Wii U Forum

Topic: What's with the freezing on YouTube!?

Showing 1 to 20 of 76

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

1. Posted:

First off, I only use YouTube on the browser, not the useless app.

Anyway, up until about a week or so ago my Wii U would run YouTube videos flawlessly, but now all of the sudden every other time it freezes in one of several ways. It either just outright freezes immediately after I click play on the video before it starts to load (the bar doesn't even show up), plays for a few seconds then stops with or without a loud buzzing noise, or freezes during a moment when an ad would normally interrupt. In any case I have to shut down the system entirely and restart.

The browser only does this when running a video and never anywhere else, so what gives? Did I pick up a virus (if that's even possible)? Is there a problem with the programming? Is a wire loose? Is the connection off somehow (my Internet itself is fine btw)? And has anybody else encountered such complications?

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

2. Posted:

they messed with the browser to force people to use the useless app :p it REALLY happens sometimes... but I'm joking not making accusations(you can never be too careful <.< >.>)

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Obito_Tennyson

3. Posted:

I have the same issues. Everything's fine for me, mostly right now. However, a week or two ago, (maybe it was a month, time flies so quickly) there were these ads that would just freeze my Wii U entirely. My Mii on the touchscreen lower left just froze and I couldn't do anything, not even the Home button would work. I had to turn the entire system off again and try it again. The same exact thing happened, and it was annoying! Eventually, I got the videos to work, but for some reason, ads hate the Wii U's Internet Browser. If you get an ad that's 30 seconds or longer, then you'd have the press the "Skip Ad" button as soon as possible otherwise you'll miss the chance when the ad is over and you'd have to refresh the page. If the ad is shorter than 30 seconds, then you're better off reloading the page because it either pauses the ad right there or redirects the video to another ad. Only about 10% of the time the end of the ad would actually go straight to the video.

Friend Safari: Butterfree, Venomoth, and Volbeat (if there are any Bug Catchers out there...?)
Looking For: Ditto, Magneton Friend Safaries (please contact me if you have any)

3DS Friend Code: 2492-5497-3062 | Nintendo Network ID: JonathanTennyson | Twitter: Obito_Tennyson

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

4. Posted:

Obito_Tennyson wrote:

I have the same issues. Everything's fine for me, mostly right now. However, a week or two ago, (maybe it was a month, time flies so quickly) there were these ads that would just freeze my Wii U entirely. My Mii on the touchscreen lower left just froze and I couldn't do anything, not even the Home button would work. I had to turn the entire system off again and try it again. The same exact thing happened, and it was annoying! Eventually, I got the videos to work, but for some reason, ads hate the Wii U's Internet Browser. If you get an ad that's 30 seconds or longer, then you'd have the press the "Skip Ad" button as soon as possible otherwise you'll miss the chance when the ad is over and you'd have to refresh the page. If the ad is shorter than 30 seconds, then you're better off reloading the page because it either pauses the ad right there or redirects the video to another ad. Only about 10% of the time the end of the ad would actually go straight to the video.

Funny you say that, because I had the exact same problem around the same time. It wasn't long before it stopped doing that before this current issue arose. Odd...

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrWalkieTalkie

5. Posted:

Mine has been working fine. It's just the normal YouTube on my computer that keeps freezing.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo and Excitebiker for Smash!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

6. Posted:

I recommend deleting the internet browser cookies and reseting the browser data from time to time.

That speeds things up or defaults settings that may have happened automatically.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

7. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I recommend deleting the internet browser cookies and reseting the browser data from time to time.

That speeds things up or defaults settings that may have happened automatically.

Hats off to you my good sir! I did as you suggested and deleted the cookies, and so far I haven't had another freeze. :)

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ReindeerDasher

8. Posted:

How do you delete cookies on Wii U?

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi. Oh, and a Kid Icarus one, too, created by Cyb3rnite.
deviantART Profile

Pit - "Uh, what's a KO?"
Palutena - "Good luck, Pit."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter: KiDasharus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

9. Posted:

KiDasharus wrote:

How do you delete cookies on Wii U?

There is a wrench icon in the top right corner of the internet start screen.

The cookie, reset data, and proxy settings are there.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

10. Posted:

@KiDasharus Go to a start page (aka a new tab) and there should be a button called settings to the right of the search bar. Click on it and you're good to go.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SavageBlackWolf

11. Posted:

Deleted cookies and the stupid thing still froze.

Edited on by SavageBlackWolf

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1642-3519 Wiiu GramolkinOwl

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

12. Posted:

SavageBlackWolf wrote:

Deleted cookies and the stupid thing still froze.

That's why I suggest resetting the internet browser data, as well.

That will delete browsing history and settings(possibly automatic bad settings) and clear up space.

Filling in your bookmark page is a small price to pay to keep it running well consistently.

Whenever it's being slow for me, I just start completely fresh, re-enter my bookmarks, and I'm good to go.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ecto-1

13. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

SavageBlackWolf wrote:

Deleted cookies and the stupid thing still froze.

That's why I suggest resetting the internet browser data, as well.

That will delete browsing history and settings(possibly automatic bad settings) and clear up space.

Filling in your bookmark page is a small price to pay to keep it running well consistently.

Whenever it's being slow for me, I just start completely fresh, re-enter my bookmarks, and I'm good to go.

Unfortunately, that does not resolve the problem. I've cleared my systems cookies and reset it's browser data, and Youtube is still locking the system up. Like the original poster said, I wasn't seeing this issue until about a week ago, and nothing seems to give my system any trouble except for youtube videos. I think youtube may have accidentally broken something again (like they did late last year when we had to use the embed link to get videos to play). By the way, my system freezes even when trying to use the embed version of videos.

Boo! I'm a ghost.
Check out my Rytmik songs on Youtube
Colors 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3566-1553-9977 | Nintendo Network ID: ECTO-1989

AuthorMessage
Avatar

joeyman

14. Posted:

I had this problem too. I deleted my cookies of reset browser data and it still didn't work. About a week ago though it just randomly fixed itself but just a couple of hours ago it started freezing again.

joeyman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

15. Posted:

This has been happening to me for weeks. I reset my data like every two days just to keep it running.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

16. Posted:

Ok, resetting my data doesn't even work anymore.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

17. Posted:

Hmmm... I haven't had any problems that deleting data wasn't able to fix. The only other place where the issue could be is within your router.

If your router is working fine, then I don't really know what else to suggest, but it varies from person to person what "fine" means.

I never have port forwarding or DMZ on. Sometimes those settings can cause issues, that's why I just leave them alone.

I don't think the Wii U connects to Nintendo's servers to access standard internet, so that could be an issue if you have your router set up to direct you to Nintendo's servers.

I hope that makes sense. I just figure that could be a problem when you don't need special settings to connect to a specific server/network.

EDIT: Do any of you have port forwarding, DMZ, or any other specific settings active on your router?

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

18. Posted:

@SCAR392 But a problem with the router wouldn't freeze my console, would it? and I'm not sure, I'll check.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

1337man1233

19. Posted:

there has been a new youtube update doesnt do much but it could the problem

1337man1233

AuthorMessage
Avatar

invmat

20. Posted:

I have exactly the same problem!

But the catch is: Only user accounts without a Nintendo Network ID have this problem on my Wii U console. When I use my own account with a Nintendo Network ID , I didn't get any freezing.

So, to those of you with the freezing issues: Did you get those freezes when you used an user account with a Nintendo Network ID?

My Wii FC´s