Wii U Forum

Topic: What's up with Nintendo and 3rd parties?

Showing 21 to 40 of 86

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RedRocBoy

21. Posted:

It think just plain and simple these developers are lazy and full of excuses. If you want an install basevto grow produce exclusive content for it. No some BS port, build something from the ground up for the Wii U. The console is more then capable of stand toe to toe with Sony and Microsoft. Don't give a crappy, bare bones port of year old games and say your games won't sell. Bullcrap gives us real games and we'll buy them.

RedRocBoy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PopetheRevXXVII

22. Posted:

Torchwood wrote:

@PopetheRevXXVII
If you'd like to rename this thread or make a new one and discuss your problems with Nintendo, I'd be happy to hear them! Even as a Nintendo exclusive gamer, I can't pretend that Nintendo's hardware and practices are perfect. I'd very much like to discuss your opinions with you.

I'll post it in retro since this goes back as far as the NES Era.

PopetheRevXXVII

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Torchwood

23. Posted:

All right, I look forward to seeing what you have to say. I'd personally post in General Discussion, but do whatever suits you best.

3DS Friend Code- 4725-7991-3379

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DePapier

24. Posted:

PopetheRevXXVII wrote:

Torchwood wrote:

@PopetheRevXXVII
If you'd like to rename this thread or make a new one and discuss your problems with Nintendo, I'd be happy to hear them! Even as a Nintendo exclusive gamer, I can't pretend that Nintendo's hardware and practices are perfect. I'd very much like to discuss your opinions with you.

I'll post it in retro since this goes back as far as the NES Era.

Hum... You might have as deep issues with Nintendo as I have with Sony and the Playstation brand...

Edited on by DePapier

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Luther
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Therlu

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/15/f-zero-wii-u-lets-dream-it/
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/07/01/opinion-a-suggestion-for-a-wii-u-pricing-restructure/

3DS Friend Code: 4468-2063-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: Luther

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PloXyZeRO

25. Posted:

PopetheRevXXVII wrote:

But I was wondering and wanted to hear it from the Hardcore Nintendo fans.

The hardcore Nintendo fans don't care, because they get Nintendo consoles for first party games ;)

For me, I usually get third party games on PC or PS3, and I get first party games on Nintendo consoles. The main reason was third party games were usually inferior on the Wii, plus PS3/PC have better online support (if they were multiplatform).

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter: ContraParadox

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

26. Posted:

Yeah I don't care, only 3rd party game I care about that's on the Wii U right now is Monster Hunter. Everything else is all Nintendo...ish, wait is Wonderful 101 considered 1st party? I mean...its not being developed by them, but they are publishing it.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

27. Posted:

Historically speaking, 3rd party games usually sell the least on Nintendo systems, unless if they're obviously suited towards such platforms (Just Dance) or have some Nintendo goodies (Soul Calibur 2). The Wii U in particular does not look like a good investment for 3rd parties, especially with the software sales they're getting. COD was pretty much the best non-exclusive game on the Wii U (both sales-wise and performance-wise from what I've seen) and it sold way under Activision's expectations. That doesn't exactly bode well.

3rd parties don't have an obligation to get Wii U sales numbers up. The only obligation they have is to make money.

Also, Nintendo doesn't really pay 3rd parties for support, like Microsoft and Sony do. So there's that as well. Many developers on the AAA scene don't seem very interested either.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Haywired

28. Posted:

Well in terms of Nintendo and third-parties historically (though perhaps this is going slightly off-topic), I would say 3 out of their 6 home consoles have had great third-party support: NES, SNES and (not quite as great but actually pretty decent despite what some people might think) GameCube. The N64 had terrible third-party support, but (as has been well documented) this was mostly due to Nintendo making big mistakes at the time (cartridges, etc). All their handhelds (GB, GBC, GBA, DS) have obviously had superb third-party support. 3DS does have less support than the DS, but I guess that's because a lot of western publishers are diverting their attention to smartphones.

The lack of third-party support for the Wii and seemingly now the Wii U, I would say is down to 3 main reasons:
1) Lack of power compared to rivals (essentially a generation behind each time).
2) Casual audience (or different kind of audience at least). More of an issue for the Wii than the Wii U, but I imagine the attitude has probably carried over. ie. third-party games like COD, FIFA, Madden, etc. selling far less on Wii than on PS3 and 360.
3) Nintendo's new focus on wacky, unusual controllers is perhaps more of a turn-off than an enticement to third-parties as it maybe forces them down a particular path and maybe they would just rather not bother. I would imagine these days putting a game on a Sony/MS console is like attending a party where you can wear what you want, whereas putting a game on a Nintendo console is like attending a party where you're only allowed in if you put a zany costume on.

Edited on by Haywired

My Nintendo Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Haywired

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PopetheRevXXVII

29. Posted:

DePapier wrote:

Hum... You might have as deep issues with Nintendo as I have with Sony and the Playstation brand...

I've been accused of being a Sony Fanboy. But what were my options I was sick of the 360 getting the same 4 games over and voer (Same issue I have with Nintendo) SO..PS3 and I love my PS3. I love that it's REGION FREE. But hey I don't want to turn this in a flame War. I'm not here for that. But You gotta admit with all the strides Sony is making with the PS4...kinda hard to hate them now

PopetheRevXXVII

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

30. Posted:

3rd party pubs & devs know the Nintendo install base has been wildly unreliable when it comes to 3rd party game titles. Add that to the fact that 3rd parties are focusing in on online multiplayer at the expense of solo campaigns. And Nintendo's online infrastructure is not on par with Xbox or playstation because the Xbox & playstation have had 7+ years to iron out all the kinks.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

31. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

3rd party pubs & devs know the Nintendo install base has been wildly unreliable when it comes to 3rd party game titles. Add that to the fact that 3rd parties are focusing in on online multiplayer at the expense of solo campaigns. And Nintendo's online infrastructure is not on par with Xbox or playstation because the Xbox & playstation have had 7+ years to iron out all the kinks.

While that is true the Nintendo Network is easier to work with than Xbox or Sony and it is the only Next-Gen system with a free online which means it is easier for consumers to use

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MideonNViscera

32. Posted:

I'm sure it doesn't help that people like me will eventually buy a Wii U, but then only play Nintendo games on it.

Mideon - 4768-7535-1219
Poison: Serviper, Venomoth, Guk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

33. Posted:

@DefHalan Nintendo network is easier to work with? Not sure how you could determine that since neither of us know NN, PSN, nor XBL's capabilities. And how exactly does having a free online network make it easier for the consumer to use. I mean PSN has been free for 7years and for the first couple, it wasnt all that easy. Until they ironed out the kinks over the next several years, which again is my point.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

34. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

Not sure how you could determine that since neither of us know NN, PSN, nor XBL's capabilities

Why did you claim PSN and Xbox Live were better, then?
Besides, PSN was hacked and never had as many players as Xbox Live. They ironed out most of the kinks on PSN, but Xbox Live was doing fairly well in 6th gen before anyone was using wi-fi as much as they do now.

Nintendo can make things better for Wii U. They still have time before Xbox One and PS4 come out.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

banacheck

35. Posted:

Nintendo used to be as bad as Microsoft with there policies at one time, egotistic Nintendo also had a magazine that was published in-house, called Nintendo Power. And if Nintendo didn't like something it wouldn't be published in there magazine, so these games where unlikely to sell. Thay also had lock-out chips in there consoles, so if a game wasn't licensed by Nintendo, it wouldn't play on there console. I bet your thinking thats fair, the only problem for 3rd-partys Nintendo would only license around 5 games a year. So you can imagine when companies like Sega came alone, 3rd-partys loved them. Until that is Sega made some costly mistakes, and the final nail was Sega's CD 32X which was a add-on for the Mega Drive. But when Nintendo upset someone thay shouldn't of it proved to be very costly, very costly indeed.

banacheck

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

36. Posted:

@Scar392 why is XBL & PSN online infrastructure better?  Because they've had more experience.  They've been through the ups & downs of the aggressive online infrastructure roller coster, if you will.  PSN did get hacked & had to learn from it.  The idea that hackers won't try to do the same, or online cheaters for that matter, is laughable.  See the more experience, the smoother your online will be.  Nintendo can't buy online infrastructure experience, they'll have to go through the ups & downs. Why do you think they won't have to go through the ups & downs?

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

37. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

@Scar392 why is XBL & PSN online infrastructure better?  Because they've had more experience.  They've been through the ups & downs of the aggressive online infrastructure roller coster, if you will.  PSN did get hacked & had to learn from it.  The idea that hackers won't try to do the same, or online cheaters for that matter, is laughable.  See the more experience, the smoother your online will be.  Nintendo can't buy online infrastructure experience, they'll have to go through the ups & downs. Why do you think they won't have to go through the ups & downs?

I'm not saying Nintendo will or won't have issues with online. It's not like they haven't been observing, though.

Just because you've been doing something for a longer ammount does not automatically mean you're better at those things. Xbox Live is still arguably better than PSN, probably because people paid for it for years and it had more support. We're at a point where Nintendo can adapt alot of what the other companies have done based on their experience.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

38. Posted:

@Scar392  Doing something longer doesnt equal better, but it does equal more experienced.  I'm not sure how Nintendo observing PSN or XBL would help much.  Observing from the outside will probably limit the attempts you'd have to make before getting the right solution to a problem.  But you still have to be presented with the problems (hackers, cheaters, etc.) before you can solve them.  That is unless you believe Xbox or Sony will freely tell nintendo exactly what they did to combat a particular problem, but I don't believe they will.  As far as XBL being further along than PSN, I agree, but why is that?  Think it had anything to do with Xbox's parent company having worked on pc & online pc software since the web's inception?  I do.  I don't have the facts in front of me but I'm willing to bet Microsoft has been dealing with the world wide web longer than Sony.  And afforded them more experience and thus a better, more fluid, online experience.  Which again, is my point.  Nintendo can't skip stops on the road to experience.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PurpleKitten

39. Posted:

@PopetheRevXXVII
I'm wondering something... If your not a Nintendo fan then why are you here?? I do NOT mean this in a mean or hurtful way!

#GamerGirl
Friend Code: 4570-6921-3947
If you add me first, Name my mii Kitten. If you dont mind~ :3

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

40. Posted:

I'm not saying nintendo won't catch up, cause they will. I just don't think they've caught up, or catch up for a bit of time. And that's why I think 3rd parties are apprehensive. For now, but they'll catch up, no doubt

uptownsoul

Sorry, this topic has been locked.