Forums

Topic: Where can sales go from here? (3.91 million)

Posts 21 to 40 of 40

ninjafox

The sales for Wii U are only going to increase in October, November & December as the system has an even better selection of games available then it did during the previous quarter.
Hopefully titles like Wii Party U, SM3DW and Zelda Wind Waker will help make people interested in the Wii U.

The original tv commercial for Wii U in the UK was really clear to understand that Wii U was different from Wii as it started by saying "At last a brand new console with a brand new controller" yet Wii U sales in Europe are some of the lowest.
I love my Wii U (like the majority of Wii U owners) it's just a shame that a system that is about to have its first birthday with a great selection of titles to chose from is not in a better position and whilst the last quarters sales are still poor at least it looks like things might start to be on the up.

Think I will have to explain to family again this year about Wii U as I did my Christmas list recently and put Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World on it and shortly after my Dad said Wii U that is the personal one right!? at which point I had to explain it is a home console and plugs into the TV.
As there will be a couple of family members who were not with us last Christmas I imagine I will be showing them Wii U when they see the games are not for Wii, but at least it means some fun on Nintendo Land!

ninjafox

DudeSean

I think competition is going to help. Right now, people are asking themselves, "Should I get a Wii U or not?" Once the ps4 and x1 come out, people will be asking, "Which system should I get?" So whereas before it was a matter of whether or not they would get a new system, the question will soon become WHICH system should they get.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Sidewinder

NintendoLink wrote:

They have maybe sold 3,91 million units to stores, but only 460 000 units has been sold to customers total. Thats before the Zelda Wii U edition ofcourse.
And the amount of Wii Us being sold on the used market is not so very small either..
Even here in little Norway, used Wii Us are popping up everyday.

LOL, no. That's not right at all. NintendoLand sold over 2 million, Mario over 1, ZombiU over 500k, same with MH3U. That logic.

Sidewinder

RancidVomit86

I would say it's safe to assume they will go up. I mean I don't really see 3.91 million being the peak.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

JetForceSetGrind

NintendoLink wrote:

They have maybe sold 3,91 million units to stores, but only 460 000 units has been sold to customers total. Thats before the Zelda Wii U edition ofcourse.
And the amount of Wii Us being sold on the used market is not so very small either..

No.No. No. 3.91 million is total sales, not total shipments.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131030e.pdf

The console has been doing better in Japan alone than "Other", which includes Norway and the rest of Europe, where it is just 1.01 million in lifetime sales. North America is the strongest market right now as per usual with Nintendo home consoles.

EDIT: Also I didn't make this clear, but that's negative 10,000 sales in "Other". What's that? This post explains it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88040479&postc...

Yeah.... I'd rather not focus on European sales right now.

Edited on by JetForceSetGrind

JetForceSetGrind

shingi_70

Pretty sure sales can only go up.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

LaCru79

They did by one to day
Got a good deal so I could not resist. It was a premium with nintendo land, New Super Mario Wii U and Wind waker for the same price as the standard Premium pack.
I think there will be a boost in sales over Christmas, and whenever a large 1st party game launches (for ex Mario Kart). But I don´t think Wii U will be as big as the other two, Xbox one or PS4, but that does not bother me one bit

My FC is: 0473-8793-3927
My Mii nickname is: LaCru79

JetForceSetGrind

Three4Flinching wrote:

They did by one to day
Got a good deal so I could not resist. It was a premium with nintendo land, New Super Mario Wii U and Wind waker for the same price as the standard Premium pack.
I think there will be a boost in sales over Christmas, and whenever a large 1st party game launches (for ex Mario Kart). But I don´t think Wii U will be as big as the other two, Xbox one or PS4, but that does not bother me one bit

Untitled

JetForceSetGrind

MikeLove

DudeSean wrote:

I think competition is going to help. Right now, people are asking themselves, "Should I get a Wii U or not?" Once the ps4 and x1 come out, people will be asking, "Which system should I get?" So whereas before it was a matter of whether or not they would get a new system, the question will soon become WHICH system should they get.

Sorry, but anyone who was waiting to buy a PS4 or Xbox One for the past year won't be changing their mind at this point.

MikeLove

kkslider5552000

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

Sorry, but anyone who was waiting to buy a PS4 or Xbox One for the past year won't be changing their mind at this point.

But the majority of people won't be buying a new console this holiday season. They don't care about getting consoles ASAP.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LeVideoGamer

Up. I'm guessing 5.5-6 million consoles sold by March 2014.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/vgm/4237975235.html
Wii U owners in London, please check it out!

MikeLove

kkslider5552000 wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

But the majority of people won't be buying a new console this holiday season. They don't care about getting consoles ASAP.

More than 3 million of the 3.9 million Wii-U consoles bought so far were purchased within three months of its release. So ya.....apparently people do care about buying consoles ASAP.

Untitled

MikeLove

kkslider5552000

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

More than 3 million of the 3.9 million Wii-U consoles bought so far were purchased within three months of its release. So ya.....apparently people do care about buying consoles ASAP.

Untitled

No, that just means Nintendo has done a terrible job in 2013 at getting games that will sell their consoles and marketing to anyone other than Nintendo fans that were gonna buy it ASAP regardless. This holiday season along with the price drop and new bundles are the first time that Nintendo has done enough to actually sell their console to anyone else.

Unless you honestly think any major successful console has sold best in its first year (obviously if it doesn't sell this holiday season, Wii U being a failure would be a far more valid opinion)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

MikeLove

kkslider5552000 wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

Untitled

No, that just means Nintendo has done a terrible job in 2013 at getting games that will sell their consoles and marketing to anyone other than Nintendo fans that were gonna buy it ASAP regardless. This holiday season along with the price drop and new bundles are the first time that Nintendo has done enough to actually sell their console to anyone else.

Unless you honestly think any major successful console has sold best in its first year (obviously if it doesn't sell this holiday season, Wii U being a failure would be a far more valid opinion)

That reply was right out of the SCAR392 playbook. I'm feeling disoriented now....

You said the majority of people don't buy new consoles ASAP. I posted stats that show the majority of Wii-U consoles were sold ASAP. So people DO like to buy new consoles ASAP. Your original statement had nothing to do with the sustainment of long term sales, so why are you now changing the subject and implying I think that successful consoles must sell the most units in their first year?

MikeLove

luisesteban

PSBOX1 will sell a lot this christmas, but in the beginning of 2014 they could face problems very similars like those Wii U had during 2013. Everything new is good, but lack of games, delays, over heat or bug problems could persuade people to hold their money.

Nintendo should not care a bit of that, they just must bring good quality games, and start making big noise with their 2014 games. A Nintendo Direct with dates for Mario Kart and Bayonetta, and some other surprises in the middle november or december, could be very handy. Also the weight they gives to 3ds could hurt some sales for PSBOX1.

luisesteban

kkslider5552000

Yeah, basically Nintendo should take full advantage of having come out first. Who cares about launch day for those consoles? Like, try to win over people who were just gonna buy their new hardcore console and compete straight with Sony and Microsoft's inevitable insane hype for adults? No, that would never work and Nintendo shouldn't even care for right now at least. Their only chance this year (not saying this is a good thing that it's come to this exactly...) is with the family and younger audience. So next year when they have more games worth caring about, take advantage and learn from the typical terrible post-launch days and compete against these consoles at what will certainly be their low points.

I fully realize my entire point might be made irrelevant by some context I've missed, but that's my point. This is what Nintendo might be doing, and I think it's the best choice at this point.

CM30

luisesteban wrote:

PSBOX1 will sell a lot this christmas, but in the beginning of 2014 they could face problems very similars like those Wii U had during 2013. Everything new is good, but lack of games, delays, over heat or bug problems could persuade people to hold their money.

Nintendo should not care a bit of that, they just must bring good quality games, and start making big noise with their 2014 games. A Nintendo Direct with dates for Mario Kart and Bayonetta, and some other surprises in the middle november or december, could be very handy. Also the weight they gives to 3ds could hurt some sales for PSBOX1.

Agreed.

What people need to consider is simple; every system and game (of note) does well immediately after being released, because the early adopters tend to jump on the bandwagon without really thinking much about how good it is. These people usually consist of die hard fanboys and tech nerds (along maybe with the odd hipster). They buy consoles and games immediately based on how shiny they look, or how 'new' they are, evangelise its merits non stop for about a month or two and give the illusion that whatever game/console/product is a massive break out success.

And then a month or two goes by. The die hard fanboy numbers thin out a bit, since most of the more extreme ones have already bought the thing on day one. The early adopters only interested in tech stuff and shiny gadgets move on to the next big thing. People stop buying the things to sell them on eBay and other sites for ten times the retail price. And sales then fall through the floor. Online popularity dies down to the level it was initially.

Why?

Because the average joe often has no reason to buy the thing. For these consoles, they want a couple of games they'll enjoy, and the launch titles usually aren't it. Not a problem for the early adopter crowd (aka the 'buy because it looks nice' types), but a big problem for the well... more normal people out there. The vast majority of the thing's actual target audience. So sales slow down until the 'big name' games start showing up again.

It happened to the 3DS. It happened to the Wii U. And the same is probably gonna happen to the Xbox One and PS4 come about February 2014.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

MAB

Also the PSCRASHBOX41 is releasing in a non hype period of next year coming off the back of a tech delay which should make alarm bells ring especially if you want to pay AU$550 (PS4) & AU$600 (XBOX1)

MAB

ThePirateCaptain

@FutureAlphaMale
Did the 360 or the PS3 sell ASAP? It took both of those consoles a few years to get momentum. I don't think people rushed out to buy an Xbox 360 at launch aside from the hardcore fans. It will probably be the same case for the X1 and PS4.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

electrolite77

NintendoLink wrote:

Source? I'll save you the effort , that's wrong. I think you've got your numbers confused-they've sold 460000 of that 3.91m this financial year. If it had sold 460000 total they'd have canned it by now.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.