Forums

Topic: Why is the Wii U's library so lauded?

Posts 161 to 180 of 308

CaviarMeths

Centuries ago (2003, 10th grade), I read an essay by George Orwell on bad habits in modern English. Google was nice enough to find an online copy for me. The whole thing is interesting, but jumping down to his rules for expressive language near the bottom:

(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
(ii) Never use a long word where a short one will do.
(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.
(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Prophetic in many ways, Orwell foresaw the creation of the sesquipedalian loquaciousness page on TVTropes.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

JLPick

Wii U's game library is nothing but exclusives (with about a dozen being on multiple consoles). This is due to the fact that it is JUST nintendo making the games for it. Dreamcast did have an amazing library, but it wasn't so much the sales that were killing that, it was Sega themselves. Nintendo will need a lot of help on their next console, this is going for the fact that they'll really going to have to work on it, add the applications, add the exclusive indie and download titles, add a large library that does not just include their regular games that come out on all of their systems. Nintendo needs to really work on getting 3rd parties back, because in all honestly, they will help fill in the drought of the games being released and help give gamers that are not just nintendo fans, the opportunity for a more selection of titles. PS4 and XONE has a very small library right now, but by the end of this year, their library will be huge, and the games will continue to poor out, leaving the Wii U long past in the dust which it is currently in. I love the Wii U, but it will lose track in the race, and if nintendo continues down this road, their next console will do the same. I REALLY DO NOT want to see nintendo become like Atari or Sega...I want them to stay around for many more wonderful generations, but unless they start working at what needs to be worked on (older gamers and 3rd parties), they will end up in that boat in the long run, or we'll just see them as a handheld company. If they work on getting a bunch of titles out for their next console (On Launch Day, not months or years down the road), advertise the heck out of the system, show more than just E rated games, and have a strong library of different genres, then nintendo can make a strong comeback! Let's hope they do this for the company that I fell in love with since my youth...despite that I grew up more with the Atari 2600.

JLPick

skywake

Pahvi wrote:

But @skywake said that "As it is the Wii U is the best place for platformers and some of the more colourful adventure games and RPGs." Did you mean by RPGs only "untraditional" RPGs (i.e., every game with any character progression) or include VC as well, since I find it questionable to count XCX and SMTFE as worth anything since they're not out nor reviewed anywhere, I think?

TBH I'm not that into RPGs so don't read too much into it. I'm definitely forgetting some big PS4 exclusive or something which invalidates the point. But still, I meant it in the sense that there aren't that many RPGs out or on the near horizon for the current platforms. Only a handful or so. And of those two of the more interesting ones (XCX and SMTFE) are Wii U exclusives.

And as a side note, as someone who's not that into RPGs? Xenoblade has my attention. The Witcher I could get on PC but I'm not as sold on. The SMTxFE trailer? I know some Fire Emblem fans are turned off, but that trailer grabbed my attention as someone who hasn't really got into Fire Emblem. I wouldn't be shocked if the PS4 ended up being the better RPG box in the end but... the Wii U is punching above it's install base thus far. Who knows what we'll get in 2016.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

Pahvi wrote:

Ehh, it's debatable how much Monster Hunters are RPGs (even NL classifies MH3U as action and adventure). Never really tried playing them, so I'll go just with what others have said about them and call them not-so-distant relatives of Warriors.

Don't insult Monster Hunter by comparing it to those games! I have no hatred of Musou, but those games are all about button mashing and super-fast action with some light RPG elements. Monster Hunter is totally an ARPG, it's just a smart ARPG, so no leveling stat nonsense. Progression in MH is measured by skill and gear, nothing else, so it makes the games very intuitive. You can't forget that it's an RPG, though, because bad armor at the highest ranks can literally get you 1-shot by a bug bite. It's hilarious when you first realize.

The pace of Monster Hunter, it's high animation priority, also makes it very tactical. You have to plan out your actions and dodges or you'll get rekt. In many ways Monster Hunter requires as much strategy if not more than something like Xenoblade, it's just more active.

And speaking of preferring the active to the passive...

'Nadir' is a cool word, y'all haters. It's hardly some arcane 8-syllable, unpronounceable abomination. It's just the antonym to zenith, which is used in common parlance.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

...which is used in common parlance.

Ok, you're doing this on purpose.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

...which is used in common parlance.

Ok, you're doing this on purpose.

Words mean things m8. I'm sorry, but if I mean something specific and I know the most appropriate word I'm going to use it. And parlance is a dope word.

Some synonyms according to google, which I've never heard spoke before, would be 'phraseology', 'patois', and 'argot'. Those, I reckon, are outside of the common parlance =P

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

You used 6 words to say 3. "Which is used in common parlance" is the sort of thing you say when you have a 1000 word essay due in an hour and you're at 700.

=P

Haru17

'is common parlance' wouldn't have flowed with the structure of that sentence. Stop overanalyzing my writing, I have a writing professor for that. This is simply stupid.

CaviarMeths

I'm in the office at 6am doing mindnumbingly dull paperwork. What else is there to do to distract myself than nitpick someone else's?

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

I'm in the office at 6am doing mindnumbingly dull paperwork. What else is there to do to distract myself than nitpick someone else's?

Go harass your coworkers or memo authors' grammar instead

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I did that once, she didn't talk to me for a week. Even used the 'compliment sandwich' technique. Only reason I even brought it up to her was because it was for a memo going out to clients and it looked a little unprofessional with typos and stuff... Now I just quietly edit things myself.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

LzWinky

What was your approach? Do you give out Fs like I do?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I did that once, she didn't talk to me for a week. Even used the 'compliment sandwich' technique. Only reason I even brought it up to her was because it was for a memo going out to clients and it looked a little unprofessional with typos and stuff... Now I just quietly edit things myself.

Lol, that's how things end up on my newspaper. The writers, editors, writer's revisions, and copy editor all have their hands in the story, but there are still obvious mistakes I get stuck correcting when I'm placing the stories in inDesign.

skywake

I love how derailing is the whine and yet

Haru17 wrote:

'Nadir' is a cool word, y'all haters. It's hardly some arcane 8-syllable, unpronounceable abomination. It's just the antonym to zenith, which is used in common parlance.

Basically.... people who make money from being great wordsmiths? They're much clearer than this

LzWinky

Wait, what are we even talking about anymore?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

I'm pretty sure Skywake wants to flay my entrails before the old gods. Don't know, I haven't been keeping track.

skywake

TingLz wrote:

Well I was trying to ignore the off-topic stuff for a change. Kept dragging us back to talking about the Wii U's library and why I'm hyped about the next Zelda. But I guess people are really into navel gazing so here we are. Talking about language, words and so on. Anyways, on this new topic. Here's my vote for the best needlessly verbose piece of text:

"People are a waste of food
Don't bother learning Chinese
Thou shalt find oneself perturbed
By less verbose calamities
Just get some Heinz baked beans,
A 12 gauge, bandolier and tinned dog food
We'll eat your dog, bury our dead
Or eat them instead
That's entirely up to you"

Beautiful. There's your new benchmark Haru, try and beat it

Edited on by skywake

Haru17

Xenoblade also has real time combat, character progression, and material grinding and you wouldn't call it an action game or even ARPG.

Anyway, with Monster Hunter it is based off of player skill and equipment, but it is indelibly an RPG. Elemental resistances and the various important skill effects are tied to gear and the gems you can set in your gear. There's a lot of depth there, but also a lot of flexibility. Unlike most level-based RPGs you can totally change your playstyle and weapon (more or less class) by equipping a different set.

I prefer freer RPG progression like Monster Hunter and, to a lesser extent, The Elder Scrolls, to the older style of RPG. The archaic, level up, stats change and you get stomped if you walk towards something with higher numbers than you kind of RPG.

skywake

I'd comment on Monster Hunter but yet again it's another series I haven't gotten into. Actually haven't been playing that many games lately anyway, thanks Netflix Australian launch! Also if I was to dive into another new game? One that's out but I didn't pick up? I'd buy Ori and the Blind Forest not Monster Hunter.

Although damn, when Splatoon comes out? Day 1. As I've said quite a few times on the forum, I love my PC but the Wii U is my favourite platform ATM. By a long shot. Now how's that for being on-topic again? I try

Edited on by skywake

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.