Forums

Topic: Where Does Nintendo Go From Here?

Posts 201 to 220 of 268

NintendoFan64

@TwilightAngel I'm just gonna wait and see how well he does, and then I'll judge him.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

UGXwolf

@Henmii: I dont mind if you don't like or appreciate mobile games. I just want people to stop treating it as if it's a lesser form of entertainment. The real problem mobile games face is longevity. That's something a lot of the industry needs to work on, but it's most present in mobile gaming. Ignoring all the political correctness, mobile gaming is just as, if not MORE viable than AAA gaming, due to lower develipment costs, much, MUCH larger install base, and a much more exploitable monetization model. It tends to get treated as a cheap cash-in market, though, when mobile gamers deserve every bit as much enjoyment as your so-called "hardcore" gamers.

Also, on that note, I want to just clarify something related to the types of gamers. 1) There's no such thing as a "real gamer." That's like "real Metal" or "real Scottsman." Don't try to make yourself appear superior by implying that others are somehow not really playing games. 2) Hardcore refers to a playstyle. Not a gamer or a type of game. Same goes for casual. I'm tired of hearing people use it as an insult or some kind of badge of pride. Most gamers play some games casually and others hardcore. Usually this coincides with what style of play the game most facilitates, but you can play any game either way.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Socar

@UGXwolf: Which is why I don't understand why Nintendo or fans in general, would need third party support when their IP is FAR more profitable than any of the third party IP's. If anything, Nintendo's image would be tarnished if third parties used their IP's to make games. Other M for example.

Third Party.....isn't something that Nintendo really needs honestly. Even if NX was something that third parties would love to port their games on, majority of them would simply port the game elsewhere (Pirates Curse for example). What Nintendo really needs to do is to either get a strong relationship between the second party developers or buy them to make them as first party. Because they have a HUGE second party developers out there and Nintendo needs them more than third party.

Not only that but these third parties need to understand the IP as well as Nintendo does so having someone who doesn't know the IP might do something that wasn't intended to be and it would end up being the worst (Eg, Barrel Blast).

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

TuVictus

Now I just disagree with that. Nintendo most definitely needs support. From anyone they can get it from. And you say Other M, I say Hyrule Warriors. They certainly can't support 2 consoles on their own, not if they want their hardware sales to go up instead of continuing their decline each generation.

TuVictus

UGXwolf

@Artwark: Well, see now, this is where things get tough. Nintendo NEEDS 3rd party support so they can keep their library growing for those of us that pick up and drop games every week. But 3rd parties can't justify putting any serious effort into the Nintendo port as all sales estimates place their game low on the priority pole for Nintendo fans. As such, Nintendo's games tend to over shadow 3rd party releases, causing 3rd party releases to be weaker, causing fans not to trust 3rd parties, as you've perfectly demonstrated, and the vicious circle goes round and round.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Sleepingmudkip

They should try to have a closer connection with disney and try to get a starwars RPG on the new system or another game using disney/pixar/Lucus...etc properties(I dont mean shovelware, I mean full on million dollar games )

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

@Henmii: I dont mind if you don't like or appreciate mobile games. I just want people to stop treating it as if it's a lesser form of entertainment. The real problem mobile games face is longevity. That's something a lot of the industry needs to work on, but it's most present in mobile gaming. Ignoring all the political correctness, mobile gaming is just as, if not MORE viable than AAA gaming, due to lower develipment costs, much, MUCH larger install base, and a much more exploitable monetization model. It tends to get treated as a cheap cash-in market, though, when mobile gamers deserve every bit as much enjoyment as your so-called "hardcore" gamers.

Of course it's going to be treated as a cheap cash-in market when they're designed as bite size experiences that force you to take frequent breaks. They're never going to be taken seriously unless they give you the option to play them like traditional games and you can sit down and spend as much time as you want on them. And even then they'd still probably be viewed as inferior to AAA console games because of the lower budget and specs.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Socar

@Operative @UGXwolf: : Hyrule Warriors was made by Tecmo Koei who are very talented and got Team Ninja and Omega Force as first party. On top of that, it was supervised by Eiji Anouma himself and he liked the idea of it something where Yoshio Sakamoto had an unlucky time when Team Ninja wasn't first party at the time of making Other M. Also some devs threaten Nintendo to the point that they have to let them use their IP's (Like when Yoshiki Okamato warned Shigeru Miyamoto that he would make a series equivalent to Zelda if he can't make a Zelda game before Oracle of Ages and Seasons happened.)

Look at devil's third. Nintendo had trust in this game and yet, it looks like it would fail their expectations. The only reason why the Wii U couldn't do well compared to the 3DS is because the install base even now is nowhere as huge as the 3DS is now. Even the 3DS doesn't have much of third party support. Can you honestly tell me that having a game by Rocksteady Studios released on Nintendo would sell just as well as in other platforms it is best suited on? Considering Blackgate not doing so well, I doubt it. Infact, how the hell is Konami not even bothered the slightest bit to support the 3DS knowing that its the best thing out here right now? Instead of getting something like Dawn of Sorrow or Contra 4, we get games that we didn't expect in the slightest.

Some would argue that had the gamecube used optical disc instead of mini discs, it would be a phenomenal for Nintendo which is completely false for two reasons

• Lots of games on the Gamecube pushed boundaries even with such limits which is true for the Genesis despite it being a bit inferior to the SNES.
  • The PS2 would still win because it not only had backwards compatibility but also, it has DVD support as well.In terms of profit, since Nintendo clearly stated that they always want to do something new while at the same time, make it affordable for everyone, I'm very positive that the next gen is mostly going to use the same architecture of the Wii U only slightly better than the Wii U and that's that. And since that's the case, it would be stupid for third parties to make their games on Nintendo systems since they are too lazy to do extra polish, so many and Nintendo themselves know that the only way they both can make some profit is to use Nintendo IP to do that and guess what? THIS IS SOMETHING NINTENDO HAS BEEN DOING FROM THE VERY BEGINNING OF TIME ITSELF!

They did it for the SNES. They did it for the Game Boy. They did it for the GBA, Gamecube and SO ON! WHY ISN'T ANYONE REALIZING THIS?!?

Also, its highly unlikely that western devs would develop any interest in using Nintendo IP because granted, while games like Skylanders prove otherwise, not evey dev would like to do so. If Criterion games were to make that F-Zero game, chances are, it would either be something that Nintendo won't like and would probably end up as a development hell, or it would just fail.

So what Nintendo needs to do inorder for them to get Nintendo profits? Three things.

• Develop interest in acquisitions like buying SEGA and maybe.....Capcom.
  • Figuring out how to increase their internal staff so that they wouldn't have to rely too much on either third or second party developers.
  • Do what they always will and always should and that's making fun games for us to play and smile!

While some can argue that Nintendo needs to get into the modern times, making online services better or providing free games is actually not something that could bring Nintendo a HUGE sum but rather, something more like icing the cake to perfect it. I'm not mentioning to not stick to mobiles because I have a feeling that its more of an experiment than an actual thing happening.

Oh and for those wishing Nintendo to go third party, guess what? Ain't gonna happen and never will happen and if it does happen.....gaming is dead for certain.

EDIT: Also can this thread be moved to either General Discussion or Other gaming because while it may be intentional, I personally don't see it fitting to the Wii U Forum.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

RR529

On the topic of mobile, while there are fantastic games on mobile, that side of the industry has a lot of growing up to do.

Abolish always online - Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest IV, and Dragon Quest V all work quite brilliantly on the touch screen, and are pay once games with no limits. However, in their infinite "wisdom" SE has made them always online games, and because of that, I haven't been able to pass the "Authenticating License" screen for the past three months on either title for no reason whatsoever. While this issue isn't exclusive to mobile, it seems most widespread here, and has no reason to exist.

Reform F2P model - You want to give people a taste of your game to entice them into paying for it? It's called a demo, and they've only been around for a couple decades or so. Heck, make the game a "free" download with only the first one or two levels available (with unlimited play), and add in a one time pay option to unlock the rest of it. There it is, a game with a built in demo.

Pressure Google & Apple into releasing official gamepads for Android & iOS - While there are a spattering of third party game pads that work for certain titles here and there, there needs to be a standard that developers can utilize. Require every game to have a touch screen control method & a gamepad control method. This will entice devs to create more traditional games (as well as port them) as there will be a widespread control option to accomodate them. Sure, the touch screen controls of these games may be overly complicated, but anyone in the market of these kinds of games would likely have already bought the official pad, anyways. It doesn't need to have any fancy tech either. Just make it durable, plug into the charging port, and have as much inputs as lets say the Dualshock 1.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Bolt_Strike

@RR529 Yeah, I think the F2P model works best when it's optional. Make it so you can pay full price for the game and bypass all of the F2P mechanics, then there's no real problem with it.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Sleepingmudkip

Nintendo really needs to repair their relationship with square enix because many nintendo fans would love more final fantasy, kingdom hears and a squeal to mario RPG.

Nintendo also needs to strengthen their relationship with capcom and bandai namco to get more japanese games on nintendo systems. It would be funny if Nintendo starts swiping japanese games from sony so that the playstaion isn't the "System for japanese games" anymore

Edited on by Sleepingmudkip

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

shaneoh wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

and a squeal to mario RPG.

Am I the only one disturbed by the thought of Mario squealing?

Pig Mario confirmed.

Bolt_Strike

shaneoh

Bolt_Strike wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

and a squeal to mario RPG.

Am I the only one disturbed by the thought of Mario squealing?

Pig Mario confirmed.

Okay a disturbing image has popped into my mind of Mario getting turned into an Italian sausage upon game over. Things can only get worse from here.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

iKhan

Getting back on topic, I have a feeling Shibata is going to be a frontrunner for the position of President and CEO. He has a lot of qualities that make him a good candidate (He's also Japanese, so he'd be on the table to the BoD).

• He has experience in management
  • He has experience interacting with the West, allowing him to maintain Iwata's visible presence.
  • He has spent years implementing Iwata's directions from NCL for NOE. I think this familiarity with Iwata's work would make him a fine leader to start the transition.
  • He's relatively young. Unlike Miyamoto, he wouldn't be retiring within a few years.

The biggest con is that he isn't located in Japan, so they would have to convince him to relocate to become CEO.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Henmii

"You have to watch yourself - you need to be very politically correct when you speak of mobile experiences these days; it's becoming accepted that we must acknowledge them as "full" game releases, or else you'll be accused of being close-minded and the forum justice league will be after you immediatley. Watch - after this, we'll be bombarded with a list of excellent mobile games. Just grin and bear it"

Lol
I know, every platform does have something good. I am sure some good mobile games do exist, but I prefer the "bigger" stuff on my Nintendo console.

Henmii

Bolt_Strike

So when should we expect them to announce the new CEO? I know it's probably not going to happen immediately, but you'd think we'd hear about this in the next few days or so.

Bolt_Strike

rallydefault

@UGXwolf: Ah, darn...so you're telling me that just because I play Destiny 8 hours a day and mock anyone who plays CandyCrush I'm not the realeast of "real" gamers? Man...so THAT'S what I've been doing wrong.

Anyway, mobile is interesting. Not to my tastes in the slightest, but it is interesting. In my view, mobile's biggest problem is its controls. They, uhm...well... they don't have any, traditionally speaking. There are no button inputs. Even the Wiimote still held onto a few buttons here and there, but smart phones=zero. And unless you START gaming on a smartphone, the total absence of buttons is going to feel pretty darn restrictive; it's a big hurdle to get over. Having no tactile feedback... 'tis weird.

Actually, there are two major problems. The second is that the mobile game industry has already been infiltrated and saturated by TERRIBLE free-to-play mechanics. Free-to-play can be done "right" (or so we think), and it can be done horrendously...by small companies and large companies alike (Square Enix...All the Bravest...AH! Make it stop!)

P.S.: But in all seriousness, Destiny is an awesome game.

rallydefault

Henmii

@Bolt_Strike,

I guess we hear it in a couple of months. They need time, wich is understandable. In the mean time, Miyamoto and Takeda seem to be running the company.

Henmii

Bolt_Strike

Henmii wrote:

@Bolt_Strike,

I guess we hear it in a couple of months. They need time, wich is understandable. In the mean time, Miyamoto and Takeda seem to be running the company.

Months? Does it really take that long to pick a CEO? I can't imagine how it would take longer than a week. Maybe two if they're having trouble agreeing.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.