Forums

Topic: What would you do if [insert company here] dropped out of manufacturing gaming systems and became a third party developer? A totally mature discussion.

Posts 201 to 211 of 211

shingi_70

You do realize that Microsoft just put 5 million down for grabbing exculuwive games for next gen. As well W's they did a 8.5 million buyoit of skype last year, a as well as there being a rumored billion dollar buyout of yammer and the looming inevitable buyout of nokia.

How do you think thexbox Dickson survived the giant losses it took on.

Microsoft has a lot of bussiness that's make alot of money. If its said nintendo could take nintendo about 3 generations worth or flops to die imagine how much it would take the other guys.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

hYdeks

If nintendo left the gaming industry, I wouldn't probably play video games anymore

@Sony_70 your right, unfortunately those "gaming" companies like Microsoft and Sony have enough money to gamble on, at least WAY more than Nintendo, Nintendo is big for a video game company, but compared to the likes of Sony and Microsoft, there very tiny

hYdeks

ReleaseTheBears

If Microsoft bowed out, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

If Sony bowed out, I would be excited because all of those IPs would have to go somewhere. There has been some discussion that Sony's been future-proofing themselves by picking up strong IPs for if and when they drop out of the console business, especially considering how badly their business is on fire right now. I would love to be able to play a lot of Sony-centric games on a Nintendo console. I would be slightly worried too, since less competition isn't a good thing.

If Nintendo bowed out, I'd be pretty crushed. It's one of those things where Nintendo consoles have been with me since I was a little kid. I know they're a corporation, consoles are just dumb boxes and that they're trying to take as much of my money as possible, but Nintendo consoles and playing their IPs on them are lifelong memories and familiarity.

Edited on by ReleaseTheBears

ReleaseTheBears

kyuubikid213

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

Guys, lay off Knux. He's got the right idea.

If Nintendo wants to stick to the gaming business, that's fine, but Nintendo would also be well aware that it is running a high risk business model. Don't attack Knux for pointing that out.

I wasn't. I simply asked a "What If?" question similar to the one that this entire thread is based around and he basically replied with "Not possible, move on." The other companies being more financially stable doesn't have anything to do with the question I asked. The other companies not being solely based around videogames ISN'T what I asked. I asked WHAT IF they dropped out.

WHAT IF.

A "What If?" question doesn't have to be in the realm of possiblity. "I don't know" IS an acceptable answer if you don't see the certain situation ever happening, but not "This isn't possible, so I won't worry about it." In a "What If" scenario, you PRETEND the scenario COULD happen and then explain WHAT you WOULD do IF it WAS REAL.

So once again @Knux, WHAT IF Microsoft or Sony stopped making GAMING SYSTEMS and became a third party developer?

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

e-love

How could Microsoft and Sony become third party? They don't even make their own games, they just publish them all. All the developers owned by them would have their games on other systems yeah, but they've already been going back and forth between game systems. But in your context, I definitely think for Sony that would be more of a big deal. If Microsoft went "third party" we just would have Halo on a non-Microsoft game system, woo.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

shingi_70

Would suck if any if the big three fell.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Bankai

Emaan wrote:

How could Microsoft and Sony become third party? They don't even make their own games, they just publish them all. All the developers owned by them would have their games on other systems yeah, but they've already been going back and forth between game systems. But in your context, I definitely think for Sony that would be more of a big deal. If Microsoft went "third party" we just would have Halo on a non-Microsoft game system, woo.

[/div]

... what?

Once a publisher acquires a developer, the publisher owns the developer. The developer is a part of the publisher's business.

Rare is no longer Rare. It is Rare, a subsidiary of Microsoft. The games that Rare makes are games that Microsoft has made. Same goes for Lionhead, same went for Ensemble. Same goes for Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, and the range of developers that Sony owns that has Sony in the name (Sony Online, SCE Japan, SCE London).

By your logic games by Intelligent Systems, Retro, HAL and Monolith Software don't belong to Nintendo. Nintendo just publishes them, amirite?

In a hypothetical, were Microsoft to go third party, what happens to Rare and the IPs it has created since being a part of Microsoft would be the decision of Microsoft management.

Edited on by Bankai

komicturtle

Well, Microsoft did license a few of their games on DS (Age of Empires, Mech Assault and even Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise). Just interesting how they allowed their properties on DS.. Then again, during the time, MS didn't have anything in the portable space to compete with DS. It's also interesting how they refused to license their games on PSP, blatantly stating that.

Oh, and those games were published by Majesco except VP which was by THQ. Doubt they'll bring games to 3DS now that they have Windows Phones going.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

SkywardLink98

I'd like to see this happen.

I could buy a PS4/5/6/whatever and still be able to play Nintendo games. A sony console was the first console I remember owning , so the "Playstation" franchise has a special place in my heart, but I can generally only afford 1 home console per generation and Nintendo usually gets it.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

ReleaseTheBears

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

Well, Microsoft did license a few of their games on DS (Age of Empires, Mech Assault and even Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise). Just interesting how they allowed their properties on DS.. Then again, during the time, MS didn't have anything in the portable space to compete with DS. It's also interesting how they refused to license their games on PSP, blatantly stating that.

Oh, and those games were published by Majesco except VP which was by THQ. Doubt they'll bring games to 3DS now that they have Windows Phones going.

They still wouldn't be competitors in the same fields, dedicated portable gaming and phone gaming are two different consumer marketplaces. It'd smart for Microsoft to allow their IPs to be released on Sony and Nintendo portables.

ReleaseTheBears

AlexSays

I wouldn't care if any of them dropped out. I don't have any 'loyalty' to any of those companies.

I would simply stick with the highest quality product available at the time, like I do any other time.

AlexSays

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.