Wii U Forum

Topic: Why would anyone go digital on the Wii U? And have you?

Showing 121 to 140 of 147

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

121. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

@WaveDuckula

I finished the hard difficulty level in a few hours... Not as good as the old school NES one ;)

DuckTales remastered I'd say looks worse than the original. Whoopdeedoo, so the game got a new visual face lift, it's the constant in-game uneccassary interrupting text/character chit chat that looks annoying. This reminds of me of Castle of Illusion for the 3DS all over again. :P But whatever, you don't see these types of games resurface like a funky case of battle toads zits too often, gotta get it! :*

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

122. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

@WaveDuckula

I finished the hard difficulty level in a few hours... Not as good as the old school NES one ;)

DuckTales remastered I'd say looks worse than the original. Whoopdeedoo, so the game got a new visual face lift, it's the constant in-game uneccassary interrupting text/character chit chat that looks annoying. This reminds of me of Castle of Illusion for the 3DS all over again. :P But whatever, you don't see these types of games resurface like a funky case of battle toads zits too often, gotta get it! :*

They didn't mention in the press release that pressing start to go to a menu to skip cutscenes was gonna be a major part of the gameplay mechanic ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

123. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

This is at least reasonably true, until the servers go down, and I did not say it wasn't. However, I have no problem locating out-of-print games for reasonable prices (Usually lower than digital still) physically.

iTunes can be up perpetually as long as it's profitable, as for games, systems operate on a generation by generation level. Server shutdown is inevitable after they discontinue the system, when the upkeep costs are no longer practical.

And music from Tambalane, Jimmy Chamberlin Complex and Bardot are more practical to keep on the iTunes store? You're thinking about the servers that keep online play going, which does have diminishing returns, and not the stores. Entirely different things. The upkeep costs are minimal when nobody is really wanting to download them anymore. It's just a bit of space on a handful of HDDs duplicated across a bunch of servers. The cost is minimal in comparison to the trust/reputation gained from having a large backlog available at the fingertips of users.

Also, do you seriously think that companies are really going to try and avoid having as much of their back catalog available as possible? They don't want you to go to some grey market to get your used content. They want you to buy it from their stores because they make no money on used products. Their intent to make easy money from an old product and the trust/reputation that they can gain from having the back catalog available is what'll keep digital secure.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

124. Posted:

@FutureAlphaMale
Ya, you're paying $10 more because you traded in. That $10 difference builds up. That's why I'm saying that you'll eventually have paid well over what you did originally for ONE copy of a game. After losing a certain amount of money, you paid alot of money for one game.

Wouldn't it have been better to buy 1 or 2 games you actually want to keep instead of trading in all the time?

@8BitSamarai
You're being a bit shortsighted. You assume Nintendo's account system will always be the way it is, currently. Just by word of the Miiverse and shared funds announcement, it's becoming pretty clear that they want their systems to be more connected than ever before.

Like @skywake said, they aren't going to put all this effort into a digital storefront, then just let it go down the drain over time, in regards to the servers.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

125. Posted:

The three 8th gen consoles were pretty much made in mind for digital games versus going with discs. Thing like being able to play the game whole its downloading, jumping into games like the Xbox and PS4 has shown us, and a lot of the social features just ozze that they're made with digital content in mind.

Anyone else bummed out that the Mario+Luigi U bundle comes with a disc and not a download code like the Zelda bundle.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

126. Posted:

@Sony_70
I think those digital codes are alot more convenient and worthwhile than the discs, honestly. Putting a digital code in the box could very well determine whether you get a game in a console bundle at all, so I don't think people are entirely getting the point on why they're getting a digital file vs. a disc.

Anyone who bought the Wind Waker HD bundle wouldn't have gotten the Hyrule Historia if it would have been the book version. I can tell you that much.

I think the New Super Mario/Luigi U bundle being on a disc is probably just because both of those items are separate on the eShop. It's alot easier in that case(to avoid confusion) to include both things on one disc.

At this point though, there shouldn't be any complaints. I bought a Wii U at launch for $350 plus tax, NSMB.U, ZombiU, CoD Duty Black Ops II, and a couple indie games for around $550. Any of these deals will obviously look like a better deal than what I paid, and I've enjoyed my system for the entirety that I've had it.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

127. Posted:

@skywake
I feel like I've already answered this. Consoles are generation by generation, iTunes is not. We're already seeing what I'm talking about happening with Commodore 64 games , and the DKC trilogy on the Virtual Console, these titles are no longer available for purchasing and the system is still technically in continuation. We can even go back further with the shutdown of the Xbox Live servers on the original Xbox., if these servers would cost nothing to upkeep, why did Microsoft shut down the servers for paid content? Of course, it wasn't as big of a thing back then as it was now, but still, that means the upkeep costs should have been even lower. The problem is further compounded by the inevitability of game companies going bankrupt, and their assets flying every which way. You claim that no self-respecting game company would remove paid content servers, since the upkeep costs would be minimal, but we've already seen it happen.

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

128. Posted:

@8BitSamarai
iTunes being carried over generation to generation is probably why Apple products never seem to get better. You can have an iPhone from 2008 and still run almost all of the same software as an iPhone 3G.

On a software level, Apple is stuck in 2005, so I wouldn't say keeping iTunes is exactly a good example on how tp keep digital files intact. There needs to be an update somewhere, somehow.

Nintendo has probably made a program to convert the original games into VC files. That something that would have never been accomplished if Nintendo had just uploaded the Wii VC, as is. The Wii U VC and digital as a whole as grown since iTunes really became popular.

As far as I'm aware, you still have to pay to get your songs made into ringtones on Apple devices. It makes no sense, because Apple is technically charging you for something that could be done without a network at all.

EDIT: In otherwords, Nintendo has probably found a way to convert older games directly to the Wii U format, instead of coverting to the the Wii format, then to the Wii U fornat. All this stuff takes programming to make a system consistent and reliable, so it's not exactly as easy as alot of people make it out to be. Now imagine throwing a netwrok into the mix.
I think Nintendo will be able to pull off a cloud system better than Apple.
Since Wii U and 3DS have spotpass and streetpass functions, you'd be be able to send save data directly to your system over a network or locally instead of relying on the servers to hold the data. More facts to give you an idea that Apple hardly has a clue what the hell they're doing anymore.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

129. Posted:

@8BitSamurai
You can still download DKC games if you're purchased them on the Wii VC. I know this because I did purchase them before they were discontinued, transferred my Wii to my Wii U and had to redownload my stuffs. DKC was the first game I downloaded and it did let me download it.

As for generational I've already explained that extensively. Explain to me how winners from long forgotten talent shows who had their 15mins of fame ten years ago are less "generational" for a start. That would be a great start. Then also explain how a company like Nintendo would be better off financially by pissing off customers in that way.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

130. Posted:

skywake wrote:

You can still download DKC games if you're purchased them on the Wii VC. I know this because I did purchase them before they were discontinued, transferred my Wii to my Wii U and had to redownload my stuffs. DKC was the first game I downloaded and it did let me download it.

Did I even say re-download? No, I said purchase.

skywake wrote:

As for generational I've already explained that extensively. Explain to me how winners from long forgotten talent shows who had their 15mins of fame ten years ago are less "generational" for a start.

That would be the equivalent of selling old games on the Virtual Console, not selling old games on the old consoles

skywake wrote:

That would be a great start. Then also explain how a company like Nintendo would be better off financially by pissing off customers in that way.

Microsoft already did it. If they've discontinued the system, why is it any more preposterous for them to discontinue their services along with it? Especially considering how easily retro gamers can be written off as a vocal minority.

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

131. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

There are no games within the last decade that I would consider a classic worth tracking down to play again... You don't see anyone wanting to play the first COD nowadays do you, didn't think so ;)

The original COD is way better than anything since and including that Modern Warfare crap. At least it has an interesting story. And thankfully Aspyr ported it to current versions of OS X, so I can run it without an emulator or old hardware. Brilliant!

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

132. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Did I even say re-download? No, I said purchase.

I assumed you were making a point about the reasons why you wouldn't want to purchase content digitally. How you're worried about the rights being stripped away from you and not being able to play the game anymore. If you can still play it and still download the game then what's the problem? You can't download DKC on the VC now if you haven't purchased it but if you haven't purchased it you haven't purchased it. No rights have been taken away.

but hey, if you want to be pedantic in an effort to maintain this argument then go ahead. I won't be here to respond :)

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

133. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

There are no games within the last decade that I would consider a classic worth tracking down to play again... You don't see anyone wanting to play the first COD nowadays do you, didn't think so ;)

The original COD is way better than anything since and including that Modern Warfare crap. At least it has an interesting story. And thankfully Aspyr ported it to current versions of OS X, so I can run it without an emulator or old hardware. Brilliant!

Still not as good as Activisions first war game though ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

134. Posted:

skywake wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Did I even say re-download? No, I said purchase.

I assumed you were making a point about the reasons why you wouldn't want to purchase content digitally. How you're worried about the rights being stripped away from you and not being able to play the game anymore. If you can still play it and still download the game then what's the problem? You can't download DKC on the VC now if you haven't purchased it but if you haven't purchased it you haven't purchased it. No rights have been taken away.

but hey, if you want to be pedantic in an effort to maintain this argument then go ahead. I won't be here to respond :)

My problems are A) If they can remove it from purchasing, they can remove it period. (And it's not a matter of rights, you forfeit those in the ToS) and B) If you didn't purchase it, you're out of luck.

But, I'm heading out now. Cya thread!

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

135. Posted:

@8bitSamarai
You're wrong though. The Terms of Service is validating both YOUR rights, and THEIRS. The terms of service technically applies to discs as well, because the terms of service includes that you won't copy or distribute the game illegally(piracy). If they see that you somehow managed to rip the ROM off of your HDD, that's when there's a problem.

The only advantage you would have by using a disc is that you can rip the files without being on a Nintendo system while doing so. Again, this has to do with piracy, and they will still figure out where you are. Everyone says they won't pirate stuff, but it always ends up happening. That's why the terms of service exist.

You don't forfeit your rights in the terms of service. Saying that just proves that you haven't a clue what it means.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

136. Posted:

@SCAR392
There is no need to drag this thread into oblivion. What I am talking about has absolutely nothing to do with being able to pirate or rip the game whatsoever. What I meant when I said that is that you forfeit the ability to do a lot of the things you could do with a physically based game. When you agree to the ToS you acknowledge that the game is tied to their servers, you agree that they can revoke your license if they see fit, and you agree that you cannot sell the game, give it or loan it to your friends, or whatever you might want to do with it that you would legally be allowed to do with a disc (Provided you don't sign something at the game store or something). I explained this pages ago. Seriously, if you don't believe me, just go to the e-Shop and read it. This debate is over, can we just let it go to the back pages of internet forums in peace?

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

137. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

@SCAR392
There is no need to drag this thread into oblivion. What I am talking about has absolutely nothing to do with being able to pirate or rip the game whatsoever. What I meant when I said that is that you forfeit the ability to do a lot of the things you could do with a physically based game. When you agree to the ToS you acknowledge that the game is tied to their servers, you agree that they can revoke your license if they see fit, and you agree that you cannot sell the game, give it or loan it to your friends, or whatever you might want to do with it that you would legally be allowed to do with a disc (Provided you don't sign something at the game store or something). I explained this pages ago. Seriously, if you don't believe me, just go to the e-Shop and read it. This debate is over, can we just let it go to the back pages of internet forums in peace?

By connecting your console to the internet you run the risk of Nintendo Bricking your system. So if you don't trade in often and don't lend out your games I see no added negative to going full digital. On PC I am full digital. The only reason why I am not full digital on consoles is because I don't like how a new console generation affects your old downloads (mainly new generations not being backward compatible), part of the reason I picked Wii U over Xbone and PS4 (plus I enjoy Nintendo games the most)

Edited on by DefHalan

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

138. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

By connecting your console to the internet you run the risk of Nintendo Bricking your system. So if you don't trade in often and don't lend out your games I see no added negative to going full digital. On PC I am full digital. The only reason why I am not full digital on consoles is because I don't like how a new console generation affects your old downloads, part of the reason I picked Wii U over Xbone and PS4 (plus I enjoy Nintendo games the most)

Unless you agreed that Nintendo can brick your system, or it was something you did yourself (Unplugged it while it was downloading), Nintendo bricking your system for no reason would be the equivalent of asking "Can you sue me?"

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

139. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

By connecting your console to the internet you run the risk of Nintendo Bricking your system. So if you don't trade in often and don't lend out your games I see no added negative to going full digital. On PC I am full digital. The only reason why I am not full digital on consoles is because I don't like how a new console generation affects your old downloads, part of the reason I picked Wii U over Xbone and PS4 (plus I enjoy Nintendo games the most)

Unless you agreed that Nintendo can brick your system, or it was something you did yourself (Unplugged it while it was downloading), Nintendo bricking your system for no reason would be the equivalent of asking "Can you sue me?"

The point is if you don't follow Nintendo's terms they can stop you from playing games unless you don't connect your console to the internet then you don't have to worry

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

140. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

By connecting your console to the internet you run the risk of Nintendo Bricking your system. So if you don't trade in often and don't lend out your games I see no added negative to going full digital. On PC I am full digital. The only reason why I am not full digital on consoles is because I don't like how a new console generation affects your old downloads, part of the reason I picked Wii U over Xbone and PS4 (plus I enjoy Nintendo games the most)

Unless you agreed that Nintendo can brick your system, or it was something you did yourself (Unplugged it while it was downloading), Nintendo bricking your system for no reason would be the equivalent of asking "Can you sue me?"

The point is if you don't follow Nintendo's terms they can stop you from playing games unless you don't connect your console to the internet then you don't have to worry

This is actually pretty much exactly what I said... Nowhere do you agree that connecting an unmodified system allows Nintendo to brick your system for no reason.

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai