Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii Play U

Showing 1 to 20 of 20

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

1. Posted:

So I just had a couple of ideas for Wii Play U.

For pool, you could have like a virtual reality kind of pool table. You could use the gamepad to look around inside the room with a pool table. You could use like the couch to be the pool table. You could walk around the couch to walk around the pool table in the game. You would then use the gamepad to aim the cue and then press a button to hit the ball. Maybe even push the gamepad towards the ball to move the cue into the ball. I hope I explained this well enough.

The other idea is for a game like laser hockey. You could have two players each with a gamepad, They would stand on opposite sides of a room facing each other. The ball then starts in between the two players and starts flying around in the 3D space in between the two players. The gamepad would give you a view into the virtual room where you are batting the room back and forth. I'm imagining some sort of tron-style room with the black walls, floors and ceiling with the corners being lit up by neon lights. You would use the gamepad to hit the ball and the angle and speed at which you move the gamepad would determine which direction the ball goes in and how fast. Sort of like a 3D, first person view of the game.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

2. Posted:

Your first idea about moving around something isn't possible, the gamepad doesn't have the tech to tell where you are in a space. It would need some sort of tracking camera on the TV to do that.

I like the second idea, but I don't think it would work because, again, the gamepad cannot determine it's location in a space. It would have to work on the gyro, so if the object was coming towards you, you could pivot to block it. You wouldn't be able to take a step to the side, for example.

This is better suited with the 3DS, because it could use something similar to the AR cards. A really big AR card on a table would show up as a pool table that you can actually move around.

Edited on by willobee

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OdnetninAges

3. Posted:

In my opinion, Game & Wario is shaping up to be the "Wii Play" of the Wii U, with it's 16 Mini-Games (although, that's a bit more then Wii Play and Wii Play Motion) that show off the GamePad. Kinda like how Nintendo Land was the "Wii Sports" for Wii U.

Although, I still think there should be a Wii Sports U and a Wii Play U, despite this. Mainly because I want to play golf using that prototype of the GamePad showing the ball from e3 2011... And the other sports as well...

Console Usernames: Rc

LOL, NOPE

My 3DS needs to be repaired. It won't turn on anymore.

The Blue Blur VS. The Blue Bomber.

Miiverse Profile

NSLU Playthrough with friends

Check out Ninten-Times!

Brilliance

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kyloctopus

4. Posted:

To be honest, I'd rather have Wii Music U.

Past Names: Koops3, Klyo, Whirlpool, Titanics
If you're looking for a good Miiverse profile, do I have one for you!

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter: Kyloctopus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

5. Posted:

willobee wrote:

Your first idea about moving around something isn't possible, the gamepad doesn't have the tech to tell where you are in a space. It would need some sort of tracking camera on the TV to do that.

I like the second idea, but I don't think it would work because, again, the gamepad cannot determine it's location in a space. It would have to work on the gyro, so if the object was coming towards you, you could pivot to block it. You wouldn't be able to take a step to the side, for example.

This is better suited with the 3DS, because it could use something similar to the AR cards. A really big AR card on a table would show up as a pool table that you can actually move around.

Then what's the point of the geo-magnetic sensor? Because according to the aforementioned article, it's to be able to track the gamepad in a 3D space.


3DSonicPizzaHD wrote:

In my opinion, Game & Wario is shaping up to be the "Wii Play" of the Wii U, with it's 16 Mini-Games (although, that's a bit more then Wii Play and Wii Play Motion) that show off the GamePad. Kinda like how Nintendo Land was the "Wii Sports" for Wii U.

Although, I still think there should be a Wii Sports U and a Wii Play U, despite this. Mainly because I want to play golf using that prototype of the GamePad showing the ball from e3 2011... And the other sports as well...

I'm sure Nintendo will still do a Wii Play U along with Game & Wario. They did a Mario Sports Mix and Mario Golf along with Wii Sports on the Wii. So I think Nintendo feels there's room for both.


Whirlpool wrote:

To be honest, I'd rather have Wii Music U.

Untitled

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

6. Posted:

Whirlpool wrote:

To be honest, I'd rather have Wii Music U.

Absolutely. With the Wii U's online and built in mic, Wii Music U could be awesome.

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

7. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

Then what's the point of the geo-magnetic sensor? Because according to the aforementioned article, it's to be able to track the gamepad in a 3D space.

The tracking needed for the ideas listed for a Wii Play U need a different kind of motion tracking. The gamepad/wiimotes can understand what orientation they are in, be it pointing up, forwards, back, down, and everywhere in between. They can tell if they are pointing towards the sensor bar, and using that as a base, combine it with the gyro and accel to know how far off screen they are when you point beyond the sensor bars range. And they can also tell direction of swings, like if you move to the left, up, whatever.

What they cannot do is tell where they are in a space. The gamepad cannot determine if it is in the back corner of the room, glued to the ceiling, or right in the center of the room. Kinect can determine where someone is because of it's multiple cameras scanning depth. Move can tell where a controller is because it has a camera that locates the glowing orb and measures it's location on two planes, and then uses it's size to determine the third. The 3DS can use AR cards as a reference point to move around, using size and orientation to determine its relative location. WiiU gamepad and wiimotes can't do that, sadly. The closest they can do is tell distance from the sensor bar.

I bet this entire post will seem like a bunch of absurd rambling :p

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

8. Posted:

Well, that sucks.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadJV

9. Posted:

willobee wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

Then what's the point of the geo-magnetic sensor? Because according to the aforementioned article, it's to be able to track the gamepad in a 3D space.

The tracking needed for the ideas listed for a Wii Play U need a different kind of motion tracking. The gamepad/wiimotes can understand what orientation they are in, be it pointing up, forwards, back, down, and everywhere in between. They can tell if they are pointing towards the sensor bar, and using that as a base, combine it with the gyro and accel to know how far off screen they are when you point beyond the sensor bars range. And they can also tell direction of swings, like if you move to the left, up, whatever.

What they cannot do is tell where they are in a space. The gamepad cannot determine if it is in the back corner of the room, glued to the ceiling, or right in the center of the room. Kinect can determine where someone is because of it's multiple cameras scanning depth. Move can tell where a controller is because it has a camera that locates the glowing orb and measures it's location on two planes, and then uses it's size to determine the third. The 3DS can use AR cards as a reference point to move around, using size and orientation to determine its relative location. WiiU gamepad and wiimotes can't do that, sadly. The closest they can do is tell distance from the sensor bar.

I bet this entire post will seem like a bunch of absurd rambling :p

Everything you say the gamepad can do is accomplished from accelerometers and gyroscopes. Trust me, I've programmed for the Wii remote and had to learn all about it in one of my game design classes. But I am certain the gamepad, unlike Wii remotes, has geo-magnetic sensors. What then does that do?

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

10. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Whirlpool wrote:

To be honest, I'd rather have Wii Music U.

Absolutely. With the Wii U's online and built in mic, Wii Music U could be awesome.

I did appreciate Wii Music's experimental approach, but I'd totally dig another game like DDR Mario Mix (except harder). I've made it well known I'm a sucker for rhythm games, but Wii Music wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I didn't hate it though. That seems to be reserved for Just Dance.

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

11. Posted:

ShadJV wrote:

Everything you say the gamepad can do is accomplished from accelerometers and gyroscopes. Trust me, I've programmed for the Wii remote and had to learn all about it in one of my game design classes. But I am certain the gamepad, unlike Wii remotes, has geo-magnetic sensors. What then does that do?

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/28/wii-u-gamepad-is-a-nine-axis-...

” [The gyro and accelerometer] are good at tracking relativistic change. But it doesn’t tell you absolutely where you’re pointing and where the pointer is. What the magnetic sensor does is use the Earth’s magnetic field as a reference. It can always guide [the GamePad] back to what the absolute position is.”

It's basically makes the tracking more precise.

Edited on by willobee

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

12. Posted:

The geo-magnetic sensor helps improve the motion tracking.

I suppose my ideas could still work if you just used the joysticks to move around.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OdnetninAges

13. Posted:

willobee wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

Then what's the point of the geo-magnetic sensor? Because according to the aforementioned article, it's to be able to track the gamepad in a 3D space.

The tracking needed for the ideas listed for a Wii Play U need a different kind of motion tracking. The gamepad/wiimotes can understand what orientation they are in, be it pointing up, forwards, back, down, and everywhere in between. They can tell if they are pointing towards the sensor bar, and using that as a base, combine it with the gyro and accel to know how far off screen they are when you point beyond the sensor bars range. And they can also tell direction of swings, like if you move to the left, up, whatever.

What they cannot do is tell where they are in a space. The gamepad cannot determine if it is in the back corner of the room, glued to the ceiling, or right in the center of the room. Kinect can determine where someone is because of it's multiple cameras scanning depth. Move can tell where a controller is because it has a camera that locates the glowing orb and measures it's location on two planes, and then uses it's size to determine the third. The 3DS can use AR cards as a reference point to move around, using size and orientation to determine its relative location. WiiU gamepad and wiimotes can't do that, sadly. The closest they can do is tell distance from the sensor bar.

I bet this entire post will seem like a bunch of absurd rambling :p

That's very interesting! I did not know that.

I also didn't know that the Wii™'s Sensor Bar is basically two lights until a friend pointed it out to me, and we were successfully able to start a game without the Sensor Bar or Classic Controller™ by using two plug in lights.

Console Usernames: Rc

LOL, NOPE

My 3DS needs to be repaired. It won't turn on anymore.

The Blue Blur VS. The Blue Bomber.

Miiverse Profile

NSLU Playthrough with friends

Check out Ninten-Times!

Brilliance

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

14. Posted:

Candles have also been demonstrated to work. I think it's pretty neat, though I still use sensor bars for convenience.

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

15. Posted:

I used to point the remote at the window when the sun was shining through it, and I could usually point at something on a menu screen and select it, but it's definitely not something I would do while playing a FPS.

But sensor bars are indeed the most convenient way to play.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

16. Posted:

For the couch idea, what about people who have their couch against a wall and can't walk all the way around it.

Currently playing: inFamous: Second Son Gonna I've 100% it. Now just running around and doing the paper trail DLC.
Backlog: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Civilization 5: Gods and Kings, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CrazyOtto

17. Posted:

To be honest, I think we'll see a Wii U equivalent of everything from the Wii series. We already got Wii Fit U and Wii Party U coming. We'll probably see Wii Sports U, Wii Play U, and even Wii Music U.

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I help keep these threads updated: New 3DS VC games in Japan, Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, and Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

18. Posted:

Jaz007 wrote:

For the couch idea, what about people who have their couch against a wall and can't walk all the way around it.

Coffee table? Just an empty area on the floor? It was just an example.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

19. Posted:

I do think a better billiards game than the Wii Play one would be in order - something that supports motion-plus for better tracking of shot power would be ace!

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BandG

20. Posted:

Whatever happens if they make this game... all i want is Tanks

Super Smash Bros. Can't Wait!

Nintendo Network ID: Waterwraith