Forums

Topic: Wii U 2014 Holiday Commercial

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

iKhan

Thoughts:

Right off the bat this commercial is better than the 2013 commercial. There is a level of subtle humor in it that anyone could enjoy, and the majority of the talking is done by the dad. That's definitely a better way to approach the family angle.

But at the same time, it's still not the right way to approach a commercial.

Here are 5 commercials from different consoles. Tell me which ones really stand out to you:

(PS4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWsftNQvzsM
(Xbox One) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbkGLo7P39Q
(Wii) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5BsT9vm7VY
(Gamecube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_tH7SSDq4
(Playstation 3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

Two of those commercials don't cater to stereotypes, and appeal to a broad market. That's the Wii and PS4. The Wii Would Like To Play ads coherently blend an advertisement to a younger crowd and an adult crowd, and don't stick to stereotypes like "passionate American football fan", or "silly embarrassing Soccer Mom". The PS4 add has two young guys in it, but the commercial really has very little to do with their age, focusing on the fun of the games. And worth noting is that none of them focus on kids. Why? Because, as Emily Rogers put it, Kids want to feel more grown up, they don't want to buy things aimed at their age or below.

The Xbox One caters to a stereotypical American in the 25-35 demographic. The Gamecube one aims at a broad group, but is almost 100% stereotypes and completely incoherent, not really delivering a clear message. And the PS3 one aims at the gamer trying to get a gritty hardcore experience out of their consoles. These more focused approaches are less successful.

That's why this ad still isn't where Nintendo needs to be.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

IceClimbers

I still don't understand how Nintendo went from the marketing genius that was the "Wii would like to Play" campaign and the other early Wii and DS ads to the godawful marketing of the Wii U. Like what happened?!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

sub12

Totally agree with you, they are still chasing that casual Wii demographic.

Just let the games sell themselves and be the star of the show, and not some perceived targeted audience. Either that or make it something everybody can laugh at (which they kinda tried, but they should have just shown 75% MK8 footage) like the PS3 butler ads.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

IceClimbers

sub12 wrote:

Just let the games sell themselves and be the star of the show, and not some perceived targeted audience. Either that or make it something everybody can laugh at (which they kinda tried, but they should have just shown 75% MK8 footage) like the PS3 butler ads.

Nah, they're targeting kids, not the casual Wii demographic. They've targeted kids long before the Wii.

kkslider5552000

I'm mixed because on one hand, I do agree that going for gamers is the way to go, but on the other hand, what gamer in 2014 find TV ads to be that relevant? Is there a single person here who bought a single Wii U game because of the commercials specifically. I really doubt it. And this ad is not for them, they have plenty of ways to get gamers on board. For that matter, I've seen more and more gamers with large audiences talk about how good Wii U is as a console, which in the Youtube age is significant. As long as I see more Youtube ads for Smash Bros instead of this, it's fine.

These ads are not for you. It's pretty obvious that in order to reach a mass audience (which you need to for a major console) they are going for kids and adults that grew up with Nintendo. This makes the most sense to me. With Nintendo doing what they can to advertise games like Bravely Default and Bayonetta 2, I honestly feel they know what they're doing at this point and I hope to God quality can win out.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

sub12 wrote:

Yep. If your games are preferred by a certain audience, focusing on such games will do that job.

If Nintendo really wants to show off the Gamepad or Amiibo, then show that feature off as something fun. But they need to stop focusing on this stereotypical family unit and all the "family fun" they are having. Not only does it barely exist, it sends the message to people who don't have that unit that "this system isn't for you".

I have a pretty functional and strong family unit. Me, my dad, and both my sisters play video games. But we never all play video games together. It's either myself alone, my sister alone, me and my sister, my dad alone, or me and my dad.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

IceClimbers

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm mixed because on one hand, I do agree that going for gamers is the way to go, but on the other hand, what gamer in 2014 find TV ads to be that relevant? Is there a single person here who bought a single Wii U game because of the commercials specifically. I really doubt it. And this ad is not for them, they have plenty of ways to get gamers on board. For that matter, I've seen more and more gamers with large audiences talk about how good Wii U is as a console, which in the Youtube age is significant. As long as I see more Youtube ads for Smash Bros instead of this, it's fine.

These ads are not for you. It's pretty obvious that in order to reach a mass audience (which you need to for a major console) they are going for kids and adults that grew up with Nintendo. This makes the most sense to me. With Nintendo doing what they can to advertise games like Bravely Default and Bayonetta 2, I honestly feel they know what they're doing at this point and I hope to God quality can win out.

Agreed. Us gamers will find out about games ourselves. They don't need to advertise to us as much.

Nintendo used to run ads like this:
Untitled

Freeon-Leon

I want to believe Nintendo went that route because as of now all that's left is to advertise that demographic (the parents). Many gamers right now are aware of the Nintendo line up for this holidays, the E3 presentation did a great job IMO.

The Wii ads were amazing though

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I think targeting a "gamer" is the wrong approach too though. That's part of the problem that the PS3's advertising made. It targeted the stereotypical image of what Sony thought a gamer was. Targeting families to a degree is fine, but it should be done subtly in a "show, don't tell" kind of way like in the "Wii Would Like to Play" ads. In those ads they aren't bashing the idea that "this is family game time and we are all having so much fun" over people's heads. They simply showed a variety of age groups playing with a neat new looking device, and showed everyone having fun. No one is doing some super stereotypical thing like a soccer mom doing a stupid embarrassing victory dance, or a kid making juvenile expressions and outbursts.

sub12

iKhan wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Yep. If your games are preferred by a certain audience, focusing on such games will do that job.

If Nintendo really wants to show off the Gamepad or Amiibo, then show that feature off as something fun. But they need to stop focusing on this stereotypical family unit and all the "family fun" they are having. Not only does it barely exist, it sends the message to people who don't have that unit that "this system isn't for you".

I have a pretty functional and strong family unit. Me, my dad, and both my sisters play video games. But we never all play video games together. It's either myself alone, my sister alone, me and my sister, my dad alone, or me and my dad.

Also, I'm guessing it was the same for you, but as a kid in the 90's, game footage is what really ooed and awed me, I think footage of a stereotypical family unit would have been more of a turn off. The kid will be harassing the parent for what they want for Xmas, not the other way around, you should appeal to him or her, not strictly soccer moms....although I do get it.

sub12

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I think targeting a "gamer" is the wrong approach too though. That's part of the problem that the PS3's advertising made. It targeted the stereotypical image of what Sony thought a gamer was. Targeting families to a degree is fine, but it should be done subtly in a "show, don't tell" kind of way like in the "Wii Would Like to Play" ads. In those ads they aren't bashing the idea that "this is family game time and we are all having so much fun" over people's heads. They simply showed a variety of age groups playing with a neat new looking device, and showed everyone having fun. No one is doing some super stereotypical thing like a soccer mom doing a stupid embarrassing victory dance, or a kid making juvenile expressions and outbursts.

I don't disagree but the PS3 ads did work quite well. But that seemed less like it was targeting gamers and more targeting people that think modern video games are a cool thing and like the culture in some way or another. Which is simultaneously more and less broad of an appeal, depending on how you look at that. But I can't say it didn't work. It clearly did.

I would honestly suggest Nintendo having a second marketing campaign for gamers at the same time, but they might still feel burnt by how they tried to appeal to everyone last time...

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

I think the commercial is fine. Kids aren't going to care whether other kids are in the commercial. I never thought that way. I just figured I was a kid, too. These commercials don't even matter that much to people who keep up to date with gaming news, which are the people buying the most games, right now.

Internet is also way more accessible than it used to be. I was looking gaming stuff since N64 was around. There's a high chance that a lot of kids are aware that Wii U exists, but they have no chance of getting one until Christmas. That's how things are, and always have been.

Also, I've seen alot of Wii U commercials. I saw a handful of Smash Bros, Pokemon, Mario, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, Just Dance, Skylanders, and Spongebob, and I hardly ever watch TV. The situation isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Pikachu will be in Thanksgiving day parade, for the love of Jebus.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I don't disagree but the PS3 ads did work quite well. But that seemed less like it was targeting gamers and more targeting people that think modern video games are a cool thing and like the culture in some way or another. Which is simultaneously more and less broad of an appeal, depending on how you look at that. But I can't say it didn't work. It clearly did.

I would honestly suggest Nintendo having a second marketing campaign for gamers at the same time, but they might still feel burnt by how they tried to appeal to everyone last time...

I'm referring to early PS3 ads mostly, and they clearly didn't work, as the PS3 flopped hard early in it's life.

LzWinky

I just want to point out that this commercial is only played on networks for kids. It would not make sense to have a more mature commercial for the channel and times they are on

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

cookiex

iKhan wrote:

I'm referring to early PS3 ads mostly, and they clearly didn't work, as the PS3 flopped hard early in it's life.

Given that the events leading up to the PS3 launch were one PR disaster after another (plus FIVE-HUNDRED-AND-NINTY-NINE US DOLLARS) I don't think any marketing campaign would've helped much.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Inkling

IceClimbers wrote:

I still don't understand how Nintendo went from the marketing genius that was the "Wii would like to Play" campaign and the other early Wii and DS ads to no marketing for the Wii U. Like what happened?!

Fixed it for you

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

LzWinky

Inkling wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

I still don't understand how Nintendo went from the marketing genius that was the "Wii would like to Play" campaign and the other early Wii and DS ads to no marketing for the Wii U. Like what happened?!

Fixed it for you

Let me rephrase: Nintendo did market the Wii U when it came out. Fans just love to ignore that fact when they make accusations

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.