Forums

Topic: Why has ZombiU got mixed reviews?

Posts 181 to 187 of 187

kkslider5552000

WaveBoy wrote:

IGN is all over the place. Their Double Dragon Neon review was just laughable...
Trash journalism at it's finest 75% of the time.

the other 25% is the times they go out of their way to praise awesome new games in a clear attempt to actively make them more popular (Zack and Wiki and Xenoblade come to mind). That might be the main reason I don't have much hatred for IGN. That and they're kinda too dumb to get angry at.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

KAHN

my advice:play the demo, let that be your judgement. Gametrailers.com always nitpicks against anything slightly Nintendo related, so try not to go there for their take on zombiU, or anything ninty related.

game critics today just don't know how to appreciate good games like this. ZombiU is a survival-horror game at it's best, but critics today have been poisoned by games that falsely call themselves "survival-horror". you know what i mean, games like Resident Evil, Zombie Mode on COD, etc. the point of ZombiU is to experience a more realistic take of a Zombie apocalypse, but those games mentioned earlier have ruined the game for them, because they no longer know what a real survival-horror game is like.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

rallydefault

A bit off topic, I apologize, but I was just wondering: What do you think the "credentials" are for most game reviewers on these websites like IGN, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc.?

I ask this because I remember reading EGM when people like Dan Shoe (or however he actually spelled his last name) really garnered a lot of respect from me because they had a few years under their belts in the video game industry, and really seemed to know their stuff. A few years later with the rise of these gaming websites, it seems like almost any freelancer can submit a few reviews here and there, or that almost any guy or girl who touched a controller at some point is given a cubicle at these places. I realize this doesn't apply to everyone, and I do have a few reviewers on certain sites that I tend to trust and enjoy their work, but they almost always end up being slightly older individuals who have been around for awhile and seem much better at presenting wise, balanced reviews.

I read that ZombiU review on IGN, bought the game, and honestly found myself wondering what that guy played. I don't think he finished the game. He couldn't have. If he did, he REALLY let some personal bias and frustrations seep into that review, which is inevitable, but it should have been trimmed by him or noticed by an editor. Again, sorry for the deviation. Just thinking.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

MAB

Yeah the reality is that ZombiU is awesome at the moment I have zombie Waltz boarded up in a tiny room away from my safehouse... I let him out every once in a while for a walk then I board him up again can't do that to your fellow NLifers in any other game now can you.

MAB

Bankai

rallydefault wrote:

A bit off topic, I apologize, but I was just wondering: What do you think the "credentials" are for most game reviewers on these websites like IGN, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc.?

I ask this because I remember reading EGM when people like Dan Shoe (or however he actually spelled his last name) really garnered a lot of respect from me because they had a few years under their belts in the video game industry, and really seemed to know their stuff. A few years later with the rise of these gaming websites, it seems like almost any freelancer can submit a few reviews here and there, or that almost any guy or girl who touched a controller at some point is given a cubicle at these places. I realize this doesn't apply to everyone, and I do have a few reviewers on certain sites that I tend to trust and enjoy their work, but they almost always end up being slightly older individuals who have been around for awhile and seem much better at presenting wise, balanced reviews.

I read that ZombiU review on IGN, bought the game, and honestly found myself wondering what that guy played. I don't think he finished the game. He couldn't have. If he did, he REALLY let some personal bias and frustrations seep into that review, which is inevitable, but it should have been trimmed by him or noticed by an editor. Again, sorry for the deviation. Just thinking.

The vast majority of the games press is very young, because it pays horrifically. They're basically the lowest paid journalists out there, and so the moment they have enough experience to work in another field of journalism (or PR if they want to stay in the industry) they jump at the opportunity.

So the majority of games press journalists are really university kids working towards their degrees and using this as a way of earning a supplemental income, or as a first job out of uni. The vast majority of games press editors are gamers that don't care about the money or prestige (very poor character trait for an editor) or are just not good enough to work in another field of journalism.

All that said, critics are meant to write from their own perspective (what you label as 'bias') and its the critics that seem to think they're able to be objective that tend to be a worthless read.

Edward_J_Grug_III

I just started playing it, and I am really surprised to find that it's the most exciting/fun game on the console so far! I bought it because I got it fairly cheap and having read some really positive reviews, and didn't expect to be as impressed as I am.

If you're on the fence, give it a go!

Edward_J_Grug_III

PinkSpider

Because ign and the like don't want to admit that an exclusive 3rd party Nintendo game is good. (uh oh Mr journalist is gonna respond)

Edited on by PinkSpider

3DS Friend code : 2878 9572 9160 PinkSpider
Mario Kart 7 Community code : 54 7436 5412 6010
Wii U I.D : PinkSpider

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.