Forums

Topic: Wii U blitzes PS3 and 360 as the "greenest" console

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

xBASSxMONSTAx

Read more here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wii-u-is-the...

Here's a quote: "Nintendo's design is leaps and bounds ahead of its vintage 2005/2006 competitors: efficiency. In terms of performance per watt, Wii U is the clear winner, providing an equivalent graphical and gameplay experience using less than half the power consumed by the other consoles"

Finally, Nintendo beats the competition in something.

Edited on by xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

The_Fox

This falls under "I would hope so" category. Seven years is forever in the realm of electronics and it would be pretty depressing if the Wii U wasn't running more efficiently than the older systems.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

pntjr

...PS3 and 360 are last gen. When the new hardware rolls in, things will be the same as they were 6 years ago.

Edited on by pntjr

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

Shrapmo

Nintendo > Al Gore

Here is a new petition to get Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengence on the Wii U!!!
http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-platinum-games-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-for-the-nintendo-wii-u

Henmii

At first I was excited about the news. But then I realized: Did they also take the controller into account?

Because I still think a console that comes with a controller with a big touchscreen, can never be more nature-friendly compared to a console with just a regular controller!!

Henmii

Nitendnut

This is very interesting. I like that Wii U is so much more efficient. However it is only more efficient as technology has improved. In my opinion, Nintendo Wii should have been Wii U. By deciding to go with an outdated 480p non HD system, they sorta screwed themselves! Now Wii U seems to be most advanced system out, but really its only about as good as a PS3 Slim or 360S. In the end....Microsoft and Sony will put out systems that are about twice as advanced in a year or two.

Nitendnut

Bankai

Being "green" is more than technology. Use of materials in manufacturing, packaging and so on and so forth also count towards whether a company is "green" or not.

I don't know whether, overall, the Wii U is greener than its rivals. What I do know is that Nintendo regularly winds up at the bottom of green watchdog organisations.

Taedrin

Henmii wrote:

At first I was excited about the news. But then I realized: Did they also take the controller into account?

Because I still think a console that comes with a controller with a big touchscreen, can never be more nature-friendly compared to a console with just a regular controller!!

The Gamepad's AC adapter is rated for a maximum power draw of 24 Watts. Note that the actual power consumption is likely much lower, as the AC adapter has to provide enough juice to not only power the Gamepad, but to charge it also.

Taedrin

skywake

Henmii wrote:

It won't use more than 30W that's for sure. You can actually work out from the battery capacity (5.6Wh) and the battery life (~3hrs) that it probably uses less than 2W. This doesn't add much to the total power usage even if you include the inefficiencies of the AC adapter.

WhiteKnight wrote:

Being "green" is more than technology. Use of materials in manufacturing, packaging and so on and so forth also count towards whether a company is "green" or not.

I don't know whether, overall, the Wii U is greener than its rivals. What I do know is that Nintendo regularly winds up at the bottom of green watchdog organisations.

Well both matter obviously but the main reason Nintendo scores low is because they don't provide any information. Not saying that makes them better, it doesn't, but it's hardly proof of not being green. Truth is they could be clubbing baby seals and as long as they answered the questions asked from green survey thing about the other stuff they'd score higher.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bankai

Well both matter obviously but the main reason Nintendo scores low is because they don't provide any information. Not saying that makes them better, it doesn't, but it's hardly proof of not being green. Truth is they could be clubbing baby seals and as long as they answered the questions asked from green survey thing about the other stuff they'd score higher.

It's almost impossible for a company like Nintendo to prove it's a legitimately "green" one, because being "green" and being a manufacturer are mutually exclusive terms - manufacturing is all about exploiting resources to the detriment of the environment to make goods for human consumption.

But ranking one company against another is useful for the people that care about doing the right thing - if you're going to exploit, then some people care about exploiting in the lowest-impact way possible. If Nintendo defaults to the bottom of lists because it doesn't supply adequate information to Greenpeace or whatever, then Nintendo has no right to claim it's a "green" company. I highly doubt any company that took environmentalism seriously would not supply adequate information to Greenpeace etc, since being "green" is proven to be beneficial from a marketing point of view.

Edited on by Bankai

skywake

I did say it doesn't make them green and we both know that they aren't trying to claim to be green. You can't fault them for producing low powered products though. With the number of units they sell it adds up pretty quickly. Back of a napkin stuff but assuming ~1% usage a 30W gap with 90mill units works out to be around 0.1% of Australia's total power consumption.

More important with something like a fridge (which is a power guzzler everyone owns and uses 24/7) but does also add up for smaller devices. Efficiency matters.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bankai

skywake wrote:

I did say it doesn't make them green and we both know that they aren't trying to claim to be green. You can't fault them for producing low powered products though. With the number of units they sell it adds up pretty quickly. Back of a napkin stuff but assuming ~1% usage a 30W gap with 90mill units works out to be around 0.1% of Australia's total power consumption.

More important with something like a fridge (which is a power guzzler everyone owns and uses 24/7) but does also add up for smaller devices. Efficiency matters.

Oh, I completely agree with you - if nothing else, the low power use means a lighter energy bill, and in Australia that counts for a tonne of money now.

moomoo

I need to use "blitzes" in more sentences. Also, it's nice to see that Nintendo is finally the greenest one. They usually aren't.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Pogocoop

They should realese a Lime Green WiiU To celebrate That would be so purty..

Ninty pls.

3DS FC: 0774-4269-5253Name:Tony

Nintendo network ID : Pogocoop

Obsesive Vocaloid fan.

Henmii

So you guys say that the controller doesn't make the Wii u that much more enviroment-unfriendly? Hmm, that may be true. I don't know.

Henmii

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.