Wii U Forum

Topic: What's Wii mode?

Showing 21 to 37 of 37

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

21. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Wii mode is a very bad and unneccesary idea. Just have VC, WiiWare, and Wii games playable on the Wii U interface, and all downloadable games available in one place, the Wii U eShop.

The whole point of Wii mode is for compatibility. The WiiU hardware is different from the Wii hardware, and therefore has to have an environment set to run in. The Wii mode to the WiiU is like XP Mode for Windows 7. You try running your average Windows XP program in windows 7, and see how well it works, if at all.

brooks83 wrote:

But then again I guess they couldn't sell you the same games again (in HD!) if it were like that.

People like you sicken me.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

22. Posted:

Discostew wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Wii mode is a very bad and unneccesary idea. Just have VC, WiiWare, and Wii games playable on the Wii U interface, and all downloadable games available in one place, the Wii U eShop.

The whole point of Wii mode is for compatibility. The WiiU hardware is different from the Wii hardware, and therefore has to have an environment set to run in. The Wii mode to the WiiU is like XP Mode for Windows 7. You try running your average Windows XP program in windows 7, and see how well it works, if at all.

brooks83 wrote:

But then again I guess they couldn't sell you the same games again (in HD!) if it were like that.

People like you sicken me.

How do I sicken you? As someone who has probably spent close to $500 on VC/WiiWare, the thought of having to re-buy all those games to get save states or whatever other new features does not sound very appealing. Seriously, elaborate on your comment. Why do I sicken you? Because I dare assume that Nintendo might try and sell us the games again? Do you truly believe they won't? You do realize that Nintendo is a company that is in existence to make money, right?

And before you say it, yes I realize that Nintendo doesn't even have to let us transfer over VC/Wiiware games over, so I do give them props for that. But they have been awfully quiet on their plans for VC on Wii U, and the removal of the first party DKC trilogy is definately suspicious that perhaps updated versions are being planned for Wii U.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

23. Posted:

So what if they sell the updated games. Don't buy them again if you don't want them. :P

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

24. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

So what if they sell the updated games. Don't buy them again if you don't want them. :P

I agree completely. I was just a little curious why my comment about the possibility of them selling updated versions resulted in someone being sickened by me lol.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

25. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Discostew wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Wii mode is a very bad and unneccesary idea. Just have VC, WiiWare, and Wii games playable on the Wii U interface, and all downloadable games available in one place, the Wii U eShop.

The whole point of Wii mode is for compatibility. The WiiU hardware is different from the Wii hardware, and therefore has to have an environment set to run in. The Wii mode to the WiiU is like XP Mode for Windows 7. You try running your average Windows XP program in windows 7, and see how well it works, if at all.

brooks83 wrote:

But then again I guess they couldn't sell you the same games again (in HD!) if it were like that.

People like you sicken me.

How do I sicken you? As someone who has probably spent close to $500 on VC/WiiWare, the thought of having to re-buy all those games to get save states or whatever other new features does not sound very appealing. Seriously, elaborate on your comment. Why do I sicken you? Because I dare assume that Nintendo might try and sell us the games again? Do you truly believe they won't? You do realize that Nintendo is a company that is in existence to make money, right?

And before you say it, yes I realize that Nintendo doesn't even have to let us transfer over VC/Wiiware games over, so I do give them props for that. But they have been awfully quiet on their plans for VC on Wii U, and the removal of the first party DKC trilogy is definately suspicious that perhaps updated versions are being planned for Wii U.

The Wii VC did that to all the people that bought those games back in the NES, SNES days. Why would they not do that to the people who bought the games on the Wii VC?

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

26. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Discostew wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Wii mode is a very bad and unneccesary idea. Just have VC, WiiWare, and Wii games playable on the Wii U interface, and all downloadable games available in one place, the Wii U eShop.

The whole point of Wii mode is for compatibility. The WiiU hardware is different from the Wii hardware, and therefore has to have an environment set to run in. The Wii mode to the WiiU is like XP Mode for Windows 7. You try running your average Windows XP program in windows 7, and see how well it works, if at all.

brooks83 wrote:

But then again I guess they couldn't sell you the same games again (in HD!) if it were like that.

People like you sicken me.

How do I sicken you? As someone who has probably spent close to $500 on VC/WiiWare, the thought of having to re-buy all those games to get save states or whatever other new features does not sound very appealing. Seriously, elaborate on your comment. Why do I sicken you? Because I dare assume that Nintendo might try and sell us the games again? Do you truly believe they won't? You do realize that Nintendo is a company that is in existence to make money, right?

And before you say it, yes I realize that Nintendo doesn't even have to let us transfer over VC/Wiiware games over, so I do give them props for that. But they have been awfully quiet on their plans for VC on Wii U, and the removal of the first party DKC trilogy is definately suspicious that perhaps updated versions are being planned for Wii U.

The Wii VC did that to all the people that bought those games back in the NES, SNES days. Why would they not do that to the people who bought the games on the Wii VC?

That was my whole point. And after making that point, someone said they were sickened by me lol. I guess I touched a nerve...

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

27. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Discostew wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Wii mode is a very bad and unneccesary idea. Just have VC, WiiWare, and Wii games playable on the Wii U interface, and all downloadable games available in one place, the Wii U eShop.

The whole point of Wii mode is for compatibility. The WiiU hardware is different from the Wii hardware, and therefore has to have an environment set to run in. The Wii mode to the WiiU is like XP Mode for Windows 7. You try running your average Windows XP program in windows 7, and see how well it works, if at all.

brooks83 wrote:

But then again I guess they couldn't sell you the same games again (in HD!) if it were like that.

People like you sicken me.

How do I sicken you? As someone who has probably spent close to $500 on VC/WiiWare, the thought of having to re-buy all those games to get save states or whatever other new features does not sound very appealing. Seriously, elaborate on your comment. Why do I sicken you? Because I dare assume that Nintendo might try and sell us the games again? Do you truly believe they won't? You do realize that Nintendo is a company that is in existence to make money, right?

And before you say it, yes I realize that Nintendo doesn't even have to let us transfer over VC/Wiiware games over, so I do give them props for that. But they have been awfully quiet on their plans for VC on Wii U, and the removal of the first party DKC trilogy is definately suspicious that perhaps updated versions are being planned for Wii U.

The Wii VC did that to all the people that bought those games back in the NES, SNES days. Why would they not do that to the people who bought the games on the Wii VC?

That was my whole point. And after making that point, someone said they were sickened by me lol. I guess I touched a nerve...

Either that or they didnt understand what you were getting at and felt like they just had to post something.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

28. Posted:

I don't know, I guess my original comment was a little snide/sarcastic so maybe it looked like I was just attacking Nintendo. I have been quite critical of Nintendo's handling of Wii U's details. As a big Nintendo fan since the NES, the fact that they haven't sold me on the Wii U yet is a little troubling to me. In any case, I apologize if I made anyone mad.

As for "Wii Mode", is the Wii U interface channel based like the Wii was? If so, I think it would make more since just to have the Wii U mode, and if you want to play a Wii game you play it through a Wii U channel that launches the Wii Mode, just like how you play Gamecube games on the Wii. Having a seperate "Wii Mode" just seems strange and confusing. Didn't all the DSiWare games merge onto the 3DS eShop? They don't have a seperate DSiWare shop channel on the 3DS do they?

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

fortius54

29. Posted:

Just think, in two days we will all be able to argue about this face-to-face via Wii Chat.

fortius54

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

30. Posted:

@brooks83

Sorry about the "you sicken me" comment. I've read comments of a similar nature in the past that demonized game companies because they think they want to take advantage of their consumers by following such practices, and I kinda burst upon seeing such a remark again. I understand that Nintendo is out to make money, but there isn't enough information to say whether Nintendo would do such a thing in this case. It is understood why the GC-to-Wii ports were resold, because the incorporation of motion controls and other features simply couldn't be handled by updates. I find that the VC collection was more of a convenient way to play past games on a single modern machine, even for those that still have working consoles of the past, and was a way for people who have never played them to have that opportunity (outside of piracy of course). And the cost of each individual VC games is far lower than what they costed in physical form. With the WiiU, however, I have the feeling that they won't simply resell those games (and WiiWare) because there really isn't much extra to offer. It could very well be that they might plan to incorporate the Wii Shop into the WiiU eShop like they did with DSiWare into the 3DS's eShop, but haven't gotten to that point yet. As it is already, the WiiU doesn't even ship with Wii mode pre-installed, but is part of the day 1 update, which tells me they weren't quite ready for it.

And just an example, some of my 3DS VC games got updates that added extra features to them at no cost. They may not have been DSiWare titles previously, but they weren't just improvements.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

31. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Well maybe for playing actual Wii games I could see changing to Wii mode, but I think they could easily convert VC and WiiWare games to be playable from the Wii U interface. Who knows, maybe they will in a future update. I just think it is crazy to have to go into Wii mode from the Wii U to download VC/WiiWare games that will only be playable in the Wii mode. This pretty much confirms that there will be a seperate Wii U VC with possible updated games.

Easily convert over a 1,000 games? I think you're way underestimating how much work it would actually take. Not to mention that not only would the game have to be updated, but there would likely be patches to be made to make use of the Wii U's features, like the gamepad. Which may have to be programmed specifically for each game. Just because there's not a whole lot of coding required doesn't mean it's a simple task.

Discostew wrote:

And just an example, some of my 3DS VC games got updates that added extra features to them at no cost. They may not have been DSiWare titles previously, but they weren't just improvements.

This is what I imagine will happen with the VC / WiiWare games. Not all of them, though. Just the ones where the company actually take the time to do it. Which I can see Nintendo doing it, but who else is going to put some work into something that they won't get any money out of? Unless it boosts sells, they're not making a penny off the people that purchased the game years ago. Nintendo knows their games will continue to sell, but not all third parties have that same security.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

32. Posted:

I just hope I can transfer safely in the first place

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ZildjianKX

33. Posted:

If you can buy a PSOne game on your PS3 and play it on your PSP and Vita, there is no reason that Nintendo shouldn't be able to do the same thing.

Wii VC game are just game ROMs wrapped in an emulator. Now Nintendo is having us boot into an emulated Wii mode to play an emulated game?? Nintendo should just have a standard NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/Turbo Graphics 16 emulator built into the Wii U and the VC game downloads really should just be the raw ROMs.

If Nintendo ends up re-releaseing VC games for the Wii U and not allowing Wii VC games to work natively on the WIi U, I think it's time for me to stop supporting them.

ZildjianKX

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

34. Posted:

ZildjianKX wrote:

If you can buy a PSOne game on your PS3 and play it on your PSP and Vita, there is no reason that Nintendo shouldn't be able to do the same thing.

Wii VC game are just game ROMs wrapped in an emulator. Now Nintendo is having us boot into an emulated Wii mode to play an emulated game?? Nintendo should just have a standard NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/Turbo Graphics 16 emulator built into the Wii U and the VC game downloads really should just be the raw ROMs.

If Nintendo ends up re-releaseing VC games for the Wii U and not allowing Wii VC games to work natively on the WIi U, I think it's time for me to stop supporting them.

So you're not gonna support them because of some old games? Perhaps you should consider stopping support now since you don't seem to care about the rest of the Wii U system :P

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

35. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

I don't know, I guess my original comment was a little snide/sarcastic so maybe it looked like I was just attacking Nintendo. I have been quite critical of Nintendo's handling of Wii U's details. As a big Nintendo fan since the NES, the fact that they haven't sold me on the Wii U yet is a little troubling to me. In any case, I apologize if I made anyone mad.

As for "Wii Mode", is the Wii U interface channel based like the Wii was? If so, I think it would make more since just to have the Wii U mode, and if you want to play a Wii game you play it through a Wii U channel that launches the Wii Mode, just like how you play Gamecube games on the Wii. Having a seperate "Wii Mode" just seems strange and confusing. Didn't all the DSiWare games merge onto the 3DS eShop? They don't have a seperate DSiWare shop channel on the 3DS do they?

No, but the DSi titles still had to be run in a DS mode on the 3DS. I think if the DSi had a VC, we'd see the same thing with it. The Wii VC games were designed to be run on a Wii, so I think that the Wii mode was a quicker and easier solution to Wii U playing them.

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OorWullie

36. Posted:

@Discostew @brooks83 That little exchange cracked me up.People like you 2 sicken me :-D

Nintendo Network ID: Ar_Tee_Es

AuthorMessage
Avatar

teus

37. Posted:

RPGShaymin wrote:

@LZBirdboi
I live in NA, and when I add money to the e-shop account, the card gets taxed.
When I go to buy software, I have to pay the same state tax from the account money.

. Some places it is against the law to charge tax on gift cards

NintendoID: Lazymutant