Wii U Forum

Topic: Why would anyone go digital on the Wii U? And have you?

Showing 101 to 120 of 147

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

101. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DarkwingLz wrote:

And what happens if that one breaks? Are you willing to drop yet another $150 on another one?

Hate to break it to you, but those high prices are due to rarity and because its a collectible.
If someone wants to own a physical copy that expensive, it's because they are a collector. All of those rare games can be obtained in minutes and played on emulators if their only desire is to 'play' the game. A digital file has no value.

So basically you're saying that digital is the way to go if you want to play old games. Even if it's with illegal ways.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

102. Posted:

Morpheel wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DarkwingLz wrote:

And what happens if that one breaks? Are you willing to drop yet another $150 on another one?

Hate to break it to you, but those high prices are due to rarity and because its a collectible.
If someone wants to own a physical copy that expensive, it's because they are a collector. All of those rare games can be obtained in minutes and played on emulators if their only desire is to 'play' the game. A digital file has no value.

So basically you're saying that digital is the way to go if you want to play old games. Even if it's with illegal ways.

I guess he means that since digital never "runs out of stock" it only becomes a rarity if the legal distribution ends(and in this case no price is enough legally since it is not for sale anymore)

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

103. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

I find that digital supporters are all round better people in life that help keep the industry alive ;)

Untitled

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

104. Posted:

Does anyone here realize that their disc copy of the game still has digital files on it? The difference is whether you're keeping those digital files on a disc or an HDD. The files are exactly the same on either physical device.

The only thing that's relevant in this argument is price value of the product. Value includes the case, instruction manual, and DRM. You can save memory by deleting or backing up files elsewhere with an HDD. A disc "traps" it's files on to itself for all of eternity.

That's why there's more reason for Nintendo to improve their account system if this stuff really matters. At the end of the day, this is sn "extracurricular" activity for me.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

105. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

DRM

sorry for my dumbness and lazyness but could someone give me a short explanation on what's DRM, I googled it but all explanations I found are long and I'm not in the mood for reading giant blocks of text....

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ashlyquin

106. Posted:

The ONLY way digital will truly be of ANY true value, is the day I can " transfer" the game from one system to another...... otherwise...... physical carts all the way (unless its an indy game or a digital only availability issued)

Online during weekdays......

OUT

3DS Friend Code: 1332-7995-0970 | Nintendo Network ID: ashlyquin123

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

107. Posted:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

DRM

sorry for my dumbness and lazyness but could someone give me a short explanation on what's DRM, I googled it but all explanations I found are long and I'm not in the mood for reading giant blocks of text....

DRM stand for Digital Rights Management.

Usually it means there are restrictions to what you can and can't do with your digital purchaces.

DRM could very well include game sharing between a set amount of devices, cloud, etc. As it is currently, Nintendo doesn't offer game sharing or any other data options with your digital purchases, but that doesn't mean it's totally out of the line of question.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

108. Posted:

@SCAR392 thanks! now I understood!

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

109. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Untitled
I foresee a future with systems that don't have disc drives... Soon you will be required to fall in line with the superior digital master race ;)

When this occurs next generation I guess all physical supporters are just gonna have to suck it up and ↓
Untitled

Isn't that a bad thing though. I mean i'm a proponent of digital content, but all digital for gaming just isn't viable at all. We'd still need HDD sizes to go down more and internet just isn't there and for a few countries will never be unless the ISPs go over a severe reboot soon.

Even than the biggest downside is once we go all digital what's keeping the big three from going to DRM heaven. We're already seeing a ton of online only games, and once something becomes digital only you lose the right to complain if everything does online only.

Remember digital games on consoles didn't have an all encompassing third party that was able to curb DRM and prices like Apple, Amazon, and Vavle were able to do.

Refer to the gif about #DEALING WITH IT ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

110. Posted:

Morpheel wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DarkwingLz wrote:

And what happens if that one breaks? Are you willing to drop yet another $150 on another one?

Hate to break it to you, but those high prices are due to rarity and because its a collectible.
If someone wants to own a physical copy that expensive, it's because they are a collector. All of those rare games can be obtained in minutes and played on emulators if their only desire is to 'play' the game. A digital file has no value.

So basically you're saying that digital is the way to go if you want to play old games. Even if it's with illegal ways.

If all you want to do is play the game and don't care about owning the cart as a collector/investment, then ya, go digital either legally or illegally (if the game can't be purchased).

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

111. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Does anyone here realize that their disc copy of the game still has digital files on it? The difference is whether you're keeping those digital files on a disc or an HDD. The files are exactly the same on either physical device.

How do you go about selling/trading/lending out your digitally downloaded files?

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

112. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Does anyone here realize that their disc copy of the game still has digital files on it? The difference is whether you're keeping those digital files on a disc or an HDD. The files are exactly the same on either physical device.

How do you go about selling/trading/lending out your digitally downloaded files?

I don't, and it's not because my games are in a digital format. I tend to keep anything new that I buy until it's absolutely worthless, and I don't have anyone to lend games to.

I'm not in a hurry to beat a game just to sell it back. By the time you lose $60 from trading or selling, you basically paid double for the next game you bought. You got money back from 1-4 titles prior(depending on the value), but you eventually have less than you could have just by keeping the games.

That's my take. More power to you if you want to trade, sell, or lend, but not everyone does that which isn't taken into consideration.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

113. Posted:

There are no games within the last decade that I would consider a classic worth tracking down to play again... You don't see anyone wanting to play the first COD nowadays do you, didn't think so ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

114. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

There are no games within the last decade that I would consider a classic worth tracking down to play again... You don't see anyone wanting to play the first COD nowadays do you, didn't think so ;)

I know people trying to track down Metroid Prime Trilogy and A Boy and His Blob. ;)

Edited on by DefHalan

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beetlejuice

115. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

By the time you lose $60 from trading or selling, you basically paid double for the next game you bought. You got money back from 1-4 titles prior(depending on the value), but you eventually have less than you could have just by keeping the games.

Huh?

I pay $60 for a game, I put 25-30hrs into it, I grow tired of it and think I would rather not own it any longer.
I trade it to a friend for another game straight up (which I can't do with the Wii-U, since no one I know owns one), or I sell it within 1-3 months of its release for $40-50 in an online ad or eBay. Then when I buy another game with my money, its only costing me an additional $10-20 for the next one. That means I'm effectively playing/owning two games for $70-80 rather than spending $120 for two.

How is that not a deal?

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

116. Posted:

@FutureAlphaMale
Yes but the developer makes absolutely no money on that used sale and so that used market forces them to jack up the initial price. If it was digital only then the market would force prices to drop. As I said in a previous post, games are one of the only media people do this with at this sort of scale. Its the reason for all of the main things people complain about. Yearly releases of similar games, first day DLC, a lack of original IPs etc, etc.

Also there are ways to sell the rights to your game back digitally and some are going down that road already. So saying we'd lose something out of it is a bit short sighted I think.

Sony_70 wrote:

Isn't that a bad thing though. I mean i'm a proponent of digital content, but all digital for gaming just isn't viable at all. We'd still need HDD sizes to go down more and internet just isn't there and for a few countries will never be unless the ISPs go over a severe reboot soon.

Games are doubling in size every five years or so, storage doubling in size every couple of years. A massive game is like 50GB and you can buy a drive that'll store 60 games of that size for like $130AU. If you look at the Wii U most of its games are in the 2-10GB range so... yeah... HDD space isn't an issue. They're throwing in 500GB drives in the first iterations of the PS4/XBOne, in theory next gen they'll have a good 5TB.

Same with internets. Again, Australian here and huge advocate for a particular plan to do fast 'nets here. So I sympathise with that a lot. Still things have progressed heaps and I don't exect them to stop. Personally I was on 256k with "unlimited" quotas when the 360 launched and realistically I could download maybe 25GB. Now I'm on 8Mbps and have a 250GB quota which I don't touch the sizes of. So less progress than storage, especially from here, but I don't think it's as big a barrier as people claim.

And if it is then.... well I guess people elected the wrong barsteward didn't they. That's those people who voted for him's fault ;)

Edited on by theblackdragon

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

117. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Yeah, that's bull. If I wanted to play Earthbound legally in Australia before the VC release I would have had to track down a North American SNES (a good $100-120 including postage). Then I would have had to find a copy of Earthbound (another ~$180 including postage). So that's a good $280AU to play Earthbound the old fashioned physical copy way. Alternatively I could buy a 32GB Wii U with Nintendo Land, New SMB U and New Super Luigi U then get Earthbound and pay $440AU. If it was on the Wii VC I'd be paying about $80 to play it now if that. Just throwing that out there.

This is true, because the Wii U Virtual Console servers are still up and running, when they go down, if you're going to want to play EarthBound on the VC, you're going to need to find somebody who still has the game on their system/drive, and buy the whole system from them. That will not be cheap or practical.

skywake wrote:

Also with a digital product scarcity is less of a thing. You're again making a big deal about servers dying and companies going bankrupt causing all licences to be revoked. This is the basis for your argument. In reality when a physical product doesn't sell they stop production and there's a low number of units in the wild. When a digital copy sells poorly they slash the price but keep it "on the shelves". So you can actually buy games that bombed years after the fact.

This is at least reasonably true, until the servers go down, and I did not say it wasn't. However, I have no problem locating out-of-print games for reasonable prices (Usually lower than digital still) physically.

skywake wrote:

As for longevity well iTunes has been up for a good decade without any massive deletion of people's rights to purchased content. Nintendo's shops have been open since 2006 and stuff I downloaded on day 1 is still there for me to redownload if I want. Even stuff that has since been removed from the shop (just Donkey Kong Country) is still available for me to redownload.

iTunes can be up perpetually as long as it's profitable, as for games, systems operate on a generation by generation level. Server shutdown is inevitable after they discontinue the system, when the upkeep costs are no longer practical.

skywake wrote:

Maybe a tad less sensationalism and a little bit more realism in your posts? Nintendo's eShop has problems (it's tied to the console, purchases on 3DS aren't recognised on Wii U) but the stuffs you're talking about are not the problems anyone should lose any sleep over.

I want great games to exist for as long as possible, and I want to have tangible copies of my games that I can do what I want with. If this is sensationalism, then I accept being a sensationalist with open arms.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

118. Posted:

Like I said a couple of pages ago this gen is gonna have some huge games that won't run properly off a disc so from now on you will be buying choppy framerate buggy glitchfests to add to your physical collection... Nobody will want to buy used poopiedongadinglesdorf versions at high prices on Ebay ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

119. Posted:

Gottta have that nice big 'physical' collection to gaze and reminisce over. Good thing WayForward came to their senses and are releasing this. ;)

Untitled

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

120. Posted:

@WaveDuckula

I finished the hard difficulty level in a few hours... Not as good as the old school NES one ;)

MAB