Forums

Topic: Why is the Wii U's library so lauded?

Posts 141 to 160 of 308

Haru17

skywake wrote:

@Haru17
You can't just grab a screenshot off the internet and say "this is proof the puzzles are easy". Especially when just last page your complaint was that Skyward Sword was Zelda's (even Nintendo's) low point. Leaves you open to me posting stuff like this...

Yeaaah, that's greaaat and all, but I said it was 'a Nintendo Nadir', not the low point for them. The DS Zeldas were probably a worse low point, considering that even Skyward Sword stomped them (even if they both have horrible gesture controls). My point about the DS Zeldas is that they have flat, samey dungeons that feel more like a mod than a Nintendo-published game. Even A Link Between Worlds was less same-y than their dungeons.

I just got tired of the strict rectangular structure with basically no elevation to speak of that those dungeons had. Skyward Sword is disappointing for different reasons so you'd be equally out of place bringing up why Sticker Star is a shame.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

Sticker Star definitely represents a low point for Nintendo. Not only was it a bad PM game, it was a bad game overall.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

@Haru17
Well obviously I bow to your superior wisdom on even highly subjective topics. Oh world authority on every topic.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MegaMari0

TingLz wrote:

Sticker Star definitely represents a low point for Nintendo. Not only was it a bad PM game, it was a bad game overall.

I just finished that game a couple hours ago coincidentally. I agree it's a bad game. I bought it without actually completely looking it over about 2 years ago and Just now finished it. So it was a such a drag to finish it. I honestly thought it was going to be like TTYD. man was I wrong. The game felt like a cash in on the name.

Edited on by MegaMari0

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

skywake

I haven't played the 3DS Paper Mario because of the average opinions on it. I played the N64 and Wii versions and only really liked the N64 version. If the 3DS version is a step down from that again? I'm not interested. What annoys me though is this bundling together of that game with Zelda and the Wii U's current library. It's a load of bull. Especially when the original whine was that Skyward Sword was a low point for Nintendo..... and then lots of backtracking...

Now not only is Skyward Sword not a "low point" for Nintendo and instead it's just a "low point" for Zelda. But there's even talk of it not even being the "worst" Zelda! The whine is being piled ontop Phantom Hourglass. Lots of back peddling, we're not even remotely close to the next Zelda anymore. If people aren't confident in what they're saying then they shouldn't try to stir the pot in the first place.

Edited on by skywake

Hendesu

Nintendo latest mistake is keeping the car in Mario Party 10. No one is really gonna buy the game if you can't separate from your other rivals on the board.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

Haru17

skywake wrote:

@Haru17
Well obviously I bow to your superior wisdom on even highly subjective topics. Oh world authority on every topic.

Well, if you don't want my opinion then perhaps don't reply to me, implicitly asking for my opinion. You just keep getting upset and calling me names this way, so why continue? Anyway, we were talking about the DS Zeldas, you were the one who brought up Skyward Sword so... :/

And yeah, I don't know why Nintendo has put out so many bad Mario Parties recently. I mean, it's not even an annual game so they don't even have Ubisoft's poor excuse of momentum.

Edited on by Haru17

MegaMari0

skywake wrote:

I haven't played the 3DS Paper Mario because of the average opinions on it. I played the N64 and Wii versions and only really liked the N64 version. If the 3DS version is a step down from that again? I'm not interested. What annoys me though is this bundling together of that game with Zelda and the Wii U's current library. It's a load of bull. Especially when the original whine was that Skyward Sword was a low point for Nintendo..... and then lots of backtracking..

If you liked the N64 version then you would love the Gamecube's Thousand Year door. Give it a look if you get the chance.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

Well, if you don't want my opinion then perhaps don't reply to me, implicitly asking for my opinion. You just keep getting upset and calling me names this way, so why continue? Anyway, we were talking about the DS Zeldas, you were the one who brought up Skyward Sword so... :/

I haven't once called you a name and the only reason we're talking about Skyward Sword at all is because you brought it up. Someone said that Zelda on Wii U should be great and you needed to whine. So you tried to shut them down by arguing that Zelda being good wasn't a "sure thing". Citing Skyward Sword specifically as a low point for Nintendo. I called BS stating that Zelda has been consistently good, with the fact that everyone has a different view on which one is the best/worst being proof of that. And I said fact without evidence, but in the few pages since every single person has had a different opinion about where each Zelda ranks.

So bringing up Skyward Sword again? Perfectly reasonable. The fact that you're now saying Skyward Sword isn't the "worst" Zelda? Well thanks for agreeing with my point from a few pages back.

Edited on by skywake

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I haven't once called you a name and the only reason we're talking about Skyward Sword at all is because you brought it up. Someone said that Zelda on Wii U should be great and you needed to whine. So you tried to shut them down by arguing that Zelda being good wasn't a "sure thing". Citing Skyward Sword specifically as a low point for Nintendo. I called BS stating that Zelda has been consistently good, with the fact that everyone has a different view on which one is the best/worst being proof of that. And I said fact without evidence, but in the few pages since every single person has had a different opinion about where each Zelda ranks.

So bringing up Skyward Sword again? Perfectly reasonable. The fact that you're now saying Skyward Sword isn't the "worst" Zelda? Well thanks for agreeing with my point from a few pages back.

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Anyway, @skywake, I called it a 'Nintendo Nadir' for the alliteration, not because it was literally the worst game Nintendo ever made, obviously (hence 'a' not 'the'). I do think it was the worst in the 3D Zelda subseries, though. Simply by virtue of being an unremarkable game among the remarkable; a disappointment.

Well perhaps next time say the accurate thing rather than the one that sounds nice but makes you sound like an idiot

Man, this quote is like two birds with one stone! Disproving the notion that I called Skyward Sword 'the worst Zelda', which I have never contended. I have only ever said that it was the worst 3D Zelda game, simply by being a mediocre game in the 3D Zelda subseries that had been consistently great up until that point. Not only that, but the above quote also defeats the ridiculous assertion that you hadn't called me a name in this thread, despite the ridiculous amount of insults and passive aggressiveness you've been hurling my way on and off for days.

You really shouldn't make definitive statements that are so easy to disprove.

Edited on by Haru17

skywake

@Haru17
Calling Skyward Sword a "Nintendo Nadir" did make you sound like an idiot. Period. That doesn't make you an idiot and it wasn't me calling you an idiot. It was a stupid thing to say because it's a stupid thing to say. And you can't now say that you weren't implying that it was a bad game or even the worst Zelda game. You singled it out as one of the low points for Nintendo as a company! How else should that be taken? I mean really.

Again, this whole Zelda distraction started because you said that Skyward Sword was a low point for Nintendo. Now you're having a tantrum because I'm still trying to argue that that statement was idiotic. Something you apparently seem to agree with given you've been trying to qualify that idiotic alliteration ever since. If you're offended by me calling you out? Maybe don't make such bold and idiotic statements.

Edited on by skywake

UGXwolf

@Haru17 Ignoring this massive derailing of the original point, if the worst a 17+-game series does is "mediocre" you're hardly convincing anyone that the next one won't at least be passable. And on that note, I can't think of a single Zelda game that isn't somebody's favorite Zelda. There's no game in the series that doesn't have its good points. Personally, the DS titles are my least favorite due to the abysmal movement controls, but some people really love those controls. Twilight Princess is my favorite, though admittedly, that's entirely because I love wolves and found Midna to be the most relatable and least annoying partner character in a 3D Zelda. I actually feel that Majora's Mask is the best one, despite it not being my favorite due to it essentially being OoT done right.

Also, can you just accept that you tried to sound smart and classy by using an alliterative word that also happens to be very obscure and fell on your face because you didn't quite use it right? You'll sound far more mature that way.

Also, Skywake's videos reminded me of the best thing about Skyward Sword: the level design. Dungeons were extremely imaginative and never really got that tedious feeling 3D Zelda dungeons used to always get. I really feel dungeon designs have just gotten better and better with each new Zelda and I can only hope the next game manages the same thing.

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

skywake

@Pahvi
The thing is I don't think any platform has ever been recommendable to everyone without question. Even platforms that have very broad support for a wide variety of genres there are always some things another platform will do better. As it is the Wii U is the best place for platformers and some of the more colourful adventure games and RPGs. PC is still the best place for shooters, strategy games, sims and indies. I suspect that the PS4 will be great for some of the more ambitious JRPGs and it'll likely be the best platform for fighting games and other exclusives. The XBOne? I'm not sure what it'll be the best platform for yet TBH.

But that said I think it is fairly safe to say that the Wii U's library now as well as it's immediately lineup? It's pretty solid. The navel gazing and talking about how great previous platforms were is always a thing. The only time I remember people not saying that was around 2007.... but 2007 was something else...

UGXwolf

Also, also, also, felt like throwing this out here. It's part of the calendar I typed out for the previous Direct. It's just the events announced for the next two months, but...

April 1-5 - Hijinks! Codename S.T.E.A.M. online public tournament
April 1 - Yoshi's Island DS and Super Mario 64 released on Wii U VC ($9.99 each)
April 1 - Pre-orders for Nintendo eShop start with Puzzle and Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros Edition
April 1 - Attack on Titan episodes 1 and 2 available in Nintendo eShop on 3DS
April 2 - BoxBoy released on 3DS eShop
April 8 - Poke'mon Rumber World launches on 3DS eShop (free-to-start)
April 9 - Yoshi Touch & Go and WarioWare Touched! release on Wii U VC ($9.99 each)
April 10 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D launches for New Nintendo 3DS
April 15 - Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U/3DS update (ver. 1.0.6) including DLC, character balancing, and sharing functionality on Wii U: photos, Mii Fighters, Replays, Custom Stages, and More!
April 15 - Mewtwo release for CN claimers
April 15 - Mii DLC costumes for Smash 4 ($0.75 for one copy; $1.15 for both)
April 16 - Donkey Kong 64 releases on Wii U VC ($9.99)
April 23 - Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2, extra Mii Costumes and 200cc update releases
April 23 - MarioKart DS releases on Wii U VC ($9.99)
April 28 - Mewtwo DLC release ($3.99 for one copy; $4.99 for both)
April 30 - Paper Mario releases on Wii U VC ($9.99)
April 30 - Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros Edition demo launches on 3DS eShop

Spring - Amiibo Tap Nintendo's Greatest Bits becomes available

May - Attack on Titan Humanity in Chains launches for 3DS
May - Don't Starve: Giant Edition releases on Wii U eShop (Buy one, get one free)
May - Adventures of Pip releases on Wii U eShop
May 22 - Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros Edition launches on 3DS ($29.99)
May 29 - Splatoon launches for Wii U
May 29 - Wave 4 of Smash series Amiibo launches (Charizard, Pac-Man, Wario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Ness) as well as Splatoon Amiibos

That actually happens to be quite a lot. Among these 11 are games launching on Wii U (physical, eShop, or VC) and 2 are updates to pre-existing games on Wii U. 5 are games launching on 3DS, not counting anything previously counted for Wii U. 1 concerns Amiibos and 4 of them are general events. This doesn't count multiple entries for what is essentially the same thing. (Mewtwo comes with the Smash update, so I didn't count him being DLC or being given to CN claimers among these numbers.) So while it hasn't been directly adressed, the Wii U isn't exactly slowing down with 11 games launching in the next two months and E3 being right around the corner.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

@Haru17 Ignoring this massive derailing of the original point, if the worst a 17+-game series does is "mediocre" you're hardly convincing anyone that the next one won't at least be passable.

I called Skyward Sword mediocre, but again, never called it the worst in the series. Probably the worst 3D game, but FS, FSA, PH, and ST are probably the pits for Zelda as a whole. That and Zelda 2, depending on if you like that totally different style of game or not.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone that Zelda U wouldn't be decent, if you're referring to my comments in the XCX thread. I just fear for it being another underdeveloped game like Skyward Sword, less so after the delay.

Also, can you just accept that you tried to sound smart and classy by using an alliterative word that also happens to be very obscure and fell on your face because you didn't quite use it right? You'll sound far more mature that way.

Sorry for liking alliteration? And I used that word correctly; Skyward Sword is 'a Nintendo nadir' in that it was the weakest of the 3D games and felt padded and rushed like nothing else out of EAD 3, IMO. You might see that as hyperbole, but for me it was the worst from them. I expect Mario Party games to disappoint, but Zelda, and 3D Zelda at that? I think it's a much bigger disappointment to have a game that's only good in a series of great games than a game that's bad in a series of O.K. games.

I'm not trying to speak classily or prove my intellectual merit, as demonstrated by my use of modern English and sometimes even l33t speak for effect. As such I'm not going to modulate my vocabulary on request; this is the way I write, like it or not. I don't need you or others to think I'm mature, think I'm a -5 year old for all I care, but how about we stop the ad hominem? It has become tiresome.

Edited on by Haru17

Grumblevolcano

Pahvi wrote:

@skywake PC might be recommendable for everyone But yeah - my statement was by default invalid.

I am curious, though: what are the native RPGs on Wii U (native, as in not Wii or Virtual Console)?

Currently nothing but if you include upcoming games then there's 2 (XCX and SMTxFE).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

shaneoh

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Pahvi wrote:

@skywake PC might be recommendable for everyone But yeah - my statement was by default invalid.

I am curious, though: what are the native RPGs on Wii U (native, as in not Wii or Virtual Console)?

Currently nothing but if you include upcoming games then there's 2 (XCX and SMTxFE).

What about Citizens of Earth? Isn't Child of Light an RPG too?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Haru17

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Pahvi wrote:

That's a cardinal sin; forgetting the amazing ARPG, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Granted it doesn't have much of a narrative, but it is a very deep RPG combat-wise.

Edited on by Haru17

shaneoh

Haru17 wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Pahvi wrote:

That's a cardinal sin; forgetting the amazing ARPG, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Granted it doesn't have much of a narrative, but it is a very deep RPG combat-wise.

Deus Ex Human Revolution DC as well. ZombiU has some rpg elements.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.