Forums

Topic: What would you do if [insert company here] dropped out of manufacturing gaming systems and became a third party developer? A totally mature discussion.

Posts 141 to 160 of 211

kyuubikid213

Knux wrote:

Greetings ladies and gentlemen. (If this topic has been done before, then I couldn't find it.)

Today, I will ask a question that (most of) us would rather not ask ourselves. What would you do if Nintendo didn't succeed with the Wii U and 3DS, which as a result, causes them to drop out of manufacturing gaming systems and become a third party developer like Sega did?

I've answered your question, now you answer mine. What would you do if Microsoft/Sony didn't succeed with 720/PS4&Vita which leads to their dropping out of console manufacture?

Although each company (Nintendo included) is strong enough to last us until our children's children are talking about this.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

CanisWolfred

Valve going out would be a problem (and I can see their methods eventually causing problems, should they keep things the way they are), and Sony would be sorely missed if they went out, if only for the R&C and Wipeout series (and maybe Sly if Sly 4 isn't the last we see of him). Otherwise, I can't say I care one way or another if a company goes out. Someone will come and take their place eventually, and who knows, they might be better than any of the old guys.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Reala

Hi I'm Reala and I'm a Sega fan you may remember that company from such things as Nights into Dreams, Sonic and the 32X; you may also remember they exited the console market and the true devastation that caused with some of its effects such as Sonic 06 still being felt today; well I'm about to publish a book on just how to survive your fav console maker ceasing hardware and becoming a 3rd party developer, this is not just intended as a book but a tool to cope and overcome such a massive life changing world altering event, and get your life back on track while I truly hope such an event doesn't befall your own personal fav console maker; you can never take anything for granted and hope this book will provide some form of peace of mind in the worst case scenario do not delay pre order by the end August and receive a free tin foil hat!!!

Reala

Xkhaoz

TysonQ7 wrote:

SuperSherbet wrote:

If Nintendo quit making consoles, I' think they'd start doing a PC service like what Valve is currently doing with Steam.

[/div]

Or better yet, FUSE with VALVE.

Fu-sion, HA!.

But seriously, I'm mainly a PC gamer anyways, so I would be affected that much.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

Koos

Market Cap:
Sega - 5 billion (no console manufacturing)
Sony - 13 billion (will need to weed out some unprofitable sectors)
Nintendo - 15 billion (with console manufacturing. Will not let go of 50% of its structure easily. See Sega's market cap).
Microsoft - 240 billion (could live without consoles someday, if feels other sectors are more important)

Edited on by Koos

Koos

Bankai

skywake wrote:

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

One World One Console. We're headed towards better days...

[/div]

One Console, One company.
No competition, little incentive.
Bad products, bad games.
Bad industry, no industry.
Better days? I think not.

[/div]

That's all a myth perpetuated by people who think a capitalist open market is a good thing. The reality is that it isn't. History has proven that 1) even when there's a monopoly there's still competition and 2) a monopoly is not an incentive for the vendor to produce poor quality goods. When poor goods are produced under a monopoly it is almost always because of other reasons. And amusingly enough, capitalism is a direct cause for low-quality goods. When corporations need to compete on price, corners are cut, and almost invariably the consumer is the one that misses out.

[/div]

Tin foil hats are a-go. There are good reasons for monopolies in some specific scenarios and the argument about complete deregulation reducing the quality of goods is reasonable. The idea that capitalism and an open market as a general idea is not a good thing is, however, not an idea I'm going to let someone post without me mocking them. So this is me, a Green voting, gov' owned infrastructure monopoly supporting, Carbon price "lefty" person who can listen to Stereolab without his head exploding mocking this general point being made around this post here.

Naw. I can jump fence and be right wing and all that if the debate necessitates it. What I dislike is the immediate assumption that because we're told something, it must therefore be right. We're taught that free markets, capitalism, democracy and freedom of speech (amongst other things) are civilisation aspirations, but they're incredibly flawed, if not broken in reality.

I prefer to keep my arguments academic - I'm pretty neutral on most things. I just don't like when people don't question these things - anyone that sits squarely on the right or left wings are equally strange to me. I would have thought by now that was pretty obvious.

CanisWolfred

Reala wrote:

Hi I'm Reala and I'm a Sega fan you may remember that company from such things as Nights into Dreams, Sonic and the 32X; you may also remember they exited the console market and the true devastation that caused with some of its effects such as Sonic 06 still being felt today; well I'm about to publish a book on just how to survive your fav console maker ceasing hardware and becoming a 3rd party developer, this is not just intended as a book but a tool to cope and overcome such a massive life changing world altering event, and get your life back on track while I truly hope such an event doesn't befall your own personal fav console maker; you can never take anything for granted and hope this book will provide some form of peace of mind in the worst case scenario do not delay pre order by the end August and receive a free tin foil hat!!!

Reala wins the thread.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

I like video games so I would probably just get another system or go with a PC.

I mean I would be sad to see any company go but at the end of the day it means the company in question either had serious management issues or failed to innovate which in both cases is unfortunate for the people who work there.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Bankai

Koos wrote:

Market Cap:
Sega - 5 billion (no console manufacturing)
Sony - 13 billion (will need to weed out some unprofitable sectors)
Nintendo - 15 billion (with console manufacturing. Will not let go of 50% of its structure easily. See Sega's market cap).
Microsoft - 240 billion (could live without consoles someday, if feels other sectors are more important)

Yeah, Sony's market cap should be higher than that for its various problems...

Sony's becoming prime acquisition material actually.

shingi_70

Yep the prevailing things I hear on tech websites are google or samsung buying Sony.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Bankai

Sony_70 wrote:

Yep the prevailing things I hear on tech websites are google or samsung buying Sony.

I doubt Google. Google just picked up Motorola.

Samsung? Perhaps.

My vote in all cases of big acquisitions in tech is Apple. With Jobs gone it's just a matter of time for Cook to make a whopping big acquisition. Apple will also realise that it's growing to the point where M & A is the only way to grow bigger.

I'd hedge bets that it would be either Sony, Nintendo or Panasonic. Those three are big and well known for quality, which fits with Apple's image, and have product ranges that Apple does not.

theblackdragon

at this point in time I could maybe see Apple taking Panasonic, but not either of the other two. With Panasonic they wouldn't have to worry about existing consoles, online infrastructure, or IPs and stuff, they could pretty much start their own gaming division from scratch if they wanted to eventually. they wouldn't have to worry about pissing off existing users of Sony or Nintendo products... and then if/when the time is right, they could fully concentrate on luring them away instead.

even if they chose not to go the gaming route, Panasonic would probably be the better buy just to strengthen their small electronics hold versus Sony overall.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

turtlelink

Reala wrote:

Pre-ordered!

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

shingi_70

Could see apple getting Sony. Sony is a company that makes quality hardware but has a problem with having too many product lines. With apple wanting to make apple TV a success and Tim Cook recently talked about how gaming wasnt entirely out of the question at all things D.

WAT!

GameLord08

Nintendo is mostly renowned world-wide for their first-party titles, so if they did drop out of the console business, I would be stung rather deeply for the sake of being a doting Nintendo fan, but it wouldn't be too much of a loss. I wouldn't expect them to stop making handhelds though, but on the slight off-chance that they did, I guess doing a SEGA would be the best move; they have the game dev mojo. So long as they continue developing games, hopefully with the PC as their main platform, they'd be well off. I personally believe that neither Sony or Microsoft, would do them justice. But for mainstream gaming, I would fall back on Sony consoles.

If Sony dropped out of the console business, then they're practically dead in the water on the gaming front. They generate next to nothing when it comes to first-party titles of their own, so they have almost nothing to fall back on. When it all comes down to it, Sony's strongest point in gaming is their hardware. As third-party devs, Nintendo would surely conquer them on that front. I can only see Sony getting bought or possibly absorbed/merged with, if this whole scenario were to happen.

As for Microsoft, well, seeing as hardware is pretty much all they have, and most of the Xbox's top games aren't console exclusives, save for Halo, then them dropping out of the console business really wouldn't affect me, or anyone. If Microsoft quit the gaming business today, I wouldn't flinch a millimetre.

Edited on by GameLord08

GameLord08

Knux

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I've answered your question, now you answer mine. What would you do if Microsoft/Sony didn't succeed with 720/PS4&Vita which leads to their dropping out of console manufacture?

Although each company (Nintendo included) is strong enough to last us until our children's children are talking about this.

Sony and Microsoft are way better off financially than Nintendo is. You know why? Because they also concentrate on other departments besides video games. They are also WAY bigger companies than Nintendo. They would never drop out of the console or handheld race no matter what unless the ENTIRE company went bankrupt, which will never happen. Sony makes TV, cameras, and a whole bunch of electronics. Microsoft makes Windows and Internet Explorer. Nintendo is a company that concentrates only on video games though, so it's possible that they can drop out of the console/handheld market if they have massive financial problems.

Knux

CanisWolfred

GameLord08 wrote:

If Microsoft quit the gaming business today, I wouldn't flinch a millimetre.

I wouldn't, either. They're the only western console maker left right now, but there are plenty lined up to take their place if they fall.

It would be pretty bad if Sony went right now, though. They're the only one keeping Microsoft and Nintendo in check right now.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Sony isn't in any kind of finical stability at all.

WAT!

SonyFACE

Knux wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

Sony and Microsoft are way better off financially than Nintendo is. You know why? Because they also concentrate on other departments besides video games. They are also WAY bigger companies than Nintendo. They would never drop out of the console or handheld race no matter what unless the ENTIRE company went bankrupt, which will never happen. Sony makes TV, cameras, and a whole bunch of electronics. Microsoft makes Windows and Internet Explorer. Nintendo is a company that concentrates only on video games though, so it's possible that they can drop out of the console/handheld market if they have massive financial problems.

[/div]

Sony is actually losing quite a bit of money right now: they lost about $6.36 billion US Dollars in fiscal 2012, and the PS3 was the least selling console of the last generation. The Vita is also selling horribly. On the flip side, Microsoft has a huge portion of the computer software market, and XBox 360 is the current best-selling console (not overall, just in recent months). Nintendo is just coming off the monumental success of the Wii, and the 3DS is going strong. So at this point, Sony is actually the most likely to drop out, although I don't think they will.

Edited on by SonyFACE

Charter Member of SonyLife.
Nintendo and Sony for the win, Microsoft ehh.
Psalm 51.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5840-8779 | Nintendo Network ID: SonyFACE

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.