Wii U Forum

Topic: Why does Nintendo hate me?

Showing 1 to 20 of 41

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Le_Gazman

1. Posted:

I blogged this but thought I'd post it here on the off chance someone from Nintendo might see it.

Do nintendo genuinely despise their customers? Do they devise their online strategy to deliberately extort them? Are they inept? Or am I missing something?

At every turn nintendo seem to make the online experience just plain stupifying. Take the eShop - I paid for loads of VC games on Wii but can't re-download them on my Wii U. There is a workaround, but for that to work for me I need to go back in time with some extra money and persuade my 2012 self not to trade my Wii in for a Wii U. I would then have to perform a bizarre transfer process because my purchases were tied to my console and not the email address I had to use to pay for them all. So unless I happen upon a crazy wild eyed scientist with a flying DeLorean, my games are gone forever. I can still see them on my SD card in Wii mode though, which serves as some additional salt in the wound.

Nintendo can't plead ignorance on this because they know I downloaded a Luigi's Mansion screensaver in 2002. It says so under my club nintendo account history. They know what Gamecube, and DS games I registered for VIP points, they know what I've downloaded on my Wii, Wii U and 3DS but they have setup a system which refuses to acknowledge past purchases when it suits them to do so.

Not learning my lesson, I recently bought some VC games on Wii U to tide me over until some proper games that I want to play come along. I fancied playing Punch-Out!! on my 3DS while I took a poop tonight so went to download it. That'll be another £4.49 please. What?! I only paid 30p for it on Wii U! I also paid about £20 for it on NES about 25yrs ago. Nintendo keep stiffing me for the same handful of games each time I buy new hardware. The only comparison I have is with the Star Wars films, which I stopped re-buying after their first issue on DVD.

Compare that with Apple's system. If I buy a game on my iPad its already waiting on my iPhone by the time I pick it up to check. If I buy a new device, all my content is there waiting for me when I log in. This is a joined up system that has been devised with a positive user experience in mind.

Thankfully nintendo have listened to reason and ditched the ridiculous rule that you couldn't buy adult-themed content until after most people (adults included) had gone to bed. It's gone now thankfully, but who could EVER have thought that was a good idea?

Nintendo came late to the online party but they've learned nothing from what the competition was doing while they waited. That "online curfew" on the Wii U is a mistake they could have gotten away with making 10yrs ago, but not now. I was genuinely dumbfounded by its introduction in 2012.

I still can't work the stupid Wii U GUI and I'm not sure I'll ever have enough controllers to play all the mini-games in Nintendoland, despite having spent a small fortune already. I've been hailing the nintendo difference for 4 decades now but I'm pretty sure unless things change quickly that the love affair will soon be over. I'm fed up being taken for a numpty and nintendo seem to be playing the same old tricks again and again.

Le_Gazman

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7758-7591 | Nintendo Network ID: le_gazman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ikki5

2. Posted:

ok, for one, it is understandable that you would have to re-buy something that was made for the Wii for on to the Wii U, considering how if you bought it on the Wii, it'll only cost a small amount of what you paid for ($1 more for NES and $1.50 for SNES). Consider it more that you pay for the gamepad experience for it. And if you don't want to pay that, then do the system transfer from the Wii to the Wii U, it is easy and a child could do it and you won't have to pay any extra to download provided you do it off the Wii menu. As for Punchout of the 3DS, that should also be obvious. The $.30 is a promotional for the 30th anniversary of the famicon, a console, NOT a handheld so therefore, the promotion is on the Wii U (not the Wii because the Wii uses the point system). Also, not sure why you are complaining that you have to buy a game when you bought it for a system a long time ago, example a NES game, you pay much less for it than it would have been new and you get it a lot easier than you would if you have to go find the actual cartridge. Every console does this, just because you bought a game in the past does not mean a new copy should be free if offered.

Edited on by ikki5

Friend ID - 2320-7212-2375

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

3. Posted:

You buy the license to play the game on a system, not the game itself. Don't like it? Too bad :(

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

4. Posted:

Embrace the loving arms of sony and get a PS4, for Tretton loves you.

Reala

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

5. Posted:

sometimes i sweat when i eat

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

6. Posted:

Reala wrote:

Embrace the loving arms of sony and get a PS4, for Tretton loves you.

They especially love you if you have a PS3 full of games ;)

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Le_Gazman

7. Posted:

LzQuacker wrote:

You buy the license to play the game on a system, not the game itself. Don't like it? Too bad :(

The same could have been said for music at one time but things have moved on. Nintendo needs to do the same.

Le_Gazman

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7758-7591 | Nintendo Network ID: le_gazman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Le_Gazman

8. Posted:

ikki5 wrote:

ok, for one, it is understandable that you would have to re-buy something that was made for the Wii for on to the Wii U, considering how if you bought it on the Wii, it'll only cost a small amount of what you paid for ($1 more for NES and $1.50 for SNES).

It's not a bit more its the same PLUS a bit more. It should be nothing! I can use apps/games I bought on iPad on my iPhone or iMac and vice versa, so why not Wii U to 3DS? It's the same 20+ year old game just wrapped differently for each system. This isn't rocket science!

ikki5 wrote:

Consider it more that you pay for the gamepad experience for it. And if you don't want to pay that, then do the system transfer from the Wii to the Wii U, it is easy and a child could do it and you won't have to pay any extra to download provided you do it off the Wii menu.

i told you thats not possible for people who traded their Wii's in for a Wii U.

ikki5 wrote:

As for Punchout of the 3DS, that should also be obvious. The $.30 is a promotional for the 30th anniversary of the famicon, a console, NOT a handheld so therefore, the promotion is on the Wii U (not the Wii because the Wii uses the point system). Also, not sure why you are complaining that you have to buy a game when you bought it for a system a long time ago, example a NES game, you pay much less for it than it would have been new and you get it a lot easier than you would if you have to go find the actual cartridge. Every console does this, just because you bought a game in the past does not mean a new copy should be free if offered.

I'm buying the game again and again for each system, which is wrong. I've already cited iTunes, and Kindle is the same. Buy once consume on multiple devices. Except where Nintendo is concerned. Which is wrong.

Edited on by Le_Gazman

Le_Gazman

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7758-7591 | Nintendo Network ID: le_gazman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pikpikp

9. Posted:

First off, anyone who payed attention to Nintendo knew about the system transfer, and that the Wii was needed to do it. And, the iPad to iPhone thing, they're the SAME THING, just at a different size.

Edited on by Pikpikp

Dazzling, dizzying, doldrums defying!

3DS Friend Code: 5155-2977-9232 | Nintendo Network ID: Popo_man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

10. Posted:

Untitled
You make a few good points, but selling the Wii was your bad!

Edited on by OptometristLime

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

11. Posted:

Le_Gazman wrote:

i told you thats not possible for people who traded their Wii's in for a Wii U.

And Nintendo told everyone that to keep your Wii games, you need to keep your Wii until at least you have a WiiU. It is information that was made readily available, and beyond that simple logic dictates that you needed the Wii since there is no account system to track purchases.

Le_Gazman wrote:

I'm buying the game again and again for each system, which is wrong. I've already cited iTunes, and Kindle is the same. Buy once consume on multiple devices. Except where Nintendo is concerned. Which is wrong.

There is absolutely nothing inherently 'wrong' about this. Nintendo is using a different system than Apple or other companies, and you may not prefer it, but it cannot be called 'wrong.' Again, the system's rules are explained clearly for you. Just because another company does things differently does not mean you should just assume things. Regarding you trying to download Punch Out on 3DS, surely you would be aware that there is no account system and no connection tying the WiiU eshop to the 3DS eshop.

Your woes would all be avoided if you just stopped, thought things through, and looked up the way things work with Nintendo online purchases.

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Le_Gazman

12. Posted:

Sensei_PikPik wrote:

First off, anyone who payed attention to Nintendo knew about the system transfer, and that the Wii was needed to do it. And, the iPad to iPhone thing, they're the SAME THING, just at a different size.

The transfer process was announced after I traded my Wii in. Wasn't much use knowing after the fact.

Le_Gazman

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7758-7591 | Nintendo Network ID: le_gazman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Birthday_Boy

13. Posted:

Porting Wii to Wii U is a difficult task. The advantages are worth the $1-$1.50 you have to pay for. But atleast the Wii U has backwards compatibility. The PS4 doesn't look so.
Also when you trade something, it means you no longer need/want it, or its not worth keeping. Thats the disadvantage to trading. No givsies-backsies. You shouldn't be allowed to trade something keep it, and then take the games back in the process. Otherwise, you're practically getting a free Wii U.

Complaining over Punch Out!! is somewhat ridiculous. First of all, no one will give you a discounted version of any game you purchased 25 years ago. Secondly, just because you bought a game on Wii U, doesn't mean you can use it on a different system. Its like saying since you bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the 3DS. You can also have it for Wii U. It doesn't work that way. Your iPhone-iPad comparison also has a catch to it. Both are using the same OS, and the exact same shop. If both are of same power, then technically yes, you can port your angry birds from phone to tablet. However, what if your phone is 3rd generation, and your iPad is 4th generation? Well I can guarantee you there will be limitations despite having the same OS.

Edited on by Birthday_Boy

Past Names: Koops3, Klyo, Whirlpool, Titanics
If you're looking for a good Miiverse profile, do I have one for you!

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter: Kyloctopus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Le_Gazman

14. Posted:

willobee wrote:

And Nintendo told everyone that to keep your Wii games, you need to keep your Wii until at least you have a WiiU. It is information that was made readily available, and beyond that simple logic dictates that you needed the Wii since there is no account system to track purchases.

There's this thing called a club nintendo account which tracks everything you buy and even prompts you to submit surveys on those purchases, so I don't accept your argument.

willobee wrote:

There is absolutely nothing inherently 'wrong' about this. Nintendo is using a different system than Apple or other companies, and you may not prefer it, but it cannot be called 'wrong.' Again, the system's rules are explained clearly for you. Just because another company does things differently does not mean you should just assume things. Regarding you trying to download Punch Out on 3DS, surely you would be aware that there is no account system and no connection tying the WiiU eshop to the 3DS eshop.

See above, there is a system, nintendo just don't want to use it and want to charge you repeatedly.

willobee wrote:

Your woes would all be avoided if you just stopped, thought things through, and looked up the way things work with Nintendo online purchases.

My post is about the fact that I take issue with the way things work with nintendo online purchases. They don't seem to match that of the competition or common sense.

Le_Gazman

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7758-7591 | Nintendo Network ID: le_gazman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Le_Gazman

15. Posted:

Sensei_PikPik wrote:

First off, anyone who payed attention to Nintendo knew about the system transfer, and that the Wii was needed to do it. And, the iPad to iPhone thing, they're the SAME THING, just at a different size.

And a virtual console game isn't just the SAME THING running on an emulator for each system?

Le_Gazman

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7758-7591 | Nintendo Network ID: le_gazman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Toad

16. Posted:

My apologies for being a Lakitu but, I don't think that some random person from Nintendo will come to this website, check this forum and read your essay about your problems with Nintendo and it's services, lengthy it may be.
If you have a problem with anything nintendo, call them or send it to their office or something.
There was a similar one like this before.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack.....it's important.
Toadloggery and a Youtube Channel
Retro Clue!
Games are games ppl. Enjoy 'em.
I gave in to darkness to have this bio.
Net neutrality is dead. Pls use revive.
Currently Nominating Best Spooky VGMs and Best RPG Battle Music

3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

17. Posted:

Le_Gazman wrote:

My post is about the fact that I take issue with the way things work with nintendo online purchases.

Oh okay, well then this is really simple.

Don't purchase any online games from Nintendo and you won't have these issues. Don't like it, don't use it. Vote with your money and all that jazz.

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Le_Gazman

18. Posted:

Whirlpool wrote:

Porting Wii to Wii U is a difficult task. The advantages are worth the $1-$1.50 you have to pay for. But atleast the Wii U has backwards compatibility. The PS4 doesn't look so.
Also when you trade something, it means you no longer need/want it, or its not worth keeping. Thats the disadvantage to trading. No givsies-backsies

Complaining over Punch Out!! is somewhat ridiculous. First of all, no one will give you a discounted version of any game you purchased 25 years ago. Secondly, just because you bought a game on Wii U, doesn't mean you can use it on a different system. Its like saying since you bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the 3DS. You can also have it for Wii U. It doesn't work that way. Your iPhone-iPad comparison also has a catch to it. Both are using the same OS, and the exact same shop. If both are of same power, then technically yes, you can port your angry birds from phone to tablet. However, what if your phone is 3rd generation, and your iPad is 4th generation? Well I can guarantee you there will be limitations despite having the same OS.

Of course they won't is count me, but my message is that I've paid enough or the game over the years on various systems. There has to come a time when they acknowledge that I own the bloody thing! :)

Monster Hunter 3 is a bad example since it is virtually the same game, released at the same time on Wii U and 3DS to the point that the save data is compatible across systems. That's a perfect example of a game which SHOULD be available to download for free if you've bought it on either system.

Le_Gazman

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7758-7591 | Nintendo Network ID: le_gazman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

19. Posted:

Actually, buying the games online gives you the game. The license and the game are the same thing. The game is useless without the license, and a license is useless without a game. You literally have Nintendo cartridges on your console. If you sell the console, you lose all of your cartridges.
Nintendo made sure to let people know to keep the Wii for transferring if you care(who wouldn't who's buying a Wii U?)
We don't need an account system if you think about it. It will make things easier to not be so internet reliant in the future. The difference with Sony and Apple, is that they dedicate a large amount of their resources towards internet connectivity.
It costs more for a company to track everyones' accounts through a network, vs. everyone just keeping track of their own accounts.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrWalkieTalkie

20. Posted:

Making your own mistakes doesn't mean Nintendo has some sort of grudge against you.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo and Excitebiker for Smash!

Sorry, this topic has been locked.