Wii U Forum

Topic: Why would anyone go digital on the Wii U? And have you?

Showing 61 to 80 of 147

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

61. Posted:

@skywake
There's always going to be a large market for physical copies of games, and I think if anything, games (At least on the PS4 and Xone) have shifted away from digital, with 50GB launch titles. Good luck downloading that with any sort of a bandwidth cap, or a slow internet connection. Even with music, you can still buy an album physical if you want. There's nothing, that I can think of, that's ever going to replace an old-fashioned tangible copy of your favorite games.

Not to mention, a pure digital gaming would just be a hollow shell. Imagine if older consoles had been pure digital machines, A Link to the Past, Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII, would basically be ghosts, unplayable by virtually anyone today (Unless they happened to still be on somebody's hard drive). People who want to keep the games that they love for the ages have only one choice, and that's a physical copy that isn't tied to servers. Not to mention the people who want to loan their games, the people who want to rent their games, people who want to trade their games, people who want to sell their games, among others. Unless digital distribution as we know it changes completely reinvents itself, these people will continue to buy solely physical games.

And at the core of things, in what way is digital a superior format than a physical copy? It's slight convenience at the expense of only partially owning your games.

Do I think digital will go away completely? No, not that I can see of, but I think if anything, the "digital only future" will seem pretty silly to gamers 30 years from now.

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

62. Posted:

In 30 years games will be way too huge to run off slow disc drives. You can see how lame framerates, glitches and load times are nowadays so it will only get worse unless they make super sonic speed disc drives... The only problem with that idea is the heat produced would melt your CD's and consoles ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

63. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

There's always going to be a large market for physical copies of games, and I think if anything, games (At least on the PS4 and Xone) have shifted away from digital, with 50GB launch titles. Good luck downloading that with any sort of a bandwidth cap, or a slow internet connection. Even with music, you can still buy an album physical if you want. There's nothing, that I can think of, that's ever going to replace an old-fashioned tangible copy of your favorite games.

You're thinking about right now rather than in the medium term and you're talking to a person who lives in Australia. Australia's the land of slow internet connections and bandwidth caps so don't go acting like I don't understand. I did also mention that I still buy physical copies of music and movies did I not? As I said, games are a different sort of media. There's no degradation in quality, there's less attachment to the content and there's a very strong grey market that's chewing into long term sales. So yes, that's where we're going and I think it would be foolish to ignore the inevitability of it.

8BitSamurai wrote:

Not to mention, a pure digital gaming would just be a hollow shell. Imagine if older consoles had been pure digital machines, A Link to the Past, Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII, would basically be ghosts, unplayable by virtually anyone today (Unless they happened to still be on somebody's hard drive). People who want to keep the games that they love for the ages have only one choice, and that's a physical copy that isn't tied to servers. Not to mention the people who want to loan their games, the people who want to rent their games, people who want to trade their games, people who want to sell their games, among others. Unless digital distribution as we know it changes completely reinvents itself, these people will continue to buy solely physical games.

Sounds like a bit of paranoia more than anything. I own my copy of Portal just as much as my copy of Super Mario Galaxy and I can still play both of them. I can also still play my copy of World of Goo that I got on WiiWare when that was a brand new thing. Digital also allows me to download games like A Link to the Past on VC so it's hardly something that's "lost" because it's not physical. If anything physical disks are more vulnerable than the copies stored in RAID on random servers that are duplicated across servers in server farms that are also duplicated.

Also if one company is particularly restrictive with their DRM, like EA's constant requirement for online in Sim City, then I'll simply refuse to buy content from them. That's what competition is all about, if we don't like what someone offers collectively then someone else will do better and the first guy will lose our business. See XBone. Valve in particular are fairly saintly in that regard.

8BitSamurai wrote:

And at the core of things, in what way is digital a superior format than a physical copy? It's slight convenience at the expense of only partially owning your games..

Convenience yes, that's the majority of it and not a trivial thing. Also flexibility: http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SphericalCrusher

64. Posted:

I have not, but I know people who have. I do have a 2TB external HDD for my WiiU, but have yet to need to use it (I have four pages of games/apps on WiiU also). I prefer discs.

Twitch.tv/SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter: th3crush3r

AuthorMessage
Avatar

muftu

65. Posted:

I will never buy a digital version of a game I can buy retail - I can always buy the games cheaper in store, I can sell the game, if I am done playing it, or I did not like it (though I rarely sell anything, maybe every 30th game). If we will be forced to buy digital only, I will abandon consoles and switch back to PC, where the digital sales are at least for competitive prices. How else could MS still be selling Halo Reach for 149.99€ or Nintendo making a huge price cut for SC: Blacklist making it finally at least the same price as it was in retail stores at launch. So unless there is a huge change in selling policy I will gladly stick to the good old

FC: 0731-6199-4722

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sevex

66. Posted:

I'm finding some great deals on physical copies of Wii U games that I doubt I'll ever get digital. (Nintendoland for $20, and my brother found Resident Evil: Revelations for $15.)

sevex

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

67. Posted:

muftu wrote:

I will never buy a digital version of a game I can buy retail - I can always buy the games cheaper in store, I can sell the game, if I am done playing it, or I did not like it (though I rarely sell anything, maybe every 30th game). If we will be forced to buy digital only, I will abandon consoles and switch back to PC, where the digital sales are at least for competitive prices. How else could MS still be selling Halo Reach for 149.99€ or Nintendo making a huge price cut for SC: Blacklist making it finally at least the same price as it was in retail stores at launch. So unless there is a huge change in selling policy I will gladly stick to the good old

Just to clear up the confusion, Ubisoft is in charge of SC's price

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

68. Posted:

The fact that there's less overhead on digital is precisely why Steam can have their prices as low as they are. As it is the console manufacturers have to keep retailers happy by not undercutting them. If they started to undercut the retailers then they'd stop selling as many physical copies. Less physical copies sold means less shelf space and shelf space is everything when trying to convince potential buyers your platform has content. PC gaming doesn't have that problem, it's an open and ever evolving platform that people are already invested into.

Same with the used game sales argument. Used games kill the profitability of certain kinds of games which creates this continuous release cycle model we see and also bumps up the price. It is technically possible to have a digital licencing system that allows you to "sell back" your "used" licence after purchase. Then the next guy buys a "new" copy but with higher discounts on "new" and with all of the money going back to the developer. Valve is pushing this sort of model already, if it proves popular expect it to stick.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

69. Posted:

I am not 100% digital but there are some great games digitally. Many games that are available digitally wouldn't see the light of day on disc. If there was no digital platform then 3DS owners wouldn't have gotten to play the new ace attorney. I think once companies understand digital Wii U might get more attention as companies won't have to waste money on boxes and store shelves.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

70. Posted:

why would anyone go digital?

probably because they feel like it.

it's a valid enough reason. that's my reason for not having gone digital, because i don't feel like it. it's part of having the freedom to choose :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MikeLove

71. Posted:

I have only purchased two digital games that were available at retail.

Super Luigi U, as its just glorified DLC, and Animal Crossing for the 3DS. Though it was handy at the time, after about three months I was so completely tired of Animal Crossing it made me regret I went digital for it. I could have sold it in August for $25-30 easily online had I went retail. Oh well, that green leaf icon will continue to sit on my 3DS home screen as a reminder to never purchase a retail title in digital format again!

MikeLove

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

72. Posted:

@skywake
So PC physical copies are already basically dead, then? I understand physical copies will always exist at retail, but that's beside the point that PC has already been in a similar situation. The only difference is that people weren't throwing as much of a fit for PC.

The reason why Steam is so much cheaper is because it's a digital only platform. As you can see here, not everyone wants to buy digital copies from a home console because it can't compare to Steam pricing, but Steam is how it is now, because it gave up physical copies for the most part.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UTXGamer

73. Posted:

For 1st party games I think going digital makes a bit more sense. Nintendo's games don't tend to drop quickly in price or very much(if at all):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword...

However, they usually have a lot of replay value so people don't sell them as quickly.

For 3rd party games, buying retail makes sense. Price usually drops a lot faster and replay value isn't as high.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/AgentCarmichael

Nintendo Network ID: AgentCarmichael

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pixelman

74. Posted:

I've bought a couple first party games digitally since they'll pretty much never drop significantly in price, and I like the convenience of owning games digitally.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bezerker99

75. Posted:

I can see the convenience of digitally downloading games. However, I am not one to do so and I only download games when they aren't available elsewhere. I work right next to a Gamestop and if I ever want a game I know is coming out soon, I simply walk there and preorder/reserve it.

I like having physical boxes of my gaming shelf mainly because I've been doing this my whole life....heck - I still have some NES games on display. Whenever I have company over, I like for them to notice my...."physical media" :winky: I also have my DVDs and books on display in the same manner.

I will buy digital if that's the only option for a game. If I had known this game was being made as a physical release I would have waited on it. But, at the time, it was digital only - so I downloaded it.

Anyways, it's just personal preference is all. :*

Edited on by bezerker99

"Everybody gets old, but not everybody gets great!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
My name in a video game.

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morpheel

76. Posted:

The ducktales game is still just a download code in a box right?

You could keep the box and give the code to a friend or something.

Oops, no username pun.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

77. Posted:

Morpheel wrote:

The ducktales game is still just a download code in a box right?

You could keep the box and give the code to a friend or something.

if they started doing it like this I'd probably go all digital. since the manuals got useless and boring only boxes(and the fact you don't need to "upgrade" the memory) make phisical worth it

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

78. Posted:

I'm all-digital on the Wii U and it rocks. The digital deluxe promotion is awesome (constant 10% rebate on all purchases, basically), and if you wait for sales just like you do for a retail store, you can come pretty darn close to paying as little as some of the best sales I've seen. Sure, the eShop is no Steam when it comes to daily specials, so you do need a bit of patience. It's wonderfully convenient having all of my games in one place and not having to swap out discs all the time, and with so many smaller digital games becoming popular, it's not uncommon for me to spend 10 minutes or so on three or four different games in a single play session.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bezerker99

79. Posted:

Morpheel wrote:

The ducktales game is still just a download code in a box right?

You could keep the box and give the code to a friend or something.

I know what you are referring too and, apparently, this isn't that. This is actually a physical disc release. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/ducktales_remastered...

"Everybody gets old, but not everybody gets great!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
My name in a video game.

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99

AuthorMessage
Avatar

10000mario

80. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

I'm all-digital on the Wii U and it rocks. The digital deluxe promotion is awesome (constant 10% rebate on all purchases, basically), and if you wait for sales just like you do for a retail store, you can come pretty darn close to paying as little as some of the best sales I've seen. Sure, the eShop is no Steam when it comes to daily specials, so you do need a bit of patience. It's wonderfully convenient having all of my games in one place and not having to swap out discs all the time, and with so many smaller digital games becoming popular, it's not uncommon for me to spend 10 minutes or so on three or four different games in a single play session.

me too, I actually went out of my way and sold nintendo land and then downloaded it just cause I wanted all digital games. I think it's great, if there is a game coming out that I want then there is no need to preorder and then hope they have the game in the store on release day (that happened to me before, i didn't get the game for a few days later). I just stay up to midnight, buy, and go to bed. Then next morning, BOOM! Right on my home menu. Easy as pie... Or mayonaise...

10000mario