Forums

Topic: Wii U has only 1.24GHz CPU, 550MHz graphics core

Posts 1 to 20 of 57

xBASSxMONSTAx

Read in more detail here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wii-hacker-r...

What are your thoughts on this latest news topic? Everywhere I visit, people are slagging the Wii-U off left, right and centre.

My thoughts are as long as the games are really good fun and they make great use of the touchscreen controls. I don't think people will care about these clock speeds ect. My only concern is for game developers, hopefully they get on fine.

Edited on by xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

3DS_excel

Don't care in the slightest

Mr Money In the Bank!

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2208-5483

Lan

Cool article. People, read that before you freak out please.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

19Robb92

Couldn't care less to be honest.

Picking up my system tomorrow! Can't wait!

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

RancidVomit86

Meh Nintendo doesn't try to make consoles anymore that keep up with others in hardware so it doesn't suprise that it wouldn't keep up graphically with Microsoft and Sony's next offerings.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Reef7009

Cpu at idle. Gpu quicker than 360. Can we move on now

Reef7009

Lan

Reef7009 wrote:

Cpu at idle. Gpu quicker than 360. Can we move on now

Wasn't at idle

Dragon friend safari

Discostew

Gonna do a copy-paste here of a response I made on the main page..

A CPU's performance is based on 2 factors. The internal operating frequency of the CPU, and the number Instructions Per Clock (IPC) the CPU can do. Calculation of CPU performance is simply (Freq * IPC). If the Frequency is low, but the IPC is high, then it averages out, as is when the Frequency is high and the IPC is low. This is why modern CPUs of lower frequencies wipe the floor of higher frequency CPUs of the past.
So, even if this CPU frequency is true, it still doesn't tell us the CPU's true power.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Lan

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Meh Nintendo doesn't try to make consoles anymore that keep up with others in hardware so it doesn't suprise that it wouldn't keep up graphically with Microsoft and Sony's next offerings.

You have no idea what the Wii U is capable of

Dragon friend safari

Reef7009

From what i read it was at idle on the menu screen. Are we not bored of this yet? Really? Enjoy the thread bye

Reef7009

RancidVomit86

And don't you think saying 1.24ghz and 550mhz is a little misleading. It's actually 1.243125GHz and 549.999755MHz.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

RancidVomit86

Lan wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

You have no idea what the Wii U is capable of

Do ever see what every console is truly capable of? No.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Let's Go Buffalo!

Reala

RancidVomit86 wrote:

I think some of the criticism is that it apparently doesn't keep up with current sony and microsoft offerings, though it will probably be a while before that can be said for sure right now if ever, pretty sure 360 vs PS3 which is best debates still go on and judging game like for like wouldn't be too fair right now, as the wii u obviously has a lot of typically rushed launch games, not that i think a lot of people buy consoles by tech measurements anyway really.

Reala

RancidVomit86

Well I don't want to shake up the apple cart or anything I just thought what I stated was common knowledge. Nintendo kinda ditched all that with the wii and probably for their best interest. You have to sink a lot of money into releasing the powerhouse consoles and Nintendo doesn't have to do that cause they find themselves easily making profit. Why change this model if your fan base does not seem to care about that.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Let's Go Buffalo!

nocode

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Well I don't want to shake up the apple cart or anything I just thought what I stated was common knowledge. Nintendo kinda ditched all that with the wii and probably for their best interest. You have to sink a lot of money into releasing the powerhouse consoles and Nintendo doesn't have to do that cause they find themselves easily making profit. Why change this model if your fan base does not seem to care about that.

I agree. Nintendo has found a market and is selling to it. The majority of Wii buyers could care less about graphical power....just give us good games. Nintendo's priorities have always been how they can take a leap over their previous console... not how can we completely destroy the competition.

The only real concern when it comes to less graphical power is, like xBASSxMONSTAx says above, is that it could prevent 3rd party developers from bringing good ideas to the Wii U. However I think things are gonna be good... I believe the touch screen gamepad is definitely not as off-putting as the wii motes were for the original wii. It will be alot easier for developers to wrap their heads around a touchscreen interface, as opposed to a wii remote that really offered nothing new outside of shaking it like a crazy person.

With the ipad showing everybody that touch screen gaming can be a huge success... I definitely think 3rd party companies are gonna be coming in droves to the Wii U to take advantage of it. You will definitely see some kind of touch screen device on the next xbox and playstation...guaranteed.

Edited on by nocode

nocode

3DS Friend Code: 0087-2314-1034 | Nintendo Network ID: nocode

Blink16

I'm not surprised the Wii U will be weaker than the upcoming PS4 and 720 although not by much, I can still see this hurting third-party support for the Wii U though.

"Yeah I'm gonna be that guy"

moomoo

IAmNotWill wrote:

The Wii U has a GPGPU which does CPU functions. The CPU doesn't need to be clocked so high.

Everyone is freaking out about this for no reason.

The Wii U also has to send game data over to the game pad, unlike other systems. That would be quite taxing on the system, I'd think.

Granted, I know very little about how this kind of stuff works, so feel free to ignore me.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

IAmNotWill

moomoo wrote:

IAmNotWill wrote:

The Wii U has a GPGPU which does CPU functions. The CPU doesn't need to be clocked so high.

Everyone is freaking out about this for no reason.

The Wii U also has to send game data over to the game pad, unlike other systems. That would be quite taxing on the system, I'd think.

Correct and it does a fine job at that. We will see what the system is truly capable of in a few years.

Edited on by IAmNotWill

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.