedicated video Ram.

So technically this is CRUSHING the Wii U, does it LOOK and PLAY like it? No!

#supportindies

Scollurio

Mk_II wrote:

I thought the only thing the Genesis was superior in was its sound chip? All games I played on my SNES and then on my friends Megadrive looked worse there. Especially all the Mortal Kombats. Ah those days!

#supportindies

shingi_70

Gensis was way more advanced than the snes. It had blast processing after all. (Gensis had a better sound chip and that's about it)

SpaceApe wrote:

Even if the PS4 and new Xbox are more powerful than the Wii U then what games will be using that much power to justify buying a PS4 or new Xbox ? Last time I checked Microsoft was still pushing mostly Kinect games and Sony never makes a game that requires that much power anyway. I honestly think the whole " more powerful" is just a gimmick to get you buy a Sony or Microsoft product.

You don't follow the non nintendo parts of the industry that much do you?

First off have you seen two of sony's high marquee games for next year. Both the Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls are looking to be technical marvels. Beyond is using some very impressive mo-cap.

Many of sony's teams have been known for a while to be working on next gen and vita projects.

Microsoft while have been focusing on kinect have been bolstering their first party support for next generationto support both casuel and hardcore games.

Halo 4 was microsofts most expensive game to date and uses the same type of mocap that beyond is using and a lot has gone into the graphics and CG. 343i has already beguan pre-production on a next gen Halo 5. (About 3-4 years out)

Microsoft Studios Vancouver has been renamed Black Tusk Studios and have been working on a next gen game for a while now. They are hiring a lot now to get the game ready. The game is being headed up by the lead designer of crysis 2 and is currently being speculated to be a sci-fi horror FPS in the vein of dead space is an unreal engine 4 game.

Microsoft studios Victoria was recently hiring for a nextgen hardcore game as well. Don't expect to hear about it for a while now as the studio is just nearing around 100 people.

Rare is known to be working on at least three seperate games. One of them is a kinect game which is probably going to be kinect sports 3 at launch or something similar to that vein, the other is a windows 8/windows phone 8 game, and the third is an action/adventure based on job postings. They also released an xbla mini kinect sports game last week.

Lionhead is hiring for a mmo like game for a next generation console. Its supposed to be a new IP, but I could see it becoming fable IV or being made alongside a new fable game.

Turn 10 is probably working on a next gen forza game. With Horizon by Playground games released last month seems like they are going full steam ahead. Would rather see PGR return but that's just me.

Soho productions have finsihed up season two of the seasme street and national geographic tv things. They are hiring for cocept guys for their next project.

Good Science is looking like backend stuff for Halo waypoint. Its funny how they made kinect adventure and fun labs and have been tossed aside. They didn't even make the kinect adventure sequel.

Twisted Pixel has two teams. One is working on lococyle and another one is working on an unannounced game.

Microsoft studios london is working on windows 8 free to. Play games.

Press play is working on windows 8 and windows phone.

Bigpark shares the same building as black tusk studios. Probably working on something dealing with Avatar related.

Skybox sports opened this year dunno what they are doing.

Set aside money and a studio (redmend core prublishing) to work with third and 2nd parties on exclusives. First of these will probably be Ryse by crytech which has been rumored to ditch kinect and the 360 for nextgen and chaging to crytech's main developer.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

edhe

Sony_70 wrote:

Gensis was way more advanced than the snes. It had blast processing after all.

Blast Processing was just a marketing term SEGA made up.

Like in those commercials when they put Sonic the Hedgehog against Mario Kart (and not, say, F-Zero), and tried to claim that the SNES was inherently slow.

As for the sound chip, different strokes for different folks. I've been listening to a videogame music podcast, and they explained the difference between the SNES chip and the Genesis chip. Basically, the SNES was 100% sample, while the Genesis was mainly synth (with the single sample channel I believe - like the NES). Personally (with the exception of some of the rock tracks from EA megadrive games), the SNES music was nicer to listen to.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Ryno

Sony_70 wrote:

Gensis was way more advanced than the snes. It had blast processing after all.

Genesis did have a faster processor than the SNES. Sports titles and shmups shined on the Genesis which I have to admit even though being a huge SNES fan. However, the SNES had a superior special audio CPU designed by Sony to produce some incredibly orchestrated music unless someone prefer's the muffled Genesis trademark sound.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Discostew

Simply put, the Genesis only had processing power that trumped the SNES's own CPU (think it was 8Mhz vs 3Mhz, disregarding the architecture). But video hardware, audio, etc were all superior on the SNES.

So why do many of the "ports" don't run as well on the Wii U as opposed to the console they were designed for? Well, if you take a look at some of the PS3 game developments, you'll notice that while the Cell processor is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, its GPU is extremely lacking, even so that developers had to go and route GPU instructions to the Cell processor to give it that extra umph. That is simply the opposite route with current techonology, in that developers can throw instructions usually done by the CPU to the GPU instead. With the 360, I believe it was more balanced, having a good CPU and good GPU, so no real requirement to throw one unit instructions from another. I honestly think that console developers haven't fully grasped the concept of making this transition, and were trying to get their games ready for launch. With a little time, I think such future "ports" will become far superior on the Wii U.

Edited on by Discostew

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Lan

Scollurio wrote:

Lan wrote:

Scollurio wrote:

Full specs
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram
Some Asus Discdrive

I told you, its an AMD CPU with FOUR cores, 3,6 GHz EACH
and the Graphics card - I dont know the exact model name off the top of my head - is a series 8 radeon running at 1600 MHz with 2GB of dedicated video Ram.

So technically this is CRUSHING the Wii U, does it LOOK and PLAY like it? No!

I meant like what model, Athlon, Phenom, Llano, FX,

Dragon friend safari

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.