Forums

Topic: What is Retro Studios REALLY up to?

Posts 181 to 200 of 244

TuVictus

@UGXwolf: Pretty sure there will be. He made movies out of them and has hinted about them laying the groundwork for the next entry in the franchise. The only question is when. He still might have ideas. After all, Pikmin 3 ditched the 4 captain campaign, so that may be an idea he has for a sequel.

TuVictus

UGXwolf

@Operative: fair enough. There's just no way to predict some of these guys. It's clear there is an intended fourth, there's no indication of how far along that is, of at all and what Mitamoto may want to do with it. One thing's clear, though. Pikmin is Miyamoto's favorite IP, right now. He's gonna be very cautious.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Bolt_Strike

Octane wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: I'm glad Tropical Freeze hasn't ''caught up'' yet. People always expect games to do more than the previous entries, instead of something different. That's why I'm completely fine when a game ditches older mechanics in favour of new ones. Take Pikmin 3 for example, they could've continued what they started in Pikmin 2; the cave system and purple and white Pikmin. They didn't, and Pikmin 3 is now it's own game instead of ''Pikmin 2 + more''.

Nintendo hasn't really shown a willingness to do something completely different with their bigger franchises though. Tell me, what is different about 3D World or Tropical Freeze? I would love to see those IPs take that approach, Mario hasn't done so in almost a decade and DK never truly has.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TuVictus

@UGXwolf: I wouldn't be too surprised if a 4th one came out before the end of the Wii U's life at some point. But if he needs time to keep it interesting, then I won't mind waiting. Would like some story DLC for 3,though. :/

TuVictus

UGXwolf

@Bolt_Strike: I guess DK64 just isn't different enough for you!

Regardless, I've said this before and I stand by it. Why change something that already exists and works well when you could make something new?

Octane

Operative wrote:

Octane wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: I'm glad Tropical Freeze hasn't ''caught up'' yet. People always expect games to do more than the previous entries, instead of something different. That's why I'm completely fine when a game ditches older mechanics in favour of new ones. Take Pikmin 3 for example, they could've continued what they started in Pikmin 2; the cave system and purple and white Pikmin. They didn't, and Pikmin 3 is now it's own game instead of ''Pikmin 2 + more''.

Well yeah, because Pikmin 3 is actually just Pikmin 1+ more. It's based around a time limit (though a very generous one unlike the first game). Pikmin 2 was a pretty easy game if you were careful enough. You could go through entire caves without losing any pikmin, and the monsters in general were quicker to kill. Not to mention the two sprays that pretty much broke the game.

Pikmin 1 and 3 are more unforgiving with how easy it is to lose pikmin. The enemies are tougher and bigger in those games. Personally, I hope Pikmin 4 follows Pikmin 2. The cave system was amazing. It was awesome to go through the gauntlets without needing to worry about time. Not to mention the treasures were always so much more fun than just finding fruit.

Sure, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Bolt_Strike argued that whenever a game doesn't include all the features from previous games, that these games are essentially behind, and haven't caught up with the franchise.

My thoughts on Pikmin, and not revelant to this topic: The idea that Pikmin 3 = Pikmin 1 + more is the exact reason why I liked the concept of Pikmin 3. They're not adding more and more (like the Pokémon franchise for example), but reinvent the game every single time. Or at least, I hope they will. For Pikmin 4, I'd rather see that they forgot 2 and 3 existed and made a new entry from scratch. Of course not literally, keep the good stuff, like multiple captains, but mostly start from scratch. I think that keeps the franchise fresh with every new iteration.

Even more off-topic: I actually didn't enjoy the cave system that much in Pikmin 2, it completely ignored the purpose of the game, having to strategise every move within a certain time limit. The caves completely eliminated that central aspect of the game.

Octane

Bolt_Strike

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

Octane wrote:

Well yeah, because Pikmin 3 is actually just Pikmin 1+ more. It's based around a time limit (though a very generous one unlike the first game). Pikmin 2 was a pretty easy game if you were careful enough. You could go through entire caves without losing any pikmin, and the monsters in general were quicker to kill. Not to mention the two sprays that pretty much broke the game.

Pikmin 1 and 3 are more unforgiving with how easy it is to lose pikmin. The enemies are tougher and bigger in those games. Personally, I hope Pikmin 4 follows Pikmin 2. The cave system was amazing. It was awesome to go through the gauntlets without needing to worry about time. Not to mention the treasures were always so much more fun than just finding fruit.

Sure, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Bolt_Strike argued that whenever a game doesn't include all the features from previous games, that these games are essentially behind, and haven't caught up with the franchise.

My thoughts on Pikmin, and not revelant to this topic: The idea that Pikmin 3 = Pikmin 1 + more is the exact reason why I liked the concept of Pikmin 3. They're not adding more and more (like the Pokémon franchise for example), but reinvent the game every single time. Or at least, I hope they will. For Pikmin 4, I'd rather see that they forgot 2 and 3 existed and made a new entry from scratch. Of course not literally, keep the good stuff, like multiple captains, but mostly start from scratch. I think that keeps the franchise fresh with every new iteration.

Even more off-topic: I actually didn't enjoy the cave system that much in Pikmin 2, it completely ignored the purpose of the game, having to strategise every move within a certain time limit. The caves completely eliminated that central aspect of the game.

You missed my point then. It wasn't simply that it was behind what past games had done. It's that all that they'd done to improve the experience was include things that have already been done before. There wasn't much genuinely new that they added that makes the experience worthwhile, they were just bringing back things from older games and acting like they were entirely new ideas.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf

@Bolt_Strike: except that's not actually true. I've given you a list of new stuff. You ignored it. You shrug everything off just because it's a vaguely similar concept to orevious games. Swimming is not just swimming. I thought I made that point extremely clear. You focus so much on some as laughable as the concept that I wonder if you even know there's a game beneath it. Seriously, look at the history of games. Concepts usually sound completely ridiculous on paper. The concept itself is extremely unimportant compared to the execution of that concept. Swimming is cool, I guess. The way it's handled in Tropical Freeze is brilliant, however. New partners sound nice. New partners that do completely different thinks in different scenarios and can drastically change how you approach a level are pretty awesome. Watching other people's speed runs sounds good. The fact that you can look up the best ones from the time attack menu as a method of finding the fastest route through a level is absolutely amazing. And you know, it's kinda funny that you keep bringing up the animal buddies when many of their powers are either unnecessary, now (Enguarde) or have been copied by one of the playable characters (Expresso and the frog I can't remember the name of.)

Inkling

Call me crazy, but I think it might be a new IP.

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

tysonfury

People don't really want a new Metroid Prime. They want the feeling they got when they first saw Metroid Prime. Remember that.

tysonfury

TuVictus

Uhh, I dunno. I'm pretty sure people just want a new Metroid Prime. But if they make something just as good/epic, I personally wouldn't mind. Just no more 2D platformers please.

TuVictus

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

Swimming is cool, I guess. The way it's handled in Tropical Freeze is brilliant, however.

Not at all. They just gave the Kongs the ability to attack (which Enguarde could already do), and added an air meter. That's not innovative at all.

UGXwolf wrote:

New partners sound nice. New partners that do completely different thinks in different scenarios and can drastically change how you approach a level are pretty awesome.

Too bad they don't actually do that. Having to make levels that can be completed with any characters removes this feeling, character choice isn't meaningful unless the characters can complete tasks that other characters can't.

UGXwolf wrote:

Watching other people's speed runs sounds good. The fact that you can look up the best ones from the time attack menu as a method of finding the fastest route through a level is absolutely amazing.

Not everyone cares about finding the fastest route through the level.

UGXwolf wrote:

And you know, it's kinda funny that you keep bringing up the animal buddies when many of their powers are either unnecessary, now (Enguarde) or have been copied by one of the playable characters (Expresso and the frog I can't remember the name of.)

Squitter's wasn't, the ability to create webs anywhere is one of the most amazing platforming abilities ever. Squawks would also be a good addition, as several of the characters can glide but none of them can truly fly like Squawks. They could also bring back Parry from DKC3, although he hardly counts as an animal buddy in the first place. I certainly wouldn't want to bring back Enguarde, Espresso, Winky, Rattly, or Ellie. Beyond that, I had an idea for a new animal buddy that takes advantage of TF's swimming mechanics, a jellyfish that the Kongs would ride around in his sac for infinite air and could electrify enemies and obstacles. So you would have Rambi, Squawks, Squitter, and the jellyfish, which would be a solid roster of animal buddies with unique and useful abilities from the Kongs.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

havokpants

f-zero nintendo trusted them to reboot metroid and it was a success and if it was showed at e3 it would crush fast racing neo's thunder

havokpants

Nintendo Network ID: HavokPants

RedDevilAde

F-Zero X Crazy Taxi a joint venture with SEGA

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

Haru17

havokpants wrote:

it's f-zero

In other news Naughty Dog is developing Jak X: Combat Racing Evolved.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

octoman2611

An original IP would be best I think. As great as the Prime and DKC games were, it's time to let someone else have them and allow Retro to create something new.

octoman2611

DefHalan

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: Revenge of King K. Rool

It is taking so long because they are not satisfied with the fur on Donkey Kong yet.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Blast

If it's not a RPG... time for war.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.