Wii U Forum

Topic: Who won the "next-gen" launch? (According to Jim Sterling)

Showing 41 to 60 of 60

AuthorMessage
Avatar

micronean

41. Posted:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

@skywake I think inFAMOUS: Second Son could very easily be the killer app for the PS4. Heck, I haven't played a Sony console since the good ol' PS2 and I'm thinking of jumping back to it solely for that game. I still haven't found myself a killer app for the Wii U yet, and I'm looking for every excuse to buy one.

Have you played the first InFamous? It really wasn't all that. It's a good game, but it's definitely not a great game. I pretty much just got by shooting the bad guys with my sniper powers from across building rooftops. And once I cleared it, the game never made me want to play it all over again. It's the typical action game, nothing more. I don't know what the big deal is waiting for its sequel if it's going to be the same thing as the last...especially since the storyline at the end of the game made it pretty much impossible to have a sequel.

I hadn't bought a nintendo system since the SNES, ever since I've been buying Sony. But, this generation I got BORED of playing the same old thing on PS3. It was like playing on PS2, but without any of the excitement. Before I put down any money on Sony or Microsoft this time, I will patiently wait until they get an exclusive-to-its-generation GOTY candidate, and not a moment sooner.

micronean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

42. Posted:

micronean wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

@skywake I think inFAMOUS: Second Son could very easily be the killer app for the PS4. Heck, I haven't played a Sony console since the good ol' PS2 and I'm thinking of jumping back to it solely for that game. I still haven't found myself a killer app for the Wii U yet, and I'm looking for every excuse to buy one.

Have you played the first InFamous? It really wasn't all that. It's a good game, but it's definitely not a great game. I pretty much just got by shooting the bad guys with my sniper powers from across building rooftops. And once I cleared it, the game never made me want to play it all over again. It's the typical action game, nothing more. I don't know what the big deal is waiting for its sequel if it's going to be the same thing as the last...especially since the storyline at the end of the game made it pretty much impossible to have a sequel.

I hadn't bought a nintendo system since the SNES, ever since I've been buying Sony. But, this generation I got BORED of playing the same old thing on PS3. It was like playing on PS2, but without any of the excitement. Before I put down any money on Sony or Microsoft this time, I will patiently wait until they get an exclusive-to-its-generation GOTY candidate, and not a moment sooner.

lol

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SpookyMeths

43. Posted:

micronean wrote:

I hadn't bought a nintendo system since the SNES, ever since I've been buying Sony. But, this generation I got BORED of playing the same old thing on PS3. It was like playing on PS2, but without any of the excitement. Before I put down any money on Sony or Microsoft this time, I will patiently wait until they get an exclusive-to-its-generation GOTY candidate, and not a moment sooner.

I'ma let you finish, but Gamecube and PS3 both had a huge amount of great exclusive content.

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

44. Posted:

micronean wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

@skywake I think inFAMOUS: Second Son could very easily be the killer app for the PS4. Heck, I haven't played a Sony console since the good ol' PS2 and I'm thinking of jumping back to it solely for that game. I still haven't found myself a killer app for the Wii U yet, and I'm looking for every excuse to buy one.

Have you played the first InFamous? It really wasn't all that. It's a good game, but it's definitely not a great game. I pretty much just got by shooting the bad guys with my sniper powers from across building rooftops. And once I cleared it, the game never made me want to play it all over again. It's the typical action game, nothing more. I don't know what the big deal is waiting for its sequel if it's going to be the same thing as the last...especially since the storyline at the end of the game made it pretty much impossible to have a sequel.

I hadn't bought a nintendo system since the SNES, ever since I've been buying Sony. But, this generation I got BORED of playing the same old thing on PS3. It was like playing on PS2, but without any of the excitement. Before I put down any money on Sony or Microsoft this time, I will patiently wait until they get an exclusive-to-its-generation GOTY candidate, and not a moment sooner.

You seem like the sort either without an Imagination or don't follow serial media. The whole point the new game has a sub title is that it takes place seven years after the ending of INFAMOUS 2 (it seems you didn't realize that existed)

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

45. Posted:

micronean wrote:

I hadn't bought a nintendo system since the SNES, ever since I've been buying Sony. But, this generation I got BORED of playing the same old thing on PS3. It was like playing on PS2, but without any of the excitement. Before I put down any money on Sony or Microsoft this time, I will patiently wait until they get an exclusive-to-its-generation GOTY candidate, and not a moment sooner.

Glad to see you came to your senses and got off the same old ride. ;) That's how my PS3 experiences felt, the same as they did on the PS2 but with that expected next gen visual pissaz + HD & widescreen....it all looked stunning at first, but you get used to it....and what you're left with are game play experiences that could of already been done on the PS2. The same could be said going from an XBOX to an XBOX 360(which i also owned for about a year after giving up on it), and it's going to be the same flippin' ordeal all over again with the One and PS4 but with more spit, polish and sparkle. I'm growing bored of it all, but i'll admit i'm rather picky these days not to mention a teeny bit jaded, plus i'm now a full fledged NintenZoid , where as before i dipped in everything that ranged from Nintendo, Sega, Sony(PS1 was fantastic) and those superior tiger electronic hand helds. ;)

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Phatosaurus

46. Posted:

Jim Sterling is clickbait personified.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

47. Posted:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Jim Sterling is clickbait personified.

Jim Sterling is no Johnathon homes, but his reviews are still pretty entertaining and well written you have to admit.

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

48. Posted:

I think Rawmeatcowboy is still my favorite Video Game media dude. Him or maybe Garnett Lee.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Phatosaurus

49. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Jim Sterling is clickbait personified.

Jim Sterling is no Johnathon homes, but his reviews are still pretty entertaining and well written you have to admit.

I'm not a fan of his reviews. I feel he often gives out scores for the sake of controversy and clicks.
I like some of his youtube stuff that he has done lately and i like fair amount of his Jimquisition videos. I don't always agree with the JQ videos, but he usually presents a balanced argument for why he feels a certain way on whatever topic he's discussing. Usually.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

micronean

50. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

micronean wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

@skywake I think inFAMOUS: Second Son could very easily be the killer app for the PS4. Heck, I haven't played a Sony console since the good ol' PS2 and I'm thinking of jumping back to it solely for that game. I still haven't found myself a killer app for the Wii U yet, and I'm looking for every excuse to buy one.

Have you played the first InFamous? It really wasn't all that. It's a good game, but it's definitely not a great game. I pretty much just got by shooting the bad guys with my sniper powers from across building rooftops. And once I cleared it, the game never made me want to play it all over again. It's the typical action game, nothing more. I don't know what the big deal is waiting for its sequel if it's going to be the same thing as the last...especially since the storyline at the end of the game made it pretty much impossible to have a sequel.

I hadn't bought a nintendo system since the SNES, ever since I've been buying Sony. But, this generation I got BORED of playing the same old thing on PS3. It was like playing on PS2, but without any of the excitement. Before I put down any money on Sony or Microsoft this time, I will patiently wait until they get an exclusive-to-its-generation GOTY candidate, and not a moment sooner.

You seem like the sort either without an Imagination or don't follow serial media. The whole point the new game has a sub title is that it takes place seven years after the ending of INFAMOUS 2 (it seems you didn't realize that existed)

In my case, I finished the game and moved on. I certainly wasn't glued to my seat waiting for the sequel. There are better games than inFamous 1, and I'm positive there will be better games than its sequel. It's only an opinion, mind you, but there are better games to wait for. InFamous is NOT a system seller.

micronean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockybalboa

51. Posted:

Out of the 3, I think the xbox one won the launch battle. Interesting system, best controller and online, best launch titles and the two best looking games of the year with Ryse and Forza. Wii U second but it didn't have any killer launch titles and ps4 last because well yawn

rockybalboa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

52. Posted:

rockybalboa wrote:

Out of the 3, I think the xbox one won the launch battle. Interesting system, best controller and online, best launch titles and the two best looking games of the year with Ryse and Forza. Wii U second but it didn't have any killer launch titles and ps4 last because well yawn

Now that's a laugh and a half. You mean the polished up XBOX 360 controller with next gen rumble built in the triggers? far from exciting. The Wii U Gamepad stomps both of the twins regurgitated 'safe' efforts.

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

53. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

rockybalboa wrote:

Out of the 3, I think the xbox one won the launch battle. Interesting system, best controller and online, best launch titles and the two best looking games of the year with Ryse and Forza. Wii U second but it didn't have any killer launch titles and ps4 last because well yawn

Now that's a laugh and a half. You mean the polished up XBOX 360 controller with next gen rumble built in the triggers? far from exciting. The Wii U Gamepad stomps both of the twins regurgitated 'safe' efforts.

give the guy some credit at least he was original, most people that don't say Nintendo is the best say it is behind both MS and Sony. he put Nintendo in the middle of the scale ;)

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SphericalCrusher

54. Posted:

micronean wrote:

If the Wii U won the "next-gen" launch, then it won by default, because--really--all three launches were pretty bad. And it's pretty telling that the only "killer app" (that being Super Mario 3d world) has come out one full year since launch--and on the weakest system!

Could that mean that PS4/Xbox one titles that are worth buying a new system for will also take a full year to release? possibly even longer due to their hardware?

Sorry, but the WiiU did not have a "pretty bad" launch — it had a great launch. What followed though, was a lack of games and constant delays of games which hurt it. I consider the WiiU to be up there with the launch of the Dreamcast, in terms of greatness at launch. I bought 9 games at WiiU launch and that does not include any of the ports (Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman, etc)

Edited on by SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter: th3crush3r

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockybalboa

55. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

rockybalboa wrote:

Out of the 3, I think the xbox one won the launch battle. Interesting system, best controller and online, best launch titles and the two best looking games of the year with Ryse and Forza. Wii U second but it didn't have any killer launch titles and ps4 last because well yawn

Now that's a laugh and a half. You mean the polished up XBOX 360 controller with next gen rumble built in the triggers? far from exciting. The Wii U Gamepad stomps both of the twins regurgitated 'safe' efforts.

I love the gamepad really love the gamepad but I'm not a fan Of the loose thumbsticks and the over sensitive triggers plus as much as I hate to say it, in game the touchpad is largely useless. The xbox one controller is building upon the near perfect 360 controller in all positive ways. The dualshock 4 is improved over the terrible but.its still not good. Still too small. Get hand cramps, still feels like its broken while holding and that touch strip is a hilariously stupid idea.

Edited on by rockybalboa

rockybalboa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

56. Posted:

SphericalCrusher wrote:

micronean wrote:

If the Wii U won the "next-gen" launch, then it won by default, because--really--all three launches were pretty bad. And it's pretty telling that the only "killer app" (that being Super Mario 3d world) has come out one full year since launch--and on the weakest system!

Could that mean that PS4/Xbox one titles that are worth buying a new system for will also take a full year to release? possibly even longer due to their hardware?

Sorry, but the WiiU did not have a "pretty bad" launch — it had a great launch. What followed though, was a lack of games and constant delays of games which hurt it. I consider the WiiU to be up there with the launch of the Dreamcast, in terms of greatness at launch. I bought 9 games at WiiU launch and that does not include any of the ports (Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman, etc)

So true. Contrasted to the Xbox One and PS4, the Wii U had a SPECTACULAR launch, and this is coming from someone with a launch console who did experience some of those random freezes and such. The game offerings were better, the system hardware was more stable, and its online functionality wasn't anywhere near as crazy. The Gamepad delivered on its promises (unlike both Kinect and Camera), and at that point there was a healthy dosage of third-party offerings, many of which were either new or just a couple weeks behind releases on the other platforms. It's hilarious to see the double-standards: I don't see anyone complaining about Ghosts on Xbox One: it came out a few weeks later on the new console. According to the way the internet bashed titles like Assassin's Creed 3 and Arkham City on Wii U, that span of time should be lambasted and laid out for the dogs. But alas, I haven't seen a single complaint.

Edited on by theblackdragon

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

57. Posted:

rockybalboa wrote:

CountWavula wrote:

rockybalboa wrote:

Out of the 3, I think the xbox one won the launch battle. Interesting system, best controller and online, best launch titles and the two best looking games of the year with Ryse and Forza. Wii U second but it didn't have any killer launch titles and ps4 last because well yawn

Now that's a laugh and a half. You mean the polished up XBOX 360 controller with next gen rumble built in the triggers? far from exciting. The Wii U Gamepad stomps both of the twins regurgitated 'safe' efforts.

I love the gamepad really love the gamepad but I'm not a fan Of the loose thumbsticks and the over sensitive triggers plus as much as I hate to say it, in game the touchpad is largely useless. The xbox one controller is building upon the near perfect 360 controller in all positive ways. The dualshock 4 is improved over the terrible but.its still not good. Still too small. Get hand cramps, still feels like its broken while holding and that touch strip is a hilariously stupid idea.

Have you played ZombiU? It uses the touchscreen very well and I never felt like I had the wrong controller in my hands. Also Ryse may look good but the gameplay is very dull. I have no comment on Forza as I am not that big into racing games.

rallydefault wrote:

there was a healthy dosage of third-party offerings, many of which were either new or just a couple weeks behind releases on the other platforms. It's hilarious to see the double-standards: I don't see anyone complaining about Ghosts on Xbox One: it came out a few weeks later on the new console. According to the way the internet bashed titles like Assassin's Creed 3 and Arkham City on Wii U, that span of time should be lambasted and laid out for the dogs. But alas, I haven't seen a single complaint.

Arkham City was about a year later on Wii U but I agree with Assassin's Creed 3

Edited on by DefHalan

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

58. Posted:

What's the deal with Resogun? It looks like a spiritual sequel to Stardust HD 'gone 2D' with prettier explosions & effects. Meh, just doesn't look like my cup of tea considering it's another repetitive Arcadey' point racker.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

59. Posted:

What one person considers a system seller for them personally doesn't automatically count as a "system seller". Personally I did pick up a Wii U at launch for Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros U, Off-TV Play and the promise of Rayman Legends. However I wouldn't call any of those things "system sellers". Equally some people might be convinced that the PS4/XBOne are worth getting right now for the features/software they have. However that doesn't mean that those things are automatically what everyone would agree is a "system seller".

A good game is a game people buy for a system you would have got anyway or already own. A system seller is a game that convinces people not interested in a platform to invest in it purely for that game.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockybalboa

60. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

rockybalboa wrote:

CountWavula wrote:

rockybalboa wrote:

Out of the 3, I think the xbox one won the launch battle. Interesting system, best controller and online, best launch titles and the two best looking games of the year with Ryse and Forza. Wii U second but it didn't have any killer launch titles and ps4 last because well yawn

Now that's a laugh and a half. You mean the polished up XBOX 360 controller with next gen rumble built in the triggers? far from exciting. The Wii U Gamepad stomps both of the twins regurgitated 'safe' efforts.

I love the gamepad really love the gamepad but I'm not a fan Of the loose thumbsticks and the over sensitive triggers plus as much as I hate to say it, in game the touchpad is largely useless. The xbox one controller is building upon the near perfect 360 controller in all positive ways. The dualshock 4 is improved over the terrible but.its still not good. Still too small. Get hand cramps, still feels like its broken while holding and that touch strip is a hilariously stupid idea.

Have you played ZombiU? It uses the touchscreen very well and I never felt like I had the wrong controller in my hands. Also Ryse may look good but the gameplay is very dull. I have no comment on Forza as I am not that big into raci
ng games.

rallydefault wrote:

there was a healthy dosage of third-party offerings, many of which were either new or just a couple weeks behind releases on the other platforms. It's hilarious to see the double-standards: I don't see anyone complaining about Ghosts on Xbox One: it came out a few weeks later on the new console. According to the way the internet bashed titles like Assassin's Creed 3 and Arkham City on Wii U, that span of time should be lambasted and laid out for the dogs. But alas, I haven't seen a single complaint.

Arkham City was about a year later on Wii U but I agree with Assassin's Creed 3

Yeah I love zombiu but it becomes very dull and very tedious very quickly. Actually that game and Ryse have alot in common. They both show off what the system can do very well but in long play sessions thry become very boring and they're both games thatd I'd like to see a sequel to.

rockybalboa