Forums

Topic: Why has ZombiU got mixed reviews?

Posts 161 to 180 of 187

Cubits

I'd had this review written for a while, it's done from the perspective of a video account of a survivor. The idea was for the survivor's to carry this kind of thing on them, and it would help to bridge the reality between survivors in the normal mode of the game. So it's a fanfic/review hybrid of sorts.

It took me ages to get appropriate footage which avoided spoilers but showed off the game a bit. Not the best editing, but there's a bit of variation in there. At least the recording is of a decent quality.

Also, i had originally recorded the audio in a Bob Hoskins' voice, but the survivor sounded way too capable/badass. Decided to go with a more normal tone, which is less fun, but more appropriate. Oh well... Let me know what y'all think:

Cubits

nobyer

the sharp edges on everything give me a headache. zombies teleport in. objective marker disapears. stuck on roof with helicopter_floor level zombie. Its fun . as much as 12 swings required to dispatch a riotgear zombie....

nobyer

Cubits

I've played through normal mode twice, and i'm on my sixth attempt at survival mode (although this time i'm pretty far in). I haven't encountered a single glitch worse than a corpse getting stuck in a door and freaking out.

From what i've read on the official forum, most people reporting "game breaking glitches" seem to just be lost in the levels. "It's not that the ladder didn't load, it's that you're going the wrong way!"

And the whole reason zombies take so many swings to kill is to make you anxious about others sneaking up on you. If they're holding up your progress, either avoid them or elect to use a gun.

Cubits

rallydefault

nobyer wrote:

the sharp edges on everything give me a headache. zombies teleport in. objective marker disapears. stuck on roof with helicopter_floor level zombie. Its fun . as much as 12 swings required to dispatch a riotgear zombie....

Are you playing the same game? Seriousl. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Maybe I just don't notice stuff like
sharp edges on everything." I do need to get my glasses fixed, so that is actually entirely possible... but I have yet to see a zombie "teleport in" after 8 hours of play time.

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

the irony is I'm taking a break from the game. Between the lack of an (at least immediate) interesting story and my lack of interest in perma-deaths unless it makes me care more about the story (see: my many FE rants), I lose interest every time I die. It's not my type of gimmick and I'm not a big survival horror guy really.

In theory this is painfully hypocritical but my main point is that poorly made reviews missed the point of what the game was. Outside of my complaints, the game at least does...what it wants to do quite well. I didn't get it expecting a game I was gonna be the biggest fan of, more just to try something new since it was the only non-minigame game taking full advantage of the new controller.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

rallydefault

kkslider5552000 wrote:

the irony is I'm taking a break from the game. Between the lack of an (at least immediate) interesting story and my lack of interest in perma-deaths unless it makes me care more about the story (see: my many FE rants), I lose interest every time I die. It's not my type of gimmick and I'm not a big survival horror guy really.

In theory this is painfully hypocritical but my main point is that poorly made reviews missed the point of what the game was. Outside of my complaints, the game at least does...what it wants to do quite well. I didn't get it expecting a game I was gonna be the biggest fan of, more just to try something new since it was the only non-minigame game taking full advantage of the new controller.

It's awesome that you can admit you don't like the game, but still give it the nod for doing "what it wants to do quite well." Very mature of you. I tip my hat to you, sir.

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

rallydefault wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It's awesome that you can admit you don't like the game, but still give it the nod for doing "what it wants to do quite well." Very mature of you. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Thank you, but I wouldn't say I don't like the game. More kinda "meh" towards it. It's interesting enough and kinda fun at times I guess. It just becomes too frustrating for me when I lose character after character.

Kezins

xBASSxMONSTAx wrote:

Gamespot 4.5 out of 10
Game Informer 5/10
IGN 6.3 out of 10
Gamesmaster 97%
Eurogamer 9/10

I honestly don't know what to think anymore.

Can anyone explain why this game has got so much mixed reviews overall? Could it be that some reviewers have been payed to give it high scores?

Thing is you have to find places that generally have reviews you agree with. For the most part, the vast majority of game reviews are garbage.

Kezins

Twitter:

Grubdog

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That's the whole reason you're dying, you're not engaged. The atmosphere is in the surroundings, the situation, NOT some textbook story script (though I did find the story very interesting, such a bizarre take on it). Lose your concentration and make a bad call, and you're dead. That's why people love and hate this game.

pietriots.com - where serious gamers have fun with their puppies

Nintendo Network ID: GRUBDOG | Twitter:

GuyMan

fortius54 wrote:

Okay, IGN give this game a 6.3, and then they put it on the underappreciated games of 2012. That doesn't make any sense to me unless it says, "We played this a little longer and realized its a real good game."

Greg Miller, IGN's local Sony fanboy, reviewed it. #Notbiasedatall

GuyMan

GuyMan

A 77 on Metacritic indicates that it has positive reviews. ZombiU has been very well received for how niche it is. Though I think it deserves an 87 at the least considering it's the best Wii U game out now next to Assassin's Creed III, Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Darksiders II, Mass Effect 3: Special Edition, & Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge.

GuyMan

rallydefault

It was pretty awesome to play through. I don't know if I see myself going back on survivor mode and/or trying to get all the CCTV boxes, but it was a sweet, 15ish-hour experience for me. It used the gamepad in a way that wasn't gimicky, and didn't force you into motion controls with the scanner if you didn't want them (which is nice for couch potatoes like me who just want to recline after getting home from work).

It gave me a lot of hope for what we can expect from Wii U exclusives, which is what I'm looking for after coming back to Nintendo after being on Sony's and Microsoft's consoles since the Gamecube days. If you own this console, even if you're not a huge huge survival horror fan, you owe it to yourself to give it a playthrough. If you absolutely hate horror games... play with the lights on.

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

Grubdog wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That's the whole reason you're dying, you're not engaged. The atmosphere is in the surroundings, the situation, NOT some textbook story script (though I did find the story very interesting, such a bizarre take on it). Lose your concentration and make a bad call, and you're dead. That's why people love and hate this game.

No not really. The only times I found it particularly engaging were when I thought I was in real danger of dying and that made me kinda paranoid something would attack from behind any second (which has happened before in the game) which would distract me enough to be killed by enemies in front of me. For the most part. It's both frustrating and kinda brilliant in that regard.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Betelgroose

Because everyone is scared of its epicness

"From tiny acorns, mighty oak trees grow, and those oak trees have guns and are flipping awesome" -Bunny Lord
Uhhhh... I like potatoes...

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2393-2290 | Nintendo Network ID: Groose_Lord

CoffeeWithGames

GuyMan wrote:

fortius54 wrote:

Okay, IGN give this game a 6.3, and then they put it on the underappreciated games of 2012. That doesn't make any sense to me unless it says, "We played this a little longer and realized its a real good game."

Greg Miller, IGN's local Sony fanboy, reviewed it. #Notbiasedatall

Greg Miller also won't/hasn't answered if he actually beat the game. From his "review", it appears to me that he didn't; the fact he hasn't answered a simple question like, "How many hours/survivors did it take you?" makes me think he didn't. Perhaps if you ask him on his Twitter account, you can get him to answer...

My site, CoffeeWithGames.com!

Nintendo Network ID: Coffees | Twitter:

CoffeeWithGames

Cubits wrote:

I'd had this review written for a while, it's done from the perspective of a video account of a survivor. The idea was for the survivor's to carry this kind of thing on them, and it would help to bridge the reality between survivors in the normal mode of the game. So it's a fanfic/review hybrid of sorts.

It took me ages to get appropriate footage which avoided spoilers but showed off the game a bit. Not the best editing, but there's a bit of variation in there. At least the recording is of a decent quality.

Also, i had originally recorded the audio in a Bob Hoskins' voice, but the survivor sounded way too capable/badass. Decided to go with a more normal tone, which is less fun, but more appropriate. Oh well... Let me know what y'all think:

Just watched the video, and I like how you played it up as the survivor aspect. Not sure if you tried out the iPhone app or not, or if you saw some of the earlier "promo" videos for it, but as soon as I get my copy back (neighbor is borrowing it, and almost finished I think) I'm going to be putting together a little fan made video...based around Baconfields.

My site, CoffeeWithGames.com!

Nintendo Network ID: Coffees | Twitter:

Cubits

Never tried the iphone app, but thought the marketing videos should've gone even further in this direction.

Can't wait to see your video, I find this game pretty ripe for machinima.

Cubits

CaPPa

fortius54 wrote:

I think that Gregg Miller went in wanting/expecting a different type of game, something more like Dead Island or COD zombies, but ZombiU is survival horror not action FPS. There is also the factor that the lower scoring sites reviewed the game early and they had no online component when they played it. This may have effected their experience, as it would have reduced the amount of ammunition available (other players zombies leave more).

CaPPa

Grubdog

If that guy gets paid to review games he should be held accountable

pietriots.com - where serious gamers have fun with their puppies

Nintendo Network ID: GRUBDOG | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.