Forums

Topic: Wii U Games $49.99 USD?

Posts 1 to 20 of 122

Waluigi21

This is low i think the system will effectively be cheap. All the game may be priced low so buying an expensive system will not seem as bad.

Waluigi21

JohnDoe123

I can't see those games coming to PS3/X360 for $50, so I don't think this will be true. I'd like to be surprised, though.

JohnDoe123

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0286-9394

Bread-Not-Toast

Pretty good price,£50 in the UK I bet.

PSN- Crossword-Man
3DS Friend Code- 3067-6402-2163
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKk-kKUlvYeZSW2XbVrsqQ
Latest Review: Star Wars Battlefront Beta
Please add me as I need more friends.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

kkslider5552000

This would be a semi-big risk for Nintendo. I could see some games, especially ports doing this, maybe more than on 360 or Ps3, but all of them, especially 3rd party? No way. (nor should they considering their painfully over-the-top budgets for games nowadays)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

Well here in Australia it's upto $60AU for 3DS, $80AU for Wii, $100AU for HD consoles.... and it's still pretty much 1AUD = 1USD....

I'd be pretty happy with even $60US.... hell, give me $80US for Wii U games and I'll still be happy!

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

ShadJV

$50 is fair, please keep the price point, I couldn't afford much more for each game. It's why I get so few 360 games. If they reach $60 each, I'll still get the games, just probably not as many.

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

Sean_Aaron

That's what they are now isn't it? I pay £29.99 for new Wii releases without thinking about it (talking games like Xenoblade Chronicles here); don't see why Wii-U games would cost more.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

The_Fox

I would be surprised if they weren't $59.99. Development costs are likely to be much higher for the Wii U than the Wii.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

SkywardLink98

If Wii U games will be $59.99 at launch than PLEASE lower them in price sooner! It took you, what, 5 years to drop Twilight Princess's price from $49.99 to $19.99 but Halo Reach is already at $25.15 on amazon and that's the case with %90 of video games on non-nintendo consoles. You could learn a thing or two from these publishers Nintendo.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

JohnPhilipSousa

Retailers lower the price. Just saying.

JohnPhilipSousa

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7508-7026 | Nintendo Network ID: JohnPhilipSousa

TheKingOfTown

MagicLink95 wrote:

Retailers lower the price. Just saying.

Of every game?

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Ryno

"The average development budget for a multiplatform next-gen game is $18-$28 million, according to new data." - http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-co...

Let's do the math:
Cost to develop game: $18,000,000 (Conservative)
Sell: $60.00 ea
How many games need to be sold to cover the cost of development if each company received the full $60.00 per game: 300,000

But wait, companies don't make $60.00 per game, that is what the retailers sell it for and they must make a profit on it at there sell price of $60!

Here's a chart to explain how that $60.00 gets split up.
Untitled

Let's add the 15% from marketing, 15% for the developer, and 30% for the publisher or a total of $36 ($30 for $50.00 game) towards covering the conservative development cost of $18,000,000 to develop a video game. How many games sold at $60.00 must the developer sell to cover the $18,000,000 development cost? Answer, 500,000!

What is a good profit percentage for a video game company to keep operating and producing video games? 25%? Seems like a low percentage to me but lets use that anyway. 25% profit margin on a cost of $18,000,000 would equal $24,000,000 in total sales or 666,667 copies or 800,000 copies for a game sold at $50.00.

Costs are only going up with inflation and new technology so lets see how many copies need to be sold for a video game company developing a game for the “average high side” cost of $28,000,000. In this example let’s lower the gross profit margin to a low 15% for a sales target of $32,941,000. At the sell price of $60 a game that is 915,025 copies sold or at $50 that is 1,098,034.

But we all know it is not this simple. Game prices drop rather quickly in the stores and the above examples show how many more games need to be sold to make up for the $10 difference in MSRP. Be careful what you wish for people. Cheaper is not better for the industry unless you like seeing things like more video game related layoffs, cancelled projects, companies shutting down or moving to mobile phone game development, and a lack of innovation.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

SonyFACE

@Ryno but that's... that's over nine thousand! What is this I don't even

Edited on by SonyFACE

Charter Member of SonyLife.
Nintendo and Sony for the win, Microsoft ehh.
Psalm 51.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5840-8779 | Nintendo Network ID: SonyFACE

Bankai

Ryno wrote:

"The average development budget for a multiplatform next-gen game is $18-$28 million, according to new data." - http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-co...

Let's do the math:
Cost to develop game: $18,000,000 (Conservative)
Sell: $60.00 ea
How many games need to be sold to cover the cost of development if each company received the full $60.00 per game: 300,000

But wait, companies don't make $60.00 per game, that is what the retailers sell it for and they must make a profit on it at there sell price of $60!

Untitled

Let's add the 15% from marketing, 15% for the developer, and 30% for the publisher or a total of $36 ($30 for $50.00 game) towards covering the conservative development cost of $18,000,000 to develop a video game. How many games sold at $60.00 must the developer sell to cover the $18,000,000 development cost? Answer, 500,000!

What is a good profit percentage for a video game company to keep operating and producing video games? 25%? Seems like a low percentage to me but lets use that anyway. 25% profit margin on a cost of $18,000,000 would equal $24,000,000 in total sales or 666,667 copies or 800,000 copies for a game sold at $50.00.

Costs are only going up with inflation and new technology so lets see how many copies need to be sold for a video game company developing a game for the “average high side” cost of $28,000,000. In this example let’s lower the gross profit margin to a low 15% for a sales target of $32,941,000. At the sell price of $60 a game that is 915,025 copies sold or at $50 that is 1,098,034.

But we all know it is not this simple. Game prices drop rather quickly in the stores and the above examples show how many more games need to be sold to make up for the $10 difference in MSRP. Be careful what you wish for people. Cheaper is not better for the industry unless you like seeing things like more video game related layoffs, cancelled projects, companies shutting down or moving to mobile phone game development, and a lack of innovation.

True story. I was halfway into writing this exact post before I noticed you did my job for you.

i like you.

I would say that 50% over production costs is a healthy, sustainable return on a game. Anything less, and you don't really have margin to be creative and risk a commercial flop.

mamp

SkywardLink98 wrote:

If Wii U games will be $59.99 at launch than PLEASE lower them in price sooner! It took you, what, 5 years to drop Twilight Princess's price from $49.99 to $19.99 but Halo Reach is already at $25.15 on amazon and that's the case with %90 of video games on non-nintendo consoles. You could learn a thing or two from these publishers Nintendo.

Yeah but Nintendo games tend to sell even after they've been out for a while. The problem with Halo is that fans will scoop it up during it's release and after that it doesn't sell as much because Halo fans already have it.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

Radixxs

@Ryno The problem is, or isn't, that the majority of consumers don't care. I can only speak for myself, but I assume most are like me. If I can buy something cheaper, I probably will. Greedy consumerism. Intangible consequences probably won't check the greed of the masses.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

Bankai

Radixxs wrote:

@Ryno The problem is, or isn't, that the majority of consumers don't care. I can only speak for myself, but I assume most are like me. If I can buy something cheaper, I probably will. Greedy consumerism. Intangible consequences probably won't check the greed of the masses.

Well, the sooner the games industry realised that losing 10 per cent of sales numbers to sell at $10 higher price is financially a better idea than trying to break sales figure records, the better.

skywake

Ryno wrote:

Untitled

And if Nintendo sell their own games online?

also I suspect that that chart is very, very broken if you look outside of the US. The Australian split is going to have a hell of a lot more fat you could easily trim for example.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.