Forums

Topic: Why are you so certain Wii U will catch fire, and that it won't be a failure?

Posts 101 to 120 of 125

GoombaSlayer

biglittlejake wrote:

I thought N was losing a lot of third party?

They cant really lose something they never had. Wii and DS is the most succesful Nintendo have ever been and even on those platforms they didnt get the same support as Microsoft and Sony did. Nintendo is still more about firstparty, the more core-oriented third party publishers such as Ubisoft/Capcom and Sega and of course eastern games and developers.

Nintendo will never have a platform where EA will give its full support. Nintendo will never have a platform where Battlefield or FIFA is the best selling games.

Edited on by GoombaSlayer

GoombaSlayer

Peach64

I think people hugely over-estimate the sales Nintendo's core games bring in. Smash Bros isn't a huge seller, but it's the biggest one. It was Wii U's 8th best seller game, selling just under 12 million (compared to the 30 million each of Mario Kart and Sports Resort), Galaxy was just behind it with just short of 11 million. Galaxy 2 is all the way down in 15th with 7 million sold, Twilight Princess in 17th with a bit under 7 million. Skyward Sword is at number 30, selling just over 3.5 million. The real shocker is Metroid Prime 3, the 76th best selling game on Wii with just over 1.5 million sales, while Metroid Prime Trilogy is 218 with under 700k sales. Xenoblade, one of my personal favourites, 174th with just over 800k sales. The Pikmin re-releases are down around the 400 mark, with 400k sales, so not sure that's going to be a huge system seller either.

Now I am very much looking forward to the next Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, the new Monolith game and all those. I also think they will bump up the console's sales, but it's definitely not as certain as some people seem to think. I so often see 'meh, this will all change when Mario, Metroid and Zelda come out', but the Gamecube had those too. It also had Smash and Pikmin.

What made the Wii such a huge success was all those people that have moved onto other things now. Sure, we helped, but without those 'casuals' the Wii would have been in 3rd place. You just have to look at the awful sales of some great games like No More Heroes, Okami, Little King's Story etc to see that, while the top of the chart is over flowing with dance games, keep fit games and shovelware mini game compilations.

Peach64

skywake

Midnight3DS wrote:

^ If you're excited about a pathetic PC with more restraints than ever in your console, knock yourself out.

Only because PC gaming has basically gone the full digital route years ahead of the consoles. I wouldn't be annoyed with Microsoft at all if the XBone was taking the Steam approach, frankly it's not the used game bit that annoys me. It's the requirement to be online every day, the requirement for the Kinect to be always connected, the fact that the 360 content can't be played on it.

The only difference big between Steam and what Nintendo does is that when you buy a game on Steam you can play it on pretty much anything you can log in with Steam on. If I buy Super Mario Bros on my Wii I have to pay for it again on the Wii U and then again on my 3DS. Is that better? I'm not saying it's wrong what Nintendo is doing, it's their content, but I'm not going to say it's better.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Chrono_Cross

GoombaSlayer wrote:

The Wii and DS are the most succesful systems Nintendo has ever had and even on those platforms they didnt get the same support as Microsoft and Sony did. Nintendo is still more about firstparty

Which is a bigger problem now than it has ever been. Nintendo is a talented company, but even then, no one can survive solely on first party. It'll eventually grow into a niche group, and Nintendo will not be the power house we know today.

I can't speak for the DS (due to the success of the 3DS), but the Wii was a one hit wonder. Its direction (emphasis on motion controls and targeting the casual market), is not present with the Wii U.

Nintendo will never have a platform where EA will give its full support. Nintendo will never have a platform where Battlefield or FIFA is the best selling games.

But that wouldn't hurt Nintendo if that was the case now would it? If EA had best sellers on a Nintendo platform, that would potentially encourage other companies as well.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

GoombaSlayer

Chrono_Cross wrote:

GoombaSlayer wrote:

The Wii and DS are the most succesful systems Nintendo has ever had and even on those platforms they didnt get the same support as Microsoft and Sony did. Nintendo is still more about firstparty

Which is a bigger problem now than it has ever been. Nintendo is a talented company, but even then, no one can survive solely on first party. It'll eventually grow into a niche group, and Nintendo will not be the power house we know today.

I can't speak for the DS (due to the success of the 3DS), but the Wii was a one hit wonder. Its direction (emphasis on motion controls and targeting the casual market), is not present with the Wii U.

But that wouldn't hurt Nintendo if that was the case now would it? If EA had best sellers on a Nintendo platform, that would potentially encourage other companies as well.

1) My sentence continued after "first party".. Wii U have and will have continued support from third-party. It is only EA that have made an open choice to not support it AS MUCH as the other platforms - problably due to that Nintendo wont allow them to integrate Origin / Online activation DRM on their Wii U games. Nintendo have never had a fullblown EA-support or "all" of the third-party content that often released on both Xbox and Playstation platforms. Nintendo have a different market and always have had. Nintendo have on the other hand always had support from core-publishers like Sega, Ubisoft, Capcom and Namco and will continue to have that support.

Nintendo will not become a Playstation or Xbox-platform. Because they arent those companies. I dont really see why people want all consoles to be about the same things. As long as we dont have one single video-game platform i think that we should encourage companies that doesnt want the same thing as much as we can. Especially when it doesnt include DRM and such negative ingredients.

Nintendo have worked like this since Nintendo 64. It was the same with Gamecube. Wii had more third-party support but it was not from EA or those publishers or those kind of games. So even though Wii was a huge commercial success the PS360-third party wasnt interested. Even if Wii U had sold a bunch to date publishers like Bethesda or Valve would make games for it. They are not the developers or audiences that Nintendo are after. Never will be.

2) No it wouldnt hurt EA to sell more games.. Then again it would hurt consumers if EA went into a dryrun.. Maybe then they would have to think a little and back off with the not so consumer-friendly choices they are currently making. But also.. EA had 1 top-selling game on the Wii and that game was EA Active Fitness... so... their lesser support for Wii U wont make that much of an impact on the Nintendo crowd.

GoombaSlayer

rallydefault

DGGames wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

JGMR wrote:

I think it's gonna be just fine with the WiiU. Some things take time, and that's something which is almost a unrecognized taboo in modern culture (where everybody wants to hurry to their grave). The Nintendo 3DS had problems, the PSVita is starting to take of... and so will the WiiU. I am personally finished with consoles, but...if there was a console on my wanted-list, it would be this one.

I am more into my PC these days, to be honest. But as a gamer from the 1980s, some of these changes Microsoft (and maybe Sony) are making to console gaming are quite scary. Online check-in once every 24 hours? You CAN lend a game to a friend, but only if they've been your "friend" for 30 days and you can only do it ONCE? A camera attached to your console that can honestly record whoknowswhat. Mandatory game installs, even if you bought them on disc? I mean... c'mon, guys, when are we going to stand up and vote with our wallets by not supporting this kind of stuff? I'm happier and happier with my Wii U purchase, with Nintendo seeming to be the only manufacturer who wants to keep its console focused on games the way they used to be: accessible and fun. I may only fire up my Wii U mostly for first-party exclusives, but boy am I glad that I'm supporting a company that's not trying to revamp the very fabric of what made console gaming great.

And all of that that you are complaining about is already happening on PC games and has been happening for over 5 years... all of it.

Online check ins every preset amount of time? Check
Lending games to a friend? Actually forbidden on PC
Used games? Actually forbidden on PC
A company invading your privacy spying on everything you do and selling your personal information ? If you use google, you are on that bandwagon
Mandatory game installs? Yup, been like that on PC the whole time.

So how is all that problematic again? you said you were mostly on PC now so you are already dealing with far, far worse things than what Microsoft and Sony are doing with their next console.

Please tell me you're joking. You must not actually game on a PC.
Online check-ins? NO! Where are you getting your information? If I'm playing an MMO, then of course I need to be online. If I want to play Civ, Dead Space, or basically ANY GAME THAT IS NOT AN MMO I do not need to be logged in. You do know you can set up Steam to have an offline mode, right? And any game that doesn't activate on Steam and isn't an MMO usually doesn't require a connection.

Lending games to a friend forbidden on PC???? Dude/ma'am (whatever you are... I still can't get over your initial post), you ARE allowed to trade games with friends. Yes, some of the super-new titles won't let you do it, but there is a growing movement of devs/publishers who do allow you to trade your games freely (Valve GIVES you copies of some of their games FOR FREE to trade with friends when you purchase an original), and almost any game made even just a few years ago is DRM free- totally and completely legal to trade and borrow.

Used games- read above.

Game instlals- of course, I will give you that one. But my reason was that consoles were DIFFERENT from PCs because of ease of access and not demanding game installs and the like. You missed my entire point and have faulty information. But now I'm interested: what are the specs on your gaming rig? I want to know I'm talking to someone who actually has knowledge of the subject matter.

rallydefault

SCRAPPER392

The problem is Nintendo titles being top-notch.
These 3rd developers don't have any games that come close to the quality of Nintendo games. That's why they have to buckle down, find gaps in Nintendo's release schedule, and have ACTUALLY good games come out to 'blend' in with the Nintendo games.
I buy Nintendo consoles, regardless. That doesn't mean I dislike 3rd party. The stance of EA is not disheartening one bit. They haven't made a good game since Dead Space 1 and Mirror's Edge, IMO. That was 2007.
As for 2K, their basketball game looks ok. I'm personally not into basketball, but that s*** doesn't even matter, because it's probably a rehash of last year's game anyway.
The Wii U will do fine, because games will come out, and when all the next gen consoles are available, people will actually see all their options.
People have been bashing Wii U since 1 1/2 years prior to it's release, and Xbox One along with PS4 are getting lazy last gen ports like Wii U did. Wow.
What's the problem? Nintendo's not going anywhere. If you don't like Nintendo, fine. Just buy the freaking game console of your choice and quit complaining. Wait until E3, and wait for the games.

EDIT: You're going to have to wait no matter what. No Wii U exclusive games until around fall, and PS4/Xbox One don't even launch until around the same time. You're stuck waiting.

Edited on by k8sMum

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

SCRAPPER392

In conclusion, 3rd parties need to make games that compete with the 1st party games. Steal game sales from Nintendo on their console.

Qwest

Jaz007

SCAR392 wrote:

The problem is Nintendo titles being top-notch.
These 3rd developers don't have any games that come close to the quality of Nintendo games. That's why they have to buckle down, find gaps in Nintendo's release schedule, and have ACTUALLY good games come out to 'blend' in with the Nintendo games.
I buy Nintendo consoles, regardless. That doesn't mean I dislike 3rd party. The stance of EA is not disheartening one bit. They haven't made a good game since Dead Space 1 and Mirror's Edge, IMO. That was 2007.
As for 2K, their basketball game looks ok. I'm personally not into basketball, but that s*** doesn't even matter, because it's probably a rehash of last year's game anyway.
The Wii U will do fine, because games will come out, and when all the next gen consoles are available, people will actually see all their options.
People have been bashing Wii U since 1 1/2 years prior to it's release, and Xbox One along with PS4 are getting lazy last gen ports like Wii U did. Wow.
What's the problem? Nintendo's not going anywhere. If you don't like Nintendo, fine. Just buy the freaking game console of your choice and quit complaining. Wait until E3, and wait for the games.

EDIT: You're going to have to wait no matter what. No Wii U exclusive games until around fall, and PS4/Xbox One don't even launch until around the same time. You're stuck waiting.

PS4 is getting a lot of next gen only support that won't be happening on Wii U. It's also getting more enhanced versions of current gen game than Wii U is getting. Third Party support will start to transition to the next gen, but the majority of it will skip Wii U. I also find it ironic that you're telling people to quit complaining about Nintnedo, but you have complained to no end about PS3.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

KAHN

even if the WiiU fails, they have TONS of money, so they wont be forced to make only software. they've been in the business for a LONG time.
also, WiiU doesn't have DRM. i guarantee Xbox One will bomb because it's DRM. once that happens, the only other competitor is Sony, so it'll be an easier competition than before. and if PS4 has DRM... good lord i hope it doesn't, but if it DOES, i don't think it will fail, but WiiU will sell more, maybe not as much as PS4, but it'll sell more. only time will tell though.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

SCRAPPER392

@Jaz007
How do you know enhanced ports are happening? The difference between Watch_Dogs on Wii U vs. PS4, will be GamePad support and Miiverse on Wii U, and one more particle added to the explosions on the PS4 version.
Obviously, I'm making this up, but the only thing you're right about, is the exclusive deals they're making. Nintendo has Monster Hunter, W101, Bayonetta 2, Nintendo IP games, and Sonic.
We haven't seen very much info on PS4 or Xbox One at all yet, and we all know 3rd parties are waiting until the next gen consoles from Xbox One and PS4 before they do anything.
The whole 3rd party mess isn't Nintendo's fault. It's 3rd party companies not knowing what they're in for, and running in head first.
It's gonna be very ironic when people find out Wii U was strictly building an install base this whole time, and has possibly 8 million units sold by the end of the year, and the other consoles have like 2 million.

Qwest

Jaz007

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jaz007
How do you know enhanced ports are happening? The difference between Watch_Dogs on Wii U vs. PS4, will be GamePad support and Miiverse on Wii U, and one more particle added to the explosions on the PS4 version.
Obviously, I'm making this up, but the only thing you're right about, is the exclusive deals they're making. Nintendo has Monster Hunter, W101, Bayonetta 2, Nintendo IP games, and Sonic.
We haven't seen very much info on PS4 or Xbox One at all yet, and we all know 3rd parties are waiting until the next gen consoles from Xbox One and PS4 before they do anything.
The whole 3rd party mess isn't Nintendo's fault. It's 3rd party companies not knowing what they're in for, and running in head first.
It's gonna be very ironic when people find out Wii U was strictly building an install base this whole time, and has possibly 8 million units sold by the end of the year, and the other consoles have like 2 million.

The PS4 version of Watch Dogs will have better AI, use the dualshock 4's touchpad in addition to better graphics. It will be a immersive world. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the next gen versions of the next NFS, COD, and others will be better on next gen consoles. The next gen versions of these games will also have all have all of the PS4's social features.

Jaz007

SCRAPPER392

@Jaz007
Dude. The Wii U is part of the 8th gen. That's next gen for Sony and Microsoft, while it's current gen for Nintendo.
Nintendo's equivalent of the social features on PS4, is Miiverse, and they aren't even finished maximizing the OS. We still have the summer update.
The touch pad/Dual Shock 4 doesn't have anything on the GamePad.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

GoombaSlayer

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jaz007
How do you know enhanced ports are happening? The difference between Watch_Dogs on Wii U vs. PS4.

Well.. its not (just) all about the few multiplatform games that also will arrive on Wii U and how they will compare to the versions for the more powerful Playstation 4 and Xbox One. Its more about all the multiplatform games that arent coming to Wii U at all but are being announced for Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Destiny, Dying Light, Diablo III, FIFA 14, PES 14, NBA 2K14, NBA 14, Need for Speed: Rivals, Wolfenstein: New Order, Battlefield 4 and The Evil Within, to name some.

PS4 and Xbox One are getting a lot of the "Past-gen" games, Wii U arent, despite actually having more in common with the PS360-platforms in terms of hardware.

GoombaSlayer

SCRAPPER392

We ultimately don't know anything about the situation until all the consoles are available, and we see how well they do first hand.
Nintendo hasn't done anything with Wii U yet that can define it as an 8th generation console.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Popcorn

This thread made my eyes bleed. I need a Band-Aid.

Nintendo Network : Popcorn
3ds FC: 2621-2651-7547
Animal Crossing New Leaf Fruit: Pear

SCRAPPER392

BTW, the Wii U OS isn't completed yet. You'd be surprised how important an OS is to make proper use of the hardware.

Qwest

Chrono_Cross

Nintendo will not become a Playstation or Xbox-platform. Because they arent those companies. I dont really see why people want all consoles to be about the same things. As long as we dont have one single video-game platform i think that we should encourage companies that doesnt want the same thing as much as we can. Especially when it doesnt include DRM and such negative ingredients.

No one here wants Nintendo to be exactly like its competition. If anything, some of us just want Nintendo to have great relationships with third parties and be a profitable system. Your assumptions are ignorant, I'm afraid.

Nintendo have worked like this since Nintendo 64. It was the same with Gamecube. Wii had more third-party support but it was not from EA or those publishers or those kind of games. So even though Wii was a huge commercial success the PS360-third party wasnt interested. Even if Wii U had sold a bunch to date publishers like Bethesda or Valve would make games for it. They are not the developers or audiences that Nintendo are after. Never will be.

You should read my post again. Nintendo's Wii U will not have the positive reception the Wii once did. Casuals have the Wii which, believe it or not, is all they need. The Wii U, as of now, only targets the core fanbase and no one else. Even if this has been going on since 1996, this is a problem for Nintendo whether you realize it or not.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.