Wii U Forum

Topic: What would you do if [insert company here] dropped out of manufacturing gaming systems and became a third party developer? A totally mature discussion.

Showing 101 to 120 of 217

AuthorMessage

Koos

101. Posted:

Jamouse wrote:

Have you already forgotten what Sony is into nowadays

lol

Koos

AuthorMessage

MAB

102. Posted:

@Jamouse Are you telling me there is something more sinister going on with Sony #0 I don't really want to know mate. LOL

Edited on by theblackdragon

MAB

AuthorMessage

Sean_Aaron

103. Posted:

I guess if Nintendo made games for OSX/iOS I would get them. I am not interested in the console experience being offered by Sony and Microsoft so I wouldn't be getting another console, that's for sure.

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

104. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

One World One Console. We're headed towards better days...

One Console, One company.
No competition, little incentive.
Bad products, bad games.
Bad industry, no industry.
Better days? I think not.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Whopper744

105. Posted:

I think my gaming habbit would die off just a little.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744
Fellow WV residents and MK8 fans...join the WV Cup today! 3052 9702 2828

Join Koopalings Thursdays! 5842-3656-8790

(used to be Joshers744...changed it to my Nintendo ID)

-John 3:16

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

AuthorMessage

shake_zula

106. Posted:

skywake wrote:

@shake_zula
The DS had the same controls as the GBA as well as the touch screen so as a result pretty much every "core" game had traditional controls. The only real exception were the two Zelda games which you can complain about if you want (I wouldn't but whatever). As I said, most of the games on the DS were traditionally controlled games with the simple addition of a map and/or inventory on the bottom screen. If people want to rage about those additions and say "ZOMG the second screen in Mario Kart DS totally breaks the game" then I'm sorry, but they are braindead morons. "Core" games on the DS worked, there was nothing gamebreaking about them and if you wanted to (no idea why you would) you could just ignore touch controls entirely pretty much all of the time.

The Wii was a different beast and is not like the Wii U at all. The control scheme that all Wii games had to support (being the in-the-box option) had less buttons than the traditional control scheme and so whatever the devs wanted to do they had to support a simplified and non-traditional option. The Wii U is a lot more like the DS and will allow developers to completely ignore the difference between the Wii U and 360/PS3 if they want. On top of that the game will have to support being played without the touch screen if they want to let you play without the TV.... making it highly probable that most "core" games will have a standard control option.

tl;dr: The Wii U is a HD DS for your TV, the whine is unwarranted

These are fair points, it's been a while since I played my DS but tbf I don't actually remember having to use the touch screen much. And yeah, the Wii U's gamepad includes all the functionality of a standard controller. It'll be better than the Wii, but just look at the ZombiU trailer, all that looking through the controller to scan the screen? Do you think that will be optional? That's the kind of stuff I could do without, and the kind of stuff I feel like I'm going to have to put up with quite a lot on the Wii U.

shake_zula

Nintendo Network ID: shake_zula

AuthorMessage

Koos

107. Posted:

Zombi U - I think it will be fine. You know how you scan in RE: Revelations all the time to find items - that can get a bit tedious, but it will be much easier with the Game Pad, and hey, it will be less tedious than having to collect stupid stuff as achievements or whatever. Tedious and Fun there's a thin line there, and it's up to a good developer to do it right, test it... I think I heard nothing but praises for Zombi U.

Edited on by Koos

Koos

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

108. Posted:

As much as I dont want too see Nintendo go the route that Sega did I have to say with the Wii U it looks like they just might. The one thing Nintendo seems to have that Sega didnt is success in the handheld market. I am not a Nintendo fanboy but I have to say Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market. Even if their console systems were bombs compared to the other systems of that generations their handhelds always did better. Look at the Gamecube and GBA or the Wii and the DS. And it is in that reason that if the Wii U does tank it would have to be tank hard where the handheld portion of Nintendo couldnt save them.

With that said IF they were to exit console gaming all together (including the handheld market) I probably wont do nothing or effect me in any big way. I mean with Sony still around and MS there will always be a console system in my living room of some sort and along with a gaming PC and my phone I dont think I will run out of games. If anything I would just buy the Mario and Zelda games if they did produce them for other gaming systems on those other systems like I do with Sonic and Sega's other IPS.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

109. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Bad products, bad games.

Twas a joke.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

skywake

110. Posted:

shake_zula wrote:

These are fair points, it's been a while since I played my DS but tbf I don't actually remember having to use the touch screen much. And yeah, the Wii U's gamepad includes all the functionality of a standard controller. It'll be better than the Wii, but just look at the ZombiU trailer, all that looking through the controller to scan the screen? Do you think that will be optional? That's the kind of stuff I could do without, and the kind of stuff I feel like I'm going to have to put up with quite a lot on the Wii U.

If they want to allow you to play the game without the TV then it will have to be optional and I can imagine the "free from the TV" feature being something a lot of developers will want to use in their games. That would basically involve having to make the game work without a second screen being displayed at all.

The scope thing in ZombiU is something we've already seen in 3DS games but even then it was optional and they gave you an analogue stick option. OoT 3D had it for looking around and aiming the slingshot/bow but you could use the analogue stick if you wanted to. I don't see why you would want to because the gyro controls in that game worked really well (please put that in the Wii U's first Zelda Nintendo) but at the same time I don't see why any devs would make it required for play for "core" games when all of the buttons are there.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

shake_zula

111. Posted:

You are a reassuring man, skywake. Hopefully my fears are unfounded. :]

shake_zula

Nintendo Network ID: shake_zula

AuthorMessage

Mandoble

112. Posted:

Magnufacturing gaming system or not, Nintendo may become a third party for the other systems as well, and use it to its advantage to attract more users of its downgraded devices. Lets say Nintendo develops a multiplatform Zelda, and then two exclusive for the WiiU. Clearly many PS3/360 users will end buying the WiiU to play the other two. Of course MS and Sony might do the same, drop a bone or two to the other users and then have many of them becoming users of their systems.

Mandoble

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

113. Posted:

Nintendo works best when they have their own technology to use.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

randomlypikachu

114. Posted:

if nintendo became a third party then i'll pretty much be done with console and handheld gaming, and only be left with online gaming which would kinda suck .-.

just a nintendo gamer on a nintendo related site (who wouldve seen that one coming?)
the random user name randomly became a Pikachu.

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

115. Posted:

The maturity in this thread was thrown out the window it seems.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Bankai

116. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

Bad products, bad games.

[/div]

That's all a myth perpetuated by people who think a capitalist open market is a good thing. The reality is that it isn't. History has proven that 1) even when there's a monopoly there's still competition and 2) a monopoly is not an incentive for the vendor to produce poor quality goods. When poor goods are produced under a monopoly it is almost always because of other reasons. And amusingly enough, capitalism is a direct cause for low-quality goods. When corporations need to compete on price, corners are cut, and almost invariably the consumer is the one that misses out.

The real enemies of this industry are commoditisation and price deflation. Not that a single console would fix that, but there you go.

Anyway, on topic: It amuses me that people seem to think if Nintendo went third-party it would change its approach to software. Not likely.

I'd much rather see Nintendo acquired by Apple or Samsung or something and set to the task of producing exclusive content and a hardware add-on for tablet gaming.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

Hokori

117. Posted:

If Nintendo were 3rd party then the first parties would need a second screen to emulate DS games, and G&W DS games! Oh and stereoscopic 3D to emulate 3DS games

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

komicturtle

118. Posted:

I rather Nintendo acquire Apple.

Apple overprices their hardware anyways and makes poor decisions in how they make their products. Making a phone out of glass is the most stupidest idea I've ever seen. Would you drive a car made completely out of glass? Would you buy a computer made compltely out of glass? How about your clothes? Glass too?

No thank you ma'am.

And frankly, I don't want to see a "One World" industry because that means companies will cheat consumers out of money. Look at America as a prime example in how our government runs.

No thanks. Again.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage

Hokori

119. Posted:

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

Apple overprices their hardware anyways and makes poor decisions in how they make their products. Making a phone out of glass is the most stupidest idea I've ever seen. Would you drive a car made completely out of glass? Would you buy a computer made compltely out of glass? How about your clothes? Glass too?

No thank you ma'am.

And frankly, I don't want to see a "One World" industry because that means companies will cheat consumers out of money. Look at America as a prime example in how our government runs.

No thanks. Again.

Yes, either Sony or Apple and let the compaction be against microsoft

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

Bankai

120. Posted:

The difference here is that Apple's in the position where it could acquire Nintendo (whether Nintendo wanted it or not), and Nintendo will never be at a scale where it could even come close to acquiring Apple.

Apple overprices their hardware anyways

Yeah, according to you. Enough millions of other people are happy to pay for what Apple offers, thereby rendering your "overpriced" argument moot. A product can't be overpriced if millions and millions of people buy it, by definition. Products simply don't sell at that kind of scale if they're genuinely and objectively overpriced.

Value is the eye of the beholder etc etc.

Making a phone out of glass is the most stupidest idea I've ever seen. Would you drive a car made completely out of glass? Would you buy a computer made compltely out of glass? How about your clothes? Glass too?

I also don't by a car to make phone calls, and I don't play games on my clothes. The "OMG a phone is not a t-shirt!" argument is the... strangest... anti-Apple tirade I've ever heard. So congratulations on that.

The Government is not a business, in the same sense as private enterprise, but it is actually closer to the capitalist model. There are multiple parties (businesses) and different scales - there's local, state and federal Government (small business, SME and large enterprise).

So in (correctly) saying the American Government model doesn't work like it should, you're actually proving the case for the alternative. Thanks for that :)

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)