Forums

Topic: Where Does Nintendo Go From Here?

Posts 221 to 240 of 268

UGXwolf

@Bolt_Strike: it's not a matter of just selecting someone. There's a lot that'll happen behind the scenes and how fast it gets done will likely depend a lot on how busy Miyamoto and Takeda are with their usual jobs and the added responsibilities of acting CEO. They're gonna have to clearbit with the heads of the company, the board of directors, check shareholder records for approval ratings, get approval from/convince the new CEO to step in, then find a way to relocate, transfer, and orient him without hurting his existing workload and on top of that, who's to say they won't give him a trial period? They don't have to announce him as soon as he hits office. They can wait until they're sure he'll fit. But it also depends on when they started/plan on starting. Don't underestimate how little we know about anything Nintendo is currently doing. We could hear an official statement tomorrow or early next year. There's no way to be sure.

@RallyDefault That's something we (mostly) agree on. I will, however, point out that there are controllers for mobile gaming and further suggest that you give Fallout Shelter a shot, if you have an iPhone. It may not be your genre of choice, but I for one think the way they handle the free-to-play model is something Nintendo should really aim for.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Henmii wrote:

@Bolt_Strike,

I guess we hear it in a couple of months. They need time, wich is understandable. In the mean time, Miyamoto and Takeda seem to be running the company.

Months? Does it really take that long to pick a CEO? I can't imagine how it would take longer than a week. Maybe two if they're having trouble agreeing.

Like UGXwolf said there is a lot of work in picking a CEO. But that said, I doubt shareholders feel comfortable holding a stock with no announced CEO for an extended period of time. Heck, even as a big fan, I myself was so unsure that I sold the few Nintendo shares I have. There is going to be pressure to expedite things and announce as soon as possible.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

erv

Henmii wrote:

"You have to watch yourself - you need to be very politically correct when you speak of mobile experiences these days; it's becoming accepted that we must acknowledge them as "full" game releases, or else you'll be accused of being close-minded and the forum justice league will be after you immediatley. Watch - after this, we'll be bombarded with a list of excellent mobile games. Just grin and bear it"

Lol
I know, every platform does have something good. I am sure some good mobile games do exist, but I prefer the "bigger" stuff on my Nintendo console.

Well goes to show vocal advocates are everywhere, not just at nintendo fansites.

I agree I really like the bigger stuff on nintendo consoles, but what’s more interesting is the point at which nintendo has announced their involvement in mobile. Consider the arc with which the quality of the apps went and you’ll see it won’t take long for the platform to be taken seriously from a gaming standpoint. It’s not there yet, but the quality in its more premium outings is climbing faster. There’s a handful of omissions in terms of mechanics that’ll have to remedy it as a gaming platform though. There’s SO much crap and bite sized games out there, it’s hard to discover the proper great games without significant help. Most sites, for now, focus on reviewing and sharing any type of game, so they are not helping - yet. If quality gaming and gameplay material and depth of experience take a front seat somewhere, you’ll soon find the mobile platform to be the biggest handheld platform ever.

Nintendo knows this and sees this. I don’t think a nintendo controller for your mobile devices is too far fetched of a concept in the future.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Anyway, mobile is interesting. Not to my tastes in the slightest, but it is interesting. In my view, mobile's biggest problem is its controls. They, uhm...well... they don't have any, traditionally speaking. There are no button inputs. Even the Wiimote still held onto a few buttons here and there, but smart phones=zero. And unless you START gaming on a smartphone, the total absence of buttons is going to feel pretty darn restrictive; it's a big hurdle to get over. Having no tactile feedback... 'tis weird.

It's not particularly weird, you develop for the devices that people have. Mobile has it's own particular restrictions and so naturally the games are built within that space. Personally I kinda like some of the ideas that have come from that niche. Mobile gaming to me is kinda like the modern equivalent of the crossword in the paper. And I don't see how that's any different to Tetris, Picross or Brain Training. If Nintendo starts to dabble in that on mobile instead of their own hardware? That's fine. If it's something I'm not into then I'll just continue to ignore it.... but odds are some of it will be good.

What's weird is that people will point this out and then in the same breath try to argue that dedicated portable systems are dead. Mobile will never fully replace portable gaming unless people start buying "gaming" phones with longer battery life and dedicated buttons. And people aren't going to buy gaming phones. Or at the very least we can be fairly sure that Apple, Samsung and HTC are not going to make gaming phones. So I don't see that much changing anytime soon.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

@skywake: "It's not particularly weird." No, your statement should read: IN MY OPINION it's not particularly weird.

That's the only real issue I have with most of your posts - either intentionally or unintentionally, you try to pass off your opinion as fact. And that statement was a good example of that trend you have going.

Anyway, trust me: for lots of gamers out there, gaming on a mobile device that has zero pressable buttons/therefore no actual tactile feedback IS quite weird. Maybe it isn't for you, but "you" are not everyone.

Some of the most concrete foundations of gaming have relied on button presses and button press combinations. One of the most famousest of "nerdy" culture is the Konami code, inputted with the help of none other than button presses. I never said not having buttons is WORSE, I just said it's a definite hurdle that needs to be adapted to, and yes, it's weird for me and many other people to get used to.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

@skywake: "It's not particularly weird." No, your statement should read: IN MY OPINION it's not particularly weird. That's the only real issue I have with most of your posts - either intentionally or unintentionally, you try to pass off your opinion as fact. And that statement was a good example of that trend you have going.

No need to get so worked up. I didn't say what I said was fact I was just making an observation. All I was saying was that developers develop for the platforms that exist. There's nothing weird about that. And there are some games which fit those platforms really well. The more popular genres on mobile like strategy games and match 3 puzzle games work better with a touch screen. That doesn't automatically make them not "real" games and there's nothing weird about it.

rallydefault wrote:

Anyway, trust me: for lots of gamers out there, gaming on a mobile device that has zero pressable buttons/therefore no actual tactile feedback IS quite weird. Maybe it isn't for you, but "you" are not everyone.

Or maybe you could just read my post before lecturing me. I made a point of saying that mobile wasn't "weird" and in-fact had a place and was a valid part of the gaming landscape. For sure. But I also said that mobile gaming doesn't replace a dedicated portable gaming machine. To repeat myself with emphasis, mobile will never fully replace portable gaming unless people start buying "gaming" phones with longer battery life and dedicated buttons. People aren't going to buy gaming phones and we can be fairly sure that Apple, Samsung and HTC are not going to make gaming phones.

In short I'm agreeing with you.... and you still want to have a go at me

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Socar

@skywake: Agreed. There is no way in hell that Mobile is the new way of playing games when in reality, its just a under performed phone that works a LOT like the Wii tbh.

I just noticed something. Nearly every single game that I've played on the phone requires internet in some sort. There was one time where I wanted to play Sonic Runners and when my internet stopped, the game like literally crashed or that I can't play it anymore. Granted, the game itself suffers a LOT especially with the bugs and crashes (not to mention its use of microtransactions) but at least I feel that SEGA made a decent Sonic game on a phone.

But even if mobile phones acted as a dedicated gaming console, I doubt that it would sell well compared to other phones because when buying a phone, you can easily get them at cheap prices but a gaming console isn't always that easy to do that which is probably one reason why Nintendo didn't want to approach it in that angle. Because if such a thing is to happen, that needs to compete against Google's Android and Apple's IOS who are likely to buy the thing rather than accept to face competition.

I feel that instead of Nintendo making cheap games on phones, they can do something like giving players short burst of fun and then advertise the players that they can get more fun by simply buying their products. While this is just like a mobile game, its atleast not sounding like having microtransactions in games. Simply moving over to mobile gaming when you face a competition that's very unlikely to give a huge sum of revenue. Even if Nintendo does go with the times and makes games on phones and since Nintendo wants to offer new ways of playing games, they are sooner or later going to realize that there is so little one can do on a phone.

I also want to argue that if Nintendo were to make a console with a basic controller, they are not going to make it any powerful than the PS4 but only slightly more powerful than the Wii U. Why? Because of high cost. Nintendo wants to do things that are always at low costs which honestly makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

rallydefault

@Artwark: There were a couple gaming phones back in the day. Gosh, I don't even remember what they were called, but they were specifically marketed toward gamers and were at a time where "smart" phones (I guess they were becoming "smart" by that point, haha) still had physical keypads, so these gaming phones had arrow keys and inputs and all that, and they made phone calls like regular cell phones.

Needless to say, it didn't turn out well haha

Man, I wish I could remember some of the names. There were 1 or 2 that were marketed pretty heavily in the U.S., at least.

rallydefault

Sleepingmudkip

I can honestly see in 2 to 4 years a smartphone becomes more powerful then at least the wii U

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

DefHalan

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

I can honestly see in 2 to 4 years a smartphone becomes more powerful then at least the wii U

Battery Life = 4 hours

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TuVictus

Not necessarily. The iPhone 6 can output impressive graphics and has an amazing battery life. The thing is, it also costs like 3x the amount of a 3DS if not more. So yeah I could see phones being that powerful, but they're gonna be $600+ when they're released as usual.

TuVictus

Sleepingmudkip

DefHalan wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Battery Life = 4 hours

True but finding a way to have a longer but smaller battery is technology that is being researched by many companies so who knows, technology is a fast and unpredictable thing.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

rallydefault wrote:

@Artwark: There were a couple gaming phones back in the day. Gosh, I don't even remember what they were called, but they were specifically marketed toward gamers and were at a time where "smart" phones (I guess they were becoming "smart" by that point, haha) still had physical keypads, so these gaming phones had arrow keys and inputs and all that, and they made phone calls like regular cell phones.

Needless to say, it didn't turn out well haha

Man, I wish I could remember some of the names. There were 1 or 2 that were marketed pretty heavily in the U.S., at least.

The N-Gage was one of them.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TuVictus

SuperWiiU wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Battery Life = 4 hours

= Wii U Gamepad battery life.

And that's being the most generous you could be

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Socar

I don't mind if the CEO can't be as memorable as Iwata. I just want him to not rush development and tarnish that quality that Nintendo is known for and not using microtransactions on an actual console game. Or anything that's ridiculous like going third party. I don't mind if Nintendo has to give up the Wii U and 3DS but I just want Nintendo to be themselves and nothing else.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

rallydefault

@Bolt_Strike: Ah, yes! The N-Gage! I remember seeing that thing in the stores! Thank you for jogging my memory.

rallydefault

Bolt_Strike

rallydefault wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: Ah, yes! The N-Gage! I remember seeing that thing in the stores! Thank you for jogging my memory.

Yeah, I remember seeing it in Gamestop. I think the N-Gage was just ahead of its time, there wasn't much of a need for a game console that could work as a phone back then. That, and from what I remember of the lineup it was incredibly lackluster.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Yeah, I remember seeing it in Gamestop. I think the N-Gage was just ahead of its time, there wasn't much of a need for a game console that could work as a phone back then. That, and from what I remember of the lineup it was incredibly lackluster.

I think one of the N-Gage's problems was targeting the "hard-core" audience first.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.